Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    In other news, for some reason this thread is not sizing to my window properly, and i've got to scroll over half the screen to center everything. Figuring it was an error with the page loading on my end, so I copied the link and opened a new tab, but the problem persists....

Anyone else having this issue?
    I run a at 1920 x 1200 which is huge and posted a SS. I took it down to help you out, sorry bout that, but it's fixed now.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Hmm....wonder what happens when you tumble or cleave

The camera view is from your characters eyes (or close enough). Everything looks mighty tall as a halfling!

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Phax View Post
    The camera view is from your characters eyes (or close enough). Everything looks mighty tall as a halfling!
    Would it be possible to get screenshots? Talking about it is nice, but seeing would be better.

However, that might be something you are saving for advertising?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    Hmm....wonder what happens when you tumble or cleave
    And an unarmed monk does a standing backflip every 5 hits.

Quote Originally Posted by moorewr View Post
    Are we really going to have this silly discussion again? Should the programmers just go hang out at the water-cooler while waiting for the animators to turn in their work instead of fixing simple things like this?
    Oh, there are PLENTY of other bugs the programmers could fix that IMHO are WAY more important than this. Like held, fascinated, hypnoed and/ or stoned monsters moving around and/or casting spells, the repeater bug, enemy casters having unlimited mana, etc etc etc, If ALL BUGS are going to be fixed in MOD 9 then great!

Aylianna - 7TR Cleric 25* Sellia - TR Ranger 20 * Yelenna 2TR Cleric Level 22 * Callwynn - 3TR Rogue 25 * Primabotta 4TR 12 Fighter/6 Ranger/2 Rogue * Aylamaran 12TR 17 Barbarian/2 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    This is more important than any of that
    I really hope you are joking.

Aylianna - 7TR Cleric 25* Sellia - TR Ranger 20 * Yelenna 2TR Cleric Level 22 * Callwynn - 3TR Rogue 25 * Primabotta 4TR 12 Fighter/6 Ranger/2 Rogue * Aylamaran 12TR 17 Barbarian/2 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by WestiesMA View Post
    If ALL BUGS are going to be fixed in MOD 9 then great!
    All bugs? A) ask any programmer if they can promise that for any project over 500 lines of code B) again, many or most of the known issues have far more dependencies and linkage than this, C) ..and fixing them does not create a new feature. This might get us new players. You don't think much of it, that's clear, and that's fine by me. Just remember you are creating false equivalences when you assume that those bugs were not addressed because this was.
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

You have no idea how happy this makes me or how excited I am for Mod 9. This alone is one of the greatest things I've heard of it so far, for me.

I'm even tempted to roll a Halfling as well, to see things from a different view. . .

. . .

Wait, no, nevermind. That temptation passed. Phew. Was worried there, for a second.

I can't wait to see this. A huge thank you from me for how awesome this sounds.

-D
    Thelanis - Warforged Shield of the <Fellowship of the Golden Night>

Community Member UnderwearModel's Avatar

Default Not on my list of top 100 wants

But I suppose it is in the second 100 wants of the game. I will guess around 197 on my want list.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Monster AI tends to be a limitation of the engine - smart AIs cause more server lag. Boy am I going to get quoted on that or what.
    I survived the scary events in 2009, 2010, and 2011. 2011 did not reward those that played by the rules.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Ok why are they working on this and not druids, half-orcs, half-elves and MORE CONTENT?
    I really hope you are joking.
    Nope. First person is something I have wished was in this game since I started playing it, and there has been more than one petition for it over the past few years.

Half-elves are almost completley pointless in this game. Druids are only interesting if they get shapeshifting in which would be a huge undertaking, I'll bet we never see it. Half orcs, I wouldn't mind playing one but honestly its no big deal. More content, well of course that's always nice, but we already know from past dev comments that the dungeon designers are not the same guys as the people who would do this type of char based animation so those two don't compete.
    Last edited by Lorien the First One; 02-08-2009 at 12:16 PM.

The title (of this thread) alone gets two snaps up.

The concept isn't that bad of an idea...I think though most people who prefer FP view would not be attune to having a full set of toolbars jamming up their screen-when you put it in perspective, most every game that incorporates FP tries to reduce as much clutter as possible to make the view less interfering with what actually is going on around them. So I would imagine if you aren't setup to constantly use hotkeys for over 50 percent of your actions, this would be more of a hinderance than anything.

The AI of certain mobs will also make this view problematic for some on their specific classes-I would expect an increase of swings and misses and messages saying you must face a specific enemy if you're casting spells on them. I know imho, I would not be to privy to use the view except to mess around taking screenshots and having some fun playing around with it, it just wouldn't sit right with some of the methods I use and have trained myself to use since day one...

Should be interesting, but not to belittle your efforts, I think most who play would probably stick with what they know and probably have issues with trying the first person view...especially if you aren't geared up with a console controller-which makes the whole process that much easier for a FP type of game.

Community Member

Oh, there are PLENTY of other bugs the programmers could fix that IMHO are WAY more important than this. Like enemy casters having unlimited mana
    Are you sure that's a bug? Given the tremendous advantage human-controlled characters have over computer-controlled monsters, I would have thought this was a way to even the playing field (at least a little tiny bit).

Thumbs up

This is gr8 news ! Really!! Im rapt Thank you Turbine *kisses*

It may be a minor consideration to most players, however to me who likes to take screenshots and make vids it will make a big difference to the end product.

cheers
    Follow me on TWITTER - IF YOU DARE

LOL! Haflings And Dwarfs, Vorpals Must Sever the Body at the Waist
    The Vue!

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Should be a pretty cool addition. I'm certainly looking forward to it, at least for screenshot purposes.

It actually might be interesting to start up groups and have everyone use first person view. Just to see if the game plays any harder that way.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Default Appendages would have been cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    and you don't have weapons showing in view (but you still have your mouse cross hair and normal elements otherwise).
    awww. i was thinking that would be the really cool thing about the view. Being able to see the casters hands as they cast or the Great Axe swing in front of you.

i just got done playing mirror's edge which keeps the appendages in the first person view when applicable and i thought it added a lot to the game. It really made you feel immersed in the game.

I still think it is awesome idea wither way, but thought it would be cool with all that stuff in there.
    ATARI SUCKS!!!!

Oh, there are PLENTY of other bugs the programmers could fix that IMHO are WAY more important than this. Like held, fascinated, hypnoed and/ or stoned monsters moving around and/or casting spells, the repeater bug, enemy casters having unlimited mana, etc etc etc, If ALL BUGS are going to be fixed in MOD 9 then great!
    And maybe you fail to realize that maybe those people doing the AI for the monsters are not the same developers doing this work?

Just like I don't want the cable guy to open up a TV and attempt to repair it, I don't expect the same developer who is doing POV to actually do AI work.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

I have been looking forward to first person for a while and I am eager to try this out. I assume that it will work as if you just "clicked forward" a bit more when zooming the camera. In other words, the camera won't spin when your attack animation results in a spinning motion nor will it flip head over heels when tumbling.

However, I am most looking forward to using FP on my rogue (I am a Thief fan) and that results in a small problem. Currently the terrain based "visibility" (1-4 eyes) and the "making noise" (red flashes) feed back mechanisms are both shown at the feet of the character. These would be impossible to see in First Person. As it is now they are hard to see when zoomed in too far and the eyes feedback also suffers from being embedded in the terrain when it is not level.

Is there any plan to change these feedback mechanisms so they will work with first person camera view?

I wouldn't mind icons in the top right corner where things like encumberance or negative levels show up. They should appear whenever you are in sneak mode.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast