Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

this came up in conversation last night. someone was asking about the chinese influx and mentioned he had inadvertently joined a group of monks that happen to also be chinese. he didn't know it and when he heard them all speaking chinese had no idea it was "real". basically he thought they were english-speaking pretending to speak chinese because of the monk thing.... made up chinese. so he threw in some of his own and got questioning responses. to their credit, they did not boot him. and he did apologize, but we all instantly saw the need for knowing how to say you are sorry.

Sorry
    I didn't mean to offend
    Please ignore my stupidity lol

Things like that.
    My DDO Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...princessfairee Added vids Mar'08
    Legends of Aerenal: Here in the beginning; here until the end! Caelan guild officer

suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Caelan View Post
    Sorry = bao qian = apologies
    I didn't mean to offend = bu shi gu yi de = that wasn't on purpose
    Please ignore my stupidity = qing yuan liang (wo) = please forgive (me)

Quote Originally Posted by Teech View Post
    Comment: you xi = 'game' is correct. However, I believe the 'game' in this case is actually a noun, and might not be suitable in this sentence.
    Suggest: xia chi zai yi qi wan(2). wan2 = play
    technically in proper chinese yours is correct, but for gamers, they refer it to you xi instead as wan can mean different games. whereas you xi is more specific, in this case refers to computer games
    If you want to know why...

I just wanted to say that its great to see the China players on Sarlona opening up more.
    When they first came, many of their LFMs were restricted to "zhong guo ren" or China Nationals only.
    Not too surprising I guess since many of them probably don't speak english.

Today, I just saw 2 LFMs.
    One read: "We speak chinese but all are welcome"
    (In english no less. Just goes to show that they're making the same effort that so many are in this thread)

The other read: "kan de dong de lai" = Come in if you understand
    Which at least shows their willingness to group up so long as parties are able to understand each other.

I'd like to /salute the Sarlonians who made the effort to make them feel welcome, and to show them that DDO transcends all cultures and languages =)

It's also nice to think that this thread might have played some part in them opening up.
    'Grats Aranticus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvymetal View Post
    Bekki, I'd teach ya some Tagalog but most of what I know is things you don't say in polite company
    LOL
    My "friend" tried to teach me a number of those phrases...

I have several books on the subject and some language tapes.

What I was trying to find is the above mentioned program.

I WISH I could remember the Name!

It seemed really cool, but I didn't hink of it at the time!

If anyone Happens to have seen it an knows the name That would be awesome.
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Another appropriate response for 'sorry' would be bu(4) hao(3) yi(4) si(5), translates literally as 'not good meaning' but is used in a situation where the speaker is put in a situation which negatively affects them, such as interrupting a conversation, or starting a conversation with a stranger, or asking a courtesy of said person...

If that made any sense. Chinese social customs are involved!
    "Xorian born, Xorian sworn."
    Proud member of Madborn!

Quote Originally Posted by seancrane2 View Post
    Like. Oh. My. Gawd. Sokar, you are like... SOOOOooo totally GORGEOUS!

or: Dwe Bu Xie

also: Ba Xie Soh Wei (* If I am correct, and the spelling bothers me here, but it SHOULD mean: I don't understand)
    Last edited by Lo_Pan; 06-24-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo_Pan View Post
    or: Dwe Bu Xie

also: Ba Xie Soh Wei (* If I am correct, and the spelling bothers me here, but it SHOULD mean: I don't understand)
    i dun understand = wo(3) bu(4) liao(3) jie(3)

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    i dun understand = wo(3) bu(4) liao(3) jie(3)
    Absoutely correct, although in my experience, wo(3) bu(4) dong(3) or ting(1) bu(4) dong(3) are more common, but maybe that's a Taiwan thing.
    "Xorian born, Xorian sworn."
    Proud member of Madborn!

Quote Originally Posted by seancrane2 View Post
    Like. Oh. My. Gawd. Sokar, you are like... SOOOOooo totally GORGEOUS!

Default conversation thread versus info

I think you can update your first first post with all of your additional lesson supplements, so that we dont have to dig through the conversations for them. Or maybe get a seperate wiki-stiki thread or whatever something like that the just lists the raw information. When I get home I might try to print some stuff out.
    I, like many, think it would be cool to try out some simple Chinese (or any new language for me) in a party while gaming.

ATTITUDE- Many Chinese people play this game just as a game and are not farmers. Some of you need to be mature and realize this, so we are talking about using Chinese to talk with other players too, not just platfarmers. I had to get that out of my system.

My own little contribution here- Japanese. I dont think there are any Japanese people really on any of the US servers and if they are its probably because they speak English. So practically you dont really need Japanese, but just for entertainment purposes.

Japanese is pronounced much like spanish, with WHOLE VOWELS. all vowels have same sound always
    a='aw', e='eh', i=ee(as in pee), o='oh', u=oo(as in poo)

I love you
    ai****eiruyo

will you marry me?
    kekkon ***** kudasai

Lets fight (in the battle arena)
    kakate koi!

Are you drinking?
    nondeiru?

Lets kill some stuff
    nanika korosouka?

here take this
    douzo

thank you
    arigatou (mr. robato)

Dont open the chest yet
    mada takarabakou akenaide

Where are you?
    (players name)san, docodesuka?

stay in the back, because you are weak
    anta yowaikara, ushiro ni orinasai

stop
    tomate (I know almost sounds like tomato)

wait
    matte

go
    ikke

come
    koi

come here
    kochi kite

You look good in that armor/robe/outfit/hat
    niau ne.
    Khyber ShiffD (in jail),Poke (haggler), Duhhulk (retired), Docsensei (healer), Dorobo (wrench), Castur
    Orien Shiffd Cleric/thief/psychopath June 2010

Default oops

there is a spelling of 4 letters which is a bad word in english. Starting with s and 4 letters, ending in T. This sound pattern is a common and important verb ending in Japanese, but cant be typed in these forums, so my attempt to teach two frazes has been foiled. Ok so when s comes befoe i, pronounce the s as an SH ok?
    marry me
    kekkonsite kudasai.
    i love you
    aisiteiru yo
    Im drunk (new fraze didnt have in last list)
    yoparateiruyo

And we need a guide for the australians and Kiwis, not just the Canadians. Ok, mate?
    Khyber ShiffD (in jail),Poke (haggler), Duhhulk (retired), Docsensei (healer), Dorobo (wrench), Castur
    Orien Shiffd Cleric/thief/psychopath June 2010

I remember playing in groups with 5 plat farmers back in the early days of DDO, and nope I had no clue what they were saying. Everyone just did their thing and we got through the quest easily.

So not speaking whatever language shouldn't be a barrier to beating most quests (though probably would be an issue in new raids until they're no longer new).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
    I remember playing in groups with 5 plat farmers back in the early days of DDO, and nope I had no clue what they were saying. Everyone just did their thing and we got through the quest easily.

So not speaking whatever language shouldn't be a barrier to beating most quests (though probably would be an issue in new raids until they're no longer new).
    part of the reason i posted this was a farmer was in a shroud group i was in. he could not understand simple english and would not respond to the leader's tell or voice chat. in part 3, i was teaching some players some simple mandarin. when in part4, this farmer died and i recieved a pm from him asking if i'm a zhongguo ren (china nationality). a simple conversation took place until the part i touched on farming and that i was also discussing a new plat selling pm to which this person recalled and dropped group (i was commenting abt how i see more legit players than farmers). that confirmed our suspicion that the said person is a farmer (many guilds in khyber are looking out on these and we trade info regularly, once identified and confirmed, they will be denied entry to our runs so as to slow/fustrate their farming efforts)

back to topic, yes some of the farmers (esp pre server merge) are masters of farming but now, with shroud, vision and hound being the "in" raids, they are lacking in quality to be part of the groups (more so when they keep nuking when crowd control is needed)

Default Chinese and Japanese, oh my!

I live in Japan, so I've probably run with more Chinese recently than most of you have. I play quite often (I'm a student), so I guess I meet up with Chinese players about once or twice a day.

So, firstly, I want to know how to say, in Chinese:

- "Do you understand me?" or "Do you understand English?"

- "Please listen to me." or "Please listen to us." ---- I have found that some Chinese who can speak a little English pretty do much their own thing (hopefully it's just because they think that because they aren't fluent, they can't play as a group, which isn't true.)

- "If you don't listen to us, we will kick you from the group." ---- Sometimes communication is necessary for survival. I hate to be the heavy, but if you can't understand me, (sometimes) I don't want you around. Nothing personal.

Secondly, I want to know how many of you, in the heat of battle, are going to have time or inclination to write this all out? I've seen plenty of English-speaking players who have trouble communicating in English. hehehe

Thirdly, I noticed someone posted some words in Japanese. Good job, but what you posted is pretty rude in most cases. Even when playing online games, most Japanese are usually pretty formal. Also, Western humor doesn't translate well to Japanese. I wouldn't go around asking players to marry you. I mean, even in English, if a stranger said that to you, what would your reaction be?

>Where are you?
    >(players name)san, docodesuka?

Actually in online gaming, a lot of Japanese don't use "san" because they're not using thier real name. You can use it, but you don't have to.

Anyway, you might want to try: "XX, ima doko ni imasu ka?" or "XX, ima doko ni iru no?" for where are you now?
    Also, "doco" is misspelled; "doko" is correct. "XX, ima, doko? " is okay, too.

The shortest one is probably the best (it's quickest) but it's also the least polite. No one's gonna get angry though.

>stay in the back, because you are weak
    >anta yowaikara, ushiro ni orinasai

There are several problems with this.

"Anta" is really, really rude. If the Japanese you're playing with thinks it's intentional and not a spelling mistake, he may drop the group at that point. Use "Anata" or even better, use the name of the person. "Yowaikara" should be "Yowai dakara". (Even if this is put together correctly, it's still a little strange, though. People will understand but it might take them a second.)

But in any case, just for diplomatic reasons, try saying: "issen wo majienagara, ki wo tsukete!" which means while you're fighting, be careful. I guess it's a bit long to type while you are fighting, so try it before or after. Telling someone to stay in the back because they are weak is not going to make them happy. (My sentence is also a little awkward but it gets the job done.)

>stop
    >tomate (I know almost sounds like tomato)

Stop is "tomete". Maybe you're thinking of the verb "tomaru"?

>go
    >ikke

"Ikke" is pretty rude. "Itte" is better.

>come
    >koi

"Kite" is much better. "Koi" is a little rude.
    "koko e oide" is good for "come this way".

However, having written all this, most Japanese understand at least basic English, so if you keep it simple, they'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by threeandfive View Post
    I live in Japan, so I've probably run with more Chinese recently than most of you have. I play quite often (I'm a student), so I guess I meet up with Chinese players about once or twice a day.

So, firstly, I want to know how to say, in Chinese:

- "Do you understand me?" "ni ting de dong ma?" or "Do you understand English?" "ni ting de dong ying yu ma?"

- "Please listen to me." "qing ni ting wo de zhi shi" zhi shi is added to denote instructions or "Please listen to us." "qing ni ting wo men de zhi shi" ---- I have found that some Chinese who can speak a little English pretty do much their own thing (hopefully it's just because they think that because they aren't fluent, they can't play as a group, which isn't true.)

- "If you don't listen to us, we will kick you from the group." "ru guo ni bu ting, wo jiu ti ni chu dui wu" ---- Sometimes communication is necessary for survival. I hate to be the heavy, but if you can't understand me, (sometimes) I don't want you around. Nothing personal.

Secondly, I want to know how many of you, in the heat of battle, are going to have time or inclination to write this all out? I've seen plenty of English-speaking players who have trouble communicating in English. hehehe
    i have done von5-6 using text only, did shroud, dq and reaver as well. with titan, its hard. btw the time you type fire, it would have regain footing. with vision and hound...... its almost impossible as people are way too focused with the combat and not the text box

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shiffd View Post
    IJapanese is pronounced much like spanish, with WHOLE VOWELS. all vowels have same sound always
    a='aw', e='eh', i=ee(as in pee), o='oh', u=oo(as in poo)

I love you
    ai****eiruyo

will you marry me?
    kekkon ***** kudasai
    Lol. I love how it let you jokingly put in actual references to bodily functions, but it censored your polite japanese.

Turbine should formally apologise with: "****surea shima****a! Bokutachi wa shupai ****a!"
    Nyr Dyv Raiders - Sarlona
    Bloodbath, Barb 20 · Stonehaul, AC Build 20 · Sonnkral, Melee 20 · Sacrament, Cleric 17 · Sentient, Sorcerer 17 · Kimosabe, Archer 20 · Livid, Rogue 15 · Luthiena, Bard 20 · Luxoria, Paladin 8· Machinos, Wiz 8

So anyone have a Canadian to English guide put up yet? ( Disclaimer: Just kidding, lots of my guildies and some of my co-workers are Canadian)
    R.I.P. E.G.G. 3/4/08

Default Thanks for the info

I want to thank you for the time and effort you put into this thread. I am of the type of the three types of people in requards to speaking, multi-lingual, bi-lingual, or american. Sorry, I'm stuck in the american catagory. I ran ww with somebody from china the other day, I tried to help this guy because he was trying, which is more than I can say than alot of pugs I have done. So I think people need to just be patient and give everybody a chance.
    You say I'm crazy, like that's a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Magehound View Post
    I want to thank you for the time and effort you put into this thread. I am of the type of the three types of people in requards to speaking, multi-lingual, bi-lingual, or american. Sorry, I'm stuck in the american catagory. I ran ww with somebody from china the other day, I tried to help this guy because he was trying, which is more than I can say than alot of pugs I have done. So I think people need to just be patient and give everybody a chance.
    nope its as much your effort as it is anyone who posted here. 7 habits of a highly effective person. be proactive. i like to think ddo players are effective..... then again there are so many noobs

Quote Originally Posted by Hvymetal View Post
    So anyone have a Canadian to English guide put up yet? ( Disclaimer: Just kidding, lots of my guildies and some of my co-workers are Canadian)

canadians and australians can be communicated with in the same manner... give 'em a beer and everyone's happy from there on out.
    My DDO Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...princessfairee Added vids Mar'08
    Legends of Aerenal: Here in the beginning; here until the end! Caelan guild officer

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast