Default Hound of Xoriat Raid

Here's a video I made to help people see just one version of a stragety used to successfully beat the Hound of Xoriat. Mind you I typed the written dialog too fast, too late at night and there are some mistakes, so please go easy on me.. You should get the point from it.

I do not profess to say this is THE way to beat the Hound but if you haven't done it yet and wanna check it out this could help.. Also this crayon drawing (lol) will make sense after you view the video.. I hope you enjoy it.

VIDEO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJbuv7UK170

Last edited by Durack; 07-02-2008 at 06:43 AM.
    Durrack, Durracka,Verminnard

Here is what the Hound of Xoriat does to you in the new raid.. Look at #3 this is why the main tank Shield BLOCKS

Overrun (Player's Handbook, page 157)

Overrun is very similar to bull rush, but instead of pushing someone where you want, you knock them prone to get past them. This extremely direct approach can be very handy if you want your opponent on the ground, but you run the risk of getting knocked prone yourself if you fail the Strength check. Many of the same warnings and dangers that apply to bull rush are just as true with overrun.

When and Why You Should Overrun: Overrun isn't a common tactic and usually comes into play only when you absolutely have to get past an opponent and there's no other path than straight through them. The main advantage to this tactic is that it just requires movement and isn't considered an attack. Like bull rush, being larger than your target helps immensely, so enlarge person can be very handy. Conversely, if you're protecting an area that you don't want someone to get through, place the dwarf in your group at the choke point, since this race gains a +4 bonus to prevent getting knocked over (the same also applies to bull rush). If you're confident that you can successfully overrun a foe, and if you have an ally adjacent or nearby, do so to get on the other side of your opponent, thus setting up a potential flank attack on a now-prone target.

House Rule Alert!: If you and the ally behind you attempt an overrun against an opponent, I grant a +4 circumstance bonus on the attempt, since you're dealing with the mass and inertia of two bodies rather than one, in most cases making you and your ally a single, Large creature for the purposes of the overrun. However, both characters are potential targets for attacks of opportunity and the person in the rear cannot make an attack of opportunity while performing this tactic.

You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your move. (In general, you cannot take a standard action during a move; this is an exception.) With an overrun, you attempt to plow past or over your opponent (and move through his square) as you move. You can only overrun an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller. You can make only one overrun attempt per round.

If you’re attempting to overrun an opponent, follow these steps.

Step 1
    Attack of Opportunity. Since you begin the overrun by moving into the defender’s space, you provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender.

Step 2
    Opponent Avoids? The defender has the option to simply avoid you. If he avoids you, he doesn’t suffer any ill effect and you may keep moving (You can always move through a square occupied by someone who lets you by.) The overrun attempt doesn’t count against your actions this round (except for any movement required to enter the opponent’s square). If your opponent doesn’t avoid you, move to Step 3.

Step 3
    Opponent Blocks? If your opponent blocks you, make a Strength check opposed by the defender’s Dexterity or Strength check (whichever ability score has the higher modifier). A combatant gets a +4 bonus on the check for every size category he is larger than Medium or a –4 penalty for every size category he is smaller than Medium. The defender gets a +4 bonus on his check if he has more than two legs or is otherwise more stable than a normal humanoid. If you win, you knock the defender prone. If you lose, the defender may immediately react and make a Strength check opposed by your Dexterity or Strength check (including the size modifiers noted above, but no other modifiers) to try to knock you prone.

Step 4
    Consequences. If you succeed in knocking your opponent prone, you can continue your movement as normal. If you fail and are knocked prone in turn, you have to move 5 feet back the way you came and fall prone, ending your movement there. If you fail but are not knocked prone, you have to move 5 feet back the way you came, ending your movement there. If that square is occupied, you fall prone in that square.

Improved Overrun
    If you have the Improved Overrun feat, your target may not choose to avoid you.

Mounted Overrun (Trample)
    If you attempt an overrun while mounted, your mount makes the Strength check to determine the success or failure of the overrun attack (and applies its size modifier, rather than yours). If you have the Trample feat and attempt an overrun while mounted, your target may not choose to avoid you, and if you knock your opponent prone with the overrun, your mount may make one hoof attack against your opponent.

Default A caster straget for the hound

a short video of how I prep the area of the outer circles on my caster enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57fzPVXpbdA

Default Good job!

Nice vid, nice diagram.

On a side note...does anyone else think it's silly, that epic adventurers that have slain red dragons, demon queens, pre-ascended gods, pit fiends, ect...can't even hurt that doggie, and the only way to beat her is to charm her own puppies using stones that these mindflayers "just happen" to be carrying? Last time I checked those hounds were immune to acid damage so how exactly do her puppies hurt her pray tell? I understand that it's a video game, but if my DM tried to pull that on me as a player I'd raise the B.S. flag pretty quickly. Of course it's a little bit reminiscant of having to hit a big robot with a laser after you knock a pillar on him, which somehow doesn't collapse the roof on you...but I digress. Good job on the vid guy! I like it.
    ...the eyes of a ghastly white vampire stare back at you...his fangs gleam in the light from your torches and lanterns...In your heart, you know that most who have seen this face never lived to see another

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

I think you've got a few too many Portals in your artwork. Theres a lot more spawns on the west side than the east. We usually have 3-4 on the left side, 2-3 in the Middle and the rest on Right.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member juniorpfactors's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I think you've got a few too many Portals in your artwork. Theres a lot more spawns on the west side than the east. We usually have 3-4 on the left side, 2-3 in the Middle and the rest on Right.
    The right side has much more spawns put your tanks on east, the left can be done by 2 tanks and a bard
    east central portal spawns 3 reavers each time...as the west usually just 1's

jrp

Community Member

Seems to me that you guys spend way more time than is necessary chasing monsters on the exterior ring. Just my 2 cp.

Community Member juniorpfactors's Avatar

who said i run around the ring using spells....not they way my team runs this raid...

but many seems to like the whole spell thing..

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by juniorpfactors View Post
    who said i run around the ring using spells....not they way my team runs this raid...

he has like 14 portals in his pic
    Wasn't directed at you JRP Talking more about the video than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I think you've got a few too many Portals in your artwork. .
    yep I know .. that's why I put "Not to scale"

Here's a cleaner pic..

And a new prep video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57fzPVXpbdA
    Last edited by Durack; 07-11-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Seems to me that you guys spend way more time than is necessary chasing monsters on the exterior ring. Just my 2 cp.
    yep.. old video bro.. we do it with much more finesse now.. video footage was shot day one of launch... new video is more the accurate way of how me & mine do it