Thread: DDO Storyline

Community Member

Default DDO Storyline

I'm just wondering: Is there a plot about DDO written somewhere? Anywhere actually: i remember once there was a great tent in the stormreach marketplace now there's a smoldering crater, and I'm wondering if i'll ever get to know the details... Sure something about devils or something or other... i've seen that mentioned in game, but why is ALL the story i've really heard so far just quests from NPCs: go to that warehouse/sewer/cave and kill/protect/pass through that, and any real information comes from load-screen tips...

To sum up my post: What the heck is going on around me?

Edit: I'm level 5 and I did pretty much every quest levels 1-3.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nocnashada View Post
    I'm just wondering: Is there a plot about DDO written somewhere? Anywhere actually: i remember once there was a great tent in the stormreach marketplace now there's a smoldering crater, and I'm wondering if i'll ever get to know the details... Sure something about devils or something or other... i've seen that mentioned in game, but why is ALL the story i've really heard so far just quests from NPCs: go to that warehouse/sewer/cave and kill/protect/pass through that, and any real information comes from load-screen tips...

The entire storyline is in the quest texts if you read them.... And there are several independant major story lines that occasionally intertwine.

The only exception is the marketplace tent, there is a thread on that around here somewhere but basically the short answer is the devils tried to invade, they were repelled during the live event and we are now fighting them in the tunnels under the old tent.

The big story lines don't however start until the VONS and Tempest Spine. You won't hit either of those until L8-10. Until then you are mostly just helping out this or that person in need, which is consistant with what a lowbie tends to do in D&D

Edit: Wait I lied... one of the major story lines starts lower, L5-6ish, that's the Necro series which is in the graveyard behind House P. I always forget it because I don't much like the early quests in that story line :P
    Last edited by Lorien the First One; 01-13-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

Quest texts?
    Where do you find these quest texts?
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

Oh I had such a sarcastic story all planned out for you but I just couldn't do it. No, there isn't one cohesive story that ties all the quests together. Stormreach is a big town with many people needing our help. Having said that, once you get higher level and start doing raids, the storylines become a bit more involved and some of them tie together. For example, In House Phiarlain (House P), you'll find the Necropolis. In there, there are 3 seperate quest chains (all at different levels) that all tie together, so you can do some at lvls 6-8, then again at 9-12, and again at 13-16 (or thereabouts). The current endgame storyline is a continuation of the Stormreaver storyline from Gianthold (came out around Mod 4) which was a continuation of the first raid introduced in the game, Tempest Spine.

So while there is no "one story" there are several stories goin on at once. some are short, some are longer and may conitinue in future mods. And you get to play in them all!
    Last edited by wamjratl1; 01-13-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    Maveriq Wiley... Benefaqtor... Spyqe... Masqot Von Chaedence...
    Ghallanda

Trade List

Quote Originally Posted by Beherit_Baphomar View Post
    Quest texts?
    Where do you find these quest texts?
    It's these things you are allowed to read when picking up the quests and turning them in for your vendor trash end rewards.

Living Proof Man can live on Coffee and Cigarettes

Actually the storyline for DDO starts even earlier than Lorien stats. It starts actually with the solo quests after Korthos Island (leaving out the storyline of Korthos re the white dragon, which makes an apearance in Reavers Refuge again).

The early levels i.e. around lvl 3 in the harbour quests starts teaching you about the houses and different factions around stormreach (think Millers Debt for Coin Lords, bringing the light for Silver Flame, and recover lost tome for the twelve, and the houses with the solo quests for house K and D and P (although P is now on Korthos).

But the main story starts with Waterworks (beloved argos and venn) which leads to STK (the wayfinders) from there the stories then branch out to some history of Stormreach again in delera's and Stormcleve Outpost, Tangleroot, Gylands stand, the Trolls of Grey Moon/Cult of the Six, then threnal, to when you get to what was the original end at launch of Tempest Spine.

Then branced stories of the mods come in, House K with the vault of night series, littany of the dead (which starts in the afore mentioned necropolis) which leads to the black abbot , the demon queen of the desert, twilight forge, then of course Gianthold with the reaver. From there the twelve which had been pretty much quiet (besides the original introduction in Recover the Lost Tome) repear with the the vale and their base Meridia.

Then after we all handled the shavarath invasion (one of the outter plains of Eberron) via the Shroud, the Devils struck back by trying to invade the city directly in the marketplace, culminating with the destruction of the marketplace tent and the new subteranian was found which we try to keep clean and stop and more invasions before they get a foothold again.

After (mod 8) The Reaver (of Gianthold) has a refuge out below the Siber Atoll, where he explains his story (turning from bad guy to good) and helps us now handle one of the true causes that try to destroy stormreach, the old Sorjek himself (from Tempest Spine) who has came back from the dead.

Next Mod, I belive is back to the devils and the Shavarath invasion that occured in the marketplace, where if you follow the old threads/interviews that we instead of having them come here, we are going to go there (to Shavarath) to exact revenge and get our marketplace tent back.

From there who knows where!

This I hope answers your question OP. Others who are more well versed in Eberron lore can either correct my mistakes, or add onto what I have put.

PS Beherit - The text is from the Quest Givers and NPC's around StormReach and within some of the quests/explorer areas themselves.
    Unguilded on Thelanis Pempernel, Melyanna, Greyiira, Valienor, Pempernal, Pempernil, Pempersensai, Pempnoir, Paw, Zilvira, Celebrimbor
    Proud Member of the Silver Legion - Cannith Aflac, Mabar, Pistachios, Pempernel, Melyanna, Kazoo

Community Member

Thanks to all posters: yes it clears things up a bit, and explains why i haven't really seen any of the story(except for the few errands that pop up for this guy or maybe for a major house here and there).I'll just keep on playing the game and hoping i haven't missed the important stuff by not playing the game from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Actually the storyline for DDO starts even earlier than Lorien stats. It starts actually with the solo quests after Korthos Island (leaving out the storyline of Korthos re the white dragon, which makes an apearance in Reavers Refuge again).

The early levels i.e. around lvl 3 in the harbour quests starts teaching you about the houses and different factions around stormreach (think Millers Debt for Coin Lords, bringing the light for Silver Flame, and recover lost tome for the twelve, and the houses with the solo quests for house K and D and P (although P is now on Korthos).

But the main story starts with Waterworks (beloved argos and venn) which leads to STK (the wayfinders) from there the stories then branch out to some history of Stormreach again in delera's and Stormcleve Outpost, Tangleroot, Gylands stand, the Trolls of Grey Moon/Cult of the Six, then threnal, to when you get to what was the original end at launch of Tempest Spine.

Then branced stories of the mods come in, House K with the vault of night series, littany of the dead (which starts in the afore mentioned necropolis) which leads to the black abbot , the demon queen of the desert, twilight forge, then of course Gianthold with the reaver. From there the twelve which had been pretty much quiet (besides the original introduction in Recover the Lost Tome) repear with the the vale and their base Meridia.

Then after we all handled the shavarath invasion (one of the outter plains of Eberron) via the Shroud, the Devils struck back by trying to invade the city directly in the marketplace, culminating with the destruction of the marketplace tent and the new subteranian was found which we try to keep clean and stop and more invasions before they get a foothold again.

After (mod 8) The Reaver (of Gianthold) has a refuge out below the Siber Atoll, where he explains his story (turning from bad guy to good) and helps us now handle one of the true causes that try to destroy stormreach, the old Sorjek himself (from Tempest Spine) who has came back from the dead.

Next Mod, I belive is back to the devils and the Shavarath invasion that occured in the marketplace, where if you follow the old threads/interviews that we instead of having them come here, we are going to go there (to Shavarath) to exact revenge and get our marketplace tent back.

From there who knows where!

This I hope answers your question OP. Others who are more well versed in Eberron lore can either correct my mistakes, or add onto what I have put.

PS Beherit - The text is from the Quest Givers and NPC's around StormReach and within some of the quests/explorer areas themselves.

Actually the various story lines continue. With Tempest spine leads to Von's, Von's story line continues with Gianthold, and Gianthold is continueing with Reaver. Then on another note the litany of the dead which concludes with the abbot leads to the attack of the devils upon the vale and the market place event, and will continue in mod 9 when we go to shavarath itself.

To the op, At the lower lvls there is not much in the way of broad story lines that incompass all of the quests. Some are independent of each other but continue with others. Some don't continue at all and are stand alone. At the higher lvls as has been pointed out by me and others there are currently 2 major story lines and I am pretty sure titan storyline and the desert storyline are completely independent of the others.

Milolyen

P.S. to the op ... there is atleast one video of what happened to the tent on youtube. Search DDO event and should get a few of them to pop up ... this was a live event they did last year.
    Last edited by Milolyen; 01-13-2009 at 04:22 PM.

I have the feeling that Jacoby Drexelhand is the puppet master behind ALL of this...
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Quote Originally Posted by nocnashada View Post

Easily explained this way:

Col. Mustard, in the Library, with a Lead Pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Milolyen View Post
    At the higher lvls as has been pointed out by me and others there are currently 2 major story lines and I am pretty sure titan storyline and the desert storyline are completely independent of the others.
    Baudry Cartman (which the OP has done by now) leads into Hidden in Plain Site, which leads to the Titan series.

I agree - the desert seems very free floating.. they need to tie it back to the event in Stormreach more than they have.. of course we're going to be visiting a lot Maraliths and the like in Mod 9.
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    The entire storyline is in the quest texts if you read them.... And there are several independant major story lines that occasionally intertwine.

The only exception is the marketplace tent, there is a thread on that around here somewhere but basically the short answer is the devils tried to invade, they were repelled during the live event and we are now fighting them in the tunnels under the old tent.

The big story lines don't however start until the VONS and Tempest Spine. You won't hit either of those until L8-10. Until then you are mostly just helping out this or that person in need, which is consistant with what a lowbie tends to do in D&D

Edit: Wait I lied... one of the major story lines starts lower, L5-6ish, that's the Necro series which is in the graveyard behind House P. I always forget it because I don't much like the early quests in that story line :P

Actually MOST of the quests tie together---Guard Jung's Badge (Bonebite Hideout) is tied to Waterworks--the harbormaster tries to send you to Guard Jung before you go to WW --the end of WW ties you to Seal of Shan-to-Kor(STK)....

at the end of part two of STK Hetmann Shagg talks about using the info to deal with Bergthrum, who is a giant you run into in Threnal.....see what I mean?

You have to actually read what the NPCs tell you..you'd be surprised how often there is a tie to another quest or NPC. Funny thing is Tempest Spine talks about the Stormreaver, then you meet him in Gianthold and again in Stealer of Souls...

Even Arritrekos from the Shroud mentions the Abbott and his failed quest for god hood at some point. The level 5-6 quests in the necropolis are part one of four of that entire line....ends with the Orchard of the Macabre and the Abbott raid (in general some of the most underrun quests in the game...but thats another story)
    "Some things have to be believed to be seen." Ralph Hodgson

Ciarra Stormbringer Cleric/Sorceror
    Darianna Dawnbringer Wizard
    Riasha Dawnbringer Rogue/Fighter

Rhavynheart Stormbringer Cleric
    Kestryl Stormbringer Sorceror

Quote Originally Posted by GorumT View Post
    Easily explained this way:

Col. Mustard, in the Library, with a Lead Pipe.

Rats!!! I Thought it was Mrs. White in the Kitchen with the revolver.

Community Member

I know for a fact there is a storyline somewhere on the internet. this game actually follow the game of DnD VERY well

I was told that from 2 drunks I met in a tavern pvping. they were drunk with a mic... haha they were funny

Quote Originally Posted by SirFox357 View Post
    I know for a fact there is a storyline somewhere on the internet. this game actually follow the game of DnD VERY well

I was told that from 2 drunks I met in a tavern pvping. they were drunk with a mic... haha they were funny
    Epic Necro!
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~
    Old school Tharashk player since '06

Why revive a thread 2.5 years old? Are you that bored?
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Community Member

I learned something today. Before I was just running around the game thinking that everything was unconnected.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by roryk27 View Post
    I learned something today. Before I was just running around the game thinking that everything was unconnected.
    Lots of it is connected, and even some of the main plot lines are connected as well. I would say there's four main story lines in DDO:

1. The giants and dragons' war against the Quori

This is the main storyline in DDO I guess. Lots of quests revolve around it, or at least touch it. The Korthos quests, Tempest Spine, Vault of Night (although indirectly, Giant Hold, Reavers Refuge and the Path of Inspiration (also indirectly).

All this hubbub was of course caused by the Quori invasion, and the giants and dragons attempt to stop it, and repercussions thereof (such as the Stormreaver versus The Truthful One). So other quest lines that touches this story line is the Path of Inspiration, the Dreaming Dark series, and the Restless Isles (Titan) along with some other miscellaneous quests.

Then we have

2. The war against Xoriat

Here's we find stuff ranging from WW - STK - Threnal to all the new Harbor and Twelve quests, and various adventures dealing with portals to Xoriat and closing them/preventing them to be opened (such as Xorian Cipher and Path to Madness).

3. The Abbot's Ascension

Here we deal with the goddess Vol and the Abbot who wants attain godhood. Necro quests, Orchard and the Abbot raid.

Which is connected to:

4. The war against Shavarath

Where the Abbot's machinations created an opportunity for the devils of Shavarath to try to make Shavarath and Eberron a quick commuting distance. In this line we find the Vale and the Shroud, the Phiarlan Carnival, Chronoscope and the Market raids Hound and VoD, and Amrath.

There's a lot of other minor story lines of course, such as the war between the hobgoblin tribes (Tangleroot, Tear etc), the Droaam invasion, fighting the disciples of The Six (Greymoon / Sorrowdusk) and so on.
    Various hedge-wizards and halfwits, please see MyDDO for all your squelching needs
    Lyrandar 2006 - Devourer 2007 - Thelanis 2009 - Ghallanda 2010