Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Community Member madmommajen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    43

    Angry Is this how it always is?

    Real nice of my "team" to ditch me & leave me in only to bail out & then drop party. If this is how players are in this game...I want out. That's TOTALLY a ****** way of handling/dealing with your team. Just up & running when it gets heated??

    Sorry, but I'm frustrated. That just really sucked on their part.
    Jen - Mom, Maid, Goddess in MySpace - Drusella (WF) -Barbarian 10, Petruchio (HL) - Bard 3, Annastacia (H) - Cleric 6, Katherina (D) - Pally 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J.
    I want to share something with you, three sentences that will get you through life:
    #1 - Cover for me. #2 - Oh, good idea, Boss! #3 - It was like that when I got here.

  2. #2
    Community Member dior10276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    156

    Default Sorry

    Sorry for your experience. R u a new player to the game? Unforunately it happens when things don't go so smoothly during a quest. Try the new guild Lowriders. Assio just recently started guild for newbies to DDO. There are also some very experienced players helping out and leveling up their new lowbies. Nice gear has been donated to help out.

    This guild shows a true willingness to help out and get new people into this wonderful game and to make the experience exceptional. It is a great game, but not everyone is so helpful.

    Please don't judge game or people by one experience. Just add those individuals to your friends list and don't run with them anymore. That's what I do.

  3. #3
    Community Member Zenako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,751

    Default

    "Friends List" can be used for both types of "special people", just add a comment to those you really want to remember.

    As to what happened, no it is not typical, but if it was something that just happened, I have to say I seldom ever am playing at these hours or at least not grouped so the mix of players could be a factor.

    I have found that when I group in the afternoon, I tend to run into more younger players, who tend to be less caring about working with people from my experience, while in the evening, a more senior demographic is in play, and they tend to be more considerate of others.

    That being said, perhaps a few details on the situation might help explain the behavior. There are some quests where is something goes wrong you will fail the quest, no good reason to keep trying. It is far easier to recall and regroup and try again than just continue on and fail. If you were running one of those and everyone else in the group knew it, they might have assumed you knew it too, and never said anything.

    The other possibility is some people want to "farm" quests and do not want to complete them, since that requires more work to perhaps reset the quest. You can enter a quest, run to a few spots, loots some quests, recall, break group and reform and then start all over again. If you do not break group, you have to wait five minutes after everyone is out of the quest for it to reset.

    While it does not sound like this was the case, it is possible, and at the very least the leader should have provided some directions either over chat or voice (perferably both).
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

  4. #4
    Community Member Myriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Posts
    203

    Default

    You'll also discover when you're PUGging that someone in the group will pop the quest open on elite, be the first to die, and leave the party 75% of the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCalico View Post
    1) Saves don't stop MM to the face and neither does AC.

  5. #5
    Community Member Uproar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myriam View Post
    You'll also discover when you're PUGging that someone in the group will pop the quest open on elite, be the first to die, and leave the party 75% of the time.
    So true!

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Impaqt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,216

    Default

    Well, your first misconception is that you were part of a "Team" There are very Few "Teams" when pugging..... Its simply a Group of players forced together by the circumstances. very few care about what the group can accomplish.. only what they themselves can get done. and if a member of their group isnt fitting their idea of what "Puling their weight" is, they wil bail. Not only is this true in DDO, Its true in life. Get used to it. It doesnt get easier.

    Explain your situation, Learn from experience, take advice, and if you are simply not compatable with the group, you should look elsewhere yourself. Theres ALL kindsof playstyles in this game. Your bound to find folks that suit yours.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  7. #7
    Community Member talyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    294

    Thumbs up

    Sorry for you bad experience there are lots of good and helpful players out there. A good guild is important to get into not neccesary but a good idea to have help guidance and just plain fun. I run with the Savagly Talented Dragonslayers they are a great guild. I am on most nights atleast for a little while and if you cant find a good group send a tell to swyftbow lvl4, swyftaxe lvl7 or swyftarrow lvl 14 if i amnot already in a group i will run with you.

  8. #8

    Default

    So the answer to your question is - no, this isn't how it always is.

    Sometimes things go bad and people bail. It's probably one of the worst experiences in the game. I do a fair amount of pugging, and while I remember the failures, they aren't all that common.

    As others have suggested, consider looking at a guild on Sarlona that is new player friendly. That's the best way to avoid that kind of meltdown.

    Good luck, and welcome to DDO. I hope you have better luck with your PuGs in the future

    Thelanis
    :
    Axio/Pak/Flavord/Paxi/Axiomus/Efrit/Aximus/Axi/Paximus/Heysoos/DanielAsh/Axioma
    -=[ Archangels ]=-

  9. #9
    Community Member madmommajen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    43

    Default

    You're right. It comes with the territory. I know what to look for in the future though. Up until then, I guess I had really good luck with PUGs. That had NEVER happened to me before.

    Oh well, live & learn.
    Jen - Mom, Maid, Goddess in MySpace - Drusella (WF) -Barbarian 10, Petruchio (HL) - Bard 3, Annastacia (H) - Cleric 6, Katherina (D) - Pally 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J.
    I want to share something with you, three sentences that will get you through life:
    #1 - Cover for me. #2 - Oh, good idea, Boss! #3 - It was like that when I got here.

  10. #10
    Community Member Kalari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    My own pocket plane of dreams...
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    *hugs* Jen remember us girls will be running again soon. Ugh I feel your pain I posted in another thread about quitters, my tank had to go threw with that, when a brilliant group decided to do Durks on elite, even though we were level 2's and some didnt know the quest. Then the leader vanishes soon others did to. It gave my guildmates a chuckle though because they chide me that im too nice when it comes to PUGs. IE I stick it out till its clear the quest is not going to get finished. I just find its courteous not to bail on the poor person trying to keep the group together, but truly hate people who lead to just up and leave and bail on others. Ive only had this happen a couple of times, 2 times ive helped the maintaining group keep going to finish with better results then when the "uber guys" who couldnt take dying decided to bail. Ive just learned to watch out for people like that add them to my do not waste my small amount of game time with and move on. It helps me not chug so many aspirins and antacids.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

  11. #11
    Founder Aaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    31

    Default

    sorry you had a bad experience like that Jen.

    As a player who almost exclusively PUGs, I know your pain. Sometimes you do your damndest to keep the hope alive, but a couple people decide its not worth the trouble or give up real easily and leave you hanging.

    I've found its getting tougher as I get higher level to find groups who have the wherewithall to go all the way, and being unfamiliar with a lot of the quests myself its hard to lead a party into a quest blindly.

    Anyway, I will share the sentiment of some of the other posters. It's a rare thing when the group leader is the one who bails on you. More often, the ones bailing out are the players who were expecting a "better" group (i.e. a group full of twinked out characters who are all alts and who alll know every quest). Even those are not that common. Its not often I get into a BAD group. Most of the gorups I play in are very mature and we work well together to get things done. I guess being a rogue its a bit different becuase people come looking for me for quests sometimes.

    Anyway. I've seen you about sometimes, and I'd be happy to group up with you anytime you want! Skarlette is lvl 8 and Tahlera is lvl 6, so right around Dru's level One or two bad nights do not a terrible community make! Keep trying!
    "No man on his death bed ever said, 'I wish i'd spent more time at the office.'" -Unknown

    Skarlette (8/2 Elf Rog/rgr), Tahlera (7 Drow Clr), Taran (6 Drow Brd)

  12. #12
    Community Member Nevthial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wherever bedlam and sorrow reside, you will find me lurking...
    Posts
    1,574

    Talking They bailed on you, not the other way around...

    It has been stated before , but just remind yourself that they aren't "Uber" if they quit. They are "Losers" ; because everyone knows : Quitters don't win...
    Calamitous Intent***The Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by tchurvul View Post
    ...I even took his robe as a trophy. It's so comfortable..and it reminds me of the sweet sweet taste of victory. All who oppose me meet such a fate, so let it be a lesson to you.
    773-360

  13. #13
    Community Member Zedim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaden View Post
    sorry you had a bad experience like that Jen.

    As a player who almost exclusively PUGs, I know your pain. Sometimes you do your damndest to keep the hope alive, but a couple people decide its not worth the trouble or give up real easily and leave you hanging.

    I've found its getting tougher as I get higher level to find groups who have the wherewithall to go all the way, and being unfamiliar with a lot of the quests myself its hard to lead a party into a quest blindly.

    Anyway, I will share the sentiment of some of the other posters. It's a rare thing when the group leader is the one who bails on you. More often, the ones bailing out are the players who were expecting a "better" group (i.e. a group full of twinked out characters who are all alts and who alll know every quest). Even those are not that common. Its not often I get into a BAD group. Most of the gorups I play in are very mature and we work well together to get things done. I guess being a rogue its a bit different becuase people come looking for me for quests sometimes.

    Anyway. I've seen you about sometimes, and I'd be happy to group up with you anytime you want! Skarlette is lvl 8 and Tahlera is lvl 6, so right around Dru's level One or two bad nights do not a terrible community make! Keep trying!
    Same experience here, overall. The vast majority of PuG's I have been in have been very pleasant to party with, but there certainly have been a few "never againers". The NA's were those who literally screamed angrily at people, called others idiots for the slightest infraction, or bailed halfway through a quest after consistently aggroing three and four mobs at a time under the apparent delusion that their toon is the Terminator (as they got themselves killed consistently by doing this).

    Most folks, however, have been awesome, so have hope Momma! Heck, I'd love to team with yous gyuys if you wanna. I'm on at various times throughout the day. Feel free to add Fumbalo Rumrunner (lvl 5), Mezzinon (lvl 7), or Wolfcat (lvl 4) to your friends list.
    "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a niiiice chianti." *skt skt skt skt skt!!*

  14. #14
    Community Member Lewstherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default Lowriders Guild

    I have to say, I joined the lowriders mid week, and as a "new" returning player after 2 years off, I still had not yet done a raid ever.....that is until Saturday night when the guild leader invited me to join in the dragon raid. It was quite a challenge, being only a lvl 8, but with the guidance, and hlep of the team, it turned out to be a great time. Try finding a guild that matches your playstyle. There is a section listed for guilds on the Sarlona server. You can send me a tell in game under zebbon. Good luck, and chalk it up to experience.

  15. #15
    Community Member unionyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    I belong to a big guild, but I PUG a lot mainly because I like leveling up more than doing raid after raid after raid.

    Some PUG's are good, some are not, but I hope you aren't soured on them or the game because of a bad experience.

    There are a few signs that it is going to be a good PUG, and some that it might not be a good one.

    When I am looking for a group, I look for people who I have run with before and enjoyed playing with, especially if they seemed to know the game very well. If they are in a group, they either know the others in group and will run with them, or if the others turn out to be duds, they are often willing to keep at it and finish shorthanded.

    Another positive sign is if most of the group is in the same guild, and they are PUGing out the last couple of spots. You can usually count on them to stick with things and finish because they are playing as a guild group. You will get a lot less bailing when things get a little rough, and if the party is outmatched for the quest and it is pretty apparent, they will usually want to do something else instead, which is good.

    On the other hand, if you get two people who start arguing about strategy before the quest starts and you get the feeling that they both want to be the leader, things probably aren't going to work out. Discussion is great, but if you hear the phrase 'I've been playing since BETA, man, and I have 39 capped toons so we are gonna do it my way' then things are probably not going to end well.

    There is nothing wrong with a group that consists of the 6 most knowledgeable, skilled, equipped, and super built players in the entire history of the game. But if 5 of them aren't willing to let 1 be the leader, and follow his/her direction during the quest, then watch out.
    Thelanis; Strngrdanger, Likkerpig, Byrnt, Obgynkenobi, Severancepay, Buffystmarie.

  16. #16
    Community Member Mudder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default Been there Done that

    I was in an STK PUG recently where 5 of us has run several quests together. Party leader advertised for a 6th, specifically stating "non-zerg". We finally get a fighter type to join, enter the first part of the quest and our new fighter doesn't move, doesn't respond to chat. We waited for a few minutes, then moved on, didn't drop him. About half-way through the quest, he goes active and types "sorry, kids". We wait for him. He catches up and keeps going. By the time we got to the underwater valve. We got the "Quest Complete" notification. He's already in the second part with a sliver of life. Thats when the party leader has us recall and reform. Was that wrong?

    Hope that wasn't you!!
    Aartemus, Drow Sorcerer 13
    Mudder, Human Cleric 11
    Fistin Dandelus, Dwarven Fighter9/Ranger1
    Sillo Cyban, Drow Rogue 8

  17. #17
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myriam View Post
    You'll also discover when you're PUGging that someone in the group will pop the quest open on elite, be the first to die, and leave the party 75% of the time.
    God! that is my number one pet peave!

    Happens a lot.

    Also saw a group from the same guild leave one by one and reform without the rest of us in a raid once.......funny to me as they were the ones who were screwing things up IMO. I said to those who were left "I guess we didn't zerge and die fast enough for them..."

    really don't understand some people sometimes.

    Not everyone is like that....don't judge to quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  18. #18
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
    I was in an STK PUG recently where 5 of us has run several quests together. Party leader advertised for a 6th, specifically stating "non-zerg". We finally get a fighter type to join, enter the first part of the quest and our new fighter doesn't move, doesn't respond to chat. We waited for a few minutes, then moved on, didn't drop him. About half-way through the quest, he goes active and types "sorry, kids". We wait for him. He catches up and keeps going. By the time we got to the underwater valve. We got the "Quest Complete" notification. He's already in the second part with a sliver of life. Thats when the party leader has us recall and reform. Was that wrong?

    Hope that wasn't you!!
    And there's my number 2 pet peave. If you intend to solo the quest, why join a group?

    You guys shouldn't reformed though.....sounds like he would have stopped being a problem soon enough....I'm sure he would have left group when he died alone.......they always do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  19. #19
    Community Member Kalari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    My own pocket plane of dreams...
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Knowing the Op from partying with her I have to come to her defense. I dont think shes the one Mudder is refering to. Considering Jen is pretty new I doubt shed run ahead and finish stk, considering she probably hasnt really run it all that often. Ive seen her in action she sticks with the group and ive not seen her zerg threw anything. And we went on a run in searing heights where we all died a few times and she never once dropped group. So I know shes patient and definately does not sound like the person from that story. I think if she was left alone she would have typed "hey where are you guys where should I go" more then she would have gone and finished the quest alone. But thats just my take on the situation I wasnt there so I dont know. From what her story sounds like though is everyone was dying having a problem with the quest then left her alone and dropped group. I could be wrong though.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

  20. #20
    Community Member Zedim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    Knowing the Op from partying with her I have to come to her defense. I dont think shes the one Mudder is refering to. Considering Jen is pretty new I doubt shed run ahead and finish stk, considering she probably hasnt really run it all that often. Ive seen her in action she sticks with the group and ive not seen her zerg threw anything. And we went on a run in searing heights where we all died a few times and she never once dropped group. So I know shes patient and definately does not sound like the person from that story. I think if she was left alone she would have typed "hey where are you guys where should I go" more then she would have gone and finished the quest alone. But thats just my take on the situation I wasnt there so I dont know. From what her story sounds like though is everyone was dying having a problem with the quest then left her alone and dropped group. I could be wrong though.
    I agree with you, Kalari. Jen is very cool. I mean, she hung out for at least an hour the other night while we tried to get VoN 3 back underway when she could have moved on. She's a cool player.
    "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a niiiice chianti." *skt skt skt skt skt!!*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload