Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1505

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The problem is that, despite the DEX bonuses which rgrs & elves get, there are still way more STR buffs than DEX, inc. Ram's Might, Rage spell, Madstone Boots, Primal Scream, etc. which more than make up the difference. Also, unless I missed it, there's nothing to add DEX to ranged dmg in the AA or DWS trees; elves can take Grace, but drow don't get anything similar. Going DEX-based would let you add Combat Archery, which I've read was finally fixed; but if you can find a way to squeeze in CA and Overwhelming Crit, well, that's better still.

DEX builds are a lot more viable than they were pre-U19, IMHO, but their DPS will still be behind what a good STR build can achieve; and the pros (i.e., higher AC & Reflex saves) still don't really outweigh the cons.

Which is not to suggest I'm not lining up my DEX builds around the block, because I'm predictably stupid...
    In his case he doesn't have a choice regarding Drow. Good points regarding STR buffs & I hope they continue to increase the viability of non Strength based melee-DPS...

I am worse than you as my pet project right now is a Charisma based to-hit/damage and not only do they not get the above but they also miss out on Tensor's Tranformation (which at least Dex based toons can leverage)...

Thanks for all you do to help builds on the Forums and to give the pros/cons/options and personally I like flavor !

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The silver lining to the drow tree being so weak is it means more APs to spend on rgr PrEs. Yay?

You should also check out Ellis's revamped Tempest trapmonkey.

Ideally what I'd like to have on a mixed melee-ranged rgr now:
    • Melee: Power Atk, Imp Crit, Cleave/GC/Overwhelming Crit, Perfect TWF (ED feat), khop or b.sword if you wanna go w/them
    • Ranged: PBS, IC:Ranged, Combat Archery (if WAI), Doubleshot (ED feat)
    • Survivability: Toughness, Dodge, TWD (+Imp Parry), Quik+Emp Heal (for Rejuv Cocoon)

That's 15 or 16 feats. Unfortunately, even w/rgr PrE pre-req feats dropped, it's tough to pull that off on a pure or mostly-pure rgr; 7 heroic + 1 ftr or monk + 3 epic + 2 ED = 13 feats. Plus hitting STR 23 for OC and DEX 21 for CA will be tough on a first-lifer.

But both the best & worst thing about the Enhancement revamp is there's no single right answer. It's a matter of priorities and what aspects you want to focus on for your char / playstyle.

What's wrong with it? (Tempest Capstone)
    off-hand double-strike only procs when the main-hand double-strikes. That 25% off-hand would only give you 2.5% more off-hand attacks if you have a 10% main-hand DS.

This is a bug I believe, it's been bug-reported. Will it get fixed? I have no idea, but as of now this Capstone is NOT worth losing a feat and UMD that you get in the Exploiter splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    off-hand double-strike only procs when the main-hand double-strikes. That 25% off-hand would only give you 2.5% more off-hand attacks if you have a 10% main-hand DS.
    That...might actually be WAI, now that I think about it. Because otherwise your offhand doublestrikes would be way more frequent than your mainhand doublestrikes. And considering they didn't up the mainhand doublestrike, why would they want the offhand to be so high?

If so, that's way less exciting than I thought. Considering the Kensei capstone got beefed up, I wish it was more like +10% doublestrike / 50% offhand doublestrike from rgr 18 & 20.

Oh well, glad I found out before I leveled a pure Tempest to cap! Thx.

That...might actually be WAI . . .
    It's not. A guildie of mine asked Varg on Lamania and he stated this was not WAI.

It's bugged.

25% extra off-hand attacks is a tough choice over a feat and UMD. 2% is no choice, splash.
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 08-23-2013 at 03:47 PM.

It's not. A guildie of mine asked Varg on Lamania and he stated this was not WAI.
    Thank goodness my pessimism was wrong for a change!

Thank goodness my pessimism was wrong for a change!
    But it's not been fixed for 2 patches so who knows if it ever will. That AA Capstone is very nice though if you're into full time pew pew.

and BUMP for ironic reasons . . .

But it's not been fixed for 2 patches so who knows if it ever will. That AA Capstone is very nice though if you're into full time pew pew.

and BUMP for ironic reasons . . .
    Ahahaha, you mean the fully functioning AA capstone, amirite? XD
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    and a necro of a thread that's almost 6 years old
    I'm not a necro, only a noob without any other story under hand than old memories from fallen Heroes... In other words : after pondering over Monster Mark II, I'm looking for multi-class suggestions like this thread's build. However there aren't many out there that are "contemporary", factoring in the latest updates... Any suggestion? Or would this build still be relevant?
    Last edited by HawkFest; 03-03-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by HawkFest View Post
    Or would this build still be relevant?
    Nope. The monk level for AC is just a really horrible idea in the current game. There's a reason this build thread died

Ranger 18/Rogue 1/Fighter 1 is a better choice and kinda plays like the old exploiter used to, if you really want to be a trapper. With the Fixed tempest capstone pure 20 is also better.

Community Member

I'm not a necro, only a noob without any other story under hand than old memories from fallen Heroes... In other words : after pondering over Monster Mark II, I'm looking for multi-class suggestions like this thread's build. However there aren't many out there that are "contemporary", factoring in the latest updates... Any suggestion? Or would this build still be relevant?
    First of all:
    Who let the dogs out (woof, woof, woof, woof)

This is probably the worst popular build in history, for obvious reasons.

J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h

Quote Originally Posted by LavidDynch View Post

While the Exploiter was over-rated, Solar Phoenix was the worst popular build.

That's actually a good topic for another thread.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-Boy View Post
    While the Exploiter was over-rated, Solar Phoenix was the worst popular build.

That's actually a good topic for another thread.
    I think the exploiter is still a head with its sacrifice to self-heal and DPS for +2 AC, the write up and discussion around the build has its merits.

It definatly would be a great topic for another thread.

J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h

Ranger 18/Rogue 1/Fighter 1 is a better choice and kinda plays like the old exploiter used to, if you really want to be a trapper. With the Fixed tempest capstone pure 20 is also better.
    Thanks! What type of multi-class char would allow for the most DPS and be able to unlock/disable traps (pure or multi-class)?

First of all:
    This is probably the most useless reply I've read in a while, for obvious reasons ;-)...
    What would be interesting is if you'd developed your "obvious reasons" : I'm not a DDO veteran (even though I got "veteran" status on Cannith), but a newbie looking for a char with decent DPS that can open locks and disable devices/traps, maybe with UMD I don't know yet (only 1-2 Rogue splashes? Is Ranger still a good choice? ...?).
    EDIT: the "obvious reason" is that the tempest capstone had a bug If I understand Monkey-Boy. Noted.

I'm also currently trying some battle cleric on Khyber. Yes, I've read that Clerics are tough to multi-class, but still I'm testing this, for an eventual build on Cannith if I feel it would be good for group raids and quests (maybe after a TR from a pure Paladin that I have in Cannith at lvl21?) : Rogue-2/Fighter-1/Cleric-17 (currently at lvl 4: 2/1/1), starting stats are: str15, dex8, con 15, int10, wis16, cha10. Does it have a future? But I guess it would be better to start a new thread for that one...
    Last edited by HawkFest; 03-03-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks! What type of multi-class char would allow for the most DPS and be able to unlock/disable traps (pure or multi-class)?
    Probably some kind of SWFing bard.

Ranger used to make decent trappers since they'd get a decent amount of skill points and could keep up cross-class skills with one 1 level of rogue. bards also have enough skill points to do the same and are a stronger class than ranger right now.

Pure rogue is strong and getting a pass soon, though I haven't looked at the details of those changes.

Probably best to start another thread asking this as I would not be shocked if this thread is necro-locked.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

This is probably the most useless reply I've read in a while, for obvious reasons ;-)...
    What would be interesting is if you'd developed your "obvious reasons" : I'm not a DDO veteran (even though I got "veteran" status on Cannith), but a newbie looking for a char with decent DPS that can open locks and disable devices/traps, maybe with UMD I don't know yet (only 1-2 Rogue splashes? Is Ranger still a good choice? ...?).
    EDIT: the obvious reason is that the capstone had a bug If I understand Monkey-Boy. Noted.
    You will likely get more responses if you create a new thread with your request for build suggestions. Tagging it on the end of an older thread means it will probably go unnoticed for the most part (other than by people with unresolved resentment against and/or nostalgia for the topic of that old thread)

As a quick response, trapping as a build options is fairly straightforward. You start with your first level in with Rogue or Artificer, and then make sure that you have enough skill points from your other class levels to maintain the trapping skills. Ranger is good for the number of points it gets, and because 2 of the 3 trap skills are also Ranger skills, but it's not the only option. Human is a good racial selection for the extra skill point per level it gets.

There have been a few threads touching on this in the last few months and you might be able to find them by doing a search for trapper/trapping/trap skills. Or, just create your own thread.

EDITED: However, it's worth noting that keeping the skills up is only one part of being effective with traps. You will also have to get good trap gear, and keep upgrading it fairly regularly.

A few suggestions of threads to browse:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ncerning-traps

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...end-game-traps

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...k-traper-build
    Last edited by Mercureal; 03-03-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Probably best to start another thread asking this as I would not be shocked if this thread is necro-locked.
    I'l try with a bard then. Indeed, they should "necro-lock" those threads that aren't valid anymore given all the updates, so that people wouldn't have to deal with necro hunters... New players don't know how to filter these out when searching for information (even vets for specific functionalities), especially when only old pages are shown in the results.
    Last edited by HawkFest; 03-03-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo

I think the exploiter is still a head with its sacrifice to self-heal and DPS for +2 AC, the write up and discussion around the build has its merits.

It definatly would be a great topic for another thread.
    In its day +2 AC was as good if not better then +10% Dodge and Dodge Cap would be today, and if you had a bad healer you were dealing better DPS then the dead (or circle while chugging pots) Monster.

This build had its day it just stayed popular too long after the U5 TWF nerf.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    In its day +2 AC was as good if not better then +10% Dodge and Dodge Cap would be today, and if you had a bad healer you were dealing better DPS then the dead (or circle while chugging pots) Monster.

This build had its day it just stayed popular too long after the U5 TWF nerf.
    That is exactly the point on why this build was so overrated--- this build still needed a healer, the other enhanced version of the exact same split, was fully self-sufficient while dishing out more DPS.

J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h

That is exactly the point on why this build was so overrated--- this build still needed a healer, the other enhanced version of the exact same split, was fully self-sufficient while dishing out more DPS.
    If your saying that Maximize and Quicken are better feat for this build then Combat Expertise and OTWF I agree with that, I don't really consider that a different build just a variant.

Also heal scrolls and even un-metaed cure spells could do a lot for this version to not need a healer.

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576 LastLast