Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 5 minute quest reset - is it really necessary?

Does this give someone perverse pleasure? To have players spend well over an hour on a quest. almost complete it, and then be unable to make it back in time before it resets and have to start over?

If you want to sell something that people will buy, sell quest reset delays, but not for $70 each like the ottos boxes. price microtransactions as microtransactions. I'd pay $2 for this sadistic feature to be reduced.

>:|

Um, so yeah, I'm done playing for today. Too much unfun stuff.
    Last edited by Knobull; 08-16-2014 at 05:48 PM.

what quest is so far away from a bind point or ship door that you couldn't make it back to the quest in 5 minutes?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    Does this give someone perverse pleasure? To have players spend well over an hour on a quest. almost complete it, and then be unable to make it back in time before it resets and have to start over?

If you want to sell something that people will buy, sell quest reset delays, but not for $70 each like the ottos boxes. price microtransactions as microtransactions. I'd pay $2 for this sadistic feature to be reduced.

As long as casters are little gods that are balanced (ha) by spell points, yes it's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    As long as casters are little gods that are balanced (ha) by spell points, yes it's necessary.
    in wilderness areas, there are shrines right outside the quest or a short jog away. in public areas there are taverns just a short jog away. if players don't care about the xp, than sp is easy to refill if needed. casters were doing this when epic GH first came out and I know some still do that when they solo farm for loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    what quest is so far away from a bind point or ship door that you couldn't make it back to the quest in 5 minutes?
    Ghosts of Perdition. I misclicked the farshifter on the ship and went to sands, that was enough to miss the quest reset timer by the time I got there.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Care to explain?

How does this extremely unforgiving feature help a solo melee player enjoy the game? I understand that it most likely is to protect server resources, but 10 minutes would be awesome and would allow for misclicks, lagging loading screens and other mishaps that can cause you to miss the timer.

As it stands, any time I release from a quest and attempt to return it is a mad panic. Will I make it in time or will I have lost the last 3 hours and gained nothing for my character?

Sure, in theory one could DoS the server if the timer was 10 minutes by running around and opening as many quests as possible (this would actually take quite a number of players doing this) but even this could be avoided by preventing a player from opening another quest while say three are still active that they have opened.

Bottom line for me is no more DDO for me today, negative levels and quest reset timers just make it no fun at all. Games are supposed to be relaxing, not frustrating.

This would be a simple Quality-of-Life fix. Increase the quest reset timer.
    Last edited by Knobull; 08-16-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Ghosts of Perdition. I misclicked the farshifter on the ship and went to sands, that was enough to miss the quest reset timer by the time I got there.
    ok so that sucks and have had that happen to me before, but I don't think your suggestion is really needed. it was just a misclick, but normally it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get right back to a quest. I will agree though that the 5 minute reset is no longer necessary, but I doubt it would be worth the time for the devs to develop a reset bypass and I doubt it would be anything that would make Turbine much money.

The misclick is unfortunate.

Ghosts of Perdition can be a difficult quest for a melee solo.

While I understand your frustration, 5 minutes is usually enough time to run from most bind spots. When running solo I recommend binding to the closest place you can. While this won't fix what happened to you it will give you the best chance for making it back to a quest within the 5 minute time limit.

Good luck on your next attempt of Ghosts of Perdition.

Also newer and some revamped explorer areas offer teleports to help return to quests within the 5 minute time limit.

Bottom line for me is no more DDO for me today, negative levels and quest reset timers just make it no fun at all. Games are supposed to be relaxing, not frustrating.

This would be a simple Quality-of-Life fix. Increase the quest reset timer.
    Negative levels can be avoided with a little bit of investment.

Threnal has a cloak in its end reward list that gives you 5 spell absorption
    Gianthold has a cloak which has spell absorption charges
    There are Scarabs of Spell absorption that you can sometimes find in the AH
    You could also build a Silverflame Trinket (1st 3 Chains in Necropolis) for 10 charges of Negative energy absorption

Why do I point this out?

I started playing in '06 and I've had many quests where we failed to complete - but they were not a waste of time. Each failure taught me something about my character/build and how to be prepared. Back then when you died you actually lost XP temporarily. On one particular night running an Elite VoN 3 (Keep in mind max level at that time was 10) on my level 8 character we had it rough (Shrines also only allowed 1 use which included raise shrines). We finally completed after several recalls having to run the pre-VoN 3 quests several times to get back into the quest, I actually ended that quest as a level 7 character and I was almost to Level 9 when we started. Yes it was frustrating, yes I was not better off when we completed, but I would not have exchanged that nights run for anything. I meet a great group of players and was guilded with them up to the Server Merge where many parted ways.

But when you find you are getting overly frustrated with a game, I agree it is time to take a break, do something else. When you come back analyze what happened and decide if you can do something to prevent the reason why you had to recall out of the quest, then prepare for another run.

Good luck.

Barring user-error, it's not really much of an issue.

Community Member

It's really about learning a few things so this doesn't happen.
    1. Bind in necro on your way to the quest
    2. Have invis item to get to quests quickly. Most quests you can run straight there without fighting anything.

The 5 min reset probably is a relic of the days when you couldn't manually reset a quest. (Although you could group/break group to reset).

ok so that sucks and have had that happen to me before, but I don't think your suggestion is really needed. it was just a misclick, but normally it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get right back to a quest. I will agree though that the 5 minute reset is no longer necessary, but I doubt it would be worth the time for the devs to develop a reset bypass and I doubt it would be anything that would make Turbine much money.
    Nothing would change if the timer was moved to 10 minutes. It would just allow players to actually get back without rushing. The OP is asking for a reasonable change.

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Nothing would change if the timer was moved to 10 minutes. It would just allow players to actually get back without rushing. The OP is asking for a reasonable change.
    I do believe the 5 minute quest timer is not to punish players who leave a quest and want to return but, to cut down on the amount of unneeded instances running on the servers.

I wasn't disagreeing with the suggestion to change it. just disagreeing for it to be a paid reset.

Community Member

Longer reset timers = More instances open at once = More server strain/lag.

This is a solo only problem. Many may argue that DDO does not have to further incentivize solo play.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    I do believe the 5 minute quest timer is not to punish players who leave a quest and want to return but, to cut down on the amount of unneeded instances running on the servers.
    This consider running a Shadow Dragon raid.

The reason why good leaders make long speeches is to let the back instances expire and all those skeleton archers calm down.

Once the five minute speech is over, they take the group into the raid and as long as the dps is strong and its not prime time on your server, things go well.

Increasing the amount of time an instance is "open" would promote raid lag....

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    Longer reset timers = More instances open at once = More server strain/lag.
    Good point! Yes, lag = bad.

I wasn't disagreeing with the suggestion to change it. just disagreeing for it to be a paid reset.
    Ah, sorry. Totally agree with you then. Paid window lengthening = stupid and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    This is a solo only problem. Many may argue that DDO does not have to further incentivize solo play.
    I don't see the above as a serious issue. Yes, it would be nice if group play were more rewarded but the window period only happens if you don't follow the advice given above w/bind points and so on.

not everything goes well all the time...we cant take away the possability of losing ...then where is the glory in victory.As it is most players around more than a few months can solo alot of the game .I 'd love to see a disabled ship buff week ,and see how many can really battle without their precious buffs..ill bet you went to cargo hold before misclicking,and wasted time there too...for neg lvls ,make a dwarf and farm axe of famine..my dwarf has one for each hand,it restores All neg lvls in one roll of a 20.I have been 21 lvls down in a dungeon and lived,fully restored by battle end...no pots or spell absorb needed.
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

If you want to play solo in a MMORPG that focuses on group play from lvl 1 to endgame, that is your choice.

Just as it is my choice to play the game blindfolded.
    Server: Khyber.
    Leader of the Dragon Renaissance Brotherhood.

Community Member

Smile People so Nice these days

L2P

Sorry, had to be said...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast