Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default (Party): Your party member, K'zurth Qarab, has died.

This guy has about 45 hit points. He never lived long enough to do much of anything.

I will never use K'zurth again, and strongly recommend against using him.

Oh and, the res shrine near Yarkuch is unusable by this hireling.

-Whargoul

Some thing for the devs to take into consideration, some which have been adressed.

Put another toggle button so that I can have the option of my hireling smashing boxes/crates or not. It can be annoying when I am already fighting but my "partner" is back down the hallway still smashing ****, or better yet, standing at a closed door with crates behind them.

Increase the attack rate of the hirelings. When I take a look at the player swinging and compare it to my hireling......it is almost as if he is standing there trying to decide if he wants to swing or do something else. This leads to them taking much more damage than nessicary because the mob has lived much longer than it should have.

Equip the hireling's better. It is as if their ac and damage output are hardly there at all. I do not think they should do as much damage as a player would, but if the intention was to allow a hireling to replace a player then they are sorely lacking.

And last but not least, give me an option of what spells I want to have access too. Let me choose what the 3 or 4 spells are that a caster will cast because in all honesty, I can only see them being usefull as "buffbots" due to the fact that when they draw aggro, they are dead.

Also, one more. Extend. Need to say nothing more about this.

I can see them being useful at some point in time, but they really need some tweaking. I do not expect them to be better than a player, nor even quite as good. As they stand now however they are more of a hinderance than a help.

What I wrote above is not to discourage the implementation of them. I really do like the idea. Its just that they really need some work.

Crimson.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post

Question 1: Hirelings now support a "Defensive" mode. What do you think of this feature?

Question 2: Now that more changes have been made to Hirelings, what is the name of your favorite Hireling and why are they your favorite?

Question 3: What is the name of your least favorite Hireling and why are they your least favorite?
    Answer 1: I don't use this much, I mostly put them in passive mode and try to leave them in a safe spot, so I don't have much experience with this mode.

Answer 2: I would have to say my favorite hireling now is Barrage the WF Caster out of GH. He's got Reconstruct, Haste, and Displacement, what more could a WF barbarian ask in a hireling, he's also got Fireball which doesn't get used. Also sense I use this guy on my WF Barbarian I've picked a couple up for my monk for whatever reason, and it turned out when I put him in active made he helped out, which was strange to me, now he was bad at buffing me on his own when I got debuffed, but as far as crowd control went I was pleasantly surprised.

Answer 3: I would have to say Dheran Giles would be my least favorite right now, he was more trouble than he is worth. I never put him on active mode I was spending to much time trying to get him out of the area of danger once he had cast a heal on me, however it was to little to late and he went down like a sack on potatoes. So I took the other two contracts I had of him and deleted them.
    (EightySix-16 Cleric)(Lockwood-10 Fighter/3 Paliden/3 Rogue)(Trapspringer-13 Ranger/2 Fighter/1 Rogue)(Darkwatch-12 Fighter/3 Paliden/1 Rogue)(KillDash Nine-15 Wizard/1 Bard)(Chaosxy-16 Sorcerer)(Rockcutter-16 Monk)(Accidental-15 Bard/1 Fighter)(Chainsaw-14 Barbarian/2 Fighter)(HealingWind-7 Cleric)(Handsomerob-2 Rogue/1 Barbarian/1 Fighter)

I found aidren rumrunner completely useless. He has two non-offensive spells- web and summon monster 1. Every time I tried to get him to cast either one, I got the error message "aidren is out of range", regardless of where I was targeting (so there was no way to use the web spell to any effect at all, and I never saw him cast it. I was finally able to get him to cast summon monster 1, by targeting him, then making him cast it.

His potentially really useful spell- scorching ray, he rarely spontaneously case and refused to cast it when asked. So that was kind of pointless as well.

In general, his strategy, regardless of whether in active or guard mode was, when faced with a scary monster, to either stand there drinking healing potions while it is beating on him, or to plink it with a crossbow.

(should be clear, but he's my nomination for least favorite hireling.)

Default well..

seeing as this thread was given new life oughta nowhere might as well give my 2cp...

1: dont get to use defensive mode much as taking my hirelings near combat usually ends up with me forcing them to follow me away from the mob i was gathering for the firewalls of glory. i stick to either aggressive or passive. Would be really helpful if i could get a full spell list of the casters as some of the useful spells and abilities they have arent in the bar, perhaps a little button that lets you pull up more tabs with more options?

2: Kern Killer-Of-All, has to be my favorite hireling as i use him on my wizard. first off hes repairable so i dont have to cart his dead body to a shrine very easy, and second, he weilds a construct bane greataxe, which makes him useful as i bash portals when soloing vale or aussircaex valley.

3: dont have a least favorite as Kern's awesomeness prevents me from choosing other hirelings very often, but in general i dont like casters because there arent enoguh options available for me to be more specific with spells and whatnot. just 3-4 spells and the rest is them going crazy spamming chilltouch and fireball or something if you let them loose. same goes for clerics
    Sarlona--Radiation, Liquidation

Have only used them twice, so I'm not yet ready to respond to your ques. But both experiences have been fun, and I intend to use them more often. Reason for the post:

I destroyed a contract the other day, then found it had turned up in my buyback window at the tavern. No complaints, just wasn't sure if thats a bug or feature. Wanted to pass that along.

Notes for Tolero: Your sigs "Tell the Team" currently points to the old and closed hireling preview thread. Is this thread the current "proper place" for hireling feedback?

Also... please update the www.ddo.com -> articles -> Release Notes page (it's Mod 7 moldy right now).

Thoughts since the Mod 8: patch 3. Things I've noticed.

• Hirelings still don't have enough hit points. Running in the desert I've had all of the available L9-L11 spell casters run/teleport/jump near me and one-hit die. Usually the flaming blade firebrands or fire elementals. Give them all toughness + enh points and con14+.
    • Defensive/Attack mode hirelings when following like to catch up and then stay even or go slightly past me. Sometimes into traps... or to be the first to aggro mobs. Please change it so at least defensive mode following or 'come to me' hirelings stop a few feet behind.
    • A hireling in stand-your-ground toggle mode, changes to follow-mode when you ask them to catch-up. You have to double toggle to get them back to stand-your-ground. Please fix.
    • Hirelings still have shrine issues... though some are better if you move them around a few times. Usually on shrines stuck in walls. Do we need to start /loc reporting each of them?

Question 1: Hirelings now support a "Defensive" mode. What do you think of this feature?

Defensive mode, especially with the patch 3 fixes is my status quo. LIke it a lot for caster/healer types.

Question 2: Now that more changes have been made to Hirelings, what is the name of your favorite Hireling and why are they your favorite?

Barrage - he has reconstruct and doesn't instantly die plus he has THE HAT.

Question 3: What is the name of your least favorite Hireling and why are they your least favorite?

Toad - no haste and no hp makes him the true Toad of the hireling world.
    Last edited by Gratch; 01-29-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Community Member

Default Hirelings are too expensive

Geeze. I went to go buy hirelings and it was like 140 points for an hour. They should be half that. I am way to lazy to go out and find a party besides I dont have time. Plus I went and bought a hireling folder for 95 points. Is it really only supposed to hold two hirelings??? I then plunked down 395 points and got the one that holds twelve hirelings. Turns out it wont hold active hirelings so its use is extremely limited. both will probably end up in my vault until it gets fixed. And for gods sakes why can't I start a thread? I relize I am just a lowly premium player but, I have spent over 200 bucks on the game now and deserve to be able to post. And to all who said a Drow bard/rogue with 8 con and 10 dex wouldnt work. I have slowly worked my way up to 11 con and 14 dex through enhancements items and tomes. I even have 10 str 20 int and 22 cha. I think I have gotten my hp up to 60 now. Thats not bad for level 5. The only question I have is how much rogue I should take. I am leaning towards just one or two levels of it. and the rest bard. The nice thing about bard and hirelings is that a bard can do all the swimming, secret door detection, buffing, with moderate melee and ranged attack. I suppose one level of thief would allow you to disarm traps and unlock doors. I am guessing that detect secret door reveals trap boxes. Right now as a rogue I get 12 skill points a level which is nice. It seems you can take a fairly bad build and make something of it. The only thing is if my dex gets high enough I would like to drop the medium armor feat and go light and I have already used up a feat swap.

To increase grouping I would prefer they were removed.

When I duel someone I like to dual wield. with my rouge wearing rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by miceelf88 View Post
    1. I have only tried one hireling now- the level 1 paladin. I guess the good thing about the defensive mode is that he wasn't running off and bringing back trouble. The bad thing was that he did absolutely nothing.Got mauled by a zombie in the retrieving the tome quest, and he simply stood there and watched me get hit. Even when ordered to attack, he attacked exactly once, then went back to watching me get hit. I think this might be a little TOO passive. I wondered if he had a pack full of popcorn, so he could watch the sucker who had hired him get wailed on.
    OTOH, when I switched him to active or whatever, he went back to being the annoying "attack everything and bring back the train" mode.

2 & 3: see above.

Edited because I'm an idiot. But does selecting a different difficulty actually reset the dungeon? Anyone know for sure?
    Once you have started you cant change the difficulity until quest has been reset.

When I duel someone I like to dual wield. with my rouge wearing rogue.

Haven't had a use for it, so I'm indifferent on this.

I used to really like the crazy dwarf cleric, I think his name was Molin, just because he was so fun to watch...except when he would waste all of his spell points in heavy-undead-populated dungeons. I've outleveled him, though.

I stocked up on new hirelings (and a folder) when they were 50% off, so I have a few more to try out now. We'll see how well they work out.

Any Barbarian hireling that would rather smash crates than bash some skulls in.
    Sarlona: IsilmerelAlistanYusillaNyssisDingfriesThe Order of Cygnus
    "You're still my favorite Isilmerel." ~Tarrant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12