Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Beholder Physiology 102: Eyebeams

Ok, I think I've had my fill of "How do you handle these darned beholders?" threads over the past couple of weeks so I decided to take a moment and explain the magical properties of a beholder.

This is a picture of a creature that strikes fear into the hearts of many adventures, fleshy and warforged alike (although mostly fleshies).

A scary sight indeed, especially when they are assaulted by a rainbow of colors. Many say "DOOM! Melee them and you will likely die!". Depending on how you approach a beholder, that just may be true. A beholder, as deadly as it is, suffers from the fact that eyestalks are only so tall so they can only fire in certain directions. A beholder can eyebeam 1 of 10 effects (and this is specifically for living beholders, not those crazy ghostly doomspheres).

• Fired from the front of a beholder:
    • Disintegration
    • Enervation
    • Telekinesis
    • Beholder Antimagic Effect (from the main eye)

Fired from the right of a beholder:
    • Hold Monster
    • Inflict Moderate Wounds

Fired from the back of a beholder:
    • Finger of Death
    • Scorching Ray
    • Bestow Curse

Fired from the left of a beholder:
    • Flesh to Stone
    • Slow

And as they say, a picture is worth... well... a picture is pretty so here you go

Now, most people who attack a beholder gripe about 3 main things:
    • "I have 9 negative levels"
    • *Poof* "You have been hit with Finger of Death"
    • "You have been hit by Disintegration for 161 points of damage"

Take a look at what a beholder fires and where it fires from. With that knowledge in mind it becomes much easier to go into close quarters with one of these eye tyrants. Regardless of who you are a beholder is most deadly if you attack it head on (enervation, disintegration). People with high will saves will do very well to attack a beholder on its right side (hold monster, Inflict Moderate Wounds). Warforged will find that attacking a beholder from its left side is 100% safe (Flesh to Stone, Slow). If you have the right equipment, anyone can attack a beholder from behind with minor or no repercussions (deathblock and fire resistance item negates the two damaging rays, Bestow Curse is never fatal).

Also, each eyebeam (well, almost each eyebeam) has a unique color. For each color, a specific eye-spell is cast. If you are fleshy, in front of the beholder, and see a deep indigo color... MOVE! Thats enervation! If you are a Warforged on the right side of the beholder and see a blue beam... LAUGH! Its only Hold Monster.

Disintegration
    Enervation/Bestow Curse
    Hold Monster/Flesh to Stone/Telekinesis/Slow
    Scorching Ray
    Finger of Death/Inflict Moderate Wounds (black)

Keep this information in mind next time you assault a beholder and you might find your survival rate higher than the last time.

Good luck.
    Last edited by MrCow; 06-24-2008 at 08:52 AM.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Keep in mind that on Normal CR9-11-ish quests Beholders do not use Finger of Death. That spell is reserved for Hard and Elite. Therefore, Deathblock is not necessary for Normal.

P.S. Good info, MrCow.
    Last edited by Alavatar; 06-23-2008 at 08:04 PM.
    Inferus Sus Thelanis; Primary Bodies:
    Adamantbody, Brassbody, Carbonbody, Ironbody, Uraniumbody
    Body Designer: Bodybuilder 20 Artificer

Excellent analysis!

Of course, I just go in with my +1 Weakening Bastard Sword of Enfeebling; 4-5 hits later his Str is zero and he can't use any of his eye rays.

Warforged: Hieroh Protagonist, Halberd, Brunsen
    Dwarfs: Stonebones, Reuger of the Mror Holds, Stuntman Mike, Zarakk Nur
    Halfling: Slagador, Human: Baalthezar ALL on Ghallanda
    and one Trust Fund Dorf on Argo: Torlan

Good post cow
    Last edited by MageLL; 06-23-2008 at 09:31 PM.

How the heck did you test this out in DDO? They usually spin so much its hard to know if they are dancing, or attacking!
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

GREAT POST!!

/Thread of the Week Material!
    ~Requeim ~ Aviale ~ Tomein ~ Twillee ~ Vizzini
    Officer of Fallen Heroes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper
    <+Keeper> Monks make the best guacamole..

Quote Originally Posted by Alavatar
    Keep in mind that on Normal CR9-11-ish quests Beholders do not use Finger of Death. That spell is reserved for Hard and Elite. Therefore, Deathblock is not necessary for Normal.
    Then explain this screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic
    How the heck did you test this out in DDO?
    The Elder Beholder in the center of Waterworks doesn't move. I simply dashed behind his pillar and then... got hit several times.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Community Member

Is it just me or would this first snapshot go well with a P-Funk chorus and George Clinton's Mothership hovering?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post

The Elder Beholder in the center of Waterworks doesn't move. I simply dashed behind his pillar and then... got hit several times.
    Elder Beholders are higher CR, I reckon. My post was in reference to normal Beholders.

another reason why I dont question information from the Cow. Sure it may get me killed one day, if on the off chance a fraction of your info is not right.......... but up till today.... all good stuff.

Thnx for the great info. I will be attacking on the right side from now on.

Dude........ you need a title.

Scholar of Monsters
    Master Dungeoneer
    Monster wrangler
    Pokemaster

something like that.
    Ever bleed out in a thornbush? Welcome to UD14.

Elder Beholders are higher CR, I reckon. My post was in reference to normal Beholders.
    And my screenshot is in a place devoid of elder beholders. The beholders and elder beholders don't mingle in Invaders.
    Server - Thelanis

Any sufficiently advanced bureaucracy is indistinguishable from molasses.

A good analysis, but only really applicable to the Elder/bigger Beholders in Invaders by the right doorway or if you happen to trap the beholders by the Drow...A Beholder's turn speed is too quick for this game's engine to even register, so at any given moment you are subject to getting hit by any of these beams. Perfect example...surround a beholder, watch as it anti-magics the whole party within 5 seconds...Especially the darn Doomsphere..

However you SHOULDN'T be able to get hit if you're in front of the beholder (Devs, when are you finally going to fix this one? -.- )
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Huxley
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

And my screenshot is in a place devoid of elder beholders. The beholders and elder beholders don't mingle in Invaders.
    Apparently that has changed recently to have normal Beholders cast FoD, because your post below not too long ago confirmed my point.

Well, according to the information on beholders in the DDO Catalog when I did their entry about 3 months ago it appears I didn't get hit by Finger of Death either.

Also, at that level and with that group the cleric could have used bestow curse/doom followed by command/sound burst to keep the beholder incapacitated.
    If normal Beholders do, in fact, cast FoD then I will be sure to use a DB item from now on.

Beholders like to be about 30 feet away, so if you move too close or too far, they do like to move around.
    Server - Thelanis

Apparently that has changed recently to have normal Beholders cast FoD, because your post below not too long ago confirmed my point.
    Online games... change and all that. It shocked me when I saw it too.
    Server - Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Ranmaru2 View Post
    A good analysis, but only really applicable to the Elder/bigger Beholders in Invaders by the right doorway or if you happen to trap the beholders by the Drow...A Beholder's turn speed is too quick for this game's engine to even register, so at any given moment you are subject to getting hit by any of these beams. Perfect example...surround a beholder, watch as it anti-magics the whole party within 5 seconds...Especially the darn Doomsphere..

However you SHOULDN'T be able to get hit if you're in front of the beholder (Devs, when are you finally going to fix this one? -.- )
    The spinning thing is not entirely true. I tend to try and attack Beholders from behind, because I foolishly thought they cant hit you when u are behind them (that and my survival rate has always been higher from behind). Ive gone many an encounter without getting my buffs wiped. 3 times in the last 3 weeks and afew more before that.

Sometimes one person can hold aggro so well that he never turns around. Sorcs and barbs are good in this way.

Also, stunning blow works pretty well against them, if your spec'ed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain1z View Post
    Also, stunning blow works pretty well against them, if your spec'ed for it.
    Personally, I like sneaking up on them and blinding them. Something about doing that somehow always struck me as hilariously funny.
    "Perhaps the end has not yet been written…”
    The Hand of the Black Tower Officer
    Najdorf, Assassin :: Keres, Vindicator :: Alekhine, Augur

"It's not 'Zerging.' It's an armed reconnaissance."

Quote Originally Posted by Guildmaster Kadish View Post
    Personally, I like sneaking up on them and blinding them. Something about doing that somehow always struck me as hilariously funny.
    Ive tried blinding them......... never worked for me.

Do the eye beams still function......... likely they do, but Ive always wanted to try.

Quote Originally Posted by captain1z View Post
    Ive tried blinding them......... never worked for me.

Do the eye beams still function......... likely they do, but Ive always wanted to try.
    Ya they do, sadly. They ought to randomly shoot in all directions though, instead of continuing to target players
    "Perhaps the end has not yet been written…”
    The Hand of the Black Tower Officer
    Najdorf, Assassin :: Keres, Vindicator :: Alekhine, Augur

"It's not 'Zerging.' It's an armed reconnaissance."

I've had the Doomsphere hit me with a rainbow of eye beams at once. It was very pretty and nearly killed my Eye of the Beholder charges in one blast.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast