Page 102 of 119 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2375
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by wiglin View Post
    Handwraps took a pretty big nurf with the U5 changes, possibly more than other styles. Its not that handwraps are overpowered, it just the synergy of adding that much sneak attack damage to the fastest attack style. Its the same reason why anything that adds a static number to your damage benefits twf more than thf.

Using handwraps on a rogue and then using haste boost produces alot of damage. I went from never pulling agro using a staff, to having to spam bluff and holding back using handwraps.

Now this is on a halfling, a half-orc with full thf enhancments, 15% glancing blow special effect procs, and 6 or so more strength will do alot better than my halfling with a staff. If I didn't tr my acrobat into an artificer during the bonus xp on lammania I would have liked to test this out and see if it compares to handwraps on my halfling.

Ditto the for the issue where a single monk splash TWF can obliterate undead with the mabar wraps.

More than one DnD edition has had issues trying to hack on unarmed eastern additions to the traditional
    western bits that were much better balanced to each other due to more effort to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by OldAquarian View Post
    Since we are speculating:

Acro I: Staff uses higher of DEX/STR for attack/damage
    Acro II: Adds +1 to crit range and multiplier of staff
    Acro III: You can pole vault, adds 10% speed and another +1 crit range/multiplier

OP enough?
    Opinions:

I: if that will override what's on a named staff, then awesome. But I do think it should have some other benefit to make staffs in particular appealing for someone with just acro I.

II: This may be enough there, but I'm not sure on whether the actual numbers would make it pull forward enough.

III: if by another 10% attack speed (not run speed) then awesome. If by polevault you mean something kind of like abundant step but vertical, then also awesome (for cool nifty utility factor, the rest of what you have there is enough justify the tier I think). Something that could get you untrapped from being surrounded by several, potentially big, monsters. If not I'd still totally be okay another abundant step/wings/wind dance ability with a bit of jump tied in that only functions when you're on a surface (no mid air pole vaults lol).

With those changes that would tempt me to change my acro/kensai build to pure rogue, or make another character just for it. 2d6+6 13-20/x4 Souleater with +30% stacking attack speed? With a neat movement related ability tied in? Provided, other staffs would be 1d6(1d8, 1d10) 15-20/x4.

Now that you mention it, maybe it is a bit OP. But maybe not. I suppose balance checking numbers would have to be run.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Quotation marks are used to indicate that the text inside them is taken from somewhere else, hopefully an official or authoritative source.

It doesn't work to just toss quote marks around something you wrote yourself and then act like it's evidence for your claim.

Acrobat is has significantly more q-staff synergy than the ninja has short sword synergy, that is the point I was trying to make. Somehow my keyboard let me type quotation marks despite not having a degree in game design.

I chose profane since it is bonus type used to give +2 str to the epic souleater. It could be an Exc bonus, but people would complain about not stacking with tod rings. I would be fine an exc bonus though, since I would rather have +2 Con and +2 Str on tod rings.
    It just doesn't sit for flavor was what I was getting at. The staff of the NPC Natt Gann is not where I would expect to find a profane bonus was all.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Default Staff SOS?

In the slim chance that they make a Staff SOS the odds are they will make other weapons (eg. Greataxes, Kopeshes etc) that are just as overpowered.

So if we do get the staff sos at whatever date, will it still be worth it at the time? Like in comparision to the other weapons? Or will the fact that the field just got leveled on the weapon side allow the greater swing speed to become better than the rest?
    (Not trying to flame, just asking for disscussions sake)

Azreylia, my Staff Acrobat, is finally capped

Yay me
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Community Member

There's another small U11 change that's sort of relevant: Rogues are getting Wand/Scroll mastery enhancements. First rank should be pretty much mandatory; 25% healing amp for 1 AP. I'll probably drop Imp/Rec II for it and use the remaining 3 AP for third rank Versatility or something.

Oh, and boy am I happy I went Human now xD

Quote Originally Posted by ElbionTcob View Post
    In the slim chance that they make a Staff SOS the odds are they will make other weapons (eg. Greataxes, Kopeshes etc) that are just as overpowered.

So if we do get the staff sos at whatever date, will it still be worth it at the time? Like in comparision to the other weapons? Or will the fact that the field just got leveled on the weapon side allow the greater swing speed to become better than the rest?
    (Not trying to flame, just asking for disscussions sake)
    In a positive note... at least souleater is going to loose its save and become stronger.
    Ghinsuu, Spikey, Preying, , Pyroclastic
    Khyber, Jesters Court

***Your Vip Account Has Been Cancelled***

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arlathen View Post
    Azreylia, my Staff Acrobat, is finally capped

Yay me

Gratz!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenx View Post
    In a positive note... at least souleater is going to loose its save and become stronger.

Link? I saw passing references to this before, but not in the recent lama notes.

Just wondering if I need to blow three tokens to fix it once it gets changed.
    (got impatient staring at all the parts and built it already )

Its not in the Lama notes its a PM chain between Genasi and myself regarding a few staffs.

Since the changes are planned now I hope its ok that I post it, eta is still to be announced... maybe u11 or 12.

Quote: Originally Posted by Genasi

Okay Phenx, keep in mind that as usual I can't really guarantee when this'll go live or anything, but I'll tell you my current thinking (even after talking to other devs) is to go ahead and pull the saving throw off this Epic Trap the Soul effect altogether, in the wake of how mobs in Epic have changed. The effect procs so rarely, Epic mob saves are higher now, and giving it a hitpoint cap of 1000 or whatever would pretty much be an exercise in futility when they only have a little more than twice that on average. I mean, having it work on about 10 mobs per dungeon isn't a huge deal, and it's just a quarterstaff after all. What do you think of that?

Things have been pretty busy over here for U11, particularly with all the other Epic item changes going in, so I haven't gotten to it yet- but thanks for the reminder, Phenx, I'll be trying to get that change in ASAP. I'll be sure to let you know once it's going live.

Hope that sheds a little light. No token cost etc yet...and not in the release notes yet.
    Khyber, Jesters Court

Its not in the Lama notes its a PM chain between Genasi and myself regarding a few staffs. Hope that sheds a little light. No token cost etc yet...and not in the release notes yet.
    It will be fine for trash mobs, but we still need a serious dps staff. Work your skills Phenx and talk Genasi into redoing the staff of nat gann for us. I know you tried before, but don't give up.
    Server: Ghallanda
    Characters: Wigs (FvS) / Wigz (Acrobat/Ninja)
    Guild: Ravensguard

Quote Originally Posted by Diyon View Post
    If by polevault you mean something kind of like abundant step but vertical, then also awesome.
    Polevault would be a alot of fun. Since rogues do not have sp or ki, I would expect to see it use uncanny dodge charges, so it would be limited.

It would need to be a new ability though and not a copy of leap of faith or abundant step. For it to work you would have to be on the ground, so no jumping to vault. The issue with any vertical increase is it may allow for exploits, so as cool as it sounds the vertical couldn't really go higher than are current jump height. It is capped at 40 for a reason. What I could see is a pole vault motion that propelled you a littler further then leap of faith and with more vertical path to get their.

It will be fine for trash mobs, but we still need a serious dps staff. Work your skills Phenx and talk Genasi into redoing the staff of nat gann for us. I know you tried before, but don't give up.
    LOL I will try, but current Gann's staff was a change on the first version already, so prolly not gonna alter. Original thread here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=277750

Honestly forceburst rahls might is one of the best... if it only bypassed dr... LSII is my personal fave.
    Khyber, Jesters Court

Polevault would be a alot of fun. Since rogues do not have sp or ki, I would expect to see it use uncanny dodge charges, so it would be limited.

It would need to be a new ability though and not a copy of leap of faith or abundant step. For it to work you would have to be on the ground, so no jumping to vault. The issue with any vertical increase is it may allow for exploits, so as cool as it sounds the vertical couldn't really go higher than are current jump height. It is capped at 40 for a reason. What I could see is a pole vault motion that propelled you a littler further then leap of faith and with more vertical path to get their.
    Ya, I was thinking about the same thing. Although I'd rather see it with its own set of charges, something like how paladins' smites work.

Something else that might be cool would be an enhanced tumble ability. Something where you tumble forward really fast and can trip things, and enemies can't block you in. Ooo! DC based on your tumble modifier! Making it a passive constant ability might be a bit much. Perhaps an action boost thing of some sort?

Actually scratch that, that would be an AWESOME way to make Showtime into a fun and useful ability. It fits the theme, it would be fun, being "unstoppable" fits perfect for acrobat, and knocking stuff down would be useful. Maybe it would be better as an upgrade to showtime at tier II or III. Either way, I think it should be done!

Community Member

...PM chain between Genasi and myself regarding a few staffs...

Yay!

BTW, even the non-epic version is full of win at level. Just ground Tear of Dhakaan
    into the ground last night and saw tons hobgoblins get eaten, including a lot of the
    little named dudes. Now if only sticks weren't made out of paper mache...

Also, somewhere earlier someone asked if sleet storm was still used in hard/elite,
    and the answer is an annoying yes. They don’t seem to spam it as hard as they used
    to, but it still gets cast.

Honestly forceburst rahls might is one of the best... if it only bypassed dr... LSII is my personal fave.
    And yet, my Dreamspitter is rarely out of my Hands. I went to the trouble of putting Adamatine Ritual 5, and I just love the overal DPS and Utility I get out of the weapon with having Karmic Strikes available. I finally got to equip my Oremi's Necklace at lvl 20, so I'm throwing Ki Strikes/Karmics all over the place.

Point in Case - Elite Coalescence Chamber, 4 Melee's and a Cleric Hireling. "What we gonna do ere?" "Circle the Cube and throw Daggers at it?" No I said... watch this..

Dashed forward, pulled the cube to the entrance, where you are able to just melee the thing while taking no/very little damage. then just hit a series of Karmic Strikes, neg lvlling the thing down until Insta Kill. Job Done. No mindless 'circle-and-strafe' for 15 minutes

Only where it worthwhile for me to Break DR with an appropiately crafted DR/Bane weapon does my Dreamspitter ever leave my hands (Think of a +4 Axiomatic Blessed Cold Iron Staff of Chaotic Outsider Bane in Running with the Devils, or one of the new Xoriat quests, or my +4 Holy Blessed Silver Quarterstaff of Evil Outsider Bane for Arry/Sally/Horoth).

Then again, one day Epic Gianthold or Epic Mindsunder will be released, and my Dreamspitter will get a Red Slot - and By-God-Oh-Yes will I grind out three of them, epic'ced, with Silver/Cold IRon/Adamatine slotted in each of them
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

LOL I will try, but current Gann's staff was a change on the first version already, so prolly not gonna alter. Original thread here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=277750

Lighting strike is probably the best choice since the stacking 20% alacrity is a bonus for things like lighting strike. However 1 level of monk and air-air-air alchemical handwraps will dominate any staff setup. This is why we need a really good signature staff. Acrobats are not bad dps with staffs, but we need an epic staff that is good enough to warrant using staffs over handwraps on a pre that specializes in staffs. Currently that staff does not exist. Alchemical crafting will not solve this issue, because alchemical wraps are also available.

If we need a new epic staff, the one staff to rule them all should be named:

The Big F'n Stick

Default Win

Quote Originally Posted by OldAquarian View Post
    If we need a new epic staff, the one staff to rule them all should be named:

The Big F'n Stick
    Yes, needs more comedy weapons like the Bard lute thing. Do it

Page 102 of 119 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast