Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Barbarian: Frenzied Berserker Preview

Here's the brutal killer of... well... just about everything (including itself), the damage dealing class that just doesn't know when to stop, the Frenzied Berserker!

A few changes are being made that are important to know about before looking at the Frenzied Berserker:
    • The Vicious weapon enchantment now deals 2d6 damage to opponents struck by the weapon and 1d3 damage back to the wielder instead of 1d6.
    • Barbarian Critical Rage I and II can no longer be trained. Characters that currently possess these enhancements will retain them until they reset their enhancements, and these enhancements count as their "Barbarian specialty".
    • Barbarian Intimidating Rage has had its prerequisites changed to "either Barbarian Intimidate 4 or Barbarian Frenzied Berserker 2".

Now, on to the Prestige Enhancement iself:

Barbarian Frenzied Berserker I
    Prereqs: Level 6 Barbarian, Power Attack, Cleave, Barbarian Damage Boost II, Barbarian Power Attack I, Barbarian Power Rage I.
    Cost: 4 AP
    Benefit: You gain the effects of the diehard feat while raging, and your glancing blows have a chance of applying magical weapon effects. You also gain the ability to expend 10 hit points to enter a frenzy, which increases your strength by 2 and adds the 'Vicious' property to your melee weapons.

An interesting Berserker that came up in playtest was a Ranger/Barbarian archer that used the Frenzy abilities with a bow, gaining the benefits of the increased strength, ignoring the Vicious aspect that only affects melee weapons.

Barbarian Frenzied Berserker II
    Prereqs: Level 12 Barbarian, Barbarian Frenzied Berserker 1, Barbarian Damage Boost III, Barbarian Power Attack II, Barbarian Power Rage II.
    Cost: 2 AP
    Benefit: While raging, increases the critical multiplier of all weapons you use by 1 when you roll a natural 19 or 20. Your two handed weapon glancing blows have an increased chance of applying magical weapon effects. You also gain the ability to expend 10 hp to Supreme Cleave.

Supreme Cleave:
    Benefit: Expend 10 hit points to attack all nearby enemies.

Supreme Cleave has no cooldown other than a standard 1 second global cooldown for attack actions. As long as you've got the hit points, you can continue to bring the pain.

Barbarian Frenzied Berserker III
    Prereqs: Level 18 Barbarian, Barbarian Frenzied Berserker 2, Barbarian Damage Boost IV, Barbarian Power Attack III, Barbarian Power Rage III.
    Cost: 2 AP
    Benefit: While raging, increases the critical multiplier of all weapons you use by an additional 1 when you roll a natural 19 or 20, bringing the total bonus to 2. Your two handed weapon glancing blows have an increased chance of applying magical weapon effects. You also gain the ability to expend 20 hit points to enter a death frenzy (which can stack with your basic rage and frenzy), increasing your strength by 4 and adding the 'Greater Vicious' property to your melee weapons. (+4d6 damage / +1d3 damage to self)

The Frenzied Berserker focuses on dealing tremendous amounts of damage to its enemies, punctuated with absolutely devastating criticals. Whether dual wielding heavy picks with a x6 critical multiplier, or using a two handed weapon that's producing magical weapon effects on glancing blows backed by their incredible strength, they dish out the damage (to their enemies, and if they choose, to themselves).

The Berserker can stack both of their Frenzy abilities to increase their strength by 6 and add an additional 6d6 damage to each of their swings at the cost of 2d3 damage reflected back upon them, or become a whirlwind of destruction using Supreme Cleave at will, as long as a friendly healer is willing to keep them going.

Edit: Minor clarification to FB3 - the critical multiplier increases stack.
    Edit 2: Added the "when you roll a natural 19 or 20" section, which dramatically affects those DPS charts later on in this thread.
    Last edited by Tolero; 05-29-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

/cure critical consonants

Live! Live! You want to live!!

There will be changes made to this enhancement line before it goes live, but this is the preview.

Sweet
    Proud Officer and Member of the Exploration Society Thelanis Server
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle
    *Dunkurk Qirva Donnar Zoraida Dolvar Zorg Salii Smally Kungfugee Kruknud Smully Warfrog*

Can we discuss the propesed changes? (ie, will you hint at what is changing?)
    [Founder/Leader of the Bloodlords of Argonnesen]
    [DaveyKhealerAcapellaBaphometGodithGearey Gygax]

Default clerical nightmare

but it sounds pretty cool

Back off barb junky!

Now give us the vowels for the deepwood sniper changes/additions and other important stuff, like how to hang out with your friends and not make your girlfriend mad, or why my washing machine always makes a fold right down the center of my button up shirts button line that makes it nearly impossible to button them and won't iron out no matter how hard i try.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!
    Aeneas - Boosterseat - Eulogy - Diminutive - Moths

Default Savage Death

I wants one!
    Drink Old Sully's, after a couple pints even Orcs look good!
    Proud member of The order of the Silver Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett View Post
    /signed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelia View Post
    How does every thread on the Argo forums become about Blah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhykke View Post
    My question is how are there threads on other servers and in general forums not about Blah?

Ouch, thats gonna leave a mark. :-)
    Some toons with Cow in the name, and some without.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Benefit: You gain the effects of the diehard feat while raging, and your glancing blows have a chance of applying magical weapon effects. You also gain the ability to expend 10 hit points to enter a frenzy, which increases your strength by 2 and adds the 'Vicious' property to your melee weapons.

An interesting Berserker that came up in playtest was a Ranger/Barbarian archer that used the Frenzy abilities with a bow, gaining the benefits of the increased strength, ignoring the Vicious aspect that only affects melee weapons.
    So can one still apply vicious to bows using FBor are you just teasing us by saying it came up and was eliminated?
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

So Since ya posted this before 5:00 doe sthat mean we decoded enough to get a Bonus preview this week?

WOuld LOVE to see some bard stuff muself since I'm currently leveling my new Warchanter...
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Turial View Post
    So can one still apply vicious to bows using FBor are you just teasing us by saying it came up and was eliminated?
    The way I read it is a bow using barb/ranger got the benefit of the increased strength but not the vicious part. Vicious wasn't being applied to bows at all (which is how it's supposed to work)

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    So Since ya posted this before 5:00 doe sthat mean we decoded enough to get a Bonus preview this week?

WOuld LOVE to see some bard stuff muself since I'm currently leveling my new Warchanter...
    I have to admit that I completely underestimated everyone's desire and ability to solve this puzzle, and I'm very impressed. I honestly expected people to not even try. Kudos to all of you that worked on this, I think you've gotten enough of it to be given an extra preview this week.
    Answered
    [Founder/Leader of the Bloodlords of Argonnesen]
    [DaveyKhealerAcapellaBaphometGodithGearey Gygax]

/signed
    GROAN-1 (Melee/Casting Horc FVS)

yes, please

Community Member

lol

I told you guys the devs don't play this game.

That has to be the absolute worst way possible to gain +1 damage. Ever. And I bet it comes in really handy... the mob will be at 74% health instead of 75% when it reaches you!
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Quote Originally Posted by Dungnmaster001 View Post
    The way I read it is a bow using barb/ranger got the benefit of the increased strength but not the vicious part. Vicious wasn't being applied to bows at all (which is how it's supposed to work)
    I would hope a bow using barb ranger would be able to benafit from the str, thats what bow str allows you to do. Infact if a barb with bow str wasnt able to apply the +2 (+6 with full spec) str from frenzy it would be a odd bug.

Currently an additional +2 (+6) str it isn't all that interesting because +1 (+3) damage is nothing special really, why would you even mention that because we all expect that to happen, but being apply vicious to bows able to add 2d6 damage and avoiding 1d3 damage back to you would be very interesting and worth pointing out.

The Melee only tag though is confusing because it would indicate the first example, which everyone expected to happen, vs the 2nd which would be worth pointing out.
    Last edited by Turial; 12-09-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

Community Member

Just one quick question so we can get a confirm or deny. Barb frenzy 2 and 3 crit multipliers. Stack for +2 or not stack?
    Official reply please, there are many assumptions one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    lol

I told you guys the devs don't play this game.

That has to be the absolute worst way possible to gain +1 damage. Ever. And I bet it comes in really handy... the mob will be at 74% health instead of 75% when it reaches you!
    Huh? WOuldnt an 18barb/2 Ranger be able to see +6 STR from teh Rage (In addition to all the regular rage buffs), 6d6 Vicious Damage, AND bump their Crit Multiplier up to X5?????

THat seems like a LOT more than +1 damage to me.....
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast