Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using DDO with a XBOX360 Controller

Hey All…

I recently read here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=153100

About a user, sephiroth1084, who was using a PSP controller for DDO. Recently I have switched to an XBOX360 controller because I’ve experienced a bit of RSI playing DDO. So in order to alleviate it but still play as much as I want I went with the controller.

And I have to say that it’s totally doable and SCHWEET! The Hardest thing about going from mouse to controller is EVERYTHING. Mostly the control of the camera angles will be the hardest transition you will make, it’s hard to believe how mach fine control you give up using a controller over a mouse, it’s almost like you have to teach yourself how to walk again. But if you are patient and take your time, you will see the benefits of switching over and soon it will feel totally natural.

If you get a chance, try it, I would totally recommend it, but be warned, if you are a hardcore mouse user, there will be a learning curve involved. But, for me at least, the fact that I experience no more pain after a long session of DDO easily outweigh the learning curve involved.

Now I do not own an Xbox360, so if you do, I am sure this will come more natural to you than it did for me. I purchased the XBOX 360 wireless controller for $77 Canadian. In American, that’s like $45 USD. So I think it’s not an unreasonable investment to make if you want to try it and see what happens.

For my Paladin, Mr. Sparkle, I have the following configuration set up…

Right Trigger: Modifier Key
    ]Left Trigger: Attack

Button “A”: Click (Left Mouse Button)
    Button “B”: Cancel
    Button “X”: Improved Trip
    Button “Y”: Stunning Blow

Left Stick: Move Forward\Backward, Strafe Left\Right
    Left Stick Button: Jump
    Right Stick: Camera Control
    Right Stick Button: Click \ Select

Hatswitch Left: Hotbar 1-1 (Main Weapon) - +5 Icy Burst Heavy Pick
    Hatswitch Top: Hotbar 1-2 (Secondary Weapon) +2 Transmuting Heavy Pick
    Hatswitch Bottom: Hotbar 1-3 (Secondary Weapon) +2 Keen Smiting Heavy Pick
    Hatswitch Right: Hotbar 1-4 (Secondary Weapon) +2 Ghost touch Heavy Pick of Disruption

Back Button: AutoRun
    Start Button: Camera Control ON\OFF

Left Side Button: Exalted Smite
    Right Side Button: Lay on Hands

Then when you add the modifier button in with the controls you get the additional functionality…

Anything marked with <Reserved> I have not yet decided what to do with yet.

Modifier Key Alone: Highlight Nearest Enemy

Modifier Key +

Left Trigger: Block \ Shield Smash

Button “B”: Interact / Use
    Button “X”: Examine
    Button “Y”: Highlight Next Enemy

Hatswitch Left: <Reserved>
    Hatswitch Top: <Reserved>
    Hatswitch Bottom: Hotbar 1-5 Divine Favor
    Hatswitch Right: Hotbar 2-5 Divine Might

Back Button: Map
    Start Button: Quest Report

Left Side Button: Highlight Next Object
    Right Side Button: Zeal

So as you can see there is a TON of goodness you can cram into the XBOX 360 controller. The thing is HELLUVA comfortable and easy to handle, as well as easy on Batteries (1 month on a pair of Double A’s and still going strong). But because of the sheer amount of equipment players tend to keep on their characters for special situations, you still do need a keyboard nearby to easily switch to that deathblock necklace when the situation calls for it.

And right now there is a crash bug in the AH when you use the controller to expand the martial weapons list with the controller, so for those times, I just use my mouse as normal.

So how good is the actual control ? Well, I’ve been to the Coalescence Chamber without falling off anything, I’ve been to rainbow in the dark without impaling myself, I’ve survived the Crucible and am still going strong. One of the nice things about the controller is the movement stick seems to have a variable speed control built into it, so moving just a little bit forward slowly inches your guys forward. You actually have variable speed with your characters NOW!

It’s just that good. If you’ve been suffering any RSI then I WOULD STRONGLY recommend the controller route. You might just be surprised how good it actually is and wonder where the little marvel’s been all your life.

Anyways, like all things, your mileage will vary, but I think it was a great investment.Give it a try sometime if you get the chance.

Thanks
    Buzz

Proud member of the Forgotten Legion www.forgottenlegion.net
    Forgotten Tales! Slices of Life in and Around Stormreach...

I use a controler similar to a "PS2" controller, with a USb plug on it, and I can say it is much easier than mouse/leyboard.

I have mine set to do the following:

attack
    jump
    target nearest enemy
    push to talk
    block

and 2 full hotbars

Very useful, the only time I touch my mouse is to enter/recall to/from a quest and to get my end reward/shop.

Most of my long term buffs are either 1-0, C-' or NumPad 1-0.

I don't understand how folks can use the 20 hotbars and cover half their screen.
    Hi, I play Generic Fantasy RPG Online, formerly known as DDO.

Would be hard to use a caster or cleric with it though...

and how do you manage your inventory or get other stuff from hotbard that you cant put on the controller? Take a hand off and use yer mouse? Still sounds very interesting to try out...

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

The 360 Dpad is a pain though. I've lost track of the number of times I push "down" and i get Left left down left, or similar to the right. And it is due to crappy design. I think I finally figured out a hack fix though.

Also, by default, you will lose the left and right triggers (z axis) if you use the windows drivers (also the "chat pad" won't work in windows, probably never will as there are no drivers that I've found. Apparently the mic does work though, not sure as I haven't tried it.)
    You can get 3rd party drivers to try to get those triggers back though. Took me 3 hours to get it working because of very crappy version control that xbcd has.

Also, seemingly at random times the controller will STOP working with the 3rd party driver, so... user beware. Best fix so far was to unplug and replug.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post

and how do you manage your inventory or get other stuff from hotbard that you cant put on the controller? Take a hand off and use yer mouse? Still sounds very interesting to try out...
    For any mouse movement, other than the AH becuase of the crash bug I mentioned earlier, I hit the "start" button or go off of camera control and now the right stick controls the mouse. If I want to equip say my repair bracers, I move the mouse to the bracer icon on my hotbar and then then press "A" (Click\Select)

So there is little mouse interaction, well... minimal anyhow

I still have hotbars. Sometimes too many, but I had the same amount with the mouse as I have with the controller.

Thanks
    Buzz
    Last edited by BuzzSaw; 01-16-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Minds View Post
    The 360 Dpad is a pain though. I've lost track of the number of times I push "down" and i get Left left down left, or similar to the right. And it is due to crappy design. I think I finally figured out a hack fix though.

Also, by default, you will lose the left and right triggers (z axis) if you use the windows drivers (also the "chat pad" won't work in windows, probably never will as there are no drivers that I've found. Apparently the mic does work though, not sure as I haven't tried it.)
    You can get 3rd party drivers to try to get those triggers back though. Took me 3 hours to get it working because of very crappy version control that xbcd has.

Also, seemingly at random times the controller will STOP working with the 3rd party driver, so... user beware. Best fix so far was to unplug and replug.
    I am not sure what pad you are using, my controller has two sticks and a pad. I use left stick to move and right stick for mouse\camera. I use the hatswitch for equiping weapons and casting spells.

I am using the native windows drivers supplied with the unit and did not loose any of my triggers or anything, had that happened, I would have returned the unit I assure you.

As for the Mic, I have no idea what that's all about.

Thanks
    Buzz

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzSaw View Post
    I am not sure what pad you are using, my controller has two sticks and a pad. I use left stick to move and right stick for mouse\camera. I use the hatswitch for equiping weapons and casting spells.

I am using the native windows drivers supplied with the unit and did not loose any of my triggers or anything, had that happened, I would have returned the unit I assure you.

As for the Mic, I have no idea what that's all about.

Thanks
    Buzz
    The D pad, looks like it should be a cross symbol (Nintendo apparently patented it, so no other company could use the + directly.) In DDO given how slow weapon switching is, it is probably going to the last called weapon so you'd not realize the issue. The Xbox/Xbox 360 has no hat switch. I've only seen hat switches on joysticks and the like. It is that pad that gives me the most issue and annoyances. Granted I think I figured out a final hack I could do to fix this issue while thinking through this reply. So I have to say thank you for helping me get an idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-pad
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hat_switch

The windows drivers treat the tiggers as Z+ and Z- axis, not as a discrete button push. Which means pull both at once and you have a resultant Z axis of 0. This is a known issue if you look into it. Now, it may be that DDO natively supports the Xbox controller, in which case, they could have added in code to account for this and take them as separate inputs vs. 1 total z axis direction.
    Last edited by Missing Minds; 01-19-2009 at 12:10 PM.

I use a controller to play and have always done so....and most of my characters are casters and clerics....really for me the controller is for movement and camera angles....I hotbar my spells and use either the mouse or a key for them.

One joystick does movement, one does camera angle --attack, block,interact and select next target are the four buttons on the front ---the hat switch and the a b x y keys are for inventory, push to talk, select self, etc.....

I had never played computer games until DDO and I cant get the coordination down to move when I have to use the aswd keys---I have found that the controller makes my movement smoother and me less likely to fall off of stuff....though Im a cleric and Im gonna fall no matter what sometimes lol.

For me though, I play on a very nice laptop so the keyboard is close already...it might not work so well with a desktop set up.
    "Some things have to be believed to be seen." Ralph Hodgson

Ciarra Stormbringer Cleric/Sorceror
    Darianna Dawnbringer Wizard
    Riasha Dawnbringer Rogue/Fighter

Rhavynheart Stormbringer Cleric
    Kestryl Stormbringer Sorceror

I,ve been using a xbox360 gamepad to play for almost 3 years now. Had absolutly no problems with it.
    Its really enjoyable and smooth. Hardest part is deciding up front what you'll do with your buttons, and make sure you leave no option unbound. Here is the best configurations I,ve found.

I mostly use it in my left hand with the mouse in my right.
    The left stick controls my movements, back/forward and strafe.

I have the back button (Select on most gamepads) toggling between mouselook and free mouse. Its really important to have something close and rapid access for this.

I have my start button binded to toggle between targetables, objects npcs teamates etc. And I have my LT (left trigger) that cycles between enemies.

I have my little 4 arrow pad binded to my 4 most important toolbar slots.

I also of course the entire right side of my gamepad all binded and ready for when I dont wanna use my mouse.

And finnaly, and most important of all, I have the left stick (when you push down its key) as my modifier key. This is the most important key of all for it multiplies everything you can touch, gamepad keyboard and mouse. You really have to assign this to something your almost all touching. I can only recommend 3 buttons here, the left stick, left trigger or left block.

°Shima Ra °Roots °Zielle °Sisqi °Downpour

i just buy a xbox 360 wireless controller today and i plug it in and window auto install driver, then i go in ddo and go to key mapping.
    no matter what i press, it act as if i am not doing anything, is there more stuff i need to made it work?

ddo is only game i have for pc so i cant test it on other game

Default Helpful but...

This post was very helpful, and has seriously improved my enjoyment of DDO.

However, how do I get one of the sticks (preferably right stick) to function as the mouse key?

Community Member

I considered doing this for a while with my wired 360 controller. I used it for Fallout 3 and some other games, worked really well.

I think if you zoom in and play DDO in first-person mode, and map the controller as if it's an FPS, like Halo or Call of Duty, the controller could work really well. Again, probably more useful if you're a melee or ranged though. The sheer number of spells a caster needs makes a controller kinda tough to use.

Default Got it working

I discovered that there was a keymap section where I could map mouse movements, making the controller now complete. I just hit start (what I've set to be the toggle between mouse movement and mouse camera control) for perfect controller playability.

I play a monk, so obviously it works a lot better with a melee based class. Would be quite hard for a spellcaster I presume.

If I might make a suggestion to the devs: Create a default 360/ps3 controller keybind setup!

First, I'd just like to say that I'm glad more people have found my guide to be useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post
    I find playing my wizard with the gamepad to be incredibly easy, and notice that I tend to go cycle spells more quickly than almost every other caster I play with, and also have a very easy time with acrobatic-casting (jump, turn in air, cast, etc...).

I have 11 or so spells mapped to gamepad spots, and all of my buffs except for haste hang out on a few hotbars to click manually, which is fine, because they don't get cast while in combat usually. For different quests, I move spells onto and off of my gamepad slots as needed.

My normal spell suite on the gamepad is:
    Mass Hold Monster
    Finger of Death
    Wail of the Banshee
    Otto's Irressistible Dance
    Wall of Fire
    Polar Ray
    Meteor Swarm
    Prismatic Spray
    Web
    Haste
    Flesh to Stone
    Energy Drain
    Sometimes I do a keyboard/gamepad combo for this stuff, hitting I, C, or O or whatever, then using the gamepad, and sometimes I switch to mouse/keyboard for this (the scroll wheel and faster cursor speed are nice for these things). I also do that most of the time for buffing.

No reason to completely eschew use of the mouse and keyboard, but it's more comfortable to spend most of a session using the gamepad, and seems to be easier for stuff in-combat, as well as for general movement.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFacelessSteelMan View Post
    This post was very helpful, and has seriously improved my enjoyment of DDO.

However, how do I get one of the sticks (preferably right stick) to function as the mouse key?
    Sorry for that...I'll double check how I accomplished this one. I think that the gaempad (at least the one I use) labels the joysticks in the same way as the buttons, and plugged that into the mouse function area of the keymapping in DDO, but I might have done it with the pad's own software.

Anyway, I'll double-check in a bit, and post to this thread, and update my own to reflect what I find.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Under Mouse Emulation in the Key-mapping section of Options (down past Shortcuts) I have the following:
    Move Mouse Left: Z-Axis -
    Move Mouse Right: Z-Axis +
    Move Mouse Up: Z Rotation -
    Move Mouse Down: Z Rotation +

Pretty sure that to set this, you just click the appropriate button, then press the joystick in that direction. Then adjust the joystick dead zone bar at the top of the panel to tweak how much you need to move your stick in order to trigger cursor/character movement.

If this doesn't work, let me know, and I'll actually experiment a bit to discover how else to arrive at these settings properly.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

That is indeed what did it, with using the toggle mouse camera to switch between cursor and improved camera.

I feel my combat has improved significantly with this, since I can move by the character and the camera at the same time to get maximum positioning/jumping advantages. Brings back memories of goldeneye >

I enjoy it best with the camera zoomed all the way out, providing very similar gameplay to DA:O

Quote Originally Posted by TheFacelessSteelMan View Post
    That is indeed what did it, with using the toggle mouse camera to switch between cursor and improved camera.

I feel my combat has improved significantly with this, since I can move by the character and the camera at the same time to get maximum positioning/jumping advantages. Brings back memories of goldeneye >

I enjoy it best with the camera zoomed all the way out, providing very similar gameplay to DA:O
    So that worked? Good!

I'm mostly a console gamer, though I've been putting in many more hours here lately than on my game system (we'll see if that holds true after a get a 360 and CoD: MW II...), so this is more natural to me. Besides, my wrists always ache a bit after a long session of Starcraft...wonder if I could set that up to work with a controller also...

Oh, and I find it much easier to do aerial flips (jump+tumble) with a gamepad than without, even if one of my guildies can still show me up. I still say Chromy is using macros!!!

Smile What The...

What exactly is RSI?

Thanks for the post.

I see I am not alone in the pain endured while playing DDO. I think this is an important point you addressed here. I get serious shoulder, neck, a$$, back and knee pain from playing this game. Right now I think my right arm is going to literaly fall off from mouse use. The fingers on my left hand are numb and tingly and I've lost feeling on my upper right leg.

You laugh... but its true!!!

I need D&DA!!!

One thing I've done is to create a "Lap Board", which of course I put on my lap to put my mouse and keyboard on to relieve some of the stress put on my shoulder joints from using my mouse and keyboard on a desk. That help out tremendously. I did try a countroler a while back but my patients. Maybe I'll try again.

Anyway, Maybe we can post some other concerns on this issue and post some solutions for those as well. My a$$ will thank you.

lol

Quote: There is nothing worse than a Leaky Dingy
    Last edited by PatSox; 01-04-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post
    What exactly is RSI?

Thanks for the post.

I see I am not alone in the pain endured while playing DDO. I think this is an important point you addressed here. I get serious shoulder, neck, a$$, back and knee pain from playing this game. Right now I think my right arm is going to literaly fall off from mouse use. The fingers on my left hand are numb and tingly and I've lost feeling on my upper right leg.

You laugh... but its true!!!

I need D&DA!!!

One thing I've done is to create a "Lap Board", which of course I put on my lap to put my mouse and keyboard on to relieve some of the stress put on my shoulder joints from using my mouse and keyboard on a desk. That help out tremendously. I did try a countroler a while back but my patients. Maybe I'll try again.

Anyway, Maybe we can post some other concerns on this issue and post some solutions for those as well. My a$$ will thank you.

lol

Quote: There is nothing worse than a Leaky Dingy
    You need to STOP PLAYING NOW! And probably go see a doctor. That doesn't sound good.

In any case, using a gamepad should help avoid some of that, though I doubt it will be a remedy.

As for me, I sit/lie down on my bed, either propped up against the wall with pillows behind me, or recline on the pillows with the keyboard on my lap or on a chair in front of me. It's very comfortable for long game sessions. My friends are jealous.

I use a PS3 controller, which is basically just a normal USB gamepad. But I don't use the controller to do everything - just movement, basic attacks, object interaction, blocking and weapon switching. My set up looks like this:

Left stick: move forward/backward, strafe left/right
    Right stick: turn left/right, camera up/down
    D-pad: switch weapon sets
    Triangle: interact
    Circle: cancel (useful for getting out of menus fast)
    Square: basic attack
    X: jump

L1, R1, R2 buttons: special abilities (Smite Evil, Trip, Fists of Light, haste boost, etc, etc)
    L2: block (L2 + left stick = easy tumbling)
    Select: equipment panel
    Start: character sheet

Everything else I use the keyboard for. All of my hotbars are tied to the number pad, number keys, F1 keys or whatever other keys I like. I play with my controller hovering over the keyboard, so any hotkey I need to use is only a pink or index finger tap away. My WF wizard has no trouble at all accessing whatever spells, wands or items he needs and I think the combination of mouselook with the ease of movement the controller brings makes targeting spells a breeze. The only problem I'm having is my L2 button sticks, so sometimes I end up blocking for no reason at all.

I've also tried a 360 controller and the set up is exactly the same with no problems whatsoever. I honestly don't know how anyone can use a mouse and the WASD keys to move around. Maybe it is because I'm a lefty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast