Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Want the best Ranger Tempest build (elven)

Hi can someone please give me a Tempest ranger build a good one preferably a dex/str based one but anythign would be nice. i want it to be an elf if possible, thanks guys!

pheonix
    Last edited by Quickiller; 08-20-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Community Member

do you want a str based, or a dex based? They are two different builds.

Well, as a jumping off point, for an elf str/dex build I would recommend you go Ranger 6/Fighter 10 with starting stats of 18 str, 16 dex, and dump the rest into con with a nod to wisdom if you'd like to cast spells right away though not a huge deal. From there keep up your elven sword enhancements and pick up feat: oversized two-weapon fighting at 3rd lvl by dipping into your first fighter lvl. Put all 4 of your ability increases into strength as well as the fighter enhancement line's str. End result, you can rock full plate while slicin' dudes with your s-words. If you have the patience to wait until you can unlock 32 pt build, the better but not the end of the world by any means if you roll a 28 pointer. Hope this helps.

Community Member

Getting the first two elven dragonmarks and possibly extend increases your survivability quite a bit. Especially viable if you take a fighter level or two for extra feats.

I wouldn't make an elven melee character without the displacement dragonmarks, not that I would personally make an elven melee. You want tempest which requires at least 6 levels of ranger and in order to get tempest and the dragon marks you are going to need to splash some fighter or monk levels in order to get all the feats. I would go with an 11 ranger/4 fighter/ 1 monk build or a 13 ranger/2 monk/1 fighter build something like that.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I wouldn't make an elven melee character without the displacement dragonmarks, not that I would personally make an elven melee. You want tempest which requires at least 6 levels of ranger and in order to get tempest and the dragon marks you are going to need to splash some fighter or monk levels in order to get all the feats. I would go with an 11 ranger/4 fighter/ 1 monk build or a 13 ranger/2 monk/1 fighter build something like that.
    personally i'd go 11/3/2 Ranger/Monk/Fighter dual-wielding Kamas but since he's going Elf, 12/3/1 Ranger/Fighter/Monk for full Barkskin
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    personally i'd go 11/3/2 Ranger/Monk/Fighter dual-wielding Kamas but since he's going Elf, 12/3/1 Ranger/Fighter/Monk for full Barkskin
    Hold up no kamas, but rather rapiers all the way... I thought some more on this and I would go with 12 ranger 2 monk 2 fighter that way you get four bonus feats and still have full barkskin..
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Hold up no kamas, but rather rapiers all the way... I thought some more on this and I would go with 12 ranger 2 monk 2 fighter that way you get four bonus feats and still have full barkskin..
    lol, everyone has a thing against kamas :P
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

lol, everyone has a thing against kamas :P
    Yes because kamas (20 x2 crit range) are inferior to the rapier (18-20 x2 crit range) and in fact kamas are just about the worst weapon in ddo..

Community Member

This is my exact ranger build, he's halfling. I'm extremely pleased with it so far.

Once level 20 hits I will probably take the rest ranger levels, but I might take 2 ranger levels and 2 more fighter levels. Not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    This is my exact ranger build, he's halfling. I'm extremely pleased with it so far.

Once level 20 hits I will probably take the rest ranger levels, but I might take 2 ranger levels and 2 more fighter levels. Not sure yet.
    I think I argued with you on your thread about your level breakdown. The reason why this situation is different then your build is the OP wants to go elf and if you go elf you pretty much should find a way to get the displacement dragonmarks which are really the only reason to go elf melee currently so hence I recommend the 2 fighter and 2 monk levels for the feats..

Community Member

I think I argued with you on your thread about your level breakdown. The reason why this situation is different then your build is the OP wants to go elf and if you go elf you pretty much should find a way to get the displacement dragonmarks which are really the only reason to go elf melee currently so hence I recommend the 2 fighter and 2 monk levels for the feats..
    Indeed, but regardless of the elf marks the feats are useful to any race.

Yes because kamas (20 x2 crit range) are inferior to the rapier (18-20 x2 crit range) and in fact kamas are just about the worst weapon in ddo..
    yet Kamas are the only dual-able weapon for a monk and it is slashing so that calls for dual vorpal
    besides, if you go dual kama when you splash a monk, you get to use elemental stances as well as ki strikes for a little bonus damage =P

then again, i think differently from most ppl, so meh~

yet Kamas are the only dual-able weapon for a monk and it is slashing so that calls for dual vorpal
    besides, if you go dual kama when you splash a monk, you get to use elemental stances as well as ki strikes for a little bonus damage =P

Which is less dps even with the ki strikes then the rapiers so no kamas.

Community Member

it really only makes sense for a monk splash ranger to use kamas exclusively to vorpal. This is because flurry of blows can be used to up your BAB for the monk levels to full, for that extra to confirm the crit.

That's about the only reason to use a kama for this type of build.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    it really only makes sense for a monk splash ranger to use kamas exclusively to vorpal. This is because flurry of blows can be used to up your BAB for the monk levels to full, for that extra to confirm the crit.

That's about the only reason to use a kama for this type of build.
    Good point. For vorpalling switch to kamas..

The first thing I would do is pick up a Monk level and a couple of kam...

I have a level 10 drow ranger, I would have to say he is a dex build (dex bonus is +8). Is it too late to take some monk or fighter levels to be a tempest build?
    Liamfrancais- Human Pally 16 (Mythical), Balto-Drow Sorc 16 (Mythical), Baltaz-Drow Rgr 16 (Forgotten Legion), Adarforged-WF Barb 16 (Mythical), Bringit-Dwarf FTR/barb 12/4 (Just Me), Zudomon-Elf wiz 15 (Twisted Fate), Rudadonna-H clr 16 (Mythical)

Default not a ranger

i do not consider this build to be a ranger

anyway, 12 ranger/4 fighter is a good breakdown for an elf

dm's are great for elven melee

IMO str-based is far superior to dex-based for a tempest

i have a capped elven tempest 12 ranger/4 fighter with 32 str, 30 dex & over 350 hitpoints

with displacement, she is very survivable & is also a lot of fun to play while dual-wielding longswords/rapiers

later

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmaal View Post
    Well, as a jumping off point, for an elf str/dex build I would recommend you go Ranger 6/Fighter 10 with starting stats of 18 str, 16 dex, and dump the rest into con with a nod to wisdom if you'd like to cast spells right away though not a huge deal. From there keep up your elven sword enhancements and pick up feat: oversized two-weapon fighting at 3rd lvl by dipping into your first fighter lvl. Put all 4 of your ability increases into strength as well as the fighter enhancement line's str. End result, you can rock full plate while slicin' dudes with your s-words. If you have the patience to wait until you can unlock 32 pt build, the better but not the end of the world by any means if you roll a 28 pointer. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by CSFurious; 09-02-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liamfrancais View Post
    I have a level 10 drow ranger, I would have to say he is a dex build (dex bonus is +8). Is it too late to take some monk or fighter levels to be a tempest build?
    no. take monk next get dodge as class bonus, then take two fighter and take mobility and spring attack, and there ya go all the tempest prereqs with three levels to spare still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast