Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default A good build for a newbie like me

Does any1 know a good build for a rogue, its a dark blade type. Like should I advance the class to a level 2 rogue or do I get like a combination of another class?

Community Member

Default Great Thread, Thanks

F2P Newbies first post. LOL

Thanks a whole bunch for putting this together, Ollathir. I'm gonna go read ALL of this stuff.

With luck, one of these will get me over the beginners hump. And then, maybe, I can even stop soloing while I wait for my RL buds to join me here.

I am reading - A New Players Guide to getting ahead in Stormreach - now. I barely started reading it and spotted one big flaw in my game plan. I don't own a Headset w/ Microphone. D'OH
    What can I say, I never needed one. I always play NWN and other C-RPG solo. :\

Luckily the thread suggests how a player might still listen. Next time I'm In Game I'll look for and try to turn ON voice chat to see if anyone say HI!

Hmm... But that brings up an interesting question: Is it considered rude on DDO to always solo? Perhaps that question deserves it's own thread.

But if you ARE comfortable being a solo player, will others be offended if you choose to not join their party? Also, is there a level where you MUST join a party or die every time you go into dungeon X?

Or is "the pleb" just over thinking this whole idea solo player rudeness and no one really cares if he keeps to myself on that rare day he can play the game for two hours in a row without the wife interrupting? :\

Default Picture?

Thanks for the information people and you to Ollathir. Love it.
    Last edited by Hailia; 03-11-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: repeat content

Quote Originally Posted by kamuigui View Post
    ~
    Turbine doesn't release those numbers however, all the servers have decent populations. Your best bet would be to create a Free account on each and base your decision on when you are available to play vs. group activity on that server. The good news is, you will have a few more Turbine points in your account to use when you come to a decision.

In the long run, regardless of where you end up, your best option is to find an active guild of like minded players, on one of the servers. Good luck.
    Arcade~Arkades~Lakedaemon~Viktarion~Meraxes~Af~Ark ade~Barakade~Darkpadawan

thanks, I will recomend it to others

Possible to add this link which is a guideline for etiquette in parties? I would have found this very useful when I first joined and was nervous about joining groups.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=241287

Community Member

I have posted a guide that will be expanded to cover various crafting devices. For now, it only covers the crafting hall, but come have a look anyway

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=327726

By the way, the post is called "A simple guide to crafting"

If the glitches in DDO get this bad, even if it's just a graphics bug, I'm quitting.

Default HP and fort

Please keep in mind when making your first toon to give it a decent amount of HP all the dps in the world doesnt matter for anything if you cant stay alive to utilize it. I recomend At least 16con maybe 14 if you are dwarf or warforge and are going to use enhancement points to make up for the lack of con.

Warforge is a great way to go for newbies Starts you with 25% fort which means you only need moderate fort item to get to 100% fort which is important because then you cannot be critted anymore and helps you stay alive.

warforge is also greta for newbies because it gives you alot of immunities that as a fleshy you would need to farm items for. Some fleshys don't have immunity items and are constantly asking for diseae and posion removals but a true good player won't ever ask.

most servers are short on healers so it is important you help them out so they will help you out. If your not nice to your healer most likely he wont heal you in the future. Kindness in this game goes a long ways.

i think a new sticky specifically for tihocans new player build thread is warranted, its probably the single most wanted information for new ddo-ers
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

Community Member

Could you add guntherbovine journal there ?

I did not read the walkthroughs detail but it gave me a good idea about the quests i could solo. It helped me a lot since before i often picked quest that were very solo unfriendly.

Quote Originally Posted by aennae View Post
    Could you add guntherbovine journal there ?

I did not read the walkthroughs detail but it gave me a good idea about the quests i could solo. It helped me a lot since before i often picked quest that were very solo unfriendly.
    He has a few so I added them all. Thanks for letting me know about these.
    Arcade~Arkades~Lakedaemon~Viktarion~Meraxes~Af~Ark ade~Barakade~Darkpadawan

The two shortlived threads in my sig were written to explain the Dnd d20 combat to people unfamiliar with the core gameplay mechanics. Throughout the game you can see a fair few new players thinking that they need spell penetration instead of raising their DC's, or that their reflex save dictates whether an attack misses. It's not necessarily an intuitive system for people who've never tried pnp, and it'd be nice to have them somewhere besides burried inside the advice and guidance forum.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

I wrote a guide on the melee class forum on how to improve your survivability if you are a melee. The thread lists several basics and also advanced tips on how to stay alive better. I tried to keep it objective and easy to read, due to the amount of feedback on it I divided it into several pieces giving tips on basics, basic equipment, advanced, advanced equipment, potions and buffs/feats to use.

it can be read at http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=388500

Is there a thread somewhere that provides a glossary of some of the terms and acronyms that people use,, either in-game or in the forums? I'd find that a helpful addition to this great list!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakestail View Post
    Is there a thread somewhere that provides a glossary of some of the terms and acronyms that people use,, either in-game or in the forums? I'd find that a helpful addition to this great list!
    Yes but I can't remember the name of the thread.

To the OP, check out Spyderwolf's thread - Video Library of Quests- and see if you think it would be a good thing to add to the list. I've had it subscribed since the day I ran across it.
    Last edited by Orratti; 12-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Community Member

Default very nice thread

very nice thread u have put together here , many thx

Community Member

As a new player, this thread has really been a godsend. Thank you so much for posting it and I hope to continue to use it as I move forward through my DDO adventures!
    Rigtag Goldlaw- 5th level Dwarven Cleric of Khyber
    Morvolio- 4th level Warforged Wizard of Khyber

Community Member

Just thought I'd bump this thread to let you guys know none of the links from the first post are working.

Default New Player Advice & Guide Headache

This is useless when the links lead to nowhere. All I got out of this was a major headache.

Community Member

Try with the advanced search... choose search titles and paste "Revisiting paths: Builds for new players " (example)

Anyway, I hope they will fix this...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast