Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Paladin Capstone: Weapons of Good (official preview)

Paladins have received a few boosts to their damage output against their traditional foes through the Hunter of the Dead and Knight of the Chalice prestige enhancement lines, and their first capstone continues to emphasize the good fight against darkness.

Paladin Weapons of Good
    Prereq: Level 20 Paladin
    Cost: 2 AP
    Benefit: Any weapon you wield is considered Good aligned for purposes of bypassing damage reduction, deal 1d6 additional holy damage against all evil opponents and an additional 2d6 light damage against evil undead or evil outsiders.

This enhancement brings an extra bit of punch to a Paladin, especially when they're fighting evil outsiders. The extra dice of damage from Weapons of Good stack with other weapon enchantments, so even your common Holy Sword can become a dangerous weapon unless you're running through a quest like Purge the Heretics.

Edit:
    Insert the standard "this is a preview, still subject to change, in testing, etc." disclaimer.

Edit 2:
    Modified benefit to match current testing implementation.
    Last edited by Eladrin; 01-28-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Nice addition.
    For the latest DDO info how, where, and when you want it...
    DDO Reports: DDO. News. Now.
    For instant updates (even on your mobile device), follow DDO Reports on Twitter.

Community Member

that's pretty nice.

Do these stack? So an extra 4d6 against undead/evil outsiders?

A capstone enhancement that is essentially: +7 for all weapon damage (+14 v evil outsiders/undead) is absolutely incredible.
    Almost nearly always: Ghallanda, THE OLD TIMERS' GUILD
    Most likely: Heisenberg, Landau, Boltzmann, Sommerfeld, Rutherford, Bohr, Tezla, and Dirac.
    But also: Vigner, Minkowski, Schrodinger, Fermi, Hartree, Sternn, Gerlach, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    It says 'and' so I would assume yes.

This combined with Knight of the Chalice makes for some nice DPS.

Aelvara - Bagel - Bagelbot - Daarna - Kraldor - Minibagel - Uberlute - Wounder

|||-C a f f e i n e-|||
    |||Q u a n t u m - E n t r o p y|||

4d6 to evil undead and evil outsiders. If you run into a good aligned undead, it won't actually do anything to them.

(Also, many undead are vulnerable to Light damage, so it may end up more than that.)

Default Nice but not good enough

The extra damage is nice but i will still take my evasion, UMD, and intimidation i get from 2 lvls of rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Benefit: Any weapon you wield deal 2d6 additional holy damage against non-good opponents and 2d6 additional light damage against evil undead or evil outsiders.
    The part highlighted in red would seem to indicate yes.

More interesting is the holy damage against non-good opponents vs the traditional reading of holy damage vs evil opponents.

This enhancement could give paladins a nice damage boost vs neutral and other non-good creatures rather then simply against only evil creatures.
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by talyor View Post
    The extra damage is nice but i will still take my evasion, UMD, and intimidation i get from 2 lvls of rogue.
    You beat me. Darn.
    "Multi-Classing: If you don't know what you are doing...please don't do it."
    Arkkanoz / Barbarrus / BoarAxe / Bruttus / Dahlamaar / Dexxaan / Dominattrix / Gregorius / Inquisittor / Mechanikkus / Predattor / Suntzzu / Valkeerya

Oh my.. That is ridiculous and seems overpowering.. 4d6 damage against in all probability a high % of the population in the next mod. I am trying to measure that against evasion and certain build types. I would say unless you are a high ac build there is no reason to go multi-class in my opinion. Another example of where multi-classed builds get killed. A more appropriate capstone would be 1d6 against non good mobs and 1d6 more light damage against evil outsider/undead. My pally with 2 monk splash that is a high dps/moderate ac build just got gimped.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Blows the monk capstone out of the water.

Thats a good thing...if it was so overpowered it made multiclassing obsolete it would be too powerful.

Looks like a home run on this one. Super powerful, but targeted...
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Looting's our business and business is good.
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

Community Member

The extra dice of damage from Weapons of Good stack with other weapon enchantments, so even your common Holy Sword can become a dangerous weapon unless you're running through a quest like Purge the Heretics.
    Running with Devils could be a better example, unless the that cuts a little too close to home for you.

Anyway, this capstone looks exceedingly good, and the other melee capstones will have to be really powerful to catch up to it at all. (For reasons of flavor AND balance, I'd suggest that it do less damage to neutral humanoids than evil ones)

Makes the Rogue capstone seem pathetic by comparison (which is not necessarily a balance problem, but it will certainly make Rog20 players feel upset). Basically, the paladin capstone will make someone think twice about splashing rog2 or fig1, but rogues see no reason at all not to take fig1, ran1, or barb1.
    Last edited by Angelus_dead; 01-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Paladins have received a few boosts to their damage output against their traditional foes through the Hunter of the Dead and Knight of the Chalice prestige enhancement lines, and their first capstone continues to emphasize the good fight against darkness.

Paladin Weapons of Good
    Prereq: Level 20 Paladin
    Cost: 2 AP
    Benefit: Any weapon you wield deal 2d6 additional holy damage against non-good opponents and 2d6 additional light damage against evil undead or evil outsiders.

While this enhancement does not make your weapon "good" aligned like the Pure Good, Holy, or Holy Burst weapon enchantments, it brings an extra bit of punch to a Paladin, especially when they're fighting evil outsiders. The extra dice of damage from Weapons of Good stack with other weapon enchantments, so even your common Holy Sword can become a dangerous weapon unless you're running through a quest like Purge the Heretics.

*Salivates*....*Still Salivating*...*I'm gonna be doing this a while, excuse me*. Very good job on this one Turbine. Two thumbs up from Gum!
    Last edited by Gum; 01-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    **As the Great Emu is one with the hill, so am I with the Great Emu.**
    PlatinumKnightsddo.us

This with the Holy Avenger is gonna be teh UBERZ!

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Oh my.. That is ridiculous and seems overpowering.. 4d6 damage against in all probability a high % of the population in the next mod. I am trying to measure that against evasion and certain build types. I would say unless you are a high ac build there is no reason to go multi-class in my opinion. Another example of where multi-classed builds get killed. A more appropriate capstone would be 1d6 against non good mobs and 1d6 more light damage against evil outsider/undead. My pally with 2 monk splash that is a high dps/moderate ac build just got gimped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexxaan View Post
    You beat me. Darn.
    And this is why it must be fun to be a Dev! LOL
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Looting's our business and business is good.
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

Can we respec? Seriously this is annoying.. Some capstone - the rogue for example are weak and others are extremely strong.. Prestige enhancements vary so much. Perhaps that is the super secret project - a respec option.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

i like it. enhancing what they do best, eff up some evil dudes.

Community Member

I'm sorry, but this rocks.

I can forsee paladins being popular in some of these present end-game quests...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathseeker View Post
    And this is why it must be fun to be a Dev! LOL
    Those guys all have ac builds... I don't..

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast