Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1505
    Community Member

I logged into my Exploiter a couple days ago, having shelved him for a bit while TRing a PM, and his AC seemed pretty low. I use Icy Raiments and perhaps I am wrong but my AC seemed much lower than pre-update. Also the % at level was something like 25% which seemed a bit lower than I would have expected.

Something tells me that apart from just the ED there may be some changes to the build or at least some gear changes. Is the Monk splash now helpful or do we limit AC by having to wear cloth? Or maybe I'm missing the importance and power of dodge. Truthfully I haven't played much while TRing the PM to get a feel.

My exploiter is due for a TR so perhaps need to get that out of the way as well after juicing up some ED.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbIe View Post
    I logged into my Exploiter a couple days ago, having shelved him for a bit while TRing a PM, and his AC seemed pretty low. I use Icy Raiments and perhaps I am wrong but my AC seemed much lower than pre-update. Also the % at level was something like 25% which seemed a bit lower than I would have expected.

Something tells me that apart from just the ED there may be some changes to the build or at least some gear changes. Is the Monk splash now helpful or do we limit AC by having to wear cloth? Or maybe I'm missing the importance and power of dodge. Truthfully I haven't played much while TRing the PM to get a feel.

My exploiter is due for a TR so perhaps need to get that out of the way as well after juicing up some ED.
    Some of the AC bonuses were changed to a dodge % bonus, granting an additional damage avoidance measure, which is shown in your AC breakdown as well. See also here.

The overall AC is lower, but the overall survivability is higher, in particular in areas where an old AC of 70 wasn't enough.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Community Member

Shirardis absolutely sucks for a tempest. it is pure ****. Glad I got it over with running easy content to grind out it's 5 terrible levels. Only good thing that can come from it is twisting in 'In the Weeds' but it's a tier 4 so it's pretty much not feasible.

Doing dread right now on the way to Shadow Dancer which should work well.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Community Member

I knew about the dodge bonus and where it is located. I guess I just didn't know how it applied in a practical matter. Meaning the Devs intended to do X but the result was Y and as a result the build would change.

So given this then is the focus shift for an exploiter to dodge? Should AC be abandoned altogether and dodge be focused on? So should we be looking at uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge over Combat Expertise (or Maximize as some people use for healing I think). Perhaps a weapon shift from Kopesh to wraps as Wax uses in his build to make room for the improved uncanny?

Or is AC, though now lower, still useful and worth having some investment in?

Community Member

Or is AC, though now lower, still useful and worth having some investment in?
    Yes. Though the monk level is really debatable with the new light armors available.
    Last edited by Ape_Man; 07-03-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    The overall AC is lower, but the overall survivability is higher, in particular in areas where an old AC of 70 wasn't enough.
    The overall survivability in SOME content (such as epic content) is higher. (Why? Because AC never worked there, and now it gives you some help.) In other content (such as level 1-20 content, including 1-20 raid content), the overall survivability is *massively* lower.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    An AC of 70 on an Exploiter has always been pretty pathetic. In the past, a competent Exploiter would self-buff to 80+ AC. That was nice. The gimpy Exploiter who could only self-buff to 70 AC (which wasn't good enough for a lot of content) just got a huge boost, since their gimpy AC now does something for them. Is it worth building a 70 AC gimp-Exploiter now? No. The build has been killed by the DEVs (the killing of the build is part of their long tradition of nerfing TWF'ing Rangers into the ground).

Community Member

Any suggestions on changes then to the build Faent to adapt or is it sunk? I was a couple weeks away from TRing it into the same build. Would Wax's build now be a better option? Would "better" still even be a good build? I haven't played the content much on a melee. I've really just been focused on my PM TR.

The epic AC change was the last straw for rangers for me, I dont have time to TR them now but mine went from excellent Ac to garbage. Its now becoming a monk. Seriously disappointing.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

Community Member

Any suggestions on changes then to the build Faent to adapt or is it sunk?
    IMO, it's sunk, unless you like flavor builds. The solution is to reroll as a dark monk. (No doubt this is part of Turbine's strategy to sell the monk class.)

Community Member

Bummer. I really enjoyed playing this build. Perhaps another time it will resurrect. I guess if the move is to Dark Monk then I'll follow suit. Wasted some gear I guess, but I can rebuild.

Got a good Dark monk build? I've made a Rockin Robin build that I enjoyed, but am up for suggestions.

As an aside I have a Big Rock Candy Mountain Tank build that I am about to TR. My PM is my first attempt at TRing so I'm new and any advice would be appreciated. So I have a fighter tank that uses kopeshes (was going to switch to BS), my exploiter and a dark monk ready to TR. Apart from the exploiter I haven't invested a lot of time into my gear for them yet. How should I TR them? I'd like to end up with one evasion tank (possibly HE with rogue splash and monk dili for heal amp), one dark Monk and the 3rd no idea what I should do with them.

Would it make more sense to TR my fighter to my monk, my monk to my fighter and shelve my exploiter until perhaps the next round of changes? Or maybe go arcane archer or Arti with them?

Any thoughts?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faent View Post
    An AC of 70 on an Exploiter has always been pretty pathetic. In the past, a competent Exploiter would self-buff to 80+ AC. That was nice. The gimpy Exploiter who could only self-buff to 70 AC (which wasn't good enough for a lot of content) just got a huge boost, since their gimpy AC now does something for them. Is it worth building a 70 AC gimp-Exploiter now? No. The build has been killed by the DEVs (the killing of the build is part of their long tradition of nerfing TWF'ing Rangers into the ground).
    Reminds me how much this game has changed when you can call a character "gimp" because it only has 70-80 ac ;p

Community Member

The build has been killed by the DEVs (the killing of the build is part of their long tradition of nerfing TWF'ing Rangers into the ground).
    My ranger is hitting 2000 Fury driven khopesh crits. Not completely nerfed.

A Haste Boosted IV Unbridled Fury moment is something to look forward too.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

is this build still valid with all the changes lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair View Post
    Remember, you will all have bragging rights forever as not only the first live guild to beat the titan, but the only live guild to beat the unnerfed Titan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    There's a saying, "The impossible is what nobody can do until somebody does." People will remember your accomplishment the next time they run into something that's "impossible".

Congratulations!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vendra View Post
    is this build still valid with all the changes lately?
    Yes.

Community Member

The overall survivability in SOME content (such as epic content) is higher. (Why? Because AC never worked there, and now it gives you some help.) In other content (such as level 1-20 content, including 1-20 raid content), the overall survivability is *massively* lower.
    Sigh . . .

Double sigh . . .

Quote Originally Posted by noinfo View Post
    The epic AC change was the last straw for rangers for me, I dont have time to TR them now but mine went from excellent Ac to garbage. Its now becoming a monk. Seriously disappointing.
    Even more sigh . . .

Please can the hyperbole and d000m as it's all nonsense.

I'm still able to solo Sins of Attrition on elite on my Exploiter and it actually got easier with quicken on the level 21 feat. I was level 23 at the time (have 25 banked, staying at 23 to farm easy XP for more ED stuff) and a level 2 Grandmaster of flowers so I was effectively getting NOTHING from the ED.

At a 65 AC (used to be able to get to 80 self-buffed before U12) with 10% incorporeal, 20% blur, and a 16% dodge you get missed enough that you can keep yourself alive with heal scrolls if your careful or quickend CSW if you're not. With the changes to scaling and PRR when they do hit it's about as hard as they used to graze you for. Pop off some displacement scrolls/clickies and you can be completely reckless.

And the defense works pretty darned well in Epic Hard quests (though it's debatable as to if it's even needed). Epic Elite . . . probably not through I suspect you can get there with the right twists. I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by emptysands View Post
    My ranger is hitting 2000 Fury driven khopesh crits. Not completely nerfed.

A Haste Boosted IV Unbridled Fury moment is something to look forward too.
    FoTW is probably the way to go for DPS. I have both FoTW and LD ranked up to level 5 and though LD is nice FoTW is better. I just can't see you ever getting a Master's Blitz on a Ranger as tactics isn't it's schtick but the FoTW epic moment charges up fast on a tempest III. Twisting in the extra actions boost from LD is wins though.

I haven't gotten to Shadow Dancer yet but I expect that to be wonderful as well. GMoF . . . makes me glad there's a bunch of easy XP grind to get it done and over with

Default Epic Feats

What feats make sense to add to this build at 21/24. Some ideas:

Weapon Focus + Power Critical
    Point Blank Shot
    Tactical feats?
    Precision (does the fort bypass work?)
    Quick Draw

Unfortunately, none of the really cool epic only feats are unlocked on this build.
    Last edited by etelan; 07-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Community Member

Default Quic

Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    Sigh . . Double sigh . . . Even more sigh . . . Please can the hyperbole and d000m as it's all nonsense.
    No, it's not nonsense.

I'm still able to solo Sins of Attrition on elite on my Exploiter and it actually got easier with quicken on the level 21 feat. I was level 23 at the time (have 25 banked, staying at 23 to farm easy XP for more ED stuff) and a level 2 Grandmaster of flowers so I was effectively getting NOTHING from the ED.
    I'm sure that my Exploiter can still solo Sins Elite at level 20. (It already basically required Displacement clickies or scrolls, post vorpal nerf, unless you were moving very slowly.) I'm also sure that you can solo it better than you can at 20 when you level past 20 and take more feats. You mentioned Quicken.

At a 65 AC (used to be able to get to 80 self-buffed before U12) with 10% incorporeal, 20% blur, and a 16% dodge you get missed enough that you can keep yourself alive with heal scrolls if your careful or quickend CSW if you're not.
    If you're using Combat Expertise, your cooldown is now disgusting. I wouldn't use Combat Expertise anymore, however, since the benefit is utter crapola now and the penalty is massive. I suppose my Exploiter's conc-opp gear will now come in handy and help to offset the extra SP costs of Quicken and/or Maximize. (He currently has Maximize). Superior Ardor IV pots were nerfed too. It's not like Rangers have the SP to constantly cast Quickened and Maximized CSW. And a mere Quickened CSW is gimpy unless you boost your healing amp.

And the defense works pretty darned well in Epic Hard quests (though it's debatable as to if it's even needed). Epic Elite . . . probably not through I suspect you can get there with the right twists. I'll let you know in a few weeks.
    Epic Hard is currently a joke.

Finally, I see no good reason (aside from a flavor preference) to invest in a now gimped build. Pretty much everything the Exploiter did well can be done far better by another build now. Why waste your time trying to twink out your nerfed Exploiter? It will always be beyond supbar now, compared to something else you could build. Are you just personally attached to it?

No, it's not nonsense.

I'm sure that my Exploiter can still solo Sins Elite at level 20. (It already basically required Displacement clickies or scrolls, post vorpal nerf, unless you were moving very slowly.) I'm also sure that you can solo it better than you can at 20 when you level past 20 and take more feats. You mentioned Quicken.

If you're using Combat Expertise, your cooldown is now disgusting. I wouldn't use Combat Expertise anymore, however, since the benefit is utter crapola now and the penalty is massive. I suppose my Exploiter's conc-opp gear will now come in handy and help to offset the extra SP costs of Quicken and/or Maximize. (He currently has Maximize). Superior Ardor IV pots were nerfed too. It's not like Rangers have the SP to constantly cast Quickened and Maximized CSW. And a mere Quickened CSW is gimpy unless you boost your healing amp.

Epic Hard is currently a joke.

Finally, I see no good reason (aside from a flavor preference) to invest in a now gimped build. Pretty much everything the Exploiter did well can be done far better by another build now. Why waste your time trying to twink out your nerfed Exploiter? It will always be beyond supbar now, compared to something else you could build. Are you just personally attached to it?
    I have to agree with Ape here. The Exploiter is still alive and well in U14. No need for doom and gloom posts - it soloes just fine, and will solo even better with the enhancement update just around the corner (where it sounds as though Tempest III will finally pay off - and perhaps even encourage us to stay pure).

Regarding self-heals = with just Ranger Devotion II and Maximise, my Ranger can self-heal for 110-140ish. With a quick swap out for a healing lore / +devotion thaum staff, he's pulling 250+ crits on himself pretty regularly. So yeah, your SP bar isn't unlimited, but self-heals are still just as good as ever if you devote a few items to it.

Regarding Combat Expertise = you have looked at some of the ED benefits, right? Legendary Dread alone offers +20 PRR in CE, which combines very nicely with Tempest III (+10 PRR), as well as TWD (+5 PRR) should you go that route. This can be further boosted by +10 with the Planar conflux 2-item set (raid weapon + trinket item) from U14.
    And PRR can be further boosted as well, depending on which ED route you want to go.

Combined with Blur, Displacement, and your Dodge (which is a bare 7% minimum with Tempest requirements - but is most likely in the low teens with gear), you're pretty survivable.

The Exploiter was built to be survivable, reasonable dps, and self-sufficient (with Rogue skills + UMD). I'd say it still achieves that goal.
    I'd probably be more inclined to dump Monk for Fighter (/1 Rogue, /1 Fighter) and stick with light armour, but otherwise I can't really harp on this build too much as it's stood the test of time pretty well.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aerendil View Post
    Regarding Combat Expertise = you have looked at some of the ED benefits, right? Legendary Dread alone offers +20 PRR in CE, which combines very nicely with Tempest III (+10 PRR), as well as TWD (+5 PRR) should you go that route.
    Your spell cooldowns with Combat Expertise active are now three times as long. If you're using Combat Expertise, you can cast 1/3 of the CSW's that you could cast if you weren't using it. So you're stuck scroll-healing yourself, which means you're stuck giving up DPS (and you're running around like a chicken with it's head cut off hoping you make your Concentration checks). And your DPS was already subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerendil View Post
    Combined with Blur, Displacement, and your Dodge (which is a bare 7% minimum with Tempest requirements - but is most likely in the low teens with gear), you're pretty survivable.
    Against trash? Your survivability is so-so. It's lower than it was before. And most bosses have True Seeing. So you lost there too. And you're already a hit-point gimp. And again, let's remember that your DPS is subpar. Basically, you're a gimp.

Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast