Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Let's have a little... what's the word I'm looking for here... pep talk?

We know you love the game, you love to work on characters, you love to get pumped up and excited about new and upcoming stuff! Well we do too! The timing is awkward with these recent issues, but that doesn't change the fact that things are going to start feeling much different around here, and I'm not talking about later. I know it's been hard with this whole "mysteriously secret thing of secretness" (button...so...shiney...must...not...press *zap*), but the gears are starting to turn now, and the pieces are moving, and you're going to experience some... well I guess the words I'm looking for here are:

We love our game. We love our players. We love our work. So we're ALL - you, me, Tarrant, Patience, the Devs, Glin, Kate, the Community, EVERYONE - going to be really kicking up the DDO Pride around here. It's our 3 year anniversary, and that's something to get excited about!

Thanks to you as well Tolero....

I hope you guys realize that you have put this "Super Secret" up on pretty tall pedestal. Its got to be good....
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Phax View Post
    The community has been anxiously waiting for more info. I can totally understand where you are coming from (we’re been anxious to tell you too). Shortly things are going to start ramping up around here. I think there is a perception out there that the community boards will no longer be the place to come to talk about development, and that’s not true. Even though it’s been a little hush hush lately, that’s going to change. You’re going to start hearing about a lot of things – some are small, and some are big – and learn about all the stuff we’ve been working on for the past several months. So while we know it’s been a long time for “super secret”, more information is coming, and there will be a lot of it.
    Please tell me that super secret does not mean adding a console (ie XBOX 360) as that would do nothing for the current playerbase.

We know you love the game, you love to work on characters, you love to get pumped up and excited about new and upcoming stuff! Well we do too! The timing is awkward with these recent issues, but that doesn't change the fact that things are going to start feeling much different around here, and I'm not talking about later. I know it's been hard with this whole "mysteriously secret thing of secretness" (button...so...shiney...must...not...press *zap*), but the gears are starting to turn now, and the pieces are moving, and you're going to experience some... well I guess the words I'm looking for here are:

We love our game. We love our players. We love our work. So we're ALL - you, me, Tarrant, Patience, the Devs, Glin, Kate, the Community, EVERYONE - going to be really kicking up the DDO Pride around here. It's our 3 year anniversary, and that's something to get excited about!
    Thank you for confirming that the 3rd anniversary will be celebrated, its been along time since I can remember a dev or moderator mentioning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milamber69 View Post
    Please forgive my personal attack, I was high on Platypus Venom at the time.

Community Member

That's great, Tolero, really.

I hope you follow through, and more importantly, I hope there are some MAJOR changes at Turbine so that this kind of **** doesn't happen again.

A warning: be prepared for a very (VERY!) vocal backlash if whatever you reveal doesn't live up to 8+ months of silence... and I gotta say, I doubt there is much of anything you can provide that lives up to that kind of suspense. I half expect the player exodus to increase when people realize they've been in the dark for 8+ months for something that had no reason to be secret.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Community Member

Right off the bat - the "rate the capstones from best to worst" has to be the best type of information any development team could hope for. Actual feedback from the actual players who understand the actual impact to how the game is actually played, actually.

Now the big question is do we have enough of them with enough information early enough for that feedback to be useful in any way. Three weeks to aniversary and unfortunately its an announcement not a discussion as the time to make changes is certainly far past.

Expecting the testers to provide the necessary feedback, particularly concerning game mechanics, has been clearly demonstrated to be unfulfilled wishful thinking far more than any reality.

Please provide your best resource, the community, the tools we need (information), early enough that your best feedback is also valuable feedback. The plan to provide this type of information through third party sites is flawed in both timing and even interest by those sites in this type of detail.
    Last edited by stockwizard5; 02-06-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Characters: Maels
    Guild: Maelstrom
    Server: Thelanis
    http://maelstrom-ddo.guildportal.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselKing View Post
    Please tell me that super secret does not mean adding a console (ie XBOX 360) as that would do nothing for the current playerbase..
    Here's a good example, Tolero... if you come back next week and say "super secret == XBOX 360", plan on your subscription numbers dropping in half.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    Here's a good example, Tolero... if you come back next week and say "super secret == XBOX 360", plan on your subscription numbers dropping in half.
    You have 25,000 Subscription to the game?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    You have 25,000 Subscription to the game?
    It would be:

1) A tremendous waste of development resources. DDO is a wholly different beast of a game than most RPGs or even MMOs. You and I both know this.
    2) A huge build up for a very underwhelming announcement.

I don't think half of the playerbase would leave, but most of us would be rather upset at the announcement.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Oh and by the way.

Don't ignore the feedback that says the communication strategy for the last 12 months has FAILED.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Phax View Post
    The community has been anxiously waiting for more info.
    I am only speaking for myself here, but I am sure I am not the only one sharing this opinion.

But first, let me thank you for chiming in. Whether you guys are aware of it or not, each posts matter a lot to us.

More than teases, any interaction with the Turbine staff is great. What I mean by 'interaction' is pretty vast. Of course, we would love more preview, but that's not all. Beyond that, any interact between Turbine staff and the community is a good thing. About anyone that read the forums around M4 knows that.

In other words, game developer giving their opinion on players' concern would be nice. Players would love some words on issues such the Armor Class imbalances, the supremacy of rangers, the abysmal performances of ranged combat, the prevalence of stat-damage at end game, end game becoming becoming more and more gear-dependent, overuse of immunities on mobs, importance respec mechanism and the DDO Compendium being nearly. It doesn't need to be official words, but simply your opinion, or just the status of a fix like "We are aware of that and know it is an issue. We are still discussing the plausible solutions we could take to address this problem." Adding what the most likely fix are would also be very nice, but is not necessary.

Giving feedback on suggestions, also, would be a great idea.

Really, don't underestimate the value of feeling listened.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Give us something small Tolero... Can we expect the gears to get into gear for the Feb 28 anniversary date? If not, when? Set some expectations

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    I am only speaking for myself here, but I am sure I am not the only one sharing this opinion.

But first, let me thank you for chiming in. Whether you guys are aware of it or not, each posts matter a lot to us.

More than teases, any interaction with the Turbine staff is great. What I mean by 'interaction' is pretty vast. Of course, we would love more preview, but that's not all. Beyond that, any interact between Turbine staff and the community is a good thing. About anyone that read the forums around M4 knows that.

In other words, game developer giving their opinion on players' concern would be nice. Players would love some words on issues such the Armor Class imbalances, the supremacy of rangers, the abysmal performances of ranged combat, the prevalence of stat-damage at end game, end game becoming becoming more and more gear-dependent, overuse of immunities on mobs, importance respec mechanism and the DDO Compendium being nearly. It doesn't need to be official words, but simply your opinion, or just the status of a fix like "We are aware of that and know it is an issue. We are still discussing the plausible solutions we could take to address this problem." Adding what the most likely fix are would also be very nice, but is not necessary.

Giving feedback on suggestions, also, would be a great idea.

Really, don't underestimate the value of feeling listened.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    It would be:

1) A tremendous waste of development resources. DDO is a wholly different beast of a game than most RPGs or even MMOs. You and I both know this. No doubt the Console Team would be a whole new group of Developers

I don't think half of the playerbase would leave, but most of us would be rather upset at the announcement.
    I cant imagine an announcement about a console version of DDO would be the SUper Secret since it really has no direct impact on this game at all. ANd while, I agree, it would be an incredible dissapointment, I cant see a lot of pople cancelling because of that.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    It would be:

1) A tremendous waste of development resources. DDO is a wholly different beast of a game than most RPGs or even MMOs. You and I both know this.

A console port could also herald a larger dev team, which woudl mean more content, and content more often. Also new players buying a boxed copy will inject DDO with cash, which means possibly more staff, and thus more content. It is hard to say what effect a console version would have on the overall game, good or bad.
    Fallen former minion of the Gelatinous Cube
    Proud Member of Ascent
    Arko Highstar
    Arckos Highstar

I cant imagine an announcement about a console version of DDO would be the SUper Secret since it really has no direct impact on this game at all. ANd while, I agree, it would be an incredible dissapointment, I cant see a lot of pople cancelling because of that.
    Again, I don't see cancellations in the order of magnitude Strake claims, but it won't be pretty.

I'm certain a console version wouldn't be Super Secret (*shudder*), because it'd be silly to hold that in secret when they could instead be advertising that in every gaming mag that's out there.

What it is, we won't know for who knows how much longer. What we're saying is, it had better be some of the best news for the game to have been teasing us with it for so long.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Community Member

It's our 3 year anniversary, and that's something to get excited about!
    Yes, it is something to be excited about - but with less than a month to go before the event this is the FIRST reference to the anniversary I have see. This time last year we had dates and times for the events and knew that the Devils were coming. This year? ... well good to see at least someone has not forgotten I suppose

Really, will it be another loot/XP weekend? Maybe another live event? Merely over a wknd (which one?!?!?) or the entire week? We have no idea, and trying to plan for it is becoming increasingly frustrating and irrelevant. Not planning is planning to fail, and I am simply not getting a warm fuzzy with the constant downtime and gag order.

For example, ignoring that my server has currently spent more time down than up, I cannot even bring myself to roll a new character on a function server since there is so much still up in the air... WoP nerf? Stat damage nerf? Unknown Capstones & PrEs... Why would I roll a character when I do not even know what options are available, not to mention that it could possibily be nerfed before I even reach cap At least with the Evasion nerf you gave us plenty of warning - I just am simply not going through that again...

Nice post, Impact. I can tell you that as I'm working on my show notes for ep 104 of DDOcast, it's occured to me that this week in particular has the least amount of news in two years!

I have almost - nothing - to mention on this week's show, except for the handwraps thing (cool!) and downtime talk. Well, plus the regular player-and-team-created content. Still, ep 104 will basically mark two years of shows (52 weeks a year, although yeah - I've already had my two year anniversary cuz I skipped a week or two). There's so little to talk about. And with just three weeks to the anniversary, I would have expected more.

Still, glad to hear that things are moving. Let's get this announcement and promotion stuff rolling before it's too late!
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Thanks to you as well Tolero....

I hope you guys realize that you have put this "Super Secret" up on pretty tall pedestal. Its got to be good....
    Amen. Discounting the console talk (since they have said DDO is not a target for console conversion).. nothing that has been discussed has been enough to be the Super Secret. The new rendering engine, if it is coming in, will be really cool, but it will be a subtle thing - look! distant artifacts in the scenery are beautifully rendered!

I'd like to hope they've been storing up a huge content release, some unexpected additions like classes or races, a new box on store shelves with a new advertising angle and a new billing structure. We'll see.

Tolero - thank you, but it's not a pep talk we need - we have plenty of revolutionary fervor but men can not live for long on fervor alone.
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

Well, first...even if they told the community exactly what the issue was and why the servers went down, most people in the community wouldn't understand what they were saying and would still complain to the effect that it is unreasonable that the servers are down. Another portion of the community might partially understand what they were saying but still be completely unreasonable about it. And a very minor portion of the community would be understanding, regardless of whether they understood what was said or not.

Second, the devs can attempt to listen to the community all they want but there are two factors that have to be kept in mind: 1.) No matter what the devs do, they will never ever ever ever be able to please everyone. That's just the nature of the beast. They could ship the game out in 24k gold CD cases and someone would complain that the price of gold wasn't very high at the time. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. 2.) Some of the ideas are very good and I'm sure the devs try to implement them to the best of their ability and to make sure that they are balanced. Other ideas are utter garbage and just completely ignored due to their complete stupidity.

If the devs spent all their time responding to the ideas they saw in the community, they'd have no time left to actually work on coming out with new modules, keeping the servers up, or maintaining the game in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilliak View Post
    Well, first...even if they told the community exactly what the issue was and why the servers went down, most people in the community wouldn't understand what they were saying and would still complain to the effect that it is unreasonable that the servers are down. Another portion of the community might partially understand what they were saying but still be completely unreasonable about it. And a very minor portion of the community would be understanding, regardless of whether they understood what was said or not.

Second, the devs can attempt to listen to the community all they want but there are two factors that have to be kept in mind: 1.) No matter what the devs do, they will never ever ever ever be able to please everyone. That's just the nature of the beast. They could ship the game out in 24k gold CD cases and someone would complain that the price of gold wasn't very high at the time. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. 2.) Some of the ideas are very good and I'm sure the devs try to implement them to the best of their ability and to make sure that they are balanced. Other ideas are utter garbage and just completely ignored due to their complete stupidity.

If the devs spent all their time responding to the ideas they saw in the community, they'd have no time left to actually work on coming out with new modules, keeping the servers up, or maintaining the game in any way.
    FIrst, I think you Vastly underestimate the average DDO Player who frequents the Forums. But thats moot, as Sig already Posted a rundown of what happened for us.

second, no one has ever said they expect a dev response on every idea ever posted in the forums... Doesnt matter if its some hair brained no thought suggestion, or an incredibly simple solution to a problem that has plagued the game from Alpha.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Well here let's get the ball rolling a little bit and talk about one thing you'll notice right off the bat - forum changes. Next week you're going to see some moving and shuffling on the forum structure. Part of that structure is going to be a new forum called "Official DDO Discussions". This is basically a place where similar to how we've been making individual threads for the capstones/prestige enhancements, we'll have individual threads to talk about various things we're working on. We've found that we really like the format of the individual threads - that way everyone's not fighting to play king-of-the-hill inside the thread "But I wanna talk about X when everyone else is talking about Y so I feel drowned out". Discussions are much more focused and well...it's just been much better all around. The Official Discussion board will allow you to see everything we're talking about in one place. The dev tracker is great and all for individual posts...but at a glance, the way it is set up at the moment, you have to HOPE that the dev comment is along the topic line of the thread subject. When you click on "Turbine....Community....Please" you have no idea what the conversation is, all you see is what Dev/staff member commented. With the Official Discussion board, it will have a similar feel to the dev tracker, but you'll be able to tell off the bat what the discussion is about

So until we finish with the forum work, we'll start with a few threads that you'll see called "Official Discussion: [topic]" until I get a chance to move the threads into their new home next week.

Post Script: On an unrelated note, your parser tags are in the next Compendium update, just got a confirmation on it yesterday

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast