Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

10% per feat or enhancement would make sense

3 feats, and 3 enhancements, which leaves room for 3 more ranks from kensai or berzerker, topping you off at 90% chance to activate.

Any less just it not going to be a worthwhile addition; and it doesnt break the lower levels b/c you get it in baby steps as you progress to lvl 20
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

So does "special weapon effects" include all current affects that can hit the main target?

Does it also include trips/sblow/sunder like strategy effects if those happened to be triggered on a the swing with a glancing blow(s) attached to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    if they follow in the footsteps of 4.0 they'll be making frenzied bezerker favor (or maybe only work with) two handed weapons.
    maybe favor thf but kensai works for twf just not as good as with thf. berserker should be the same no?

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    maybe favor thf but kensai works for twf just not as good as with thf. berserker should be the same no?
    Why should it? There could easily be a THF PrE and a TWF PrE.

Not that I advocate it. Just saying there is nothing unhealthy about a THF PrE. Like Tempest being about TWF or Deepwood Sniper for range.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratch View Post
    So does "special weapon effects" include all current affects that can hit the main target?

Does it also include trips/sblow/sunder like strategy effects if those happened to be triggered on a the swing with a glancing blow(s) attached to it?
    I believe Eladrin confirmed it is only weapon effects when the same mechanic was discussed inthe Kensai post.

Aerak the Bulwark-Awryn Shadowblade-Aerrik Lightbringer
    Member of D.W.A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    As usual, since this is a preview, details are still subject to change.
    Once this is released, will we get real numbers so that we don't have to run hours of tests just to get the same result?
    For the latest DDO info how, where, and when you want it...
    DDO Reports: DDO. News. Now.
    For instant updates (even on your mobile device), follow DDO Reports on Twitter.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by EKKM View Post
    I believe Eladrin confirmed it is only weapon effects when the same mechanic was discussed inthe Kensai post.
    That's what he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Will the increased chance of Special Effect on Glancing Blows include a chance of a Rogues Sneak Attack?
    "Special effects" refers to things like "flaming", "vorpal", and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    That's what he said:
    was just on my way to edit with the same quote.. thanks though

Member of D.W.A.T.

Community Member

not necessarily.

in all seriousness, the TWF barbarian is a figment of DDO. you don't play a TWF barbarian in Dungeons & Dragons unless you are intent on having a gimped character. it's not a question of flavor, it's a question of simple mathematics. the only possible alternative i can see would be a twf monkey grip character with two greataxes, and even then you might be able to do better damage with a single two hander due to decreasing instead of increasing attack bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    not necessarily.

in all seriousness, the TWF barbarian is a figment of DDO. you don't play a TWF barbarian in Dungeons & Dragons unless you are intent on having a gimped character. it's not a question of flavor, it's a question of simple mathematics. the only possible alternative i can see would be a twf monkey grip character with two greataxes, and even then you might be able to do better damage with a single two hander due to decreasing instead of increasing attack bonuses.
    Only slightly true. However, in PnP, GTWF is base Dex 19, which significantly changes your stat allocation and level ups.

TWF is viable as a Barb, it's just more difficult.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Oh well... there go my hopes of the raging THF Barbo glancing blow improved trip swing.

Also... when do our fighter's get the feats: Overrun, Bullrush, and possibly Warforged Titan Ground Pound. You can give maul's/warhammers a new weapon-fx bonus to the ground pound ability to help bring blunt in line with the massive crit ranges of slash/pierce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    TWF is viable as a Barb, it's just more difficult.
    viable is not the same as optimized.

in DDO, twf is clearly not only optimized, but it's (currently, who knows in mod 9) the only comparatively viable DPS option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    You mean it's a WF THF Paladin's weapon of choice?

'Cuz I don't see anywhere that it says Fighter/Barb WF THF get bonuses while using a GS.
    No, in Eberron in general they prefer greatswords as the favored weapon of the Lord of Blades, the only current game mechanic that rides on that concept is for paladins but it makes perfect sense to address this issue now that we're talking about two handers.

Why should it? There could easily be a THF PrE and a TWF PrE.

Not that I advocate it. Just saying there is nothing unhealthy about a THF PrE. Like Tempest being about TWF or Deepwood Sniper for range.

not saying that it should not be the best option for THF, but am surious as to if it will work at all for a TWF. my point was that if its like kensai then it will still help twf but it will help thf more.

and asp, my point is in reference to a mutt build 12ranger/6barb/2ftr. wondering if the 1st tier of the barb PrE will be viable but i will just have to wait and see

not saying that it should not be the best option for THF, but am surious as to if it will work at all for a TWF. my point was that if its like kensai then it will still help twf but it will help thf more.

and asp, my point is in reference to a mutt build 12ranger/6barb/2ftr. wondering if the 1st tier of the barb PrE will be viable but i will just have to wait and see
    You'd also have two other barb prcs to choose from, theres no harm in it if berzerker doesnt work with twf at all. The haste bonus, and the ac bonus for tempest dont work with any other style of fighting. Kensai dividing up the attack styles has been the exception so far and not the rule. I'd be very surprised if berzeker was the only prc given to barbs with a means to enhance damage, considering thats all the barbarian is. On any account, we're all stuck waiting for mod 9 for the fighter and pally enhancements, and probably ten or later for the barb stuff. Its not like it would be the only one released for quite some time, just the only one we have information on. So far every class has released with three, thus your mutt build will have two other options to take and possibly a racial.
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

Given that Eladrin said "All of these stack with the "chance to produce effects" increases granted by the Two Handed Fighting chain, Kensai (specialized in two handed weapons), and Frenzied Berserker." in the OP I guess I will have to agree with you.

That is to expect of the barbarian PrE's. Most likely a THF and a TWF one. the other, either a lousy HP one or a weird one that has non-DPS perks.
    You mean the one where you can gain dex rather then str+con when you rage and you also gain a dodge bonus to ac?
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Turial View Post
    You mean the one where you can gain dex rather then str+con when you rage and you also gain a dodge bonus to ac?
    Does that really exist?!

This looks interesting

Aesop
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

Cool!

I really had a feeling THF was going to get some love. Been leveling my THF WF Barb for a couple of weeks now.

I'm really, really impressed that the devs are listening to the players and looking at balance.

THF is getting a boost, Fts are getting a boost and I'd put money on Frenzied Berserker only effecting THF too.

(Why? Because there's NEVER been an annoucement of Barb PrE's but as soon as the devs start balancing THF one gets created all of a sudden).

My Tempest Barb may lose out a little in all of this (who am I kidding? He still has Crit Rage and rapiers) but I'm still very, very happy.

Incidentally, whilst this is in no way a Dwarf nerf, we are definitely starting to see the scales slide a little...
    Last edited by Cold Stele; 11-25-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Does that really exist?!
    Seem to recall something like that in PHB II (ver 3.5)

Member of D.W.A.T.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast