Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
    I may very well know more about how DDO works than you do. The core system of this game is based off of the 3.5 rules that have been adapted to an MMO however the core classes are for the most part the same. The books explain the feats and skills that are for the most part used in game. They also give you an idea of what the world setting is about and things you can expect. If you understand how the table top game works you can easily adapt to this simplified on line game.
    lol
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    tell me where you can find, hmm lets say, the tempest enhancement line in one of your books

oh, you cant

and i doubt you know more then me about ddo, considering you havent left korthos yet

The tempest comes from the book Masters of the Wild and then updated in the complete adventurer book

Hit Die:
    d10

Requirements:
    Base Attack Bonus: +6
    Feats: Dodge, Improve Two-Weapon Fighting, Mobility, Spring Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting

Class Skills:
    Balance, Climb, Craft, Jump, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2+Int

Class Features:
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Tempests gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Tempest Defense (EX): When wielding a double weapon or two weapons (not including natural weapons or unarmed strikes), a tempest gains a +1 bonus to Armor Class. This bonus increases to +2 at 3rd level and +3 at 5th level. The character loses this ability when fighting in medium or heavy armor.

Ambidexterity (EX): For a tempest of 2nd level or higher, her attack penalties for fighting with two weapons are lessened by 1 (from -4 to -3, or from -2 to -1 if off-hand weapon is a light weapon). At 4th level, the attack penalties are lessened by another 1 (from -3 to -2, or to +0 if the off-hand weapon is a light weapon). The character loses this ability when fighting in medium or heavy armor. See Table 8-10: Two-Weapon Fighting Penalties, page 160 of the Player's Handbook.

Two-Weapon Versatility (EX): When a tempest of 3rd level or higher fights with two weapons, she can apply the effects of certain feats from one weapon to the other weapon as well, as long as those effects can be applied legally. She can use this ability only with the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization. For example, a tempest who wields a longsword and a short sword and who has the Weapon Focus (longsword) feat can apply the effect of Weapon Focus to her short sword as well as to her longsword. If a tempest already has the feat with both weapons, she gains no additional effect.

Two-Weapon Spring Attack (EX): When a 5th-level tempest makes a spring attack, she can attack once each with two different weapons as an attack action. The character loses this ability when fighting in medium or heavy armor.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st....+1....+2...+0...+0 Tempest defense +1
    2nd....+2....+3...+0...+0 Ambidexterity (-3/-1)
    3rd....+3....+3...+1...+1 Tempest defense +2,
    ......................................… versatility
    4th....+4....+4...+1...+1 Ambidexterity (-2/+0)
    5th....+5....+4...+1...+1 Tempest defense +3,
    ......................................… spring attack

Source(s):
    Comlete Adventurer "TEMPEST" pg 81 and 82

It mirrors the DDO version pretty well I would say. Almost everything in DDO is based of the D&D books. The only thing I can think of that is pretty different between the two are action points and how they are use.

The tempest comes from the book Masters of the Wild and then updated in the complete adventurer book (A lot of Table Top Cannon)
    That information bears no resemblance to the design or application of Tempest builds in DDO. Except perhaps Hit Dice.
    I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed.
    ~Last Samurai

Professional assassination is the highest form of public service.
    ~Master Chiun

http://www.atlantavampire.com

The tempest comes from the book Masters of the Wild and then updated in the complete adventurer book

snip
    im sure we could report you now cause tempest isnt OGL

anyway, thats no enhancement, its a class

and if we leave that aside too, please show me an ECL 20 char with 20 lvls of rangers and the full tempest progression
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

I never said that DDO was just D&D moved over to a on line game. I said that having the 3.5 books will help new players understand how the game works. It explains things like

1) basic classes
    2) stats
    3) how stacking works
    4) DR and what it is
    5) Monsters alignment and weaknesses
    6) What the d in 3d6 means
    7) feats
    8) skills
    9) Different magic items and what they do
    10) Spells and DC

Yes you can point to things that are in one version of the game and not the other. However the core mechanics are the same and lets face it.......the D&D books explain how to play the game a lot better than DDO.

As for your tempest enchantments well its one of the things you won't find in the D&D books since the DDO enchantments are the on line version of watered down prestige classes from the books. The reason for enchantments over prestige classes is for on line game balance. Again I never said DDO was just a on line copy of D&D....I said that the D&D books would help people understand the basics of DDO

Xatasha, you are correct in that the D&D cannon materials will explain basic concepts and how to play the game, from the books. However if you really examine the DDO environment and the Books you must admit the vast differences. That someone who knows all the book material could come to DDO and quickly become discouraged as to how different it really is, and how quickly they are making further changes to make it even more different.
    ~Last Samurai

~Master Chiun

Quote Originally Posted by AbsynthMinded View Post
    Xatasha, you are correct in that the D&D cannon materials will explain basic concepts and how to play the game, from the books. However if you really examine the DDO environment and the Books you must admit the vast differences. That someone who knows all the book material could come to DDO and quickly become discouraged as to how different it really is, and how quickly they are making further changes to make it even more different.
    People who have never played D&D are the ones that will get discouraged by this game and lack of instructions. For me its D&D with home rules. Most of the differences are there only because its an on line game and are needed for balance or due to the fact that MMO players love to Min/Max.

People who have never played D&D are the ones that will get discouraged by this game and lack of instructions. For me its D&D with home rules. Most of the differences are there only because its an on line game and are needed for balance or due to the fact that MMO players love to Min/Max.
    I would argue that both sides will get discouraged. New players by the lack of data, and PnP veterans by the stark and drastic differences that go way beyond 'house rules'.
    ~Last Samurai

~Master Chiun

I would argue that both sides will get discouraged. New players by the lack of data, and PnP veterans by the stark and drastic differences that go way beyond 'house rules'.

Anyone can get discouraged for any number of reasons but the 3.5 books are still a good resource for players

Anyone can get discouraged for any number of reasons but the 3.5 books are still a good resource for players
    Only for playing the PnP game. DDO as as different as you can imagine, and vast parts of it do not reflect 3.5 Cannon in practice if not definition.
    ~Last Samurai

~Master Chiun

Only for playing the PnP game. DDO as as different as you can imagine, and vast parts of it do not reflect 3.5 Cannon in practice if not definition.
    Naaah... The core is still there. Dice, abilities, armor class, classes overview, mechanics of using skills & feats, ... certainly enough to at least get a good grasp of the things, even if one should read just the first few chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTheHoon View Post
    Naaah... The core is still there. Dice, abilities, armor class, classes overview, mechanics of using skills & feats, ... certainly enough to at least get a good grasp of the things, even if one should read just the first few chapters.
    In a vague visionary sense I suppose.. The limitations and differences in DDO however are stark once you get into the meat and potatoes of building a solid toon for end game content.

Any build can be successful and entertaining to a point, but the game design here quickly demonstrates the failings towards the upper end. I know many new players who by experimentation alone have had to suffer many restarts, or shelved a toon because of this.
    ~Last Samurai

~Master Chiun

Community Member

Default creating new guild ranks

ok guys have a outfield question for all the really smart people on here...

I've been trying to create a new rank in between the members and officers for my guild as its just starting and i wanted it nailed down to begin with...

I have used the /guild help to get the info from and used the /guild createrank NAME to make it but it wont work and its got me stuffed what im actually doing wrong....

If someone can point me in the right direction plzz it would be most appreciated...

BTW i tried various combos of the way it was typed and brackets in case your wondering.. I followed the guide shown

Thnx for the info
    Mittias Drow Male Wizard 20th---- Cannith
    Nisama Drow Male Dark Monk 20th --- Cannith
    Rhemeir drow Male Fvs/Dottank 20th---Cannith
    Lianlee TR current project 9th ---- Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Arakasia View Post
    ok guys have a outfield question for all the really smart people on here...

I've been trying to create a new rank in between the members and officers for my guild as its just starting and i wanted it nailed down to begin with...

I have used the /guild help to get the info from and used the /guild createrank NAME to make it but it wont work and its got me stuffed what im actually doing wrong....

If someone can point me in the right direction plzz it would be most appreciated...

BTW i tried various combos of the way it was typed and brackets in case your wondering.. I followed the guide shown

Thnx for the info
    Been where you are, and was told those are still in the works and not currently enabled. I spent a few days playing with it on and off and ended up having to ask just like you are, and found out it is not a viable option.

Hopefully soon, with an update yet to come!
    How can you not love Bacon? Even PIGS love bacon.

You might want to update the link to the DDO Wiki. I believe it is ddowiki.com

Cool Xanendor's Experience Planner

Hi there.

Any chance you would consider adding Xanendor's Experience Planner to this list of player-made resources?

It's quite nice actually, if I do say so myself.

Here's the official thread about it from the day I started it: --> Original Post

And this is the post where I announced it's completion. --> Version 3 Final

Thanks for any consideration.

~ Xanendor
    Last edited by Xanendor; 05-14-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Fixed the links after forum changed.
    Xanendor's Experience Planner
    Official Thread -- Original Post -- Final Post
    Download - Version Three - Final - The One to rule them all!

Community Member

Default 2013 Server?

So what's the highest populated server now? Just got back from a loooooooooooong break.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Crafting Planner = 404 Error
    Offline Enhancement = 404 error
    Respec Made Easy = 404 error

But 4 of 7 still work.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Thelanis or Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by ~WakkyWiz View Post
    So what's the highest populated server now? Just got back from a loooooooooooong break.
    If you happen to be from these countries, try these servers first

Chinese = Sarlona
    Korean = Ghallanda
    German = Wayfinder and LEAST populated by a factor of ten, also all servers
    Brazilian = Cannith but also on other servers
    French = just about all servers
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Are the broken links going to be fixed?
    If you can read this thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, Thank a Soldier!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast