Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Power Word: Kill is scaled. link
    Just maybe not enough.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Inspire View Post
    By "useful" do you mean spells that mobs dont have blanket immunities against? If so I agree
    What is there currently? Mass heal, Irresistible Dance and... oopps, nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by noilli View Post
    I'm looking here and the only spells we don't have yet that could be useful in DDO are Geas (it could be like a Charm Person without a save or something) and Eyebite. Maybe instead of Eyebite being tied to HD the different effects could have different saving throws.
    There are other books Turbine could use. Spell Compendium being one of them.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Discuss the upcoming Module 9 feature: new spells!

Here are the details, as mentioned in Kate Paiz's Letter To Players:
    * Mordenkainen’s Disjunction - Awesome. Now enemies get an even more powerful dispel (like they needed it) which is guaranteed to take all our buffs AND now equipment too. Thanks. Now if only WE had a use for the spell.
    * Wail of the Banshee - Please tell me this has a decent range. I'm tired of having spells limited to the standard haste circle size.
    * Energy Drain - So now we have to deal with enemies spamming this for a guaranteed -8 levels instead of the guaranteed -4 from enervation, while when we use it we get minimal neg levels on the monster.
    Legion
    Mirtta, Murtta, Miirta, Murrta, Mirtaa, Mirrta, Muurta, Murta, Mirta, Mertaa, Mertta, Chiye, Meerta, Merrta, Murtaa, Unlubricated, Hastes, Naming, Auctionsalot, Griefs, Serrendor, Deathznatch, Harassing, Pikenstein

Awesome for the most part.

Meteor swarm would be niec to have some blunt damage in there.

Power word Kill - level 5 monsters have more than 300 hit points - so utterly useless as rendered. Scorching ray can kill stuff under 300 hit points too, and doesnt take up a level 9 spell slot. Make PWK do 1000 damage, no save, untyped. Anything under that hp will die, anything over....takes 1000 damage. That will make it a useful spell.

Prismatic spray - potentially a great spell if it does all the effects in the book - pretty lame is it just does 70 damage and blinds on a failed save.

More force spells = awesomeness, however something higher than 3/4 would be nice.

More acid/electric spells would be nice as well, something for every level or at least every other level.

More walls.

Implosion - my cleric is giddy over waiting for this spell. And no deathward should not protect because its physical, not a necromatic spell!

Summon monster - a good aligned monster would be nice.

Disjunction - as stated - like dispel magic it is far, far more griefing to players if monsters can cast it. Dispeling a monster is a waste of time when your fighting 200 monsters in a quest, however it is a deadly, deadly spell when those 200 monsters are ALL casting a major debuff on the players every 2 seconds with unlimited mana. So....unless very, very few monsters have access to it there are going to be a lot of painful quests, and angry players when faced with this.

Wait of the Banshee - sonic/death - make it a bard 6 spell too? Bards need some spell love. And yeah if the range is only the standard circle it will be a bit of a disappointment.

I didn't see a duration listed for Implosion. Does this mean that spell lasts for the duration of the instance?

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Makdar View Post
    I didn't see a duration listed for Implosion. Does this mean that spell lasts for the duration of the instance?
    In D&D, it lasts up to four rounds.

Discuss the upcoming Module 9 feature: new spells!

Here are the details, as mentioned in Kate Paiz's Letter To Players:
    [...]
    Mordenkainen’s Disjunction (Level: Sor/Wiz 9) A powerful force disrupts magical effects on the target, removing ongoing spells that have been cast on a target. You must make a caster level check of 1d20 + your caster level (no maximum) versus 11 + the spell's caster level to remove a spell effect, and your target must make a Will save for each equipped item or all magical properties on them are temporarily disabled.[...]
    Does Mordenkainen's Disjunction also lowers spell resistance of the target by 10 for the duration of the effect and stacks with the -3SR from items and assassin's soul shattering?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mirta View Post
    * Wail of the Banshee - Please tell me this has a decent range. I'm tired of having spells limited to the standard haste circle size.
    In D&D there are two mass-death spells on the wizard 9 list: Weird and Wail of Banshee. (Or Mass PK and Mass Finger)
    Weird is weaker because it allows both Will and Fort saves, so it'll need some boost to make it balanced in DDO. The natural way to improve it is for it to work on more targets, either by having a larger area or a higher headcount-limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post

Implosion - my cleric is giddy over waiting for this spell. And no deathward should not protect because its physical, not a necromatic spell!
    PK is illusion and deathward protects also against it. So I dont see why it wont protect against implosion even if it is not necromantic spell...

Wait of the Banshee - sonic/death - make it a bard 6 spell too? Bards need some spell love. And yeah if the range is only the standard circle it will be a bit of a disappointment.
    I dont think that bards shoud get one of the most powerfull arcane attack spells. That would make wizard/sorcerors pretty much obsolete (bards having others usefull things. Wizard/Sorcerors just have their better offencive magic).
    Last edited by Xylitol; 03-01-2009 at 04:42 AM.

* Mordenkainen’s Disjunction - Awesome. Now enemies get an even more powerful dispel (like they needed it) which is guaranteed to take all our buffs AND now equipment too. Thanks. Now if only WE had a use for the spell.
    Mord's agreed totaly though i gues sit would be HORRABLE in PVP... you know many tanks might have less then 300 hp with Zero magic items!!!

Well Since haste has 30 foot range in PnP betwene all members and Wail is like 60 foot or somthing similar, it should be a Heck of a LOT bigger then haste, weather it really will be remains to be determined.
    Prophits of the New Republic-- Khyber--PnP Vetren of more years then I wish to admit
    Desteria MoonStar-Sorc20--Mcgruf The Crime Dog-Dwarf Ftr12/Pal3/Rgr5
    Annibelle of the Woods-Rgr20--St.Fut H'Tennek-H-Orc Barb 20
    Kwaiii Chang Caine-Monk 20--Sandradee-Bard 3

Meteor Swarm (Level: Sor/Wiz 9) Causes four 2-foot-diameter spheres to spring forth and streak in straight lines toward a target, leaving fiery trails of sparks. The meteors explode on impact, dealing fire damage to targets in the area. Unlike most other projectile spells, the caster can arc these meteors if they have no target selected.
    I dont see how this is going to better than DBF unless it has blunt damage included and no save from direct hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Desteria View Post
    Mord's agreed totaly though i gues sit would be HORRABLE in PVP... you know many tanks might have less then 300 hp with Zero magic items!!!
    I actually laughted when I read about disjunction. Wizard/Sorcerors are going to have good time in PVP

**Energy Drain (Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9) A black ray of crackling negative energy suppresses the life force of any living creature it strikes, granting an enemy 2d4 negative levels. If the target has as many negative levels as its hit dice or levels, it dies. Each negative level gives a creature a -1 penalty on attack rolls, saves, skill checks, ability checks, and effective level. Negative levels stack.

Of all the new spells I look forward to this one the most. I am not a big fan of enervation but since this one is 2d4 and that is an ave of 4 levels and will make a huge difference in chance to fail save.

It is hard to comment on most of the new spells since we don't really know what kind of hp/dps changes we will see in the new mod.

Thanks for the preview tho!
    Coregath - Warforged - 16 Sorc
    Tilgath - Human - 16 sorc
    Corgoth - Human - 16 pally
    "Compare your lives to mine and then kill yourselves!" -Bender

my guess on weird and wail is this

wail will be a cone type effect reaching out from you (see cone of cold/fear spells)

weird will be a distance spell centered on the mob you select (see mass hold person)

Mass heal - 250 max??? hmm... so much for clerics needing a devotion item... my poor lorriks set is nerfed lol...

Wail - im hoping this has a limit (say max 4 or d6 or something similar to chain lighting)
    Wierd? - im hoping they add this with no limit.

Power word kill - I agree, all powerwords should have a save if the target is above the max allowed hp...

Acid/force spells good
    Something to compare with Wall of fire and polar ray would be nice though....
    Maybe have acid rain do 2d4 +1 per caster level??

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Useful level 6 bard spells should be a priority.
    Heal?
    Mass hold monster?

I know they aren't on the bard spell list, but bards need some love

* Energy Drain - So now we have to deal with enemies spamming this for a guaranteed -8 levels instead of the guaranteed -4 from enervation, while when we use it we get minimal neg levels on the monster.
    There is a quest in necro that gives an item
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    Heal?
    Mass hold monster?
    Heal would be a nice Spellsinger III reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Heal would be a nice Spellsinger III reward.
    If I had my way the Bard PREs would go as follows:

Spellsinger: Focus on spellcasting, bonus healing spells like heal and maybe access to raise dead (couldn't think of other related healing spells, maybe the next cure mass)?

Warchanter: As currently, improvements to damage/attack songs, maybe access to more powerful combat buffing spells.

Virtuoso: Would focus on the other bardic music, facinating, maybe more on the debuff songs.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    Spellsinger: Focus on spellcasting, bonus healing spells like heal and maybe access to raise dead (couldn't think of other related healing spells, maybe the next cure mass)
    I think we agree but just do clarify, you also include crowd-control spells?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast