Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EightyFour View Post
    I think heighten is the winner here, level 1 spell cast as a level 9 for only 2 sp, that's pretty good.
    no. every spell level costs 5 sps more than the next lower level spell. when you heighten, you raise the level and you raise the sp cost by 5/level. this reduces it to 4/level.

definately glad I have 2 pure wizards now, but this one affect the one rogue/wiz build I plan on working on either. Im just glad I have something to shoot Kalari towards now to. Thanks
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzly Bear View Post
    no. every spell level costs 5 sps more than the next lower level spell. when you heighten, you raise the level and you raise the sp cost by 5/level. this reduces it to 4/level.
    plus the enhancements brings it to 2/level.
    Ghallanda: Neatoelf15wiz/1rgr, Neetoelf17wiz, NeatoManhuman13rog/6pal/1mnk, NeatoHombrehuman12ftr/6pal/2rog, Kneetoedwarf17clr, Kneedoughdrow18clr/2mnk

Minimize expectations and you'll never be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by krud View Post
    plus the enhancements brings it to 2/level.
    if you have them, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian Navarro View Post
    The +2 INT is nice but what does that really get you? +1 DC, +1 to INT Skills, about +34 Spell Points.
    For 2 APs, that's a very good deal considering what the regular stat lines cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    It may be a good time to think about allowing a class to have multiple capstone enhancements at level 20, although a character could only train one at a time.

That way clerics could choose either the current capstone to prevent some deaths, or be allowed an alternate offensive casting capstone.

Here's a sample alt capstone:
    Divine Certainty: You gain +2 wisdom, and if all targets of an instant duration spell pass their save then 50% of the spellpoints are refunded to you.

they already stated this is the case

For my pure wizard, this is great. It in no way makes me regret my Wiz/Rogue (currently 14/2) who is a different type of character all together.

Nice for a pure play, but does not disgourge the split class.

muffinwizzer
    Now Diving in Lava, with the Lava Divers.

AKA, Cb,Cg,Cj,Cl,Co,Cp,Cq,Cr,Cs,Ct,Cw,Cx,Cz and...Edvard. All the other C's were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    <begins casting Spell of Mastery>

Edit: That's a joke, by the way - a tribute to Graal.
    Master of Magic. Classic game.
    Nice reference, El

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    Thats wrong.

Assuming you have a 30pt resist up, a 150pt pro up, and fireshield:

First example is a weakling 132pt fireball.
    First the game checks to see if you have more pro than resist. If yes, the pro absorbs as much as possible. Resist and shield do not apply as there is no damage left.

That leaves you with 18pts of pro, a 30pt resist, and fireshield.

Second firball hits your face for 129pts. The game checks to see if your pro is higher than your resist. It is not. Therfore the damage is reduced by 30 from your resist and the 18pts of pro are also stripped. Damage is only reduced by 30 though. Next the game sees 99pts of fire incoming, so it is reduced by coldshield, firestorm greaves, and whatever absorption items apply. Not sure in what order, or if they even stack though.

Second example, a 300pt fireball.

It strips 150pts of your protection, completely ignores your resist (as 30 is less than 150), and is then reduced to 75 from your cold shield.
    On a side note, I understand that this is HOW this functions, but is it how it SHOULD function? Shouldn't resist be applied before protection all the time, and shouldn't protection be left intact if resist negates all the incoming damage anyway?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian Navarro View Post
    I'm not impressed.

The +2 INT is nice but what does that really get you? +1 DC, +1 to INT Skills, about +34 Spell Points.

The -1 sp reduction when using your Metamagic Feats is just okay. (So now your 71 point Horrid Wilting will now cost 70)

OK then look at it this way you can take this enhancement and drop the top two Wiz Int Enhancements thus saving you a net of 8 AP after spending the 2 AP on the Capstone.

I'd take that

Aesop
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

if you have them, yes.
    I'd imagine that any wizard not dedicated mostly to blasting things would have at least 1 tier of the enhancement line, if not both. I for one cast many more heightened spells than maximized or empowered or quickened ones (Web, Otto's Resistible and Sphere, FoD, PK, Hold, F2S, Charm/Suggestion, Symbol of whatever, Glitterdust, Greater Shout...). And it helps with some DPS as well, since your CoC, Disintegrate and Fireball will not be saved against as often.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    I'd imagine that any wizard not dedicated mostly to blasting things would have at least 1 tier of the enhancement line, if not both. I for one cast many more heightened spells than maximized or empowered or quickened ones (Web, Otto's Resistible and Sphere, FoD, PK, Hold, F2S, Charm/Suggestion, Symbol of whatever, Glitterdust, Greater Shout...). And it helps with some DPS as well, since your CoC, Disintegrate and Fireball will not be saved against as often.
    i always leave heighten on and never take these enhancements. it's much more worthwhile to me to do more damage than to save sps and have to recast the spell b/c it didnt do the job.

this is what my wiz enhancements look like.

Wizard Concentration I
    Wizard Lineage of Energy I
    Wizard Lineage of Elements I
    Wizard Lineage of Force I
    Wizard Energy Manipulation IV
    Wizard Elemental Manipulation IV
    Wizard Force Manipulation II
    Wizard Spell Penetration III
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar IV
    Wizard Intelligence III
    Warforged Constitution I
    Warforged Inscribed Armor I

Quote Originally Posted by plus10swordofpimp View Post
    woo hoo! finally, my pure-class playing has paid off.

note to those who have multi-classed: R-E-R-O-L-L
    I'll keep my evaison thank you see how much good your capstone does you when your dead yeah its nice for those that want it but I see no serious temptation to reroll my rge/wz

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

i always leave heighten on and never take these enhancements. it's much more worthwhile to me to do more damage than to save sps and have to recast the spell b/c it didnt do the job.
    Lol crazy.

Lol insane.

EOTS4 gives you +30 sp for 4 AP. Imp Heighten 1 costs 4 AP, and saves you 5 sp from a level 5 spell, or 3 sp from a level 5 spell. If you cast 7 spells at level 5 or 11 spells at level 5, or some other combination, then Imp Heighten is providing you more spellpoints.

and 2 more pts on spell penetration. and when epic levels come, epic spellcasting much sooner.

wf wiz have no need for any of that nonsense.

edit: not to mention that reg evasion has diminishing returns if you're non dex based. as increasing dc's continue to outpace your save progression, and as damage becomes more severe, evasion quickly becomes less useful.
    Thats just silly as damage becomes more severe evasion becomes more useful not less and insightful reflexes will help you dex saves quite a bit. Yah not having improved evasion hurts but at least if you save you take nothing vs full that you pure wizard is gonnna take I will still be allive yes its a nice capstone. And evasion is just important for a WF race those few extra hp isnt going to help you survive more then evasion would

why would a non evasion wiz have IR?
    because half damage is much better then full damage maybe

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    On a side note, I understand that this is HOW this functions, but is it how it SHOULD function? Shouldn't resist be applied before protection all the time, and shouldn't protection be left intact if resist negates all the incoming damage anyway?
    Yes it should. That would improve game balance, by making the higher level spell more valuable.

Right now if you went to some random (non-caster) player character and offered to give him a (binded) clicky with 3x uses of Resist Energy or Prot Energy (both caster level 12), he'd obviously choose Resist Energy because it's such a superior effect.

The lower-level spell is more powerful, and that's wrong. If Prot Energy were applied before Resist, then it would have some justification for costing a higher-level slot. The job of Prot Energy is to save you from sudden big 100+ blasts of fire, but it usually fails in that mission because a repeated series of 20-30 point fire damages have already stripped it.

this is what my wiz enhancements look like.

Wizard Concentration I
    Wizard Lineage of Energy I
    Wizard Lineage of Elements I
    Wizard Lineage of Force I
    Wizard Energy Manipulation IV
    Wizard Elemental Manipulation IV
    Wizard Force Manipulation II
    Wizard Spell Penetration III
    Wizard Intelligence III
    Warforged Constitution I
    Warforged Inscribed Armor I
    For a WF, sure, you have to be concerned with the amount of healing you receive from your Repair spells, and sank points into that.

Off the top of my head, I believe my enhancements are as follows (drow):
    Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance I
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Empowering I
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Empowering II
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Heightening I
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Heightening II
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing I
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing II
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing III
    Enhancement: Wizard Concentration I
    Enhancement: Wizard Concentration II
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements I
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements II
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements III
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements I
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration I
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration II
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    EOTS4 gives you +30 sp for 4 AP. Imp Heighten 1 costs 4 AP, and saves you 5 sp from a level 5 spell, or 3 sp from a level 5 spell. If you cast 7 spells at level 5 or 11 spells at level 5, or some other combination, then Imp Heighten is providing you more spellpoints.
    but heighten is not always used and so, based upon how i play, i have more sp by taking the full line of sp enhancements. heighten does not affect acid fog, firewall, reconstruct, and several spells that i commonly, and sometimes exclusively, use. for a generic wizard laying down cc, yes enhancements for height are better. but not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska d'Orien View Post
    Thats just silly as damage becomes more severe evasion becomes more useful not less and insightful reflexes will help you dex saves quite a bit. Yah not having improved evasion hurts but at least if you save you take nothing vs full that you pure wizard is gonnna take I will still be allive yes its a nice capstone. And evasion is just important for a WF race those few extra hp isnt going to help you survive more then evasion would
    its not the hp that keeps the skilled wf wiz alive, its the self healing coupled with having the right spells for the right situation. id rather survive that fireball/lightning, finger the baddy regardless of their saves and sr and then self heal than hope i evade the damage and if i dont then im screwed and couldnt heal myself even if i was alive.

Community Member

but heighten is not always used
    Not according to you:
    i always leave heighten on

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast