Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Bard Capstone Preview: Musical Prodigy

Our inspiring friends, the Bards, are today's feature. Their first capstone does a little bit of everything, just like they do:

Bard Musical Prodigy
    Prereq: Level 20 Bard
    Cost: 2 AP
    Benefit: You gain +2 Charisma, two additional uses of Bardic Music, as well as +2 to Spell Penetration checks and the DC's of your Enchantment spells. Your beneficial songs last 20% longer.

Edit: Insert standard disclaimer here, that I keep forgetting to write during my initial drafts. Subject to change during testing, may be nothing like this once it goes live, etc.
    Last edited by Tolero; 05-29-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Meh.
    Guilds: Prophets of the New Republic & Revenents Khyber
    Active:
    Clean 18barb/2ftr Cleen 20arti Kleaner 20monk Darkstaar Dark Knight Psyborg 20sorc Warrwitch 20wiz Roque 19rog/1mnk Killeric 18fvs/2monk AA Duality Helves Angel
    Builds: Helves Angel Hurtlocker Dark Knight Riddle of Steel

This is another wow capstone and I mean wow. Every single spellsinger or non melee oriented bard has to be pure bard. It is just pretty overpowered.

On a personal note I have been playing hangover, my spellsinger bard, for 2 years any chance there will be a respec so I can respec her to pure. I really enjoy playing her, but this just absolutely kills her and I can't stomach rerolling her..
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

I assume that the +2 Charisma stacks with everything, right?

This sounds like it should be the next step in Virtuoso

The name should be changed. Prodigy with a gifted talent at an early age. This is level 20.

Opus Magnum?
    Deft Performer?
    Last edited by Ustice; 01-29-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    For the latest DDO info how, where, and when you want it...
    DDO Reports: DDO. News. Now.
    For instant updates (even on your mobile device), follow DDO Reports on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    Meh.
    haha.. you think of this in too much of a melee light.. For melee bards this doesnt help at all but for spellsinger cc/healing bards its the bomb..
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    haha.. you think of this in too much of a melee light.. For melee bards this doesnt help at all but for spellsinger cc/healing bards its the bomb..
    I assume there will be another capstone for melee bards?

Like ya said Eladrin, Bards are a lil of everything...some dont worry about spell DC's, max CHA scores or spell pen...
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

I'm glad I didn't splash my 16 Bard now!
    Gornn 3:16 says: Gornn just hugged yo' @$$!
    Ask Gornn! http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=156209
    Ask Gornn! archives http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Categ..._Gornn_Archive
    "It's only elitist if you're not actually better than everyone else."

Yet another reason for Warchanters to splash

So, Eladrin.

How does Spell Pen help a Bard when quite a few enemies in the later parts of the game are outright immune to many of their spells?
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    So, Eladrin.

How does Spell Pen help a Bard when quite a few enemies in the later parts of the game are outright immune to many of their spells?
    Thats what the +2 to DC is for...oh.....nm.
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

We really wanted to make this:

Bard Theme Music
    Prereqs: Level 20 Bard
    Benefit: Activate this ability to change the dungeon background music to a different, random song. (No cooldown.)

Wow!!!
    The Nak Abides - Ascent - Argonnessen
    Tanak Arcarius (TR) ~ Xanak the Irregular (TR) ~ Sanak the Streak (TR)
    Ganak Goblinjuicer (TR) ~ Panak (TR) ~ Wanak Ryuha (TR) ~ Vanak Ahriman (TR)
    Manak Bloodscreamer (TR) ~ Qanak the Absolute (TR) ~ Kanak (TR) ~ Fanak Voltaic(TR)

my one pure bard non melee will like this, love this actually. but my 4 other melee bards agree with darkstar. meh. i'm hoping they'll be a more melee focused one to go with.

Community Member Dozen_Black_Roses's Avatar

yep I'm happy with it, now just give us some other instruments or customizable music and my Gaelsongs will be happy campers.
    Shogyo Mujo (Nothing lasts forever and everything must change).
    @>---Fuhgly, Suzee, Blohnde, Shakkei, Redhawt, Sanctified, Punkrawk, Gaelsong, Deviliscious, Liethal----<@

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Benefit: You gain +2 Charisma, two additional uses of Bardic Music, as well as +2 to Spell Penetration checks and the DC's of your Enchantment spells. Your beneficial songs last 20% longer.
    This seems fine for a capstone, but only from the perspective that it's something every bard20 would want to spend AP on. It doesn't do anything to fill the other role some people hope capstones will do, which is reduce the incentive to splash another class. A bard18/rog2 will remain a more-powerful choice, as will bard19/barb1 for Warchanter.

I hope mod9 includes some other incentive to stay bard, particularly good spells of level 5 and 6 (and not just duplicates of wizzy spells)

Non-first post!

Community Member

Bard Theme Music
    Benefit: Activate this ability to change the dungeon background music to a different, random song. (No cooldown.)
    That'd be the bomb...

On the capstone, from my Warchanter w/ 1 level of Fighter point of view: Meh. +20% duration is nice, of course, but it won't be missed too sorely. A good capstone I think. Rewarding and nice, but not a requirement.

Community Member Dozen_Black_Roses's Avatar

and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what stoped you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bard Theme Music
    Shogyo Mujo (Nothing lasts forever and everything must change).
    @>---Fuhgly, Suzee, Blohnde, Shakkei, Redhawt, Sanctified, Punkrawk, Gaelsong, Deviliscious, Liethal----<@

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Definitely very powerful for a spellsinger build. I'd even say it is probably overpowered, considering the bonuses you actually get, but they may feel it is necessary. The +2 Bardic Music uses are nice, but at level 20, it won't be a big difference, particularly not with the songs lasting 20% longer as well. The +2 DC to enchantment spells will keep bard spell DCs on par with sorcs and wizards, even taking into account level 9 spells, so while it is very powerful, they may have felt it was necessary in order for a CC bard to remain viable in endgame content. I think +1 to Enchantment spells would be a fairer bonus. As for the spell penetration bonus, it is nice, but again, not exactly in line with the flavor of the capstone.

I think +2 Charisma, 20% longer songs, and +1 to Enchantment DC would be fair when comparing it to the Wizard capstone.
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Bard Theme Music
    There is background music?

Of course you could have just added that on as an extra little bonus for the music prodigy, unless there are technical reasons why it can't be added
    Last edited by The Cataclysm; 01-29-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Our inspiring friends, the Bards, are today's feature. Their first capstone does a little bit of everything, just like they do:
    For those that may have missed it, they've already said there would likely be multiple capstones for each class(Or at least some, can't recall the exact quote), but they might not make it into mod 9.
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast