Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default Hireling preview concluded

Our Hireling wranglers apparently fell asleep with a turkey leg in their mouths, and Hirelings enjoyed a longer stay than anticipated from the Weekend's festivities. We hope you enjoyed the extra time to spend with your Hireling friends, and at this time Hirelings are no longer able to be summoned or purchased. The wait for Hirelings is almost over though! Be on the look out for their next appearance in Stormreach this month!

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Hey just out of curriousity...what's the point of turning them off? Even if they aren't working ideally in all cases, unless they are crashing things isn't something better than nothing for people who would use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Our Hireling wranglers apparently fell asleep with a turkey leg in their mouths, and Hirelings enjoyed a longer stay than anticipated from the Weekend's festivities. We hope you enjoyed the extra time to spend with your Hireling friends, and at this time Hirelings are no longer able to be summoned or purchased. The wait for Hirelings is almost over though! Be on the look out for their next appearance in Stormreach this month!
    Dang I wish I would have known they were still around!
    Sarlona: Dymondd Sar Tennith: lvl 15 Human Paladin/Fighter - Rusty Pick Guild
    Khyber: SparrHawk Instellius lvl 17 Human Paladin, Storrmyy Instellius lvl 16 Drow Cleric, Teknikal SuhPoort lvl 16 Dwarf Barbarian, Falcynn Instellius lvl 8 Halfling Ranger - Elite Noobs

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    Hey just out of curriousity...what's the point of turning them off? Even if they aren't working ideally in all cases, unless they are crashing things isn't something better than nothing for people who would use them?
    Even though I can't give you a real answer, my guess is so they can go back to working on them, I imagine that they were around for Thanksgiving because for the most part I imagine that most of the Dev's if not all of them had Thanksgiving off. So sense there would be no work done on them, they didn't need to keep them locked up some they could give them more "Training" before they go back in the world of Stormreach.

I think these releases of hirelings is so they can get some experience what it's like in the wide world so they understand the purpose of their training better, it's all a part of their boot camp I believe, got to do a couple of live exercises here and their, help them reach their full potential.
    (EightySix-16 Cleric)(Lockwood-10 Fighter/3 Paliden/3 Rogue)(Trapspringer-13 Ranger/2 Fighter/1 Rogue)(Darkwatch-12 Fighter/3 Paliden/1 Rogue)(KillDash Nine-15 Wizard/1 Bard)(Chaosxy-16 Sorcerer)(Rockcutter-16 Monk)(Accidental-15 Bard/1 Fighter)(Chainsaw-14 Barbarian/2 Fighter)(HealingWind-7 Cleric)(Handsomerob-2 Rogue/1 Barbarian/1 Fighter)

Quote Originally Posted by EightyFour View Post
    Even though I can't give you a real answer, my guess is so they can go back to working on them, I imagine that they were around for Thanksgiving because for the most part I imagine that most of the Dev's if not all of them had Thanksgiving off. So sense there would be no work done on them, they didn't need to keep them locked up some they could give them more "Training" before they go back in the world of Stormreach.

I think these releases of hirelings is so they can get some experience what it's like in the wide world so they understand the purpose of their training better, it's all a part of their boot camp I believe, got to do a couple of live exercises here and their, help them reach their full potential.
    You do realize the hirelings aren't real people right? The code would still be available to work on while they are implemented temporarily. When the devs take something offline typically its to avoid a known exploit (read shroud) or a broken mechanic.

I see no reason the hirelings haven't been made permanent and improved in later patches. It isn't like everything Turbine releases is flawless at its inception. In fact....
    KIP

Community Member

They were great, I can't wait to see them fully implemented into the game. Aside from a few quirks they worked for the most part good.

I've found them a good addition. Thanks.
    So, I hear that one day we may get Familiars...
    ....I want a Velociraptor!

Yes, bring back the hirelings soon! I really found them helpful, even if a little foolhardy in some cases.

And also yes, I second the motion for familiars. That would be cool, even if there were restrictions. If anyone's ever played the video game K9, I'm kinda hoping that's how the AI would work.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Community Member UnderwearModel's Avatar

Default Boo!!! I actually used the hirelings

I noticed the hireling front men were still around so I was using them.

I used hirelings on the LIVE server and found them useful and they did not break anything. I completed the quests, they never bugged out, I had zero problems with them. I missed most of Thanksgiving game time due to family obligations.

Were they optimal? NO. But if used properly they were helpful and they made nice cannon fodder.

They were great and I can't wait to see them fully in game. I used this a ton over the weekend and wish they would have been left there until they are permanently re-released. Our Guild runs this last week were always one or two people shy of a full group and we were able to run things that would have been healing pot costly if it weren't for the Hirelings.
    Thelanis - Proud Officer of Archangels: http://archangelsddo.guildlaunch.com
    ALTS: Mysteeria, Larawynn, Ketanna, Sandia, Serawynn, Valkeira, Galewynn, Velarawynn,
    Keeriea, DiAndri, Celarawynn, Intimiwynn & Kerirawynn

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaidendager View Post
    You do realize the hirelings aren't real people right? The code would still be available to work on while they are implemented temporarily. When the devs take something offline typically its to avoid a known exploit (read shroud) or a broken mechanic.

I see no reason the hirelings haven't been made permanent and improved in later patches. It isn't like everything Turbine releases is flawless at its inception. In fact....
    I imagine it's because they're not working exactly as Turbine wants, i.e., a bug or flaw of some kind. If they left hirelings in and it continuted that they would not use certain shrines, don't you think people would complain?

I really doubt Turbine would release a feature with an exploit Turbine knows about, so I don't think an exploit has to be known to the player base.