Page 116 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2375

10m/6r/1d right now to get the monk past life then I'll TR again but not sure if I can do yet another TR after that...so it might be a final life. Now I have to decide, how I want to play it. I'll have 2 rogue and 1 monk PL (my 2 favorite classes) and I really enjoyed both Assassin and Acrobat. If I go Assassin it will probably be pure, Acrobat will definitely multi with Monk and Druid.

My current life is tearing things up. The damage is crazy (Henshin maxed, Half-Orc racials, Acrobat speed enhancements) and I always seem to lead the kill count even when a couple levels behind my party. Unfortunately I pull aggro like nobody's business (could be all that cleave/great cleave goodness.) Then new itemization along with the enhancement pass has really changed things. So many fun options now.

Community Member

I'm tihinking of going with a halfling dex build rogue10/mon7/druid3. Halfling to rejuvenate an old discarded character, dex build because it plays to the strength of the halfling. Rogue 10 provides enough skill point to keep all the trap and sneak skills maxed as well as bluff and concentration. Druid 3 to unlock Fatal Harrier, the rest monk for all the monky goodness. Is that a good class split?

I'm thinking of going for Whirlwind Attack for that juicy 4{W] to every enemy around me. Alternately I could go with PA/Cleave/Greate Cleave. In either event THF lline is out of the question due to strength pre-reqs. Is Whirlwind Attack a good option for a dex build?

I built a test character on a Shadar-kai base and was unimpressed with the damage output. Dex started at 20, all but one levelup into dex, +2 dex from enhancements. Even poorly geared it did a nice job of damage avoidance, though. Any suggestions on how to increase DPS on a dex build for a solo character?

Quote Originally Posted by wonko_the_sane View Post
    Any suggestions on how to increase DPS on a dex build for a solo character?
    Sneak attack is your friend. I'd look for any way I could to improve my sneak attack and to make sure I continuously got sneak attacks. Such as:
    Bluff
    Deception/Improved Deception item and/or weapon
    More sneak attack dice from enhancements.
    More rogue levels

It's harder to get sneak attack when soloing, but bluff and deception can make a big difference.

Sounds like a neat idea. I'd hate to give up the the extra 2D6 SA from 13 rogue and have to choose between opportunist and improved evasion, but fatal harrier on top of acrobat and monk attack speed enhancements does seem compelling. Good luck.
    Last edited by PurpleTimb; 09-05-2013 at 03:24 PM.

I'm not sure Fatal Harrier is long-term useful, but that's me.

If it's a choice between Improved Evasion and Opportunist, Opportunist wins every time for me. Good enough reflex saves (DEX acrobat, with some Monk? Hello?) and you should save against the ones you need to anyway.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonko_the_sane View Post
    I'm tihinking of going with a halfling dex build rogue10/mon7/druid3. Halfling to rejuvenate an old discarded character, dex build because it plays to the strength of the halfling. Rogue 10 provides enough skill point to keep all the trap and sneak skills maxed as well as bluff and concentration. Druid 3 to unlock Fatal Harrier, the rest monk for all the monky goodness. Is that a good class split?
    FH still doesn't stack w/Haste, IIRC, so it's of limited use, IMHO. OTOH, Vengeful Hunter, Doublestrike action boost, and Flight could all be useful. For now I'm sticking w/my 13 / 6 / 1 splits, tho, just because I really want Imp Evasion, Opportunist, and Shadow Veil.
    I'm thinking of going for Whirlwind Attack for that juicy 4{W] to every enemy around me. Alternately I could go with PA/Cleave/Greate Cleave. In either event THF lline is out of the question due to strength pre-reqs. Is Whirlwind Attack a good option for a dex build?
    Whirlwind (still) sucks and isn't worth the 5-feat investment. PA/CL/GC is still the way to go, IMHO, even (perhaps especially) on a DEX build. Base STR 11 + 2 tome would work, except you have to delay feats until after the tome is applied.

Community Member

Bluff kinda sucks, it's got a 15 second cooldown and only lasts for 4 seconds, in that 4 sec window you have to interrupt with a cleave or something or you only get maybe one hit in. I'd definitely go for rog 12 at least though for immunity to knockdowns as a dex build, I went 12/6/2 rog/mnk/pally for mine and and it's ok so far, need to hit cap and gear up to see how things are then though.

One question I have, I know whirlwind charges up blitz but what about sap or hamstring?
    Last edited by Ayseifn; 09-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayseifn View Post
    Bluff kinda sucks, it's got a 15 second cooldown and only lasts for 4 seconds, in that 4 sec window you have to interrupt with a cleave or something or you only get maybe one hit in. I'd definitely go for rog 12 at least though for immunity to knockdowns as a dex build, I went 12/6/2 rog/mnk/pally for mine and and it's ok so far, need to hit cap and gear up to see how things are then though.

One question I have, I know whirlwind charges up blitz but what about sap or hamstring?
    I 100% disagree with your statement that bluff is no good.
    On top of the massive damage increase you gain from getting your sneak die the defensive benifits from getting an enemy to turn around is huge.
    With full attack speed and double strike options bluff is so good it is crazy good. My acrobat would be half the beater she is without bluff.

Default My acrobat experiment

Originally a 13rogue/6fighter/1barb (didn't have monk back then when I created her), decided to change the 1 barb for 1 ranger to try and get a working manyshot...and kind of pulled it, any comments/bashing/suggestions appreciated:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Halfling Female
    (6 Fighter \ 13 Rogue \ 1 Ranger) 
    Hit Points: 248
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 16\16\21\26\26
    Fortitude: 15
    Reflex: 17
    Will: 7

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    25
    Dexterity            14                    18
    Constitution         14                    17
    Intelligence         13                    16
    Wisdom                8                    11
    Charisma              9                    13

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 14

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               2                     4
    Bluff                -1                     1
    Concentration         2                     3
    Diplomacy            -1                     1
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle               -1                     1
    Heal                 -1                     0
    Hide                  2                     8
    Intimidate           -1                     1
    Jump                  3                     9
    Listen               -1                     2
    Move Silently         2                     6
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                    n/a
    Repair                1                     3
    Search                1                     3
    Spot                 -1                     0
    Swim                  3                     7
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device     n/a                    n/a

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Point Blank Shot

Level 3 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 4 (Fighter)
    Ability Raise: STR
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Rapid Shot

Level 5 (Rogue)

Level 6 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 7 (Rogue)

Level 8 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Precise Shot

Level 9 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 10 (Fighter)

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons

Level 13 (Rogue)

Level 14 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elf

Level 15 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Manyshot

Level 16 (Rogue)

Level 17 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 18 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 19 (Rogue)

Level 20 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Opportunist
    Too lazy to add skills but it's the basic, full traps, a bit of sneaking, full umd and bluff, a bit of haggle for the moneys, for my enhancements used a lot on acrobat line (staff line, acrobatics, subtlety, quick strike, haste boost, 1 sweeping strike, 1 staff lunge, full no mercy, vault and both str, all available core abilities), pick enough mechanic to open and get wand and scroll mastery, rest of the points were used between all the ranger pre's, kensai and halfling tree.

Epic stuff: lvl ups in str, overwhelming crit at 21, took skill focus umd at 24 as I didn't know what else to take, another toughness at 26 (current lvl).

Overall I'm having a lot of fun on her, I'm finding it easier to survive EE and fury manyshot is just sick, now feel free to rip appart my build :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
    Yes they do stack, for a total of +8 to hit/ +12 damage. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeetunder View Post
    Woha, they do? I thought enhancements with the same name weren't supposed to stack. This changes everything!
    I, too, avoided points in both for the same reason - tho probly also means it'll change one of these months.

Still, good to know in the mean time.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Default Stick Fighting

My first attempt at making a stick build, and I find myself wondering, does Stick Fighting replace STR damage with DEX or does it add Dex to STR damage? My first reading of it suggested the former, but after reading that the first core ability for ThA (Acrobat) says: "You can also use your Dexterity modifier to hit with Quarterstaves.", this kinda suggests that the both core abilities add rather than replace.

I am looking at a UMD STR build, so if it adds it's definitely worh having, but if it replaces it definitely isn't.

Can anyone help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavman View Post
    My first attempt at making a stick build, and I find myself wondering, does Stick Fighting replace STR damage with DEX or does it add Dex to STR damage? My first reading of it suggested the former, but after reading that the first core ability for ThA (Acrobat) says: "You can also use your Dexterity modifier to hit with Quarterstaves.", this kinda suggests that the both core abilities add rather than replace.
    Wishful thinking, I'm afraid: DEX replaces STR for to-hit & dmg (assuming DEX is higher, natch). AFAIK, the only way to (indirectly) apply more than one stat to dmg is Divine Might, which turns your CHA bonus into an insightful STR bonus.

Community Member

Shame

It seems sad that it is only worthwhile taking core abilities if you are a DEX build.

Still, at least it's neutral in that it takes the higher of STR or DEX. It won't hurt me to take it so I can get other core abilities (I'm looking at Kip up, but probably won't get it). It would have been nicer to get more general bonuses that don't assume that you are building the character a certain way and leave these kind of abilities as optional. It's no biggee though since none of them are prerequisites for anything else on the tree.

If you're playing a mostly-rogue build, you're going to want Imp Sneak Atk (+3D6 SA) as one of your epic feats, which req's base DEX 21. Ideally you have ISA + Overwhelming Crit on a staff build, IMHO, but that's tough to do if you're stat-constrained.

Community Member

I have limited time but I have been working on this build a good bit. I'm using a Shadar-kai to make a lvl 15 version of it, trying out some stuff, deleting and starting over with changes. Repeat to where I am now.

I am currently using a 14 rogue/4mnk/2fghtr. At lvl 15 that is 9rogue/4mnk/2fighter. The 14 rogue levels are for the massive amount of skill points I want. They seem to be sufficient for this. The 4 monk levels are to open up the Staff Training Enhancements to 4th tier. At level 15 I don't have enough action points to take advantage of this, but I will as I level up. The 2 fighter levels are for enough feats to take Cleave and Great Cleave. So I have a string of AOE attacks that have increase damage die: Cleave, Great Cleave, Sweeping Strike, Whirlwind Attack. Lead with the +15% doublestrike enhancement strike (I forget it's name atm), mx in a Touch of Death, some elemental Ki strikes, a Fists of Iron, maybe a trip for zesty flavor and it's a pretty nice attack sequence. Does the job nicely. I had to give up all the Druid stuff, but then Cleave and Great Cleave are very nice.

I am a bit dissapointed in the ranged damage. I don't seem to mount a serious threat. So I'm woking on getting some mild twink gear (Silver Bow, some elemental Xoriat arrows ) and I'll see if that makes a significant difference. If not, maybe I'll give up Whirlwind attack and get Manyshot and 10k stars. Make a testbuild for that and see how it goes.

Thanks for the continued imput, y'all.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
    Yes they do stack, for a total of +8 to hit/ +12 damage. And it is awesome. I have them maxed on the Acrobat tree, but only up to tier 3 on the Henshin tree for +7/+10 and its working correctly.

Wish I could figure in that last Henshin tier, but 20 points is steep when there are so many other rogue/monk/halfling goodies to be had.
    Do you know if Quick Strike stacks too? (I suspect not, as it is an active enhancement, but you never know)

Community Member

The Quick Strikes do not stack. I had hoped that maybe they would but when I checked they did not. So: only take one.

with update 19.2 do the staff enhancements still stack? release notes say enhancements wit the same name from different trees no longer stack
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

Community Member

I suspect not, which is a shame as I have spent the last few days drafting and redrafting my build.. Now I will have to go back to the drawing board.

Most likely, I will drop the Henshin Mystic line altogether. The only thing it really gave me was Staff Training, so perhaps I will pick up more of the Ninja Spy and Racial trees instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavman View Post
    I suspect not, which is a shame as I have spent the last few days drafting and redrafting my build.. Now I will have to go back to the drawing board.

Most likely, I will drop the Henshin Mystic line altogether. The only thing it really gave me was Staff Training, so perhaps I will pick up more of the Ninja Spy and Racial trees instead.
    yeah I ended up going with ninja spy too, losing henshin staff training hurt but extra SA dice makes up for some of it
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

So, it makes sense that Staff Training will no longer stack but has anyone had the opportunity to confirm our suspicions?
    Fellowship of the Bling Ghallanda http://fotbling.fr.yuku.com/
    Shado; DareDelvis; Ottis; Hary Darkness; Tortelvis; Mournfist; Maimonides; DareDelviss; Aeteentee; DareSoulvis; Rambam; Jawill; Snakecobra

Page 116 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119 LastLast