Default Compendium: Character Page Template

Hey guys!

I just got done writing a template for character pages. The template (and directions on how to use the template) can be found at: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Template:Character

I built this template based on http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Wobertu this character page. Thanks Jefro for giving me a few ideas for this template. Enjoy!
    Rule number one, never follow Wobert. Rule number two, never listen to Wobert.

updated with minor changes.

WikiGnome

My template >> your template.

Mine will only work when they'll add parsers, though.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    My template >> your template.

Mine will only work when they'll add parsers, though.
    I like mine better. But I had the if statements in there on my version, but the DDO wiki lacked parsers so I took them out. I still have the code for all the spells IF they add the parsers. until then, it's fine the way it is.

what is the purpose of the template? i do not see how the character is built up and that is a very big disadvantage
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    what is the purpose of the template? i do not see how the character is built up and that is a very big disadvantage
    With my template, you will be able to post your characters on the DDO compendium so other can see what you've done with your build to make them work with the latest mods.

Quote Originally Posted by eyepuppy View Post
    With my template, you will be able to post your characters on the DDO compendium so other can see what you've done with your build to make them work with the latest mods.
    i agree thats good for items, feats and enhancements but level and stat distribution is pretty much fixed. however, i feel that it doesnt really show others how the stats are distributed, when to get which feat etc. so to me, its more of a bragging rights than sharing
    If you want to know why...

While you guys are tweaking your templates, could one of you please fix the spelling for this link?

Template:Build repsentation

Thanks

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    While you guys are tweaking your templates, could one of you please fix the spelling for this link?

Template:Build repsentation
    Oh, I made a typo when I created the build. I then moved the thread, but I left a redirect where the typo was.

In other words, both these links work:

BUT, the template is at Template:Build_presentation.

Don't worry.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by eyepuppy View Post
    I like mine better. But I had the if statements in there on my version, but the DDO wiki lacked parsers so I took them out. I still have the code for all the spells IF they add the parsers. until then, it's fine the way it is.
    The DDO Compendium lacked parsers, I would do such blatant errors on a wiki myself.

I like my version better, for the following reason:
    • It's much more aesthetic.
    • It doesn't use as many categories as you do.
    • It's a build presentation, not a character template.
    • It offers room to discuss the character better.

Trust me, you don't want a character section on a wiki. It will be a mess!

I know this from experience. The DDO wiki has a character section, and I regret it. It was implemented long ago and it's just an annoyance. Most players have trouble using it, no matter how simple you make it. The wiki interface isn't built for this. A better way to do it would be a template, on a separate, with options and blanks. All one would have to do is fill in the blanks.

It would have several advantages over a wiki:
    • Only the creator of the character and the moderators could edit an entry.
    • More user-friendly character creation interface.
    • Less 'scary' to use. You only have to fill in a blank and change data in fields. (Trust me, for non-coders it does a difference.)
    • It wouldn't mess with the wiki.
    • Moderators that care about their website.

Honestly, attempting to accomplish that on a wiki is a lot of trouble and is not worth it.

I have witnessed it.

Borror0, I fail to see how you think your template is better. Not saying everything I do is better, but both of our templates are fairly the same, only mine has a walkthrough on HOW to use templates for people who don't know what to do. It's easy for players to jsut enter some stats and click create rather than trying to research how to use a template, and then mess around with actually coding the template beyond that. I know you used if statements in your template, but I told you I didn't because the DDO compendium lacked the ability to use conditions.

With my build template, you can post how you built your toon, what you like to do with your build. You can be as detailed as you want. I also auto categorize your build into your server, guild, all character. This is something your template does not do. It's just something to do when you have a few extra minutes so you can post you build for others to view.

I like viewing other people's builds. I know others do as well. The DDO compendium is only going to be as good as the people who contribute. I like the idea of a DDO wiki. I know you work on the enterwiki version, but I like the DDO compendium better. Sorry man. I like your wiki, I just prefer to use DDO's own wiki. It just makes things easier. As for the parsers, that's not really a big deal. Just program around it.