Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Onysablet View Post
    Actually only the will save part of the spell is illusion, the necromantic part is the dying from fright. PK is both illusion and necro thus one saving throw to believe an illusion (will save) and one to avoid dying of fright (fort save). Deathward protects from the necromantic half of the spell.
    No it is only illusion according to d20srd:

Phantasmal Killer

Illusion (Phantasm) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Target: One living creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with), then Fortitude partial; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a phantasmal image of the most fearsome creature imaginable to the subject simply by forming the fears of the subject’s subconscious mind into something that its conscious mind can visualize: this most horrible beast. Only the spell’s subject can see the phantasmal killer. You see only a vague shape. The target first gets a Will save to recognize the image as unreal. If that save fails, the phantasm touches the subject, and the subject must succeed on a Fortitude save or die from fear. Even if the Fortitude save is successful, the subject takes 3d6 points of damage.

If the subject of a phantasmal killer attack succeeds in disbelieving and is wearing a helm of telepathy, the beast can be turned upon you. You must then disbelieve it or become subject to its deadly fear attack.
    There is nowhere said that it uses necromancy. Fear effect is because you believe something(illusion which is what this spell does) to be true, not from spell itself.
    Last edited by Xylitol; 04-22-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    No it is only illusion according to d20srd:

There is nowhere said that it uses necromancy. Fear effect is because you believe something(illusion which is what this spell does) to be true, not from spell itself.

Agreed, PK is not necro

Community Member Lucian_Navarro's Avatar

Default My two copper...

After spending a little time on the Tri-Lamda server I am more prepared to give proper feedback regarding the new spells for Arcane Casters and how usefull they are. Rather than giving details to the pro's and con's I will give a simple usefull rating.

Acid Spray - Usefull

Chain Missiles - Usefull

Prismatic Spray - Usefull

Repair Critical Damage, Mass - Usefull

Meteor Swarm - Not Usefull

Mordenkainen’s Disjunction - Not usefull

Power Word: Kill - Not Usefull

Wail of the Banshee - Usefull

Summon Monster IX - Usefull

Energy Drain - Usefull

A Not Usefull rating does not mean it should not be used but rather I expect the majority will opt to skip on memorizing these spells.

P.S. Can someone give me a stick to scrape The Cube from the bottom of my sandle?
    Last edited by Lucian Navarro; 04-27-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Change Power Word: Kill to do damage instead. Have it do 300 damage, let that dmg be able to be maximized, empowered etc. You now have a good spell that costs a bit more than disentergrate but we still will get decent dmg from it. Those few times we Crit will be extra nice. Figure that a lvl 6 Disentergrate @ lvl 20 will be 40d6 dmg so 40-240 dmg. This would be in line.

Give nukers, and even wizzies a new direct dmg spell. Instead of a useless spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian Navarro View Post
    After spending a little time on the Tri-Lamda server I am more prepared to give proper feedback regarding the new spells for Arcane Casters and how usefull they are. Rather than giving details to the pro's and con's I will give a simple usefull rating.

Acid Spray - Usefull

Chain Missiles - Usefull

Prismatic Spray - Usefull

Repair Critical Damage, Mass - Usefull

Meteor Swarm - Not Usefull

Mordenkainen’s Disjunction - Not usefull

Power Word: Kill - Not Usefull

Wail of the Banshee - Usefull

Summon Monster IX - Usefull

Energy Drain - Usefull

A Not Usefull rating does not mean it should not be used but rather I expect the majority will opt to skip on memorizing these spells.

P.S. Can someone give me a stick to scrape The Cube from the bottom of my sandle?
    How do you play your castor and what server do you play on? I mean, are you a zerging powergamer or a more traditional player of D&D?

So, I'm not sure if I'm reading this right...is Implosion pretty much Wail of the Banshee, only as a duration AoE during which you can be spamming any other spells you want? Unless the duration and range on this is ridiculously short, then this spell seems to be even more ridiculously over powered.
    ~Argonnessen~
    -----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel Whisper
    You, sir, are an evil genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdominion View Post
    So, I'm not sure if I'm reading this right...is Implosion pretty much Wail of the Banshee, only as a duration AoE during which you can be spamming any other spells you want? Unless the duration and range on this is ridiculously short, then this spell seems to be even more ridiculously over powered.
    Try the spell out. It's quite different.

Wail - everything near you that is *ALIVE* has to make a save, now.

Implosion - ONE creature near you that has a *BODY* has to make a save, now. It's uncommon to land this on many targets unless you're swarmed, it does not last very long, but it's ability to work on say skeletons and other such stuff with bodies is nifty.
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Solmage View Post
    Implosion - ONE creature near you that has a *BODY* has to make a save, now. It's uncommon to land this on many targets unless you're swarmed, it does not last very long, but it's ability to work on say skeletons and other such stuff with bodies is nifty.
    Interesting. That'll be the third time DDO has violated the D&D rule that undead are immune to any effect that offers a fortitude save, unless the effect is harmless or works on objects.

I can't say it's really a bad thing for the list of spells which work on undead to grow a little.

Community Member

I wish they would add Evard's Black Tentacles. Is is really that hard? Come on Atari, you did it in NWN...

Honestly dont see why they just dont add as much from dnd as they can into these kind of games.

Lucian, meteor swarm is one of the few spells that will damage Raiyum on epic.
    A rabbi with whom everyone agrees is not a rabbi.
    A rabbi with whom everyone disagrees is not a mensch.

Quote Originally Posted by Asialee View Post
    Spisey, you are a epic item no one can match your skillzs :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I think a full group of level 20s butt naked riding zebras should be able to beat part 1 even if the only portal DPS is said zebras kicking the portals with their hind legs as us Wisconsinites try to tip them over sideways and laugh about it afterward.

Any new spells for update 2?

Community Member

Cool bump-and-a-half ;)

I know this is an old topic, but I was wondering if there's any chance that my all-time 1st-level arcane spell 'Chromatic Sphere' will join the DDO ranks someday?

It's a nice spell with effects that follow higher levels, with the included save (incentive for SP and the like).

IMO A true roleplaying spell which has the capability of adding some fun here and there.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567