Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevon View Post
    Delete characters? Force renames? Christ, pick a new name you damn fool!

What a ****ing stupid idea, if someone comes back after a long break to find everything was ****ing deleted because of some dumb ass idea like this one was implemented, they'd quit and word would spread like fire. NObody would come back to this game if Turbine purged characters. Just one year? Terrible idea.
    It's not a stupid idea. Paying Customers vs Non-Paying Customers.

You obviously didn't read my posts. I can tell that you are above reproach and way
    to smart for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevon View Post
    Thank you for adding a voice of reason to this bad idea up in the OP.
    So "Official Word" doesn't mean anything when they have "AT THIS TIME" in the Account Management FAQ... And your really late on this thread... Thank GOD you
    put your two cents in... I mean it was really constructive in a immature kinda way..

If I cancel my account or uninstall DDO, is there any guarantee that my characters will not be deleted?

While we cannot guarantee your account status after a prolonged inactive status, we have no plans to remove accounts or characters from our system at this time.

This means that the items, currency and progress earned on the characters on the cancelled account should not be affected by an account cancellation.

If you were to reactivate your account, the characters on the account at the time of cancellation would almost certainly be intact

You will never lose any characters just by uninstalling DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by nbhs275 View Post
    ok, first, im not saying wipe thier accounts, im saying after so many months of inactivity your names should be open to paying customers. You dont pay, you lose the right to hold the name. And Second, why should a trial account have ANYTHING saved after say a month? they havent payed for anything, so they should get nothing.

You do understand that the immense amount of lag is in some parts from the huge amount of dead accounts clogging the servers right? Im willing to bet there are more dead full accounts then active, and probably just as many dead trials.
    Exactly. He only read the beginning of the thread and decided to act immaturely.
    But hay, if DDO ever changes policy "AT THIS TIME".... He can blame me.

I work in the field of DATA Storage. There is always a cost involved. And I bet inactive accounts out number active accounts. Archiving storage costs money too. At some point they Archive it again cause the equipment gets old. Then that information needs to be migrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    Good job waiting 10 pages before weighing in.
    they aren't bound to reply to every ridiculous thread that is made.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by woodspider View Post
    I believe the offical word on this policy is wrong! I left for about 6 months, came back and my name was Kinkaid~Khyber. There is another person who left the game and now there is someone running around with his name. I know for a fact he did not delete his toon.
    its because of the merge whoever had the name less got the server tag added to their name.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I have a favourite name I like to use for my characters, and it seems to me that one should have some opportunity to use it, especially if whoever is currently using that name has NO gender, race, profession, level or guild! I would think this would indicate that whoever is using the name has never logged it in or played it for any significant amount of time. In which case, I should think I (or whoever wants a name of an unlogged in character) should have an opportunity to use this name. Why not?
    Last edited by Amii; 03-20-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Really? I canceled my subscription about 8 months ago and took a break from the game and came back. Should I have to rename my toons?

Most people who cancel their subscriptions do not delete their toons. They are still there as place holders and will always be in case the subscriber re subscribes. That is what has happened with many players in DDO who left for what ever reason was going on for a while and came back when they had more time. It would be suicide for this game to do this as the OP suggests. If you're having trouble naming your 5th drow toon other than Drizzt or what ever, then try something else with a random name generator. Geez.
    Kirwin Hansel - Human Cleric
    Eloric Foecleaver - Dwarven Barbarian

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amii View Post
    I have a favourite name I like to use for my characters, and it seems to me that one should have some opportunity to use it, especially if whoever is currently using that name has NO gender, race, profession, level or guild! I would think this would indicate that whoever is using the name has never logged it in or played it for any significant amount of time. In which case, I should think I (or whoever wants a name of an unlogged in character) should have an opportunity to use this name. Why not?
    The name does not belong to you, it belongs to (if anyone) Turbine.

Why are you so wedded to a particular name?

Default I agree

I had a name stolin from me (if thats even possible). I know the person does not play and would love it back.
    Peace and Love your friend Xalted Vol

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalted Vol View Post
    I had a name stolin from me (if thats even possible).
    It's not possible, so you sort of addressed your own concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalted Vol View Post
    I had a name stolin from me (if thats even possible). I know the person does not play and would love it back.
    How can they steal a name from you if you never had it in the first place? They chose the name during creation, it was available, therefore it's theirs.
    Kirwin Hansel - Human Cleric
    Eloric Foecleaver - Dwarven Barbarian

Community Member

To the people claiming that there are millions, maybe even billions of available names out there: You're wrong. Plain and simple. There are that many possible combinations of letters, sure, but most of them are nonsense only a platfarmer could love. Names that are pronounceable in voice chat or memorable enough you don't have to look at your own character's stats page to remember how it's spelled are quite a bit more finite.

And thousands, probably tens of thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of them were used three+ years ago and have not been logged into since. That's a huge waste. I support the rename token idea but I'd set the criteria higher...over 2 years of inactivity at least...

I find it much easier to name my newer characters with concepts/ideas rather than actual names these days. Things that actually sound like names AND are still available are getting rather hard to come by. I've never been one to name my characters octosyllabic alphabet soup and I wouldn't want to try to pronounce most of the ones that I've seen running around...and when they aren't elves it looks even more foolish. At least various fantasy lore gives the elves a somewhat plausible reason to be incomprehensibly named.

So says:
    Virie Squichie (sorc, and don't believe the name)
    Disa Vowed (soon to be a FvS with rogue splash)
    Nutin Nu t'Do
    Salesman of Salvation (cleric)
    Zeelawt (paladin)
    Weapono Mass Destruction (sorc, and you wouldn't believe how many variations it took to find an open one)
    ...and others...
    Suggestion to Turbine: Have new character slots open up automatically based on months since account start date.
    Update: EU+Store = close enough. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    You all are welcome to keep discussing this, but I just wanted to put in an "official" word in case anyone is looking for it. We won't ever auction off accounts, delete characters, or change/remove their names due to inactivity.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tarrant again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Get more Aliens quotes into Voice Chat: This makes the "evac" a much more tactical choice, and puts some serious pressure on the rest of the group when your Wizard leaves. "Game over man, game over! Now what the **** are we supposed to do?"

Now that it's literally possible for one person to create hundreds or indeed thousands of names and never play again, I do think this is an issue they ought to address at some point. That being said, personally I'd say the "safe" timer for names from an unused account would have to be at least two years, and probably three, so it's not likely to change any time soon.

Default rights to own paid for property

It was already brought up in court i believe the first to be taken to court for it was WOW or Final Fantasy or SWG

I was playing SWG at the time i heard about it

some player sued one of the three above mentioned companies for deleting there player account information when they stopped playing the game for 2 months and the courts deemed the player the winner in the case because his character was paid for by his subscription and box price.

The only thing you own in a MMO is your character profile and names

the items, currency, and game belongs to the company as ruled by the courts but your online personality was paid for and thus belongs to you.

So long as you don't break the game COC Your have your character protected by law to always be available to you at the same state you left it in for the life of the game. Thus becoming life time banned the game company has the right to eliminate your file.
    Cause for you the game has died.

So legally they cannot make names available again unless the person actually logs on and deletes all there characters. Thus eliminating himself/herself from the game data banks.

I believe it happened in 2001 but you could look it up it might have been later then that maybe 2003.

wish i had the patience or the time to look it up and post it but i don't.
    SITH HAPPENS
    [])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████████
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1 View Post
    drfirewater... thanks for being the voice of reason!

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Just have to say they should never delete names if someone was here before you then its their name and if you cant come up with an orignal name on your own then thats your problem

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RG_Arlyn View Post
    I think that the paying customer is who Turbine should keep happy. If an account has been inactive for over a year, the name should be up for grabs. There were hundreds of names that were maybe used right after release and for those customers that quit after 3-6 months, those names should be up for grabs. If some think that 1 year of inactivity is too short (for those of you that took more than a year off), then up it to 2 years. DDO is more than 2 1/2 years old, so if they did an update to free up the names now, hundreds of names would be free right now. Its not that I dont like to "think" of new and clever names, but com'mon who is the paying customer here. I do like the -1, -2 idea. It happens when a toon is transferred from one server to another and the name is already taken, so its not an impossible coding feat to accomplish.
    No MMO has ever done this.

No MMO will ever do this.

It is a horrible business decision. You already are a paying customer meaning Turbine would gain nothing from this decision. And yet the expected loss is blatantly obvious -- innactive accounts would be far less likely to be activated.

Worst case scenario under the current situation: 1 or 2 extremely immature people quit because they can't name their new char the name they want.

Edit to add: Is it realy that hard to come up with a name? Do these suggestions come from people who want a particular (common) name, but it's taken? Or is it that you find yourself trying 20-30 names before finding one not taken?

I made a WF yesterday and was pleased to find my 1st choice not yet taken on Khyber: Bebot

Community Member

Default Tempest in a Teapot

Four years later, and good names can still be found.

Granted, I have learned to research names before creating a new toon, so I have a list ready. There are so many names that have been listed as Archived.

While this can add a little frustration to the process, it also provides a sense of security and permanence.

I am glad Turbine preserves these identities.

Thank you.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Talking lol

Lol

2016 DDO Players Council eris2323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderone View Post
    On Cancelled Subscriptions, Toon Names should become Available at some point!

I don't see why people that cancel subscriptions should have non-ending rights to Toon Names. I believe they should have a grace period of lets say 6 months.
    I don't believe they become available (but I've been wrong before).

After six months, the names can be taken by (AHEM) PAYING CUSTOMERS.

I pay to play the game and yet people that cancel can keep their rights to TOON NAMES.

I would even think that a some point of inactivity, DDO should delete their Toons.
    Maybe a year?
    No.

These are all very bad ideas.

Learn to live with the fact that someone, somewhere, has the name you want; and choose a new one.

You can always spell it "Driizzzzt"

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast