The intention of this is to give new players all the tools at their disposal to make the game more entertaining and rewarding. Anything placed here I have found personally helpful at one time or another. However if any of the authors of these posts would like their link removed, or if anyone wants a link added please let me know, I’d be happy to oblige.
Bear in mind this is for general gaming geared toward the beginner and I have not added any specific class discussions to this. If the community in general feels that would be a boon, let me know and I’ll track them down and add them.
***To the New Player***
Though many questions you may have coming into the game can be answered in these posts, the players that post in these forums are a great resource in and of themselves. Whether to get questions answered from the technical to just general questions about the game or your character build, if you have a question, feel free to ask. You can also use the /joinchannel help (or now the Advice Channel) in the game. Click on the link for instructions and learning about different channels and how to set them up.
For an additional handy resource feel free to visit the ***DDO Links*** page.
- Turbine Support Center
- A New Players Guide to getting ahead in Stormreach.- Created By Impaqt. This is a MUST READ for any new player in DDO. Great tips and advice for making your game play a lot more worthwhile and fun. Thanks Impaqt.
- The Big Honking Newbie Thread - Created By Depravity. Helpful starters guide with screen shots helping you visualize the mechanics of the game, a Users Guide.
- Character Planner-Created by Ron. The work put into this downloadable application could never be appreciated enough. This is a great way to build your character before even playing the game. You could spend hours in this application alone. If you have a question about a build you create in here, use the export function and post it in the forums. I have some very viable builds because of this tool. Thanks Ron. *Updated Page*
- Character Planner Speadsheet- Created by binnsr. This character planner has more of an PnP (Pen and Paper ) feel to it. Requires Excel to open.
- Clickies, The Route To Self Sufficiency- Created by Aranticus. What are Clickies? Some items you will find in the game like this Ring of Rage, Have charges on them. (Please note that even though the caster level for the ring is level 5, there is no minimum user level for this item.) This item has 1 charge and can be used 1 time per day to cast rage on yourself. This post will give you a better understanding of what they are, and how to use them.
- DDO Wiki- Newbie Guide- Created By Elliot Cable, BorrorO,Tihocan.
- Item Defense really worth it?- A discussion started by ivar415 regarding item defense enhancements and if they are worth it for newer players. Found the information from Gorby very helpful.
- Journal of an Experienced Newbie - Level 1 thru 10 - (Melee)- Created By augie. Some helpful illustrations and companion guide "is an experience of leveling up a non-twinked, non-funded player living off of nothing other than knowledge of the game and naturally occurring loot".
- Name Generator - Saw this on the EU Forums page created by Smitey. It links you out of the Forums and into The Wizards of the Coast web page. If your stuck on what name to provide your new character give this a try.
- New Player Equipment Help Guide - Created By MrWizard. Help in gearing your character up to take on Ebberon.
- Review of all adventure packs for F2P-Created by sirgog. Very handy guide that can help you select the adventure packs right for you.
- Revisiting paths: Builds for new players - Created By tihocan. A helpfull alternative/companion to the build paths available at character generation.
- RoBi3.0's Free to Play Guide- Created by RoBi3.0, pronounced Rowbee A solid guide for the free to play crowd.
- Spell Schools 101 - Created by Zeddicuss_Zulander. A great way to get familiar with the different spells and their respective schools, in DDO.
- Templates for New Players- Created by Aranticus. One of the mechanics in the game at character creation is the ability to customize your character. Also one of the mechanics is a Favor based system of play. Favor is granted to you by completing a quest. Here are some 28 point builds, (available to you until you unlock 400 points of Favor for playing a Drow, or 1750 points of Favor to create a 32 point build), that you may find meet your needs.
- XP needed per level - Created By Bloodhaven. Very handy quick reference guide.
- Etiquette in parties- Created By TheLallian
- A Solo Challenge/Collective Diary - All Are Invited-
- My "How to solo quests with lousy equipment" Journal-
- Make Money Fast! (in U9 DDO)-
- Journal of a soloing Drow Wizard-
Created by GuntherBovine
- The Definitive Attack Bonus Thread- Created by Impaqt. This helpful thread is inclined toward the melee class characters. Want to know how to max out your “To Hit” or “Attack” modifier this can answer your questions.
- Weapon Attribute Specs- Created by Sacrement. You will find that certain monsters you will encounter are immune or have D/R(Damage Reduction) to one type of metal, weapon type or effect on a weapon. Some effects on weapons actually heal a monster. This is a great post to check out to help maximize your success on your next encounter, and equipping your character.
- DDO Creature Compilation- Created by Hafeal. Some helpful information about the creatures you will encounter in the DDO world.
- The NEW Definitive AC Bonus Thread-Created by Impaqt. You'll hear the term Armor Class more than a few times. Arm yourself with the basics that can be found here. A guide outlining the types of AC available and what stacks with what to help get the most out of it if that is your goal.
- AC by Class Bonus- Created by Ollathir. Why did I create this? Is AC really that important? Yes and No. Depending on what role you chose to play, AC will help you or not be that much help at all. This will help to answer questions regarding what classes offer the best AC innately and what dont. There are some big changes headed our way with the next mod and it can’t hurt to know this and at what level or requirements there may be to maxing out your AC potential. There are also some helpful links at the bottom of that post.
Exploring & Collecting
- Rowanheal's Comprehensive Quest List- Created by Rowanheal. It's the best spreadsheet for "at a glance" listing of all 204 quests including quest favor, XP, location or quest giver.
- The Lost Quest Guide- Created by Lost Leader. This guide is extremely helpful in navigating most of the quests in the game. Stuck trying to figure your way through a quest, not sure what classes you should bring, or what you will be facing, try here. If you want to be surprised and not know what to expect when you run the quests, stay away.
- New & Improved Definitive Collectables List- Created by Steiner-Davion. There are over a hundred collectibles in this game. Several can be used to add great benefits to your equipment and weapons. All can be traded in for something else. Maximize your understanding of these and add even more fun to the game.
- Collectables Location Spreadsheet- Created by Garth_of_Sarlona and marcosoneghett. A great spreadsheet for the collectables in helping you to locate and turn in. Very handy guide. This links you out of the DDO forums.
- Eldritch Rituals Cookbook- Created by Cambo. Though it may be some time before you get to the level of crafting Greensteel items, I’ve included it here for reference on what Collectibles currently can be used to create a desired effect on equipment or weapons.
- Definitive Static Rewards and Unique Loot Thread- Created by Dragon Star. One of the most used resource posts in the game. The way you build your character is important, how you equip them can make all the difference. This is a great post that you will find yourself going to again and again.
- * Definitive Static Rewards and Unique Loot Thread *- Created by Shiler. Who is maintaining this thread while Dragon.Star is away. Last Update will generally be found at the top of both these links to help you determine which to reference.
- Static Rewards and Unique Loot Web Application -Created By jjflanigan
A very well put together application that can help you sort and find information about the Named items in game.
- Dorims Map Shop- Created by Airidil. This is the best place to get a map of explorer areas in the game. This is a very helpful resource for helping both new and seasoned players. Sometimes I wish I could Hot Bar it.
- Tackilack's Definative Puzzle Resource Guide- Created by Harncw. Several of the quest's in DDO have puzzles that require some thought from early on to the more advanced quest's. If you find yourself getting stuck on finding the solution, this will help you out quite a bit. If you prefer to be suprised and figure it out on your own, stay away.
- Everything you wanted to know about crafting- Created By GuntherBovine
You may find yourself wanting to do a bit more running around by yourself, or with a friend or two. Hirelings can help make more quests possible for you to accomplish, and if used right, save you some expenses.
- Hiring a Hireling- Created by Tolero. This is the best place to start out for an in depth look at how to use Hirelings to make your adventuring more fun.
- Compendium Hireling listing- This links you out of the Forums website into the DDO Compendium. The Hireling listing is also linked in the above thread. If you plan on using Hirelings, check this listing out and get to know what your Hireling is capable of.