Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Sorcerer Capstone Preview: Power Surge

Wizards may be the masters of metamagic, but the blood of Sorcerers runs filled with power. While the Elemental Savant lines aren't in Module 9, we decided to make the first Sorcerer capstone one that would be appealing to those damage-oriented characters.

Sorcerer Power Surge
    Prereqs: Sorcerer Level 20
    Benefit: All of your damage dealing spells deal 10% more damage, have their critical chance increased by 3%, and their critical multipliers increased by an additional 0.25.

Obviously, this stacks with all other similar effects, whether they be Potency, Arcane Lore, or the various damage enhancing enhancement lines.

As with the other capstones, subject to change before it goes live.

Edit: EYE KEN SPEL.
    Last edited by Eladrin; 02-06-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Can only quote Neo for this:

"Whoa"

Current max is what? 18% crit and 2.75x... so now sorcs can be 21%/3x on crits? Plus the 10% beforehand... and across the board (including disintegrate's untyped).
    People will need to update their bio's with new maximum damage amounts.
    Hopefully damage actually means something to Mod 9 mobs.... not like the ice giants and ice dragons of Mod 8 with d5000 hit dice.
    Last edited by Gratch; 02-06-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Beyond Neo thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

What about any changes being made to make damage worthwhile for sorcs to specialize in at end game?

If we have more 1,000,000 HP monsters at lvl 20... you realize this capstone won't be worth the paper it's printed upon... if it were printed upon paper.

Awesome, I like it, gonna be very nice on my two sorc's. Thanks for the preview.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbryan2 View Post
    What about any changes being made to make damage worthwhile for sorcs to specialize in at end game?

If we have more 1,000,000 HP monsters at lvl 20... you realize this capstone won't be worth the paper it's printed upon... if it were printed upon paper.
    We're experimenting with different ways to make damage worthwhile again for both mundane classes and spellcasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    We're experimenting with different ways to make damage worthwhile again for both mundane classes and spellcasters.
    That's good to know. Then I guess we'll see the utility of this capstone when we see what you've cooked up for level 20 quests.

My caster is happy, though he'd like +2 Cha.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

With Every capstone I see... I get more and more disappointed with the Rogue one...

Please oh please change that one to something worthwhile

Heddar Dwarf Fighter L 17, Celidaer Elf Wizard L 17, Merinid Drow Bard L 16,
    Talimore Human Ranger L 5, Kuven Human Cleric L 3, Kopesh Warforged Barbarian L 4

Community Member

Benefit: All of your damage dealing spells deal 10% more damage, have their critical chance increased by 3%, and their critical multipliers increased by an additional 0.25.
    I guess it's good that it's not a clone of the wizard one. Leaving wizards with a higher DC makes them better at non-DPS spells like Fear and Finger.

(I wonder what the numbers are like for how much damage DBF gains from save DC)

Here's a funny suggestion: Instead of boosted spell crits, each time the sorc makes a spell crit, his body glows and his next spell is an auto-crit.

Better than any preview news to some of us... (not that we don't love the previews too). Thanks for both.

Ed: BTW, did the recent offsite server power issues (transformer explosion) have anything to do with this week's preview selection of POWER SURGE? Or was it the dice again?
    Last edited by Gratch; 02-06-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Here's a funny suggestion: Instead of boosted spell crits, each time the sorc makes a spell crit, his body glows and his next spell is an auto-crit.
    Been playing some TF2 lately?
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

The best part of this capstone:
    Quote Originally Posted by Willphase
    (Guild): [Guild] Haeson: garth doesn't like being called mundane by eladrin
    Recently completed a very slow Completionist adventure, playing each class until I was bored. My son (Henry) randomly picked the next class from the ones I hadn't done yet.

Community Member

Mod5 started to paint you into a corner, but there are ways out... good luck, you'll need it.

PS. I really wonder if the original design of The Shroud had expected casters to DPS Arraetrikos...? I guess not.

Community Member

Sorcerer Power Surge
    Shouldn't he also get +8 strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Mod5 started to paint you into a corner, but there are ways out... good luck, you'll need it.

PS. I really wonder if the original design of The Shroud had expected casters to DPS Arraetrikos...? I guess not.
    Well, if nothing else... Lvl 20 sorcs will be even better at killing the Abbot, Reaver, DQ, and Velah...

Yeah...

Excellent.

Good luck.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Glad to know you're aware of the truth that is "Con damage > DPS" for endgame content.
    Person Æ, Sarlona

cool. nice to see another preview!

i don't have a sorc but i think i'll continue leveling my 5 wizard up nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    Glad to know you're aware of the truth that is "Con damage > DPS" for endgame content.
    And Mundane Damage > > > > > > > Spell casting damage.

The insane increase in Melee DPS and subsequent rise in HP made casting damage worthless for Sorcs...

And unmeta-magiced spell-casting??? That's beyond hilarious. No amount of spell-like abilities will help if they can't be meta-ed.

It's definately not an easy situation they've gotten themselves into.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    My caster is happy, though he'd like +2 Cha.
    ...if you want DCs - go Wizard!

Wizard = DCs
    Sorc = DPS!

Garth (who rather resents being called a 'Mundane' by Eladrin)

Garth 20/ftr (Kensei) Haeson 20/clr Cairis 12/ftr 6/rgr 2/rog Xortan 20/wiz
    Tinosa 20/brd Garthbot 20/fvs Gaarth 18/ftr 1/rgr 1/rog (Stal Def)
    Tibetan 20/mnk Automatic DDO raid timers Haezon 20/sor (Conj)

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast