Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Mirror's Edge + DDO = #1 Game in the World!

Months back I posted in the forums about the great desire many have to be able to play DDO in FPS mode.
    I also mentioned how D&D is almost single-handedly responsible for the very genre itself with
    the introduction of FPS into its early videos games years back.

Well here we are now with the Mega HIT Mirror's edge!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo

Proving that FPS is still one of the top desired playing views in Video games because of its immersive

feel and game play.

Maybe the big guys over at Turbine will listen to the millions of Mirror's edge copies sold

and see the trend or shall we say the re-invigoration of the genre.

Bigangel (Castwolf)

PS: If I didn't LOVE DDO I wouldn't own 4 accounts (Wife, My two teen children and Myself).
    Last edited by BigAngel; 12-16-2008 at 09:39 PM.

FPS isn't a playing view, FP (first person) is. FPS is short for first person shooter, like doom or call of duty.

That said, although a first person view wouldn't be my cup of tea, i could see how some people might prefer it.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!
    Aeneas - Boosterseat - Eulogy - Diminutive - Moths

Thumbs up Yes sorry You are correct.

I should have said First Person View.
    Thank you for the correction.

-Big

Millions of copies of Diablo and Diablo II have been sold as well.. Does that mean DDO Should go to a Zoomed out 3rd Person perspective?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Millions and millions of copies of Hustler have been sold...so I think we should eliminate all clothing in the game and make it adult themed...
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Looting's our business and business is good.
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

FPV isn't my cup of tea as it really gives no real peripheral vision. But, if it was an option in the future and it brought ore people to the game, great.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by Deathseeker View Post
    Millions and millions of copies of Hustler have been sold...so I think we should eliminate all clothing in the game and make it adult themed...
    /Signed. My bard already follows this philosophy
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Millions of copies of Diablo and Diablo II have been sold as well.. Does that mean DDO Should go to a Zoomed out 3rd Person perspective?
    There are times that I would actually like that option to tell you the truth.

Ok, aside from my tongue-in-cheek-answer (keep your mind out of the gutter)...

As long as a first person view was done so it didnt remove anything from anyone else, I say why not? More options is always good...
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

I agree with Hafeal, FPV doesn't have enough of a field of view. If that is what you like you can just screw in the camera view in DDO... tried it, no thanx. However, if a better field IE more lifelike field of view were available I would play it. I think it would be great. However I do not believe the technology is cost effective at this time.

Smile However I do not believe the technology is cost effective at this time.

Yeah man, but you don't have to change the games entire engine to add another camera anchor point.

Now, in my opinion True First Person View would look "letterbox" on your screen with 140 deg. field of view. See link -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view
    Objects would degrade in detail and color towards either edges of the screen.

I've yet to see that in a FPV game and would imagine that would take a little more effort to program.
    But that would be far more realistic then the straight window into the virtual environment
    all games use today. (yes even mirror's edge)

Now if DDO did that, they would be trend setting!

-Big

*note: I'm putting together a graphic showing what I mean. I'll post it once its done

just a little busy at the moment.

/signed

Ok, aside from my tongue-in-cheek-answer (keep your mind out of the gutter)...

As long as a first person view was done so it didnt remove anything from anyone else, I say why not? More options is always good...
    /unsigned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot View Post
    Whats going on here? Walk in my shoes hurt your feet then know why berry and I do dirt in the street. Like he said, this is an IFV thread now, get off my block son...

I wouldn't mind seeing a view similar to the way Fallout 3 works... it's third person, and when you zoom in enough, it swaps to first person.

The main problem I have with the zoomed in view in DDO is the big body in the way blocking your view of what's right in front of you.

Although, personally, I like scrolling as far back as possible... I like the way the Fallout 3 POV system works.
    Guild Leader ~ Twelve Moons ~ Sarlona

AKA: Bandage (C20), Questionable (F20-15), Durkonn (P20-12), Supreme (W20), Shhh (Rog19/F1), Twigman (Brb20), Xykon (Rgr 20), Mightytool (F20), Shazbotte (S20)

You stole my idea darn it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAngel View Post
    Months back I posted in the forums about the great desire many have to be able to play DDO in FPS mode.
    I also mentioned how D&D is almost single-handedly responsible for the very genre itself with
    the introduction of FPS into its early videos games years back.

Well here we are now with the Mega HIT Mirror's edge!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo

Proving that FPS is still one of the top desired playing views in Video games because of its immersive

feel and game play.

Maybe the big guys over at Turbine will listen to the millions of Mirror's edge copies sold

and see the trend or shall we say the re-invigoration of the genre.

Bigangel (Castwolf)

PS: If I didn't LOVE DDO I wouldn't own 4 accounts (Wife, My two teen children and Myself).
    Internal memo's cite Mirrors edge as a sales "disaster".

They expected it to do MUCH better then it already has.

Like this game it will have leg's in terms of sales.

BigAngel, off-topic: looks like you need to make a GoDaddy payment, as DDORADIO is not working out so well at this time.

Now, for my feelings for FP gameplay. I wouldn't mind it, but I don't see it as 'make or break'. I just can't imagine the number of posts that would pop up from people saying things like 'omg, I have rare disease #52,521, and this camera-work is causing me to sing 'I feel pretty' uncontrollably', or something along those lines.
    [Founder/Leader of the Bloodlords of Argonnesen]
    [DaveyKhealerAcapellaBaphometGodithGearey Gygax]

Talking DDO FPS screen grab! ;-)

Ok first let me say, your the first guy that noticed ddoradio has been down for 6 months now.
    Btw, those few who did, thanks for the support, lot$ of cash was dumped into that project,
    glad some of you liked it. (and Godaddy is on Smackdaddy, that hosting has been closed.)

Next!

Like I said Id put together a concept of what a DDO FPS screen setting might look like.
    Its very rough but gives ya the idea.

Second, Im not saying to make this the only view but one that you can select as needed.

What do you think?

-Big
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldn't mind a first person view, as I said in a previous thread of yours.

But I have to say, that attachment that you made. . . If the first person view looked like that, I think I'd avoid it at all costs. That blur is just way too distracting. My own vision doesn't blur on the sides; I can still see what's to my side. I just can't see it detailed. . . But it isn't all blurry and stuff. (That curve to it, too, is rather. . . Disrupting to the UI and game flow, to me, as well.)

First person view would be great. But I don't think it needs fancy stuff like edge blurring and all that (though motion blur (minor) would be nice, kinda like how Valve does in Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2, to make up for it.).

-D
    Thelanis - Warforged Shield of the <Fellowship of the Golden Night>

Quote Originally Posted by BigAngel View Post
    Second, Im not saying to make this the only view but one that you can select as needed.

What do you think?

-Big
    I think your first mistake, as demonstrated by this conceptual image, is building an S&B lowbie...tsk, tsk, tsk...

While I'm quite impressed you took the time to do a pretty decent job of a mock up, I can't say this gets me excited at all. But again, as long as there is a sizable segment who would like it, Im for it. They can't please everyone all the time, but they could please some people some of the time with this, and that good in my book.

But the blur thing on the left and right...nuh uh, not so good...
    ~PESTILENCE~

Community Member

Default Screw full FPS, just give me feedback!

I personally don't see the need for a full FPS perspective, though I would like to highjack your point with my own wishlist item to see Turbine get more value of their current investment into Alt-Z mode.

Alt-Z is not just useful for screenshots, you can actually play in this mode! There is nothing I like better than getting my UI off and romping through a quest in Alt-Z mode, except one fundamental problem... feedback!

Whether by character is on 1% or 100% life, you don't know it, making using Alt-Z very risky. The best you can do is pop up you character window constantly to check, but it ruins the whole immersion thing.

Maybe if Turbine added the option to show basic percentages, a small coloured dot / 1 pixel line wide, or ideally dynamically changing player models, it would really all people to use this feature more.

I think for a few minor tweaks and a mention in an update newsletter could open up this whole experience to more people!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast