Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by honkuimushi View Post
    <CUT>I gained some experience with Japanese and noticed that the old name for the U.S. was bei-koku (米国.) This bei is still used in terms like bei-gun(米軍-U.S. Armed Forces), and nichi-bei taiketsu (日米対決- U.S. vs Japan match.) But this bei, also pronounced mai, means (uncooked) rice. I had believed that bei and mei used the same character. Am I wrong, or was there a change in meaning when the Japanese adopted the charater? 美 (mi) is the character that is generally used for beauty in Japan, but there are no associations with the U.S. as far as I know. Sorry for the hijack, I just wanted to clarify my understanding.
    My understanding of this is that America was called "Beautiful Country" early on. And when America helped to defeat Japan, Korea (and possibly also and China) were quite happy with the "Beautiful Country" designation. However, Japan was not. Japan instead started using "Rice Country" because America was seen as a land of wealth and bounty. But they definitely did not want to call it beautiful.
    Nyr Dyv Raiders - Sarlona
    Bloodbath, Barb 20 · Stonehaul, AC Build 20 · Sonnkral, Melee 20 · Sacrament, Cleric 17 · Sentient, Sorcerer 17 · Kimosabe, Archer 20 · Livid, Rogue 15 · Luthiena, Bard 20 · Luxoria, Paladin 8· Machinos, Wiz 8

Quote Originally Posted by Caelan View Post
    thanks for the translations... yeah, think i'll avoid the numbers if i can and hope the concept gets through based on context. if not, i will use voice and after they stop laughing it should be fine. my feeling is if the non-english speaking players were to see some of us un-educated single language americans making an effort, it should be pretty smooth. as it is, i've got my cheat-sheet stickied up next to my monitor.

i do have a question... i've been noticing some LFMs with what appears to be chinese words in the notation. has any of you who do speak/read the language know if it is and if that is basically that person's way of flagging that run as a chines-speaking run?
    If you're referring to chinese chracters in the LFM, I have not seen any and don't think DDO supports it at all.
    If you're referring to romanized chinese like the Hanyu Pinyin we're referring to in this thread, then, yes, I've seen a number of LFMs like that. Some of them do ask specifically for 'zhong guo ren' (China nationals), or some variation thereof.
    Others just use it as a means of communicating, the same way we do. (XP run, favor run, full series run, part 2 onwards, etc.)

Mmm. I'd be wary of trying to speak chinese using Hanyu Pinyin. I'm not a phonetics expert myself, but I doubt if Hanyu Pinyin can be considered phonetically accurate.
    If you do try though, I'd sure like to be there to hear it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    Don't suppose anyone know's Korean and could teach some words to a newbie? I'm over on Ghallanda, and I think it'd be cool to be able to converse a little more with some people I've played with over there, they've generally made an effort to speak the basics, figure I could learn some as well.
    You are going to need more than a forum, but here are a few words and phrases... All of these will sound funny if you don't say them quickly. For example, we don't pronounce English as "ing-lish". But if you didn't know how to pronounce it, saying "ing-lish" quickly would probably be a good start. I've put the official syllables first, and then how my foreign ears tend to hear it in parentheses.

Hello: yo-bo-se-yo (yo-bo-say-yo)
    Goodbye: (Informal) an-young...
    NOTE: This is short for either "anyunghikeyseyo" or "anyunghikaseyo" depending on whether you are the one leaving or not... Now you know why I just gave you the informal.
    Excuse me: shi-lyeh-ham-ni-da (shi-lay-ham-ni-da)

Please give me some frickin' awesome marinated beef: bul-go-gi chom chu-se-yo (Sounds just like it's spelled)

That last one is all you really need to know to survive in Korea.
    Bloodbath, Barb 20 · Stonehaul, AC Build 20 · Sonnkral, Melee 20 · Sacrament, Cleric 17 · Sentient, Sorcerer 17 · Kimosabe, Archer 20 · Livid, Rogue 15 · Luthiena, Bard 20 · Luxoria, Paladin 8· Machinos, Wiz 8

can we go more simply?

Stop

Go

Gather

buffs

heal

block

loot

wait
    I think DDO should implement these emotes with spoken language by the character model him/herself
    in the native install language of the DDO client program.

For example, if an US DDO client character press the "heal" button/quick key, the sound will play as the English spoken word
    "heal" in US English. If a player in the group uses a French DDO client, it would have spoken "gu&#233;rissez" to the French DDO
    client player. If a chinese DDO client is in the party, it would have spoken "治療" or just "醫" in additional to the
    graphical displays already present in the emotes.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by DelScorcho View Post
    Going to be tough. I can't even communicate with the Canadian players ...
    As a Canadian, I would like to apologize (see, I AM Canadian) for the communication breakdown.

Basically, we just say 'eh' after almost everything, eh? Treat it like an interrogative. There are a few other words, though...

Beer. Like yours, only better tasting and somewhat higher alcohol content. This combination is deadly to some Americans. Be careful.
    Chips. You call them french fries. So do we, except sometimes. Fish and Chips would therefore mean Fish and Fries.
    Caesar. Not the Roman emperor, but instead a tasty drink consisting of vodka, clamato juice (tomato juice with clam), spices, and celery.
    Bi-Partisan. Actually, we don't have a word for that. We have five viable political parties instead of two.
    News. Like yours, except without Glen Beck or Nancy Grace. More of a focus on what actually happened.
    Beaver. Surprisingly, not the woodland rodent, but instead a beaver is a....well.....never mind.
    Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Like your constitution, only without the phrases 'three fifths', or 'right to bear arms'.
    Thelanis; Strngrdanger, Likkerpig, Byrnt, Obgynkenobi, Severancepay, Buffystmarie.

Default Communicating with Canadians 101

Quote Originally Posted by DelScorcho View Post
    Going to be tough. I can't even communicate with the Canadian players ...
    Sorry to hear it man, but I'm curious if you're saying that you can't communicate with us because it's our fault or yours. I'm guessing yours.

Let's go back to the intent of the original post. We'll practice our broken Mandarin with each other so we both have an excuse.
    Bronko Lawbringer
    Founder, Guild Leader, & Official Meat Shield™ of THAC0 on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Make Gazebo cry.
    www.thaczero.net

The great inflex of chinese ddo players is due to the DDO China servers went down for couple month. Most of the loyal followers there decided to give it a try on the US servers. In fact there is a forum entry listing all the common english phrases and acryn. in the unoffical chinese DDO forum.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unionyes View Post
    As a Canadian, I would like to apologize (see, I AM Canadian) for the communication breakdown.

<CUT>News. Like yours, except without Glen Beck or Nancy Grace. More of a focus on what actually happened.<CUT>
    Is there any way to have that Canadian type news delivered here? I mean safely of course... You know. Without triggering anyone to launch a cruise missile strike in your general direction.

I wanted to learn Chinese for sometime. I even bought a "How To Speak" course and a chinese/english keyboard.

After the first 3 minutes of the first cd I was lost. The biggest thing is the exact same word annunciated in varying ways means something totally different.

The first lesson was the word: Ma
    Which if I remember right could mean, Mom, OMG, Horse.. and something else. I listened as carefully as possible to the pronunciation of the said word and meanings, but could barely tell any difference.

I can't sing worth a **** either, I think it is because I'm tone deaf. Learning a language that is based off of the pronunciation of words rather then the words itself, just isn't something that I think I can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldais View Post
    The great inflex of chinese ddo players is due to the DDO China servers went down for couple month. Most of the loyal followers there decided to give it a try on the US servers. In fact there is a forum entry listing all the common english phrases and acryn. in the unoffical chinese DDO forum.
    ooo... link? we could reverse it so easily.
    My DDO Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...princessfairee Added vids Mar'08
    Legends of Aerenal: Here in the beginning; here until the end! Caelan guild officer

Quote Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins View Post
    You are going to need more than a forum, but here are a few words and phrases... All of these will sound funny if you don't say them quickly. For example, we don't pronounce English as "ing-lish". But if you didn't know how to pronounce it, saying "ing-lish" quickly would probably be a good start. I've put the official syllables first, and then how my foreign ears tend to hear it in parentheses.

Hello: yo-bo-se-yo (yo-bo-say-yo)
    Goodbye: (Informal) an-young...
    NOTE: This is short for either "anyunghikeyseyo" or "anyunghikaseyo" depending on whether you are the one leaving or not... Now you know why I just gave you the informal.
    Excuse me: shi-lyeh-ham-ni-da (shi-lay-ham-ni-da)

Please give me some frickin' awesome marinated beef: bul-go-gi chom chu-se-yo (Sounds just like it's spelled)

That last one is all you really need to know to survive in Korea.
    Thanks for that, I'm going to try and memorize some now

Great job

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Default But what do they sound like, these 1's, 2's and 3's? Oh, and 4's...

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    answers
    What tones.... I need some tonal observational material so I don't horribly butcher your language(if even by accident)!

Default Best I can do

Quote Originally Posted by GlassCannon View Post
    What tones.... I need some tonal observational material so I don't horribly butcher your language(if even by accident)!
    download the wma at http://www.cheng-tsui.com/downloads/...1_audio_sample

Gonna translate the first couple of lines into pinyin for your ref.

wo3 xing4 bai2
    wo3 shi4 wang2 peng2 de4 tong2 xue2
    wang2 peng2 xi3 huan1 tiao4 wu3, yue3 xi3 huan1 ting1 ying1 yue4

Hope this helps.

In English:
    My surname is 'bai'
    I am Wang Peng's classmate.
    Wang Peng likes to dance, and also likes to listen to music.

no worries, all caucasians slaughter my language irregardless where they have been, what they have done....... my wife's cousin's sister-in-law is a hawallian who studied chinese in beijing for 10 years and she still sounds funny....
    If you want to know why...

disclaimer: i do not speak this language. this is just info on pronunciation that i've gathered from the forums here and my kids' flash cards. i'm hoping if i'm way off base i will be corrected... you know... before i actually get the wrong sound stuck in my head.

pinyin letter = english phoenetic sound

q = ch
    x = sh
    z = dz
    e = uh
    ui = way
    ü = eu

accent marks and how they effect pronunciation

1: ē = flat pitch, slightly higher than regular speech. (the english word pin is said with a flat pitch
    2: é = rising pitch, like a question (in english, just add a question mark after it, like why?)
    3: ĕ = falling, then rising pitch (in english i think of this as two syllables... the first low and the second as a question... think of the english slang for a female dog... phonetically beee atch)
    4: è = falling pitch (this one i also think of as two syllables but instead of ending in a question tone, i continue the pitch low like an elongated sound... uhm... like the example for gather was jù hé i would say as jew huh?)

am i close?
    My DDO Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...princessfairee Added vids Mar'08
    Legends of Aerenal: Here in the beginning; here until the end! Caelan guild officer

disclaimer: i do not speak this language. this is just info on pronunciation that i've gathered from the forums here and my kids' flash cards. i'm hoping if i'm way off base i will be corrected... you know... before i actually get the wrong sound stuck in my head.

pinyin letter = english phoenetic sound

q = ch
    x = sh
    z = dz
    e = uh
    ui = way
    ü = eu

accent marks and how they effect pronunciation

1: ē = flat pitch, slightly higher than regular speech. (the english word pin is said with a flat pitch
    2: é = rising pitch, like a question (in english, just add a question mark after it, like why?)
    3: ĕ = falling, then rising pitch (in english i think of this as two syllables... the first low and the second as a question... think of the english slang for a female dog... phonetically beee atch)
    4: è = falling pitch (this one i also think of as two syllables but instead of ending in a question tone, i continue the pitch low like an elongated sound... uhm... like the example for gather was jù hé i would say as jew huh?)

am i close?
    almost there!

ooo... link? we could reverse it so easily.
    check out www.ebecn.com, of course you will have to be able to read/write Chinese there.

Lesson 3: Simple Pronunciations

In hanyu pinyin, each pronunciation is actually made up of two parts. Its similar to English.

English example:

oe when combined with f gives foe and with t give toe, both have similar endings but the "front" sound is different.

In hanyu pinyin, it is the same.

Common endings:

a - "ah" (English equivalent of pronunciation), i - "e", u - "oo", e - "eh", o - "oar"

Common starts:
    s - "ser", k - "ker", n - "ner", m - "mer", t - "ter" (note: the "er" is silent)

Example:
    ma = mer+ah, pronounced as "mah"

ni = ner+e, pronounced as "nee"

ku = ker+oo, pronounced as "koo"

so = ser+oar, pronounced as "soar"

te = ter+eh, pronounced as "teh"

okay... question about double vowels. do you pronoune them separate (like science is two syllables) or do you say one over the other (like pie you pronounce the i but not the e)? if you only pronounce one, which gets pronounced? first? second? changes?

i ask because in your example of wait a while... deng(3) yi xia i was trying to figure out how to say the last word, xia. is it shee-ah... shah... shee-ay... shih-ah... shih-ay... shih...

which brought up the next question... do vowels without any accent pronounce long or short. like yi from deng(3) yi xia. is it an i like in pin (yih) or an i like in pie (yie). because every time i see yi my instinct is to say yee. lol

Edit: you were posting at the same time as me on the same subject... answering my questions... a little freaky
    Last edited by Caelan; 06-18-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast