Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GenCon 09

Default GenCon 09

Since Phoenixfire is prolly still dealing with her new gamer-to-be, I'll kick the ball off the ledge this year....

Gen Con 09!

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/default.aspx

Aug 13-16 this year.

(Guess who's NOT settling for a hotel on the opposite side of town this year?)
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 11-09-2008 at 07:59 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member UnderwearModel's Avatar

Default Can you give a rough idea on how much it costs?

It looks like you have attended one of these before.

1. I need to register to get a badge? And the badge allows me to do what? Does that just show I am legally registered for the convention so let me through the door to look at stuff to buy?

2. I need to buy tickets? And just what can I do with the tickets to the Magic Kingdom?

I went to the website but found it horribly lacking in easy to get information on cost. Which usually means, if you have to ask you cannot afford it.

I do not care about travel, hotel, and food costs. That is a known cost.
    Last edited by UnderwearModel; 12-01-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwearModel View Post
    It looks like you have attended one of these before.

1. I need to register to get a badge? And the badge allows me to do what? Does that just show I am legally registered for the convention so let me through the door to look at stuff to buy?

2. I need to buy tickets? And just what can I do with the tickets to the Magic Kingdom?

I went to the website but found it horribly lacking in easy to get information on cost. Which usually means, if you have to ask you cannot afford it.

I do not care about travel, hotel, and food costs. That is a known cost.

Heh. Acually 'been there' once, but dreamed of it for decades.

Their site will get more robust once we get on into the year. 4-day badge cost.... about $60 IIRC. That gets you access to everything in the Con - the seminars, workshops, artist's area, etc. There are sometimes tickets needed for specific events/games, but any cost there is usually a buck or so. (workshops may be a little more when there are supplies given out.)

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/atte...wtogencon.aspx

Hopefully some of the more experienced Con vets will pop in and throw in some filler details, too.

Thumbs up Shaamis will be there

Shaamis will be there for the DDO party once again!

I don't know if I am going to the actual convention (been there a total of 7 occasions previously, as well as a full-time volunteer, and a member of Virtual Gencon from 1996-1998), but with the advent of the Living Forgotten Realms Campaign run by the RPGA, I might decide to go to the actual convention.

I would like to run another Khyber give-away event, or even a game-wide give-away, just need to mull over it with some dark ale......

The last two years at the DDO party have been AWESOME, and I totally recommend going to it!
    Shaamis is REBORN!

Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaamis View Post
    Shaamis will be there for the DDO party once again!

I don't know if I am going to the actual convention (been there a total of 7 occasions previously, as well as a full-time volunteer, and a member of Virtual Gencon from 1996-1998), but with the advent of the Living Forgotten Realms Campaign run by the RPGA, I might decide to go to the actual convention.

I would like to run another Khyber give-away event, or even a game-wide give-away, just need to mull over it with some dark ale......

The last two years at the DDO party have been AWESOME, and I totally recommend going to it!
    Yeah, I was talking to a LOTRO couple and totally forgot about ya'll back there doing the drawing thing. (Having started a couple hours early over at the Claddagh didn't help...)

Site is updated, including the registration dates/costs:

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/atte...istration.aspx

I have had a couple of inquiries, asking what is up Shaamis' Monk sleeves for this years Turbine Gencon Party......

I have a few ideas, but I'd like to know from those planning on attending, what they would like to see?

Keep in mind: it takes a LOT of Guinness for Shaamis to start dancing in his famous "Knickers and Lampshade" dancing outfit!

Try to get THAT image out of your head!

<GULP>
    Shaamis is REBORN!

Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!!

I have had a couple of inquiries, asking what is up Shaamis' Monk sleeves for this years Turbine Gencon Party......

I have a few ideas, but I'd like to know from those planning on attending, what they would like to see?

Keep in mind: it takes a LOT of Guinness for Shaamis to start dancing in his famous "Knickers and Lampshade" dancing outfit!

<GULP>

I hear last years festivities went over quite well, even if *some* of us were a little too clouded to remember to get involved. I'd start with that and see where it runs to.

...oh, and maybe for Rowan to show up on time this year.

Post Copy THIS to your Itenary and LIKE IT!

A Comprehensive Primer on Gen Con 2009 and Gen Con in general.

Gen Con starts with a registration badge. There are several types, and the 4-day full access as a participant is about $60-75 [now listing $68 at the time of this posting] before early bird/pre-registration ends [at the door pricing listed as $78 at the time of this posting.] Note: Family Fun passes and Sunday 1 day passes [both $28] ONLY are available on-site when the convention "opens" and is "running." VIG costs are $500 pre-reg and not available on-site. What the [bleep] are THOSE last two things?

Family Fun Day
    The Family Fun Day takes place on Sunday and includes games and auxiliary events for the whole family to enjoy. A special booth will be set up near the Registration area where families can purchase badges and event tickets, register their information and receive wristbands for any children 8 and under, and gather information on the Family Fun Pavilion (which is open all weekend) and what family events are taking place. More information on the Family Fun Program will be coming soon!

Very Important Gamer (VIG)

From January 1-31, 2009, current VIGs can pre-purchase their 2009 VIG Packets for the regular price of $500 and can register up to 2 friends and family members for the Program if desired. Any open slots will become available to the general public when Badge Pre-Registration opens on February 1, 2009.
    If you are interested in joining this exclusive program, check out the VIG page for more information. Please note VIG packages will only be available during the pre-registration period and will not be sold on-site.
    (Let's just say for the link lazy that VIG covers your 4 day registration, qualifies for one GUARANTEED hotel room reservation per VIG Package, additional VIG Badges for friends and family [up to 3 $100 each], pre-convention time visiting the exibit hall Thursday, free coupons, generic game tickets, a special lounge with free drinks and (I kid you not) a game conceriage', special event admissions, Raffles, more swag, and more! This is like the "Whale" package in Las Vegas with fewer ammenities and lower gambling costs, like zero So just click the darn link already!)

Badges however, do NOT cover most games, some seminars, certain events (Masquerade ball, mixer events, etc,) and live action type gaming (think running around in an actual dungeon with things you do in real time as an example) which can range from as little as $2 dollars (and often paid with registered or only use "generic tickets," more on that later,) up to $10 or (much) more. VIG may have exceptions to certain events like the ball and mixer for example.
    You MUST have bought a badge (day, full event or VIG) to buy regular event [not family fun day] tickets, no exceptions.

Now it gets a little tricky here, so I'll try to make sure this is clear.

Most places in the Midwest and east coast (among other places in the US) charge BOTH an admission cost AND a per game event cost. Gen Con also allows about 1/2 to 3/4 of event tickets to be sold as pre-bought and the remainder released for on sight purchase. This means like a concert, the tickets are for a SPECIFIC event and CAN sell out. However, Generic Tickets ($2 each) CAN be used as a "stand by" option for no-shows. So yes, certain events at certain time periods (known as slots) DO sell out, BUT if a group forms and a game master (or DM) is available AND there is no ticket registered person filling up the maximum number for the game event, you may take their place as a generic ticket holder (with enough $2 tickets to pay for the event cost) and they are a no-show. Obviously this is why it is asked you show up BEFORE marshaling/mustering/putting players with a game judge begins.

Key Dates:

• Badge Pre-Registration begins February 1, 2009 at 12:00 pm (ET).
    • Event Pre-Registration begins April 19, 2009 at 12:00 pm (EST).
    • Both Badge and Event Pre-Registration will end at 11:59 pm (EST) on June 27, 2009.
    Pre-registration will only be available on-line through the registration system. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express for payment. Checks and Money Orders are not accepted at any time. An admissions tax will be charged for all on-site badge purchases.
    See, no worry if not a native, you'll be taxed like you had to pay some sales tax also!

And BTW, I HIGHLY suggest you prereg for ANY "Living" RPGA event (especially the newest ones) as they sell out FAST. Even the "older" events have loyal followings so be prepared!

(This coming from what used to be a RPGA Paragon level player and Grand Master level [didn't make it before the conversion] Judge in RPGA rankings, including being invited to Gen Con to play in some of the finals....one day I'll win SOMETHING )

Hotels on average, well, here's what they said:
    Rates start as low as $85 per night at outlying properties and $136 per night at downtown hotels, subject to hotel choice, room occupancy, and remaining availability. Purchase of any Gen Con badge will admit attendees to the Gen Con housing portal, where more information about hotel rates and available inventory may be accessed.
    What I've seen are they usually (but all of this may vary) start at the "city" boondocks about $85 per double-occupancy per night, $105 for midway convention rate, and that "$136" at "downtown" hotels, but expect Gen con to have a range anywhere from two digits up to...I've seen "discount" con rates for $300 dollars/night from the offering hotel. Most of them however do allow up to four guests, some places are actually suites instead of rooms, and we certainly know about how gamers sometimes "squat" more in a room to anybody with a sleeping bag or blanket

The Gen con hotel system does a pre-reg "dormitory style" selection where they take the city hotels and offer a personal selection ranking of choice along with listed number of nights, if extensions are allowed and often some "proof of payment" option on the form such as a major CC. Cancellations before the end of the first week of August are charged a $50 fee (thus the CC) and after that, one room's convention listed night rate plus tax.

Then, just like college, you gotta send it in ASAP if you want a chance at your selection. Please note the following:
    Once you pay for your badge, Exhibit Hall space or Art Show table you will receive an email with the appropriate housing code and instructions on how to book your reservation. Once you receive the code, your reservations can be made on-line through the Passkey website or by contacting the Indianapolis Conventions Visitors Bureau’s (ICVA) housing department at (317) 684-2573.
    Q: I’ve tried to find rooms in a specific hotel and it’s not showing up in Passkey?
    It’s likely that the rooms we have secured at that particular hotel are sold out. Passkey will only show rooms that are still available.
    And unlike college, many of the vendors DO seem to take the majority of spaces beforehand and you have to be quick and lucky for the best spots, and be prepared for shuttling or cabs or renting a vehicle (or driving if close/dedicated enough.)

I think that covered (as a primer to) Gen Con (Midwest,) but DO go to their site now for more detailed information.

Links for the main page are here:
    http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/default.aspx

And, of course, play your heart out with fellow enthusiasts in a community that understands your passion. What you'll experience at Gen Con Indy is nothing short of IT. You know, whatever "It" is for you? This is IT! Get ready to get there.
    (IT, when did Gen Con go Information Technology? )

And questions you thought (and didn't think) to ask are here:
    http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/attendees/faq.aspx

And yet even MORE information, especially Convention and Hotel Protocol (reservations) are here:
    http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/atte...istration.aspx

Special note to Handicapped people: please read the FAQ and Housing links above VERY carefully as the disabled methods of registration for convention and hotels differ (providing greater ease and benefit for those disabled, and I being a volunteer to one in several Gen Cons, can personally vouch to this.) As a courtesy, I have re-printed the FAQ information below:

Q: What type of aid to do you offer to disabled patrons?
    Gen Con has a Disability Services booth on-site to service anyone who is disabled. Attendees visiting this booth can purchase badge and event tickets there or have their Will Call packet(s) collected from Will Call and brought to them at this location.
    When visiting the Disability Services booth you will be issued a wrist band to wear throughout the duration of the show. This will notify staff that you have a disability and qualify for special assistance such as expedited admission (bypassing lines) or reserved seating areas for specific events. Simply speak with anyone wearing a staff shirt to request assistance particular to your needs.
    Wheelchair loans are available in limited quantities through the convention center. You may contact the convention center at (317) 262-3400 to speak with someone about wheelchair availability. For additional information regarding special needs services offered through the convention center, click here.

Q: I need to reserve a handicap accessible room and I do not see accommodates available in Passkey. How do I book an accessible room?
    Handicap accessible rooms are segregated and kept out of the regular housing blocks. In order to reserve one of the rooms you will need to contact the ICVA’s housing bureau at (317) 684-2573. You will need to provide them with the housing code to secure a room and check availability.
    The above is assuming a novice is doing this Gen Con for the first time. Feel free to ignore or update whatever you wish according to veteran knowledge of the convention and con scene in general.

Finally, Ratty, (if you are a DDO player,) I hope you make it from across the pond this year with your elephant hat on head! (If you ever played older Gen Con or went to Gen con UK you know who he is.)

Hope that helps y'all. Thought I'd dish out some truth instead of seek it this time
    Last edited by query; 01-07-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Be careful what you wish for, what you say is best; for sometimes what you seek is found, not at the end of the quest.
    I AM, -- the truthseeker

Default Well, how about starting with a display of moves

to the tune of "Kung Fu Fighting?"

We'll go on from there based on the amount of Guinness/Black and Tan's consumed...on both sides

<GULP>

Be careful what you wish for, what you say is best; for sometimes what you seek is found, not at the end of the quest.
    I AM, -- the truthseeker

/Pokes her head into her favorite reoccurring thread...

So I have child care taken care of and now just need to see if I can afford it. Because my knees have gotten worse this means a hotel connected to the Con is a must for me (or at least on that block.) I will need roommates too since as usual my hubby refuses to go...
    forums.ddo.com : the comedic gift that keeps on giving!

Quote Originally Posted by Deaths Ward
    Then by the magic of the mighty ones, someone from Turbine swung the +5 Banishing Banhammer of Greater Cheating A**hole Bane and scored a Nat. 20.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire31 View Post
    /Pokes her head into her favorite reoccurring thread...

So I have child care taken care of and now just need to see if I can afford it. Because my knees have gotten worse this means a hotel connected to the Con is a must for me (or at least on that block.) I will need roommates too since as usual my hubby refuses to go...
    Hiya 'Fire! ......*this was a wavey gif, but IMG code is off.*

*mumbles* Tooked ya long enough to show up...

Paying off my Gen-Con credit card again - even getting it refaced (it's a Cap One card, putting one of my D&D pix on it.) Definitely gonna splurge for a closer room this year, too - that drive all the way across town was a bugger. Although, it did eventually offer me the opportunity to see most all of Indy, by the time I got lost a few times.

Maybe the Claddagh will let me flop in their attic for a few days. Hmmm...

Last edited by cdbd3rd; 01-18-2009 at 06:33 PM.

New Registration system for Gen-Con.

Per their newsletter:

Gen Con Announces a New Registration System

Gen Con was given an opportunity on January 5th for the development of a new registration system. This is a brand new,
    adaptable system that promises to be flexible and agile enough to grow with us rather than against us. Gone are the days
    of the system crashing, difficulty searching events and slow performance. While we will be developing the system as we
    go, we strongly feel the pros far outweigh the cons. You spoke, we listened, and now we all have a new registration system.

What does this mean to you? Well, it means you will need to create a new account in the new system by going to
    registration.gencon.com
    , starting next week.

Also, please note that Badge Registration has been pushed to Sunday,
    February 15th at 12:00 pm (ET) and Hotel Registration will go live on Tuesday, February 17th at 12:00 pm (ET), due
    to the Monday holiday.
    More information on account creation and registration will be coming soon!

We thank you in advance for your patience and apologize for the short notice of this announcement. We are very much
    aware of what this type of development schedule means, and there will undoubtedly be some hiccups along the way. We
    know you will have lots of questions; we will keep you posted as developments arise.

We are very excited about this opportunity and know you will be too!

Community Member darthmaul121783's Avatar

i just registered what was the date on the latter was it more then a week ago?

Quote Originally Posted by darthmaul121783 View Post
    i just registered what was the date on the latter was it more then a week ago?

Nope, got the newsletter today. I saw the reg forms active, too, but dunno if they've yet to change the system or if it's live already for the folks wanting to submit events (which starts today).

ok thanks will see in a week

the new registration is up everyone

they bumped pre-reg out to the 15th, and hotel reg out to the 17th so not so big of a deal.
    This space intentionally left mostly blank.

Community Member Krysta_Shadowvol's Avatar

Default I'll be there

Hubby and I will be attending again this year.

We look forward to the 5 days to ourselves. Yeah no kids.
    "Ask directions from a genie In a bottle of Jim Beam and she lies to you"

Got my badge (second badge...so close to being first...Valentines present lol) and gettin my room today.....WOOHOO
    Last edited by PhoenixFire31; 02-17-2009 at 06:09 AM.
    forums.ddo.com : the comedic gift that keeps on giving!

Quote Originally Posted by Deaths Ward
    Then by the magic of the mighty ones, someone from Turbine swung the +5 Banishing Banhammer of Greater Cheating A**hole Bane and scored a Nat. 20.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast