Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bobbryan2 View Post
    Go run TS, or Coal chamber, or Chains in the desert and then tell me that it'll be easy to find the shrine.

This is a good change.. but please don't stop there. We need altitude on the maps. 2d maps of 3d areas is beyond useless. And.. can we PLEASE get maps of caves inside instances...

Restless Isles is TERRIBLE!
    Just two words:

The Pit

Quote Originally Posted by bobbryan2 View Post
    Wait a minute..

Are you saying that whenever a partymember finds a shrine or chest, it updates EVERYBODY'S map?

If it just updates the map of the person who found it... how exactly does that help the lost person find it easier?

Yeah, I'd also like an answer to this one ....
    Officer of ARCHANGELS - Thelanis

Strummie . Gruffie . Jinksy . Perversion . Sluffie . Indulgent . Adjuration . Wary . Disparage . Subdue . Affinity . Bestial . Contrivance . Indria . Thermo . Outlandish

Default Resize

Please allow us the ability to resize the map. The enlarged size in many cases is still too small. Make it so we can enlarge it like other windows where we can drag the corner up to the full size of the screen and don't forget zoom (+/-).
    Ska 14Bard/4Ftr/2Rog --Abscessed 20CLR --Skja 18Bard/2Rog--Mariachi 19 Bard -Quill 16 Rng-Zomatis 16Wiz/1Rog --Avinash 14Pal/2Rog
    Legends of Twilight Server Khyber

A step in the right direction. Nice.
    Snowleopard, Locomotiv Breath, Aqualung, Thickas a Brick, WitchsPromis, Part of the Machine, Coseyed Mary
    No whining, unless you're serving really good cheese. Otherwise, put a cork in it.

Awesome! This was something I really struggled with when I started playing the game. I remember how "going back to the shrine, guys" was potentially a death sentence if I managed to get myself lost. Great addition.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

The chest and shrine mapnotes will only appear when *you* find them.

There are a couple other map improvements that you'll be hearing about soon.

Something many of you have brought up, multi level maps, and indoor/outdoor maps are not in the works at this time. There are some technical issues we need to work out (we do know it would be great to have!).

This is a very nice addition, and one that was, as these things go, easy to add.

However, let me add my voice to the chorus about caves within larger instances, and vertical maps. For me the map is worse than useless in many places - Caverns of Korromar, the Pit, Coalescence Chamber, etc etc.

If you undertake a larger revamp of maps - add layers (floors, if you will) for vertical maps that you can tab through.. or even controls so you can rotate the map in three dimensions.. and add a button for caves etc you can click on to spawn a map of that space.

EDIT: dev ninja! Thanks, Phax - I figure those involve a lot more work, but so long as you have thought about them that's good.
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phax View Post
    The chest and shrine mapnotes will only appear when *you* find them.

Oh....

Well, in the spirit of 'discussion', why? ? ?

Once *we* find it, we're already there. That isn't really helpful info. (Can already kinda see where shrines are at once we've map-cleared them). The real advantage to [how I thought it would work] would be once a party member finds them, they would tell us where it's at.

Is it a matter of workablility of the mapping code, or something else?

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Great news thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Oh....

Once *we* find it, we're already there. That isn't really helpful info. (Can already kinda see where shrines are at once we've map-cleared them). The real advantage to [how I thought it would work] would be once a party member finds them, they would tell us where it's at.
    It is still very useful, since as is, since you can't make map notes, you just have to remember where you saw the shrine. Depending on the map that can be very, very difficult.

Also, the parts of the map you haven't been to yet are dark - and think of this in PnP terms - why would you know where a refuge was coming up when you explored the unknown?
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

Very nice thanks!

Oh....

You need to explore the area, just like how all our other mapnotes work. And, like moorewr has stated, this will still be very helpful for people who need to find their way back to a shrine or chest.

Ok this is nice especially for those of us who are directionally challenged, but...

this should be completed AFTER we have druids, half-orcs, half-elves and MUCH MORE CONTENT!!!!

Aylianna - 7TR Cleric 25* Sellia - TR Ranger 20 * Yelenna 2TR Cleric Level 22 * Callwynn - 3TR Rogue 25 * Primabotta 4TR 12 Fighter/6 Ranger/2 Rogue * Aylamaran 12TR 17 Barbarian/2 Rogue

Oh....

Added advantage to being a Rogue, perhaps? "Yah, I could tell you where I found the shrine... Just sneak past all the (your most hated mob here) and there you are!

Seriously, psionics are not a part of the game yet, at least not for PCs, so how would you know that a shrine was found by a party member? (Let's be nice and not bring up that voice chat works over distances that would alert every mob in the place to the party presence if it were actual character speech...)
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Quote Originally Posted by WestiesMA View Post
    Ok this is nice especially for those of us who are directionally challenged, but...

this should be completed AFTER we have druids, half-orcs, half-elves and MUCH MORE CONTENT!!!!
    I would guess that the UI team (person?) is separate from the content team, so UI work does not really interfere with content development.

Vordax

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

You need to explore the area, just like how all our other mapnotes work. And, like moorewr has stated, this will still be very helpful for people who need to find their way back to a shrine or chest.
    Any thought about persistent map notes? even better would be where your could import/export the notes. It would be easy to do with XML.
    For the latest DDO info how, where, and when you want it...
    DDO Reports: DDO. News. Now.
    For instant updates (even on your mobile device), follow DDO Reports on Twitter.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Ustice View Post
    Any thought about persistent map notes?
    Why should there be persistent map notes?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Ah, okay. Gotcha. So the zergers know where to come "back" to for stuff they ran past, as opposed to the turtles being able to find stuff up ahead where the zergers are...

/Hides from 5 servers full of raged barbs come looking for the rogue that poked fun at them....

Yeah, I know it would be a big step outside of realism. (I actually think it really would be hilarious if mobs could 'hear' us when we talk too loud on voice chat...) I'm just saying that party members finding chests/shrines (usually) will let the rest of the party know they're at a chest/shrine. We still look at the map to see where their dot is at (another case of unreality, btw ) to have an idea of where they're talking about. Adding the icon to the map when they find the chest/shrine is just a workaround to not having an interactive map. (yet?)

See?

DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Why should there be persistent map notes?
    To more accurately represent our characters actually drawing a map as we explore an area.

I think text notes would be too cumbersome for our current map system, but just a few icons to interactively plonk onto the map where we click it would be a boon. (suggestions: tiny flags {several of diff colors}, tiny skull, tiny exclamation mark, etc.)

Not to mention this would also meet the functionality I was hoping the map icons as presented above would do.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 02-07-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    DDO Freebies

Default Vertical maps

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but showing vertical position would not necessarily require additional map layers/tabs or separate cross-sectional maps. All you would have to do is color code each player's dot on the map according to their current elevation (or if you prefer, the size of their dot could represent elevation).

It wouldn't be as good as a true vertical map or cross sectional map, but it would still be very helpful in vertical dungeons and would probably be easier to implement.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Oh....

It's about going back to them later. I can't tell you how many times as a new player I tried to save a shrine and then couldnt find it....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast