Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ask Gornn: Your weekly Khyberian Advice Column

You know everyone, I've seen a lot of acrimony on the forums of late. And being that everyone loves me (see this thread http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=155204) I wanted to help. Think of me as the Dwarven Ann Landers.

A couple rules.

1) Please send questions to me via forum PM.

2) Please tell me if you want your name revealed as the questioner. If you don't, I'll put the body of the question in the post, but I will omit your name.

3) I will try and respond as quickly as I can, but make no guarantees of how frequently I can update this.

4) I know the saying is 'there are no stupid questions...' I think you all know where I'm going with this...

The questions can be about anything. Real life, the game, guild stuff. Whatever.

I reserve the right to add rules where appropriate.

Your friend,

Gornn Landers.
    Gornn 3:16 says: Gornn just hugged yo' @$$!
    Ask Gornn! http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=156209
    Ask Gornn! archives http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Categ..._Gornn_Archive
    "It's only elitist if you're not actually better than everyone else."

reserved

reserved.

reservation for one

If you're The Dwarven Ann Landers and you truely are a dwarf, then your avatar is the ugliest dwarf I've ever seen.

We've got our first question!

It goes as follows:

Dear Gornn,

Many people have annoying voices, personalities, and scratchy mics...*not even breaching into the push to talk ordeal*. Whats the appropriate ettiquitte to follow when you squelch them? Should I send them a tell first saying I hate their voice and cya never?
    And how long should I keep them on my ignore list before I give them a 2nd chance... as its getting huge.

Yours truly,

Bloody Ears in the Bogwater Tavern

I wrote back:

Dear Bloody Ears,

It's fair to say that everyone has issues with voicechat. Sometimes a scratchy connection, sometimes a partymate thats talking so loud that you need to turn your voice volume all the way down so that it doesn't feel like their voice is doing 6d6 of Sneak damage straight into your brain. That of course has the side effect of you not being able to hear anyone else in the party other than the one person, because now their loud voice is normal, and everyone else's normal voice is quiet.

I think a polite tell asking 'do you need any help with your audio? on my end it sounds like you're having some trouble,' then go on to say what the problem is. If they ignore you, ask in party chat and see if anyone else is noticing the same things you are. Perhaps everyone chiming in about the person's audio might help convince them to check their settings.

And if they don't, perhaps it's something on your end? Try jiggling your cords, and swirl your mic over your speakers three times saying "this is not annoying, this is not annoying." That might work if the preceding suggestions fail.

As to your second question, I think a month is a fair amount of time in the penalty box. If you remove them from the penalty box, point out their bad settings again, and once again they ignore you, I'd suggest for both of your playing enjoyment, that you pop the person back in the box, and feed the key to your nearest Gelatinous Cube.

Best,

Gornn
    Last edited by Gornn; 08-18-2008 at 09:07 PM.

i vote this totw!!!!

i dun like to rant but some can be so thick they think they are always right (even when numbers, stats, etc says otherwise). this serves as a good platform to highlight to people in a easy going way what is "socially acceptable" and what is not
    If you want to know why...

Thats me!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    i vote this totw!!!!

i dun like to rant but some can be so thick they think they are always right (even when numbers, stats, etc says otherwise). this serves as a good platform to highlight to people in a easy going way what is "socially acceptable" and what is not

***!? Projection?
    -----------------------------------
    aka Amabel, Milvus, Metella, Gracchus, Pyroclastik, Anil, Cryogenic, Arabell, Sallust, Initium, Concentric, Llebara, Gingerspyce, Putana, Erestem
    Phoenix Crusaders - Khyber

hmmm thought this thread was about gornns advice....?
    Riedra(RIP): Joeyjojo(Src16), Joeyjo(Clr16) Joeybot(Brb15/Ftr1), Shabado(Clr16), Shabs(Rng16), Shabadoo(Src15)

2014 DDO Players Council April_Kinslayer's Avatar

Gornn,

How do we make love and not war on the forums?
    Formerly on Reidra, now on Khyber.
    Ahzinna Kinslayer
    Jhakhan Kinslayer
    April Kinslayer
    Mekhan Kinslayer

No man is more noble than the cause he fights

Well Gornn,

It seems you have a perfect chance to offer your wisdom here, and settl ethis little dispute that seems to have dropped in your lap!

I just wished it would have happend in my "Ask Shaamis!" (c)(tm) thread!

Time to shine my friend!
    Shaamis is REBORN!

Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!!

and by the way, i think nestor is the best role player on the server - gornn following in 2nd...

*squish*splash*squish* The_Mighty_Cube's Avatar

Advice from the Cube: everyone in here needs to settle down, I've more or less the bottom-less pit when it comes to my tummy being filled... *picks train up, sets it back on tracks*

Dear Gornn,

When forming my quest groups, I'll sometimes get a loot item that I'm really not sure about. Another group member will get really excited about it, and offer up a trade. Now is it considered bad manners to go and look up some information about the item before I do my trade? I feel bad about making them wait for me to do some research, but I also don't want to accidentally trade away the equivalent of a rare Ming vase by mistake. I also find it's difficult to suppress the urge to just devour them whole. What advice do you have to avoid misunderstandings and accidental engulfments?

Signed,
    Ooze Template Connoisseur
    Do not cross The Mighty Cube!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge
    Everyone knows Gelatinous Cubes are Weapons of Mass Digestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Advice from the Cube: everyone in here needs to settle down, I've more or less the bottom-less pit when it comes to my tummy being filled... *picks train up, sets it back on tracks*

Dear Gornn,

When forming my quest groups, I'll sometimes get a loot item that I'm really not sure about. Another group member will get really excited about it, and offer up a trade. Now is it considered bad manners to go and look up some information about the item before I do my trade? I feel bad about making them wait for me to do some research, but I also don't want to accidentally trade away the equivalent of a rare Ming vase by mistake. I also find it's difficult to suppress the urge to just devour them whole. What advice do you have to avoid misunderstandings and accidental engulfments?

Signed,

Dear Cubey,

(Can I call you Cubey? I guess I should've asked before I did it. What's the worst that can happen? Oh right...you'll devour me whole...moving right along.)

It certainly isn't bad manners to ask for a few minutes to find out about the item. Explain that you're not too familiar with it, that you'd like to know exactly what it is and what it does, and most especially if any of your characters can use it (assuming it's not a bound raid item. see below), before you consider trading it.

This is most especially the case if you're in a raid. As you know, some pieces of raid loot are far more sought after than others, so knowing what you have before you pass it on to someone else shouldn't be frowned upon by anyone, especially if you're relatively new to the game/and or the higher level raid content.

After all, if its an item that someone is really looking for and has been for a long time, they should be willing to wait 5 or 10 minutes for the opportunity to talk to you about a trade...even if you're not 100% sure you're going to trade it.

I know you don't want to make people wait...but if you find out that you just traded a Ming Vase for a Bill Buckner bobblehead...you'll feel bad and it'll negatively affect your enjoyment of the game! And that's not good for anyone.

So check the forums, or even send a tell to someone you trust to get their opinion...in the long run the few minutes you spend, is worth it to your overall enjoyment of the game!

As for your urge to devour everything in sight, well...devour a case of Pepto Bismol, and call me in the morning.

Your friend,

Gornn Landers

This could seriously end up thread of the year!!!
    Boldrin//Grandmaster Flash//Cartaras
    Plucky // Whipping //Malachus
    Juxta//Pigsticker//Stealyour// Internet
    Proud member of Loreseekers

Dear Gornn:

Lately, I have been having this issue and I am kind of embarassed to discuss it on an open forum. For the sake of anonymity, lets just pull a random name out of the hat and call my problem "Meatwad".

I've tried everything, from jumping and hiding to not giving out haste but I cannot get rid of my "Meatwad". I know this "Meatwad" is only there for my haste and GH but sometimes a Sorc just has to make a stand and say NO MORE!

Please, allmighty Gornn, tell me what I should do......

Jhax
    I've met and chatted with both Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax.
    To both of you, I raise a glass in toast and say THANK YOU!
    There are other ways and OTHER FORUMS, PM Strakeln for details.
    Lackey, Pee-on and general No Good Doo-er of BANNED FROM ALL GUILDS!

Community Member

Default Bah!!! What's with this Gorn stuff?

Gorn Landers is too liberal to be an advice counsler. Next thing you know we will no longer be trying to kill mobs and rid Khyber of evil. His/Her (can't tell by the avatar) liberal rehtoric will lead to us hugging devils in the Shroud before you know it. I say don't listen to Gorn as he's still a tree hugging hippy. I can see where we will soon be taxed to death to pay for socialized clericing and our armies will be reduced to pay for more music schools for bards.

I say don't take Gorns advice what are his credentials? Does he have a degree in Khyberian psycology, and is it from a real school or just an online Kyberian course?

Be aware of his advice!!!

You have been warned take heed or face doom!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post

Dear Gornn,

Signed,
    I am wondering if Mr. Gelatinous Cube would be so kind as to tell me where I can get free loot while the party is still forming?

Thank you in advance,

Slink

Community Member

Talking Dear Gornn

since swear words are forbidden And I dont use them anyway, Do you think this would be an fair alternet for when your feeling like you just dont care and want to express it, KTW(krish the world)????

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast