Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A New Players Guide to getting ahead in Stormreach.

With the Three year Anniversary upon us, I thought I'd take a little tme to address an ever growing Issue in DDO. THis is an issue that plagues all MMO's to a degree, but is especialy apparent in our fine game.

THis is of course, the overwelming feeling and attitude of "I started so late, I cant begin to catch up, Why bother playing?"

Fear not Young one, for Stormreach is Paved with Platinum and Rains gold..... Well, not really....but the techniques described below will efficiently generate wealth for you and help you get acilmated to the game.

The Forums:

The First thing I'll touch on is the Forums. Your ahead of the game already, you are HERE. Many people try to get into this game, and are overwhelmed but never try to take advantage of the wealth of information availabale here.

There are many many people on these forums that really like to hep people. you can make it Much easier on us by following a few easy guidelines.

THREAD TITLES:
    Make sure your thread titles attract attention. "Help!" isnt a good thread title, No One knows what you mean by that at a glance. Try to make your thread title convey some sort of Direction.
    If your having Technical issues with the game, Make sure to Include a DXDIAG in your post after describing the Issue.

Forum Name:
    It may be too late, but if you havent subscribed as of yet, Please consider what your Forum name says about you. If you expect to be taken seriously, dont have a rediculous name like "IPWNZU" or "IMDEHUBERZ". Avoid Offenive terms and connotations as well. Its just not apealing to many folks and will hurt you in the long run.

In Game:

Theres a few basic things in game that can help you get ahead. DDO is a pretty tight community. Its very easy to get accepted.... Or Blacklisted.

Voice Chat:
    No one really cares if you talk, but almost everyone at least expects people to Listen. First thing you should do is turn ON voice chat in your audio options when you make a character. THis allows you to at least hear what people are communicating to you.

If you do want to Speak:
    Please have a decent Mic. The $4.99 Walmart special sucks. I'm not sayingyou need to spend $100, but a nice $20-$40 headset and mic goes a long way. THe sound quality is much beter.
    Please use "Push To Talk". No one want to hear you eating doritos, yelling at your mom/wife/girlfriend, or simply breathing.
    Try to keep Conversations relevant. This can be tricky, many people like to jibber jabber while questing. Save it for friends. Most people couldnt possibly care less about your Pet Fish, Homework, Girlfriend, or strange rash.
    If your Male, please know that DDO is not a Dating service. THere are many women that play this game. Vulgar and rude comments are uncalled for and will quickly get you a rep as someone to avoid.
    On that same note, If you cant help but Swear and curse, Please stay off the Mic as well. This isnt XBox, THe DDO Community is very mature, We generally dont need random people we dont know well teaching us language that would make a sailor blush.

With that segway, Lets talk a bit about QUESTING!
    Korthos Island:

At the beginning of the game you will be in Korthos Island. THis can be a little tricky. Your first character will be forced to go through the tutorial mission. Its quick and will help you get accamated to the game and its controls.
    after the tutorial, you wil be in a "Snowy" version of Korthos Island. This can be an issue, as usually the only people in the "Snowy" korthos are people like yourself who are just starting the game. Being 3 Years old, we're not seeing hundreds of subs a day anymore.
    The good thing is that most of these korthos quests have a Solo option, or are at least very solo friendly. It will take you in the neighborhood of an hour to 3 to complete all the required quests in the starter area. once you complete "Misery's Peak" You can Join the "Sunny Korthos" and will have many more people to group with and can then book passage to Stormreach.

General Questing:

Finding Groups:
    Please dont expect Groups to Find you. the LFG (Looking for group) icon is highly ignored by most folks. Most low level quests simply dont need a full group to complete (Well, Most quests in the game really) so people will just put up a LFM and get going.
    Look at the Groups that are forming. The LFM function in DDO is exceptional. You can easily see what groups you qualify for level wise, what quests they are doing, and where people in those groups are at. Hover over the LFM Leaders name and it will show you whos in the group, and where they are. Dont be shy about joining groups, and when you do, Please let people know your new to the game or that you havent done the quest before.
    Often people will be very helpful, Show you around a bit, and take a little more time. Avoid the LFMs that state "ZERG" or "Speed Run" in the description. You will often just get left behind as people race to maximize leveling their new alt character.

If you cant find a group that suits you, dont be afraid to put up a LFM (Looking for More) Use the Create Party function to let people know your looking to do some questing. And dont be afraid to put "New to game, could use some guidence" in the LFM. There are many people inthis game that make it a habbit just to give new folks a hand. It also helps other newer players find YOU. Some of the best times I ever had in DDO were when the game was new and no one knew what was around the next corner.

SO whats next? Gearing up your guy and making money!
    Getting cool gear is pretty easy in Korthos Island. Many of the quests have very nice static reward items. Read the descrittions carfully of the end rewards here. Many items have anothe ritem that cmpletes the "Set" to offer even more powerful enhancments. Even many verterans make it to level 8 or so before they even worry about upgrading the items they get from Korthos island.

Once you get out of Korthos, its time to step it up just a bit.

Accumulating Wealth and Items

There are several ways to make money in DDO. The easiset is knowing what items are desireable and how and where to sell them.

there are lots of ways get the plat flowing. The first and easist is to know where to sell the items you pick up.

See this page of the Wiki for Important information on where to sell stuff and what quests you need to do to get the best prices.
    http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Haggle

You should be able to easily tackle the "Waterworks" quest at level 2 or 3 and STK at level 3 or 4. these are the 2 most important quest chains once you escape the lowbie area (Korthos Island) for they grant you the bump in selling in common taverns and they provide much needed "Coin Lord" Favor for expanding your Backpack Space.

Many of the items you loot from chests and get from end rewards will be terrible. Most of them even. But loot every gem, Scroll and potion you get out of chests, Dont be afraid to ask for items left for others in the bottom of the chest. Many vets simply leave items in the chest at low levels because they are of no use to them. It only takes a second for them to switch the items over to your name.

Scan your end rewards list carefully. If there isnt a nice weapon or item, get the highest value weapon in the list.

Most items you'll just sell off at the bar or brokers. The following items you want to save for either Use on your character or sale on the Auction House.

Weapon Tips:
    Weapons of "Pure Good" with No other Modifiers.
    Weapons <Elemental Effect> of Pure Good
    "Ghost Touch of PG" Can usually get ya something as well. Very handy for quests like Delaras.

Some weapons Sell better that others as well.

Rapiers are always hot.
    Great Axes are close.
    Mauls
    Shortswords
    Longswords
    Khopesh
    Dwarf Axes

Still desireable, but not nearly as popular are
    Scimitars
    Maces
    Kukri
    Kamas
    Battle Axes

The rest are pretty much hit or miss most of the time.

Now, dont get the wrong idea.... These weapons are NOT common in the low levels at all, you will come across a few by the time your running Delaras or Stormcleave.

You wont see many weapons better than the above up to level 8 or so. But keep an eye out for "Bursting" versions of the above as well.
    Stat Item Tips:
    The second items we are looking for are Plain +1 Stat Items. These are pretty common in the low levels and also sell quite well.
    Example: +1 STR Gloves or +1 CHR Ring.
    Again, these will sell for much over their base value on the AH.

Keep only what you NEED. I would suggest only hanging onto weapons you want to use. the build above will do the best with Great Axes. They swing fast and do excellent damage. ANything else you pull (Or find) should be popped onthe AH right away.

Skill Item Tips:
    THird are Skill Items.
    Rogue +3 SKill Items (DD,OL,Search,Spot) (But these have decreased since the Korthos kit is easy to obtain now)
    Haggle +3 is handy to have and can get a little more on the AH than you'l get from a Broker.
    Plain Striding Items

Auction House Tips:.
    ALWAYS list for 3 Days. (Expose the product to as many people as possible)
    ALWAYS Put a Buy out. (People buying these items want them NOW. THe will most likely outgrow them before the average auction expires)
    Start at Base Price and enter a reasonable Buyout. Search the AH for similar items. keep yur prices inline or a little lower.

The above items can sell Quickly on the AH in the range of 1,000 Plat to 10,000plat or more.

Other items that can sell well ont he AH.
    the "Featherfalling Ring" Drops out of the end chest from STK. can bring in several milion gold. You'll want at least one for yourself, But after youhave yourself equipt, SELL EM.
    Mithral or "Elven" armor. Particually Mithral Full Plate and Chain Shirts. THe Mithral Property increases the Dex bonus allowable on your armor. this rare metalurgical property increases the value substantialy.

Work the AH efficiently:
    Always take a look if what you have to list is already listed by someone else 2 Reasons for this. First, it will give you a basic idea of what things will sel for on your server. The economies will vary a little bit.
    If you see the same or similar item take notice... Is there a Buyout? are there More than one? Whats the rice range? For quick sale, price your item a little less than the rest. If there snt a buyout, you can usually dismiss that listing. Most power gamers are done with lowbie twink weapons before an average auction expires.I will not wait 3 days to buy a weapon I want for 2k Plat when I buy one out immediatly for 10k plat.

Use the Brokers to your advantage:
    THis brings me to my next point..... WORK THE BROKERS. Many people either dont know a weapon is valuble or simply dont care. THey will sell stuff to the brokers all the time that can fetch much more on the AH. They just cant be bothered. This is where you come in.
    Scan the Weapon, jewelry, and Clothing broker in the RUsty Nail often. (Located in the Marketplace area) See a +1 Frost Batleaxe? BUY IT and list it on the AH for a profit. See +1 STR Gloves? BUY EM. Sell em on the AH.this cycle can net you some great plat in no time.
    Once your up in levels and ave some coin to your name, frequent the Broker in House Denith. The lowbie broker there often has XXX of PG weapons for a steal. Buy em, run across to the AH Dude, and Sell em.

So thats the basics on Weapons and Items on the AH and Brokers....

Collectables:
    The next area where there is plat to be made is COLLECTABLES. There are NONE in korthos island. But once you get to the harbor, they are plentiful. Many collectables are useless for all practical purposes, but some are quite handy. Its best to hit them all and sort em out later. the following are the most desireables though.

Mushrooms: these can be traded in for various healing supplies. very nice for supplying yourself in the early stages as mushrooms are everywhere.

this next group are the Collectables that are used in DDO's version of Crafting. Its realy more ritual additions to items than it is crafting, but many some of the most desired benefits come from rare low level colectables. they are boring to farm and can demand rediculous prices onthe AH.

One of the most desired rituals is the +1 AC ritual. the RItual Requires
    15 sets of Prayer Beads
    5 Vials of Pure water.
    Prayer beads are common. They drop from Kobolds mostly, and drop often. stacks of 15 can easily be sold for about 1000 plat.
    Vials of Pure water are a bit more rare. but you'll come across them often enough if your hittin every sparkly on your journey. check your AH, but stacks of 5 Vials of Water can sell for anywhere from 5k-10k plat usually.

THe next ritual is alone the same lines. +1 AC to your Sheild. A little less desireable as many players dont go the Sword and board route anymore, but still can make good money. THis Ritual requires:
    6 Silver Flame Hymnals
    2 Tomes: Prophecies of Khyber
    The Hymnals are pretty common and sell for around 1-5k per stack of 6, the Tomes are much more rare and I've seen them go for 5-10k plate EACH.

The Third item many people are after is the most profitable. +1 Resistance Ritual. this requires:
    4 Lightning-Split Soarwoods
    22 Funerary Tokens.
    now, the tokens drop everywhere from undead. Mostly frm Skeletons, but those darn Lightning split soarwoods are RARE. I have seem them sell on the AH for close to 1 MILLION GOLD EACH.
    They go like hotcakes for 500k Gold. Its insane. Finding that lightning-split soarwood is like finding stacks and stacks of gold.

Other items used in Rituals include
    Luminescent Dusts, Sparkling Dusts, Deadly Feverblanch mushrooms, and Fragrant Drowshood mushrooms. Keep an eye out for these as they also sell well on the AH.

So to close out, I'm going to recap the best places to sell and buy stuff.

MarketPlace:
    The Rusty Nail:

Jewelry Brokers: All Levels
    Clothing Brokers: All Levels
    Weapon Broker: L1-2
    Armor Broker: L1-2
    General Vendor:
    Wand Vendor:
    Potion Vendor:

House Deneith:

Fare Trades:
    Weapon Broker: Levels 4-16

House Kundarak:

Second Gauntlet Goods:
    Armor Brokers: Levels 4-16

So there ya have it.. Good Luck on your Journey through Stormreach!

----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any additional tips for me, I'd be happy to add them in. Or if I made any grevious errors, I'm sure you'll let me know as well.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

very nice thread, went without any exposure, so I"m givin ya a /bump here. Your guides are always excellent impaqt.
    Arannel, Aqueous, Cocobolo, Arboreous, Erudirion, Congruous, and Cogs
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by valorik View Post
    very nice thread, went without any exposure
    This is the forums. If it doesn't spawn an argument, or polish an epeen, it sinks into the abyss.

Nice entry level outline...I wonder if something along these lines would get better exposure in the Compendium? Just thinking out loud, maybe to talk myself into using it. I rarely do, and have no experience posting to a wiki, but I've been wondering if some of the topics folks have been addressing on the forums shouldn't be moved up there (eventually).

I didnt read it all, but in case it wasnt in there you should add something about trial accounts being unable to send tells. Somewhere in the sunny vs winter korthos maybe. Or possibly the part about grouping.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Wow, I've been selling my +1 stat items for 1500 GOLD ... boy have I been dumb (cheap?)

Very nice starter guide. I'd also suggest:

Are there still two mushroom collectors in the harbor? The one near Cerulean Hills gives better potions - the other one gives too many tumbling pots.

You touched on Coin Lord favor, maybe emphasize how helpful the extra backpack slots can be?

Using the Cerulean Hills explorer area if they can't find a group, are waiting for friends to log on, or don't have enough time for a quest; benefits are xp, loot, and a chance to practice combat skills. When they do that, post a LFM saying "Ceruelan Hills for slayer/xp" and others will come and go from the group as they are able.

Thanks for all your guide work, Impaqt!
    Narran Wolfreyr (Elven Tempest Ranger 18 /Rogue 1 /Monk 1)
    Gnargha (the Beautiful) (HOrc Frenzied Berserker 20/4)
    Tigrata Azulena (TR'd supercaster in progress)
    Eternal Champions, Thelanis & Argo

Thumbs up Nice guide

Just wanted to give you props. I wish I would have read it when I first started. Highly informative.

may want to flesh out how to get off snowy korthos

How to get off snowy korthos:
    Heyton's rest
    The Storehouse's Secret
    The Cannith Crystal
    The Collaborator
    Redemption
    Misery's Peak
    /TELL Tackilack ~ Tackalack ~ Taq ~ Heartattack ~ Scrooge

Thank you for this guide. I'm about to jump into the game for the first time and it's provided me with some handy info!

Wink

Thank you for this. I just have one question:

You mention "the build above does well with this weapon", what build? I went nuts scrolling up and down looking for said build!

Quote Originally Posted by coldname View Post
    Thank you for this. I just have one question:

You mention "the build above does well with this weapon", what build? I went nuts scrolling up and down looking for said build!
    My original document included a basic 28pt build but I decided against including it. I'll be making some revisions to the guide shortly for DDO:U
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Good guide, +1 rep.

Only feedback I'd add is to include a special section for wizards instructing them how to add spells to their spellbook, and letting them know that not all spells are available in scroll form.
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    My original document included a basic 28pt build but I decided against including it. I'll be making some revisions to the guide shortly for DDO:U

Awesome. Thanks very much. I felt a little silly asking, but I had to be sure I was still on my rocker.
    Last edited by coldname; 07-16-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Free Aranticus!

Community Member

Default Thanks, but I have question still

Great post thanks. As a new player, I've had plenty of questions answered by reading this and others posting. I just have one question. What is STK and how do I activate LFM?

Ok, that's really 2 questions, but the point is, being a noob, I don't understand the acronyms.

Thanks,

Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by Bl1zzard View Post
    Great post thanks. As a new player, I've had plenty of questions answered by reading this and others posting. I just have one question. What is STK and how do I activate LFM?

Ok, that's really 2 questions, but the point is, being a noob, I don't understand the acronyms.

Thanks,

Blizz
    Theres a thread around here somewhere with all the common acronyms in DDO... STK is "Halls of Shan-to-Kor" Quest chain. Its Premium Content in the Marketplace areas steamtunnels.

TO put up an LFM you just hit "Create" in the grouping screen. It will pop up a window where you can set the level range (IMPORTANT!), Select the quest, select which character classes you want to include in your LFM, and add any comments you wish. thenjust hit "UPDATE" and it will get posted to the LFM Board.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Default Thanks!

Read your post and checked my bags, I discovered that I had looted a lightning split soarwood. Never knew to even look before. That should trade nicely.

Community Member

Thanks for the guide.

If I'm a newb that will mostly solo, group a small amount, and only raid 1 in a million chance, should I try to save collectables for the +1 AC, +Resistance Rituals?

Or should I just sell the mats and buy myself cool toys to solo with?

Community Member

Finrod, my GUESSE would be sell and have cool toys. Most posts state late-game money is not a big issue, and IMO Impaqt would have included a disclaimer if there were late game issues. So that when you need them, you either buy on the AH or farm them.

TY Impaqt for your posts, and correct me if wrong. (BTW: I love your 20 rogue dual khopesh build).

-Huck

Quote Originally Posted by Finrodd View Post
    Thanks for the guide.

If I'm a newb that will mostly solo, group a small amount, and only raid 1 in a million chance, should I try to save collectables for the +1 AC, +Resistance Rituals?

Or should I just sell the mats and buy myself cool toys to solo with?
    Sell the mats. The main way I make money is by selling collectibles for rituals. Well that and smashing every breakable and picking up and selling EVERYTHING that drops that I can't use. All those stacks of coppers add up.

Quote Originally Posted by jackabat View Post
    The point of being a pure rogue isn't handling traps, it's murdering people.

Community Member

Man I wish I would have known about this thread about a week ago. I pretty much squandered a bunch of collectibles already just trading them in for 20 masterwork throwing axes and **** like that. And I may still have some things sitting on the broker for a fraction of their worth right now not to mention just vendoring a bunch of other stuff that apparently had some value.
    Last edited by bloodlet1; 02-27-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Community Member

Lots of good info here, i didnt know half the stuff i read!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast