Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default New Spells in Module 9

Discuss the upcoming Module 9 feature: new spells!

Here are the details, as mentioned in Kate Paiz's Letter To Players:
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Producer, Kate Paiz
    ...spells that are going to be added in Mod9:
    • Acid Spray (Level: Sor/Wiz 1) A cone of burning acid shoots forth, damaging targets in the area of the spray for 1d4 damage per caster level (max 5d4). A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by half.
    • Chain Missiles (Level: Sor/Wiz 3) A missile of magical energy darts forth and unerringly strikes its target inflicting 1d4+1 force damage. For every 2 caster levels beyond first you gain an additional missile, up to 10 missiles. After striking your target, the missiles explode outwards, striking other creatures near the primary target.
    • Prismatic Spray (Level: Sor/Wiz 7) A brilliant cone of multicolored light projects from your finger, blinding weak targets and producing one or more random effects.
    • Repair Critical Damage, Mass (Level: Sor/Wiz 8) Transmutes the structure of living construct allies to repair 4d8 +1 per caster level damage.
    • Meteor Swarm (Level: Sor/Wiz 9) Causes four 2-foot-diameter spheres to spring forth and streak in straight lines toward a target, leaving fiery trails of sparks. The meteors explode on impact, dealing fire damage to targets in the area. Unlike most other projectile spells, the caster can arc these meteors if they have no target selected.
    • Mordenkainen’s Disjunction (Level: Sor/Wiz 9) A powerful force disrupts magical effects on the target, removing ongoing spells that have been cast on a target. You must make a caster level check of 1d20 + your caster level (no maximum) versus 11 + the spell's caster level to remove a spell effect, and your target must make a Will save for each equipped item or all magical properties on them are temporarily disabled.
    • Power Word: Kill (Level: Sor/Wiz 9) A single word of power is uttered, instantly killing a target creature with 300 or fewer hit points.
    • Wail of the Banshee (Level: Sor/Wiz 9) A terrible scream kills creatures who hear it. A successful Fortitude save negates this effect.
    • Summon Monster IX (Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9) Summons a hezrou to fight for you for a brief time. Casting this spell locks out casting any other Summon Monster spell for 5 minutes.
    • Energy Drain (Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9) A black ray of crackling negative energy suppresses the life force of any living creature it strikes, granting an enemy 2d4 negative levels. If the target has as many negative levels as its hit dice or levels, it dies. Each negative level gives a creature a -1 penalty on attack rolls, saves, skill checks, ability checks, and effective level. Negative levels stack.
    • True Resurrection (Level: Clr 9) Resurrects the target, restores all of the target's hit points, and preserves current spell points.
    • Heal, Mass (Level: Clr 9) Casts Heal on multiple targets. Channels powerful positive energy into allies to wipe away injury and afflictions, restore 10 hit points per caster level (max 250hp), and remove ability damage and the conditions blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, and poisoned. Against undead this spell acts as Harm. Undead who make a successful Will save reduce the damage by half.
    • Implosion (Level: Clr 9) You create a destructive resonance field around you, causing nearby corporeal enemies to collapse in upon themselves, killing them instantly. A successful Fortitude save negates this effect. Every few seconds, an enemy within your aura will be affected by this spell, but you are free to perform other actions while it is active.
    Last edited by Tolero; 02-28-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Having a force and repair specced caster a lot of these spells are making me very happy. Especially since now I can target more then one wf in a raid when healing and the energy drain and wail of the banshee im still bouncing from seeing that one this is amazing ^_^ thanks for posting it Tolero I am liking what I see a whole lot.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    Having a force and repair specced caster a lot of these spells are making me very happy. Especially since now I can target more then one wf in a raid when healing and the energy drain and wail of the banshee im still bouncing from seeing that one this is amazing ^_^ thanks for posting it Tolero I am liking what I see a whole lot.
    2d4, stackable drain ftw wahoooo...

okay, back to the cave..

R
    ---------------------
    Faskin-Lorich-Lorichae-Lorichei-Loriches-Lorichh-Lorichha-Lorichie-Lorichies-Lorichiette-Lorichisoul-Lorricch-Lorrich

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    Dang right friend, looking forward to this
    **As the Great Emu is one with the hill, so am I with the Great Emu.**
    PlatinumKnightsddo.us

No Black Blade of Disaster? *Sighs*
    Proud Leader of the Shadowhand.

A is A. -John Galt

some nice spells but no prismatic wall or sphere.... doh... guess its still firewall ftw

also note pls pls pls pls pls give us some kind of improved or greater or even superior combustion 9
    Last edited by Xaxx; 02-28-2009 at 11:05 AM.

I predict that Mordenkainen’s Disjunction is going to cause massive, massive lag. Plus, there will probabally be an issue similar to the Sever bug, where the effects remain after the spell duration is up.
    Akori-Fighter Iroka-Sorcerer Censured-Rogue Isilti-Cleric Tony-Sorcerer Duress-Cleric Elaril-Fighter Avatard-Fighter Mitigation-Paladin Loose-Bard Shiken-Fighter Unreasonably-Barbarian Jueh-Monk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Discuss the upcoming Module 9 feature: new spells!
    Acid Spray: Trivial addition, doesn't hurt. Needed for the (later) sorcerer Acid Savant enhancement.

Chain Missiles: Good to get some more use out of purple blastiness. This spell is something I'd recommended. Note that it's important to boost the damage above what the D&D books give, because that spell's damage against secondary targets is laughably weak.

Prismatic Spray: Cool, flashy spell. The D&D version has the ability to send the target to a random plane, which hopefully will be present in DDO as a "Dismissal" effect that works regardless of the creature being extraplanar.

Repair Mass: This is something that was obviously needed for balance with Cure spells. It's additionally important because it allows sorcs to train Repair in their spell slots for lev 5, 7, or 8.

Meteor Swarm: Well, this is already in DDO as a greensteel clicky. The current version is too weak for a level 9 spell, because the fire damage is distributed in 4 chunks, quadrupling the power of Fire Resist buffs. It should be fixed by adding a component of bludgeon damage, like how Cometfall works. Additionally, the D&D rule could be followed to disallow reflex saves for characters directly hit. It's not clear what is meant by "arc these meteors".

Mordenkainen's Disjunction: As is well-known for games of this type, debuff spells are generally much more effective against players than against monsters (because the average monster is going to be killed in a short time regardless). Against spells this is little different from GDM, but the ability to turn off magic items is unique and new, and presumably will make Will saves important in a few special encounters (I cannot believe the devs would allow mobs to make wide use of this spell). Possibly there will be some raid bosses with gear-buffs on them that can be removed with Disjunction (it's been promised that the Black Abbot will suffer from it)

Power Word Kill: Following a pattern of broad uselessness with the other Power Words. Here is advice to fix them: Instead of a strict hitpoint cutoff, allow a save for targets above X hp, with bonuses on the save according to their further hps.

Wail of the Banshee: That was very predictable, except for how it conflicts with Weird. I'd have expected the devs to lean first towards providing Weird, which is a weaker mass instakill since it allows both Will and Fort saves. I thought they'd shy away from a true Mass Finger of Death equivalent, but maybe it's limited to only a couple creatures at once.

Summon Monster IX: Hezrou will probably continue the pattern of useful/useless of Summon Monster I-VIII.

Energy Drain: As a greater version of the existing Enervate spell it was very predictable. But what's significant is that it also goes to clerics, which removes a distinctive advantage of the wiz/sor classes: now someone else can repeatedly debuff a non-boss mob until he will fail all saves.

True Rez: Boring and predictable. Too bad it doesn't have some feature to reduce the duration of the death penalty you suffer.

Mass Heal: Unavoidably obvious. The interesting note is that it doesn't appear to have any special limitation, which some players speculated would be needed so that it isn't overpowered.

Implosion: Nice that it's delayed action, instead of being a direct clone of Wail of the Banshee. I wonder if Deathward will block it, though...
    Last edited by Angelus_dead; 02-28-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Good points AD the only thing I slightly disagree on is the energy drain having a cleric I like seeing them give other options to help the party out besides being a heal bot and given the way the capstone will be for pure clerics anything I can do besides raise people and keep up health bars to enjoy a quest is greatly appreciated. Now I can go on elite raids and say hey I have energy drain loaded i'll cover this then spot heal like I do when im casting other debilitating and debuff spells.

And hehe yeah Gum I never mind being the healer of the wf in a raid and im looking forward to not just having to target one cause ive been on many raids where ive looked after 2-3 wf with reconstruct or repair and this will make it easier on Kal big time.

Love all except Power Word Kill...

What monster in end game has less than 300 Hit points... Maybe the lil fire battys...maybe not

This hit point cap needs to be raised SIGNIFICANTLY
    Ghinsuu, Spikey, Preying, , Pyroclastic
    Khyber, Jesters Court

***Your Vip Account Has Been Cancelled***

Power word kill like other spells based on hitdice will be broken. SpellsSymbol of death, sleep, deep slumber are pratically useless off korthos island and need to be FIXED.
    Now we have a useless level 9 spell, oh fear the great wizard that can kill 3 sickly kolbolds now on solo difficulty!

Like some of the stuff changed for the MMO environment, spells that effect a creature hitdice has to be reconfigured for the inflation to make those creature viable to real time mmo. So put a x20.

While looking at spells, check clickies that have broken spell levels thus breaking their duration. Lesser heigthen, lesser maximize, turn the page, titantic docent. 4 sec duration is silly when lag and caster time involved.

Acid rain spell needs to be lengthen
    Last edited by Jefro; 03-01-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    I love you Abbot♥

Any chance of a force spell ABOVE LEVEL FOUR??
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...

Community Member

expectedly short list. please add mass repair serious and moderate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    Any chance of a force spell ABOVE LEVEL FOUR??
    I believe there are two more force spells above level 4 that aren't in DDO.
    I believe they were minor and major force bolts.

I'm starting to spec my wizard and sorc for force (and fire).

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    True didnt think about that anyone who uses these spells specially wf and all wf parties could use other mass repair spells definitely. Im hoping that like other mass scrolls for clerics that that mass repair critical will be available to purchase to. If not even my talents with helping my wf friends will be severely limited.

I had 5 days on my subscription left, I has as I can log on again, I will have 6 months. I know this prolly doesn't matter in the grand picture, but seeing that prismatic spray has been put in, how can I not resubscribe?
    M.A.C. The only way to go!
    In honor of General Dane McArdy:
    FOR PUDDING!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by woodspider View Post
    I had 5 days on my subscription left, I has as I can log on again, I will have 6 months. I know this prolly doesn't matter in the grand picture, but seeing that prismatic spray has been put in, how can I not resubscribe?
    Don't resubmit your billing info. BAM. Not resubbed.

When you say

"Unlike most other projectile spells, the caster can arc these meteors if they have no target selected."

Do you mean you can lob them like morters? That could be kinda cool. Except for the low ceilings in most quests.

-Nemo

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Probably was forgot but will be in Module 9. Seems like a too easy addition to be skipped.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Probably was forgot but will be in Module 9. Seems like a too easy addition to be skipped.
    i wouldn't be surprised if this was an incomplete list, and the mod/serious types are hopefully in dev right now. turbine tends to release spells only after they have fully developed the spell, including mechanics and graphics.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast