Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    558

    Default The shield's triumphant return to DDO

    How about making it viable to use a shield again?

    What about a fighter enhancement line that provides static stacking DR via a shield.

    There are 70 ac TWF monk builds tumbling all over insulting people with tower shields.

    How about a shield AC enhancement line?

    How about about we make some better shields for the loot tables?

    How about we do anything to give a reason for people to not make yet another TWF build.
    - Raja Stormcrow -
    http://thesublimeguild.com
    Thelanis Permadeath
    Long Live Xoriat | East Side | Spiritus Mundi

  2. #2
    Community Member elraido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydril View Post
    How about making it viable to use a shield again?

    What about a fighter enhancement line that provides static stacking DR via a shield.

    There are 70 ac TWF monk builds tumbling all over insulting people with tower shields.

    How about a shield AC enhancement line?

    How about about we make some better shields for the loot tables?

    How about we do anything to give a reason for people to not make yet another TWF build.
    Aren't there already like 50 threads like this?
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

  3. #3
    The Left Side
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In the shadow of numerous infractions
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    /not signed. If the devs did make shields worthwhile, people would didn't have shields would complain, and then there would be a massive "Nerf the Shield" movement. Lets keep it gimpy. Far less work that way ...

    Tormenting Role Players, Perma-Death players, and Turbine Mods since February 2006!
    Clandestine * Magestic * HughJaas * Chaloopa * LaBamba * Fervent * DezNuda * Heinous * DeLaScorcha * Waxxoff

  4. #4
    Community Member Pyromaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Shields are useful, they clutter up our loot tables so we can't get something we want.

    /not signed but I have a suggestion - please up the gold piece value of all shields...
    Thanks for the long time forum user purge of Aug '10 (Sarcasm for those who don't get it)

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    558

    Default

    those of you who are lobbying against the improvement of shield use..what are you lobbying for? more imbalance? More advantages for two weapon fighting? Frankly I'm really surprised the devs let things get this out of balance. Its not that difficult to provide small things to improve game balance. The only people I see toting around shields are clerics and intimitanks, and only about 50% of those.
    Last edited by Sydril; 02-06-2009 at 10:43 AM.
    - Raja Stormcrow -
    http://thesublimeguild.com
    Thelanis Permadeath
    Long Live Xoriat | East Side | Spiritus Mundi

  6. #6
    Community Member Elaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydril View Post
    There are 70 ac TWF monk builds tumbling all over insulting people with tower shields.
    That is a great line.
    Akori-Fighter Iroka-Sorcerer Censured-Rogue Isilti-Cleric Tony-Sorcerer Duress-Cleric Elaril-Fighter Avatard-Fighter Mitigation-Paladin Loose-Bard Shiken-Fighter Unreasonably-Barbarian Jueh-Monk

  7. #7
    Founder coolpenguin410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    685

    Default

    /signed

    There was a time, back in the good ole' days, when a cleric would refuse to heal some THF'ers unless they went sword and board. Not that I agree with that sentiment, but still, shields had a purpose.

    Now, there's no real way to use a shield to up your AC as there is already and that's fine. I don't really agree with enhancements that increase your AC either.

    However, I did see another thread that suggested spontaneous DR from your shield. That might work.

    And I ask, is 'becaues some people will complain' a valid reason to not do something? What could the high-AC, non-shield user possibly complain about? That they take more damage than shield users but STILL GET HIT LESS OFTEN? Really?

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Another nice enhancement / prestige line for fighters might be elemental resistances via shield. 1-4 point cost line for 3,6,9,12 resistances. prereq shield mastery etc.
    - Raja Stormcrow -
    http://thesublimeguild.com
    Thelanis Permadeath
    Long Live Xoriat | East Side | Spiritus Mundi

  9. #9
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
    Shields are useful, they clutter up our loot tables so we can't get something we want.
    This amuses me greatly.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  10. #10
    Founder negative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mabar, the Endless Night
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolpenguin410 View Post
    There was a time, back in the good ole' days, when a cleric would refuse to heal some THF'ers unless they went sword and board. Not that I agree with that sentiment, but still, shields had a purpose.
    In retrospec, that was one of the worst things that happened back during Mod1-3.

    I know a few returning vets, who are casual players who had built SnB barbarians (what a backwards idea that was even then) and now they all need to reroll. Which is fine, except they don't play enough to do that.
    Drakion, Leader of the Lightbringers - Argonnessen - A Founding Guild

    Currently Leveling: Drakyon the Sinner - Human Cleric

  11. #11
    Founder William_the_Bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    842

    Default

    Shields are uber! up until around level 10, when they stop scaling up. After that they get suckier and suckier as everyone else's AC continues to rise and yours does not.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by negative View Post
    I know a few returning vets, who are casual players who had built SnB barbarians (what a backwards idea that was even then) and now they all need to reroll.
    No need to re-roll at all: ANY S&B Barb can easily re-spec into THF for ~3 Dragonshards... That said, Barbs do make good intimitanks as well.

  13. #13
    Founder negative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mabar, the Endless Night
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icculus View Post
    No need to re-roll at all: ANY S&B Barb can easily re-spec into THF for ~3 Dragonshards... That said, Barbs do make good intimitanks as well.
    Some that I know also have stat point issues, but that may be unrelated.

    And I agree, barbs can make good intimitanks. But those builds rely on DR and HP, not AC.

    On topic, I'm all for seeing shields get a boost somehow. Not sure what the OP suggests is the best (why should only fighters get the enhancements) but something does need to be done.
    Drakion, Leader of the Lightbringers - Argonnessen - A Founding Guild

    Currently Leveling: Drakyon the Sinner - Human Cleric

  14. #14
    Founder coolpenguin410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by negative View Post
    In retrospec, that was one of the worst things that happened back during Mod1-3.

    I know a few returning vets, who are casual players who had built SnB barbarians (what a backwards idea that was even then) and now they all need to reroll. Which is fine, except they don't play enough to do that.
    Actually, I know of a S&B barb who's a great tank to have in your party. He's 16 barb, took the Tower Shield Prof feat and has an unbuffed AC in the high 40's. Think of it: 400+ HP, high AC, Exp Retreat, Dim Door and Teleport clickies from feats, +50% healing from enhancements and items, and swinging a bastard sword with a 30+ strength...that's all before raging.

  15. #15
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolpenguin410 View Post
    [...] and has an unbuffed AC in the high 40's.
    Hello. How are you?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  16. #16
    Founder negative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mabar, the Endless Night
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolpenguin410 View Post
    Actually, I know of a S&B barb who's a great tank to have in your party. He's 16 barb, took the Tower Shield Prof feat and has an unbuffed AC in the high 40's. Think of it: 400+ HP, high AC, Exp Retreat, Dim Door and Teleport clickies from feats, +50% healing from enhancements and items, and swinging a bastard sword with a 30+ strength...that's all before raging.
    LOL Good one

    You are joking...right?
    Drakion, Leader of the Lightbringers - Argonnessen - A Founding Guild

    Currently Leveling: Drakyon the Sinner - Human Cleric

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,190

    Default

    how about....nah

    just give fighters something juicy and fun to play with, they'll stop crying over their shields eventually.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    A shield bash built into auto attack would work for me, kinda like having 2 weapons.

  19. #19
    Community Member Noctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolpenguin410 View Post
    Actually, I know of a S&B barb who's a great tank to have in your party. He's 16 barb, took the Tower Shield Prof feat and has an unbuffed AC in the high 40's. Think of it: 400+ HP, high AC, Exp Retreat, Dim Door and Teleport clickies from feats, +50% healing from enhancements and items, and swinging a bastard sword with a 30+ strength...that's all before raging.

    Huh? Huuuuh?!?


    took the Tower Shield Prof featand has an unbuffed AC in the high 40's.
    So that means if he doesnt rage he has an AC in the low 50´s most of the time = barely noticeable. Thats where AC starts working, but not to an extend where you see much of a difference.

    that's all before raging.
    If he doesnt rage he is basically a Fighter without Bonus feats. If he rages his AC goes down to where it has no effect any more.
    ---> All the AC effort for vain while still suffereing low DPS or renouncing 80% of your classe´s abilities to have a barely noticeable AC.


    400+ HP
    This is nice for a melee, but far from extraordinary. Average.


    Exp Retreat, Dim Door and Teleport clickies from feats,
    They are nice when soloing, but have no gain when you are fighting. They only offer convenience for the player, not combat prowess.


    +50% healing from enhancements and items,
    This is finally am ability where the character shines. If he is intimidate-tanking specced.
    Okay HP, DR from blocking with the Tower Shield and easy healing up. Thats a nice combo.

    But dont try to play this character as either AC or DPS, because it has neither with a Tower Shield on his arm.
    Last edited by Noctus; 02-06-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzassassin (just passing through - ignore me) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

  20. #20
    Founder coolpenguin410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Huh? Huuuuh?!?




    So that means if he doesnt rage he has an AC in the low 50´s most of the time = barely noticeable. Thats where AC starts working, but not to an extend where you see much of a difference.



    If he doesnt rage he is basically a Fighter without Bonus feats. If he rages his AC goes down to where it has no effect any more.
    ---> All the AC effort for vain while still suffereing low DPS or renouncing 80% of your classe´s abilities to have a barely noticeable AC.




    This is nice for a melee, but far from extraordinary. Average.




    They are nice when soloing, but have no gain when you are fighting. They only offer convenience for the player, not combat prowess.




    This is finally am ability where the character shines. If he is intimidate-tanking specced.
    Okay HP, DR from blocking with the Tower Shield and easy healing up. Thats a nice combo.

    But dont try to play this character as either AC or DPS, because it has neither with a Tower Shield on his arm.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...not a power gamer build. I know. But, he's still an excellent tank to group with. And yeah, I should know better than to post details of a casual gamer's build on the forums.

    You do realize you missed the point, right? Granted each item, when measured alone would be considered sub-par (especially on the forums). Even, I have trouble believing he can make this character work (and most of my characters are gimps). But with everything put together, this character truly shines and is great to have around. It doesn't matter that he doesn't do 900+ damage a shot or have impenetrable AC. He doesn't need either.

    Anyways, I've probably derailed the thread enough. My apologies to the OP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload