Default A Solid Intimitank Build - Request & Questions

Hello all you master builders

I've been planning my next roll, which I'm wanting to be a max-intimitank build.

I've been trying to research through all of these very good build posts but can't seem to find anything that I think fits what I'm looking for, but that could just be my ignorance regarding intimitanks.

I've seen the "Utilitank" build, which looks like it could work but am not completely certain.

It seems to me that the direction of DDO is headed where Intimitanks will be playing an ever increasing important role in quests and raids alike.

I know that in Vision of Destruction, if I'm not mistaken, on normal, a minimum Intimidate of 50 is needed to keep agro. I would also hope this build could easily keep agro in a puppy run and any other raids / quests where this kind of strategy is utilized.

I am curious as to if some of the intimitank builds I've seen here are good enough for this or just simply outdated. Some questions / concerns I have are:

- What is currently the highest possible intimidate for a toon?
    - Can this be achieved using a pure class build or is multi-classing required for the best over-all result?
    - The build can be 28 or 32 point
    - I know Intimidate is a CHA-based skill, therefore is it required to max out your CHA when rolling the toon?
    - Can the build still provide higher than average DPS?
    - TWF or THF: which is better for this build?
    - Build should be based on minimal requirements of loot and tomes, at least in the beginning

I consider myself a fairly skilled player and have 4 capped toons (Pally, Barb, Sorc and Ranger) and understand their roles fully but the Intimitank role is something completely new to me.

Would love to discuss this further and perhaps come up with a possible build config relative soon. I'm sure that with all the expertise here, that won't be a problem at all

Cheers!
    Mek
    I'm Back!
    Mekkah | Meccah | Admetus | Dystain | Tymplar | Rawkstar | Meckah | Dyspair | Vendytta | Mekka
    Proud Officer / Co-Founder - Ashes of the Phoenix

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Mekkah View Post
    Hello all you master builders

I've been planning my next roll, which I'm wanting to be a max-intimitank build.

I've been trying to research through all of these very good build posts but can't seem to find anything that I think fits what I'm looking for, but that could just be my ignorance regarding intimitanks.

I've seen the "Utilitank" build, which looks like it could work but am not completely certain.

It seems to me that the direction of DDO is headed where Intimitanks will be playing an ever increasing important role in quests and raids alike.
    An Intimitank isnt required for any content. Its just a different tactic to employ. I think the tactic is solid and works great in many situations, Some people prefer other ways of doing things.

I know that in Vision of Destruction, if I'm not mistaken, on normal, a minimum Intimidate of 50 is needed to keep agro. I would also hope this build could easily keep agro in a puppy run and any other raids / quests where this kind of strategy is utilized.
    Very few can reliably keep aggro in a Puppy run on Xxyyzz. Best I can hit is about 50% Success right now.. and thats on normal. The smal dogs are very easy to intim and control though.

I am curious as to if some of the intimitank builds I've seen here are good enough for this or just simply outdated. Some questions / concerns I have are:

- What is currently the highest possible intimidate for a toon? 70+ is obtainabale, but often overkill
    - Can this be achieved using a pure class build or is multi-classing required for the best over-all result? Pure can work... Like a Pure Human Fighter with Dragonamarks could work out well.... Most intimitanks chose some sort of splash build though... Mine is currently a 10Fighter/6Paly with 12Fighter/6Paly/2Monk Plans for Mod 9.
    - The build can be 28 or 32 point 32pt definatly helps the Intimitank
    - I know Intimidate is a CHA-based skill, therefore is it required to max out your CHA when rolling the toon? Max? Not at all. Most Intimitanks arent starting with more than a 12 or 14 in CHR
    - Can the build still provide higher than average DPS? that realy depends on your view of what "Average" actually is. a S&B Intimitank will have substatially less damage output than a Dual Kopesh weiling Barbarian... Its a Trade off. Does the lower healing make up fr the lower DPS? Its up to you and the people yourun with.
    - TWF or THF: which is better for this build? I prefer S&B with TWF as backup for DPS Situations.
    - Build should be based on minimal requirements of loot and tomes, at least in the beginning

I consider myself a fairly skilled player and have 4 capped toons (Pally, Barb, Sorc and Ranger) and understand their roles fully but the Intimitank role is something completely new to me.

Would love to discuss this further and perhaps come up with a possible build config relative soon. I'm sure that with all the expertise here, that won't be a problem at all

Cheers!
    Mek
    I'll dig up my Link to my Intimitank build for ya.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...26#post1905826
    Last edited by Impaqt; 02-19-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

WikiGnome

What is currently the highest possible intimidate for a toon?
    Oh, it's pretty darn high.

A 14 fighter/2pal could reach:

+19 base
    +12 Cha
    +15 item
    +4 Moral
    +4 enhancement
    +3 SF
    +2 Bullheaded
    +6 Cha skills
    +2 luck
    +67 Intimidate

You could then add Inspire Competence, for an extra +2. I think that is it, but maybe I missed something.

But, that build would be a total gimp.
    Can this be achieved using a pure class build or is multi-classing required for the best over-all result?
    If you want the best overall tank, multiclassing is highly suggested but not necessary on a fighter. Paladins will require either a splash of rogue or fighter.
    I know Intimidate is a CHA-based skill, therefore is it required to max out your CHA when rolling the toon?
    Certainly not. It would be a big mistake to max your Cha. The trade off is certainly not worth the gain.

Target between 10-16 Cha. I prefer 10-12 for fighter builds and 12-16 for paladin builds.
    Can the build still provide higher than average DPS?
    If you go Str-based S&B, it won't. However, if you go for a fighter base you can get pretty near of a pure fighter's DPS by switching for TWF when DPS is needed.

If you go for Dex-based TWF, you'll deal better DPS than the S&B but will be lower than a TWF Str-based.
    Last edited by Borror0; 02-19-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

How about a build like:

12 Pally / 2 Fighter / 2 Rogue

That would be for LVL 16.

Question is, with 4 additional levels soon, where would it be best to put them if one went with that sort of build?

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback thus far!
    I'm Back!
    Mekkah | Meccah | Admetus | Dystain | Tymplar | Rawkstar | Meckah | Dyspair | Vendytta | Mekka

WikiGnome

Question is, with 4 additional levels soon, where would it be best to put them if one went with that sort of build?
    I'd go 15p/3f/2r for Zeal, Bulwark of Good IV and Armor Mastery I.

By the way, have you thought about monk instead of rogue? Both ways you get Evasion but with Monk you get extra feats.

I have several intimidating characters.
    My original 28-pt headstart tank (fighter12/barb4) .. +48 unbuffed -- gets every mob in the game except Hound and Sulu (hard or elite) 100% of the time

My WF Intimidator (7Ftr/7Pal/2Rog) .. +54 unbuffed .. gets the Hound about 50% of the time on normal

My Unbreakable Build (9Mnk/6Rgr/1Rog) .. +32 without an item - item slots are too tight right now to fit in an intimidate item good for the 'average' trash mob .. some of the high-end quests on elite make their checks all the time so I haven't been using her intimidate as much as I did leveling up.

My mutt build (10rgr/4Ftr/2Brb) .. +39 unbuffed (started with a 6 Cha because intimidate is secondary to DPS) and like Brizavin (Unbreakable) fails about half the time on the lvl17-18 quests..

The maximum (usable) Intimidate you can get in the game right now (as near as I can figure at least) is about a 76.. and that includes a Human Versatility IV skill boost and 5 feats on a Human Pal6/Ftr10 build..
    If you wanted a more unrealistic number, you could get into the +80's by maxing charisma, putting level-ups into charisma, etc.
    19 Ranks
    9 CHA (16 base +3tome +1 Human enh +2 Pal Enh +6 item = 28)
    2 BullHeaded
    2 Least DragonMark of Sentinel
    3 Skill Focus: Intimidate
    4 Deneith Intimidation
    3 Fighter Intimidate IV
    15 Item
    6 Shroud Item
    2 Head of Good Fortune
    = 65
    +4 Greater Heroism
    +2 Inspire Confidence
    = 71
    +5 Human Versatility IV
    = 76
    Last edited by binnsr; 02-19-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: oops - numbers dont add up
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    I'd go 15p/3f/2r for Zeal, Bulwark of Good IV and Armor Mastery I.

By the way, have you thought about monk instead of rogue? Both ways you get Evasion but with Monk you get extra feats.
    If I recall correctly, Monks get Weapon Finesse as a granted class feat at first LVL, right? Evasion from LVL 2 Monk?
    I'm Back!

If I recall correctly, Monks get Weapon Finesse as a granted class feat at first LVL, right? Evasion from LVL 2 Monk?
    Finesse is one of their class feats that they can take at lvl1, lvl2 or lvl6. It is not granted automatically.
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

WikiGnome

If I recall correctly, Monks get Weapon Finesse as a granted class feat at first LVL, right?
    Sort of. They choose one feat among:

Both at level one and level two.
    Evasion from LVL 2 Monk?
    Correct.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by binnsr View Post
    Finesse is one of their class feats that they can take at lvl1, lvl2 or lvl6. It is not granted automatically.
    Cant take it at Level 1 due to BAB restrictions.(If you start out as a Monk I should add)
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Cant take it at Level 1 due to BAB restrictions.(If you start out as a Monk I should add)
    correct
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

Default Tankin'

With the new PrE's, can you justify anything less than 18 fighter or 18 paladin?

Perhaps a 2 rogue, 18 paladin.

This gives you evasion, intimidate and good saves.
    Reisz's Warez - Armor

Default Tankin'

My current intimitank:

16 Fighter

422 HP
    57 AC
    20+ all saves
    52 Intimdate

This is all unbuffed.

He will have a huge boost when Stalwart Defender goes live.

My only sadness is no evasion.
    Reisz's Warez - Armor

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Reisz View Post
    With the new PrE's, can you justify anything less than 18 fighter or 18 paladin?
    Perfectly. Not you?

I'm guessing perhaps Human is the best race to build with given the extra feat?

Is it worth taking the feat for Skill Focus: Intimidate at LVL 1?
    I'm Back!

WikiGnome

Is it worth taking the feat for Skill Focus: Intimidate at LVL 1?
    It's not worth taking it this early, IMO.

As for the race, Human, Dwarf, WF and Halflings all have their perks. It really on what you have in mind. What level break up you are going for?

oddball build but it deff works i my WF Intimisorc plenty of dps self healing and cha is the stat your pumping anyway currently has 380 hp and a 62 intimidate ac is nonexistant but he has shield mastery and improved shield mastery and with the hound shield will have a 27 blocking dr and a 5% spell failure on self reconstructs.

Built with 4 guards currently light strike goggles corrosive salt belt corrosive salt on dt docent and ooze guard i'm working on changing to disentegrate.

Takes a beating heals himself casts does plenty of damage the only thing your lacking in is spellpen and a little spell dc.

Build split is 13 sorc 2 pal 1 ftr great saves a 118 point loh 1900 sp before glacier bracers.

My fav thing tho is i always hated when tanks fought outside my fog+firewalls or cloudkills not a problem anymore walk right over and intimidate them where u want em .

This build is not for the casual gamer very hard to level ftr must be taken first lvl to max intim he is only a 28pt build had i 4 more points he'd have a 16 str base and be able to melee decently.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Fernando has yet to even suggest a nerf of anything.
    Oh and by the way (referring to your sig), we aren't nerfing the Torc.

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    It's not worth taking it this early, IMO.

As for the race, Human, Dwarf, WF and Halflings all have their perks. It really on what you have in mind. What level break up you are going for?
    halflings get negs to intimidate not good for the ops build imo
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Fernando has yet to even suggest a nerf of anything.
    Oh and by the way (referring to your sig), we aren't nerfing the Torc.