Default Compendium Equipment Information

Otherwise known as a lack thereof.

Whenever I want to know the specific stats of a weapon, my first instinct is to go to the game's website and look it up, which is proving to be somewhat of an exercise in futility for DDO. The most I get is a mild blurb like "This large, curved sword is essentially a scimitar designed to be used with two hands" (often this is repeated needlessly across the page). The description doesn't show any useful in formation such as the damage dealt, basic market price of the item, item's weight or crit range, nothing.

Can someone tell me if anyone plans on correcting this?

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz-Man View Post
    Can someone tell me if anyone plans on correcting this?
    They said they were going to leave that up the player, that means the wiki in my signature.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    They said they were going to leave that up the player, that means the wiki in my signature.
    That's a disgusting idea and I seriously hope that you're wrong.

The very thought that the DDO team (the people being paid money to make a game) would pass the buck onto the players (the people paying good money to play a game) to maintain an accurate source of reference material makes one's hair stand on end.

Someone please tell me that this person is mistaken.

WikiGnome

That's a disgusting idea and I seriously hope that you're wrong.

The very thought that the DDO team (the people being paid money to make a game) would pass the buck onto the players (the people paying good money to play a game) to maintain an accurate source of reference material makes one's hair stand on end.
    I'm not wrong. They've said it themselves, and I've received PMs going into that direction.

The DDO Compendium is a wiki-based compendium. That means that anyone can edit it, except the official tags. You can add whatever you want to it. There are people who have made pages for items, but these people lack the wiki knowledges to do anything consistant. If you can't even set up a template with a couple of #if or #switch, you're going to have some problem when Turbine does a mass change or if you want to add a category or if... you get the point.

For your information, "that person" is the main administrator/editor of the biggest source of DDO knowledge.

Every game has an official source, but the non-official source of information will always be better. Period. Take any game out there, no matter their official knowledge base, there will always be a superior website somewhere. More compelte, with more information. There is an AoCwiki, a Darkfall wiki (that game isn't even out yet), a WoW wiki, a Tabula Rasia wiki, etc the list goes on.

They list the feats, enhancements, spells... to me that's enough, they did their job.

Now, mine is to take care of the rest,
    Borror0

I'm not wrong. They've said it themselves, and I've received PMs going into that direction.

Every game has an official source, but the non-official source of information will always be better. Period. Take any game out there, no matter their official knowledge base, there will always be a superior website somewhere. More compelte, with more information. There is an AoCwiki, a Darkfall wiki (that game isn't even out yet), a WoW wiki, a Tabula Rasia wiki, etc the list goes on.
    I do not argue that what you say isn't true, I simply argue that just because something is does not mean that it should be. It will always be a sad day when one is forced to consider the creator of a certain material to be a singularly bad choice to approach for information regarding said material. And also keep in mind that I am not asking for in-depth information regarding tactics for playing or anything regarding personal experience playing the game, but am merely inquiring about the statistics for particular pieces of basic equipment.

For your information, "that person" is the main administrator/editor of the biggest source of DDO knowledge.
    Oh, and try to keep your ego out of the equation. I'm not impressed.

WikiGnome

I do not argue that what you say isn't true, I simply argue that just because something is does not mean that it should be. It will always be a sad day when one is forced to consider the creator of a certain material to be a singularly bad choice to approach for information regarding said material.
    You build a character, you use weapons. That is their reasoning.
    Besides, if you're looking for basic D&D stuff, there is this website.

Precisely, that page for weapon.

They have to pay someone to do these, you know. It's not the end of the world, the playerbase will always find a way around a lack of information.

Oh, and try to keep your ego out of the equation. I'm not impressed.
    It's not about my ego,"that person" has a pejorative connotation.

What makes anyone think any game company is obligated to provide a complete, detailed list of the loot in their game? If I was a game designer, my quest and weapon compendium would be "Play our game and see what you discover!"

I understand spoiler sites exist but expecting, or worse, demanding the company to provide you one is a bit presumptuous.

Community Member

Otherwise known as a lack thereof.
    The compendium is pretty much pointless and worthless, Edit: IMO. Just a marketing gimmick.
    Last edited by branmakmuffin; 08-09-2008 at 11:59 PM.