Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Bind Point (In-Game), Portland, OR (In RL)

Default Plat Sellers Dream Come True

When the mail plat seller filter went in, I'm sure some plat sellers were miffed. Then they had to resort to tells. Turbine countered with the click report tool. I'm sure there has been significant reduction in tells even though it appears to have no effect to alot of us. Now that the tool is disabled, I have been getting them non-stop when I'm playing on a average of 1 every 5 to 10 min. Often from the same company. Since the reporting tool was disabled They are able to spam longer on any one toon than they were before. I have formulated my own countermeasures. I highlight a sellers competitor spam message hit Ctrl-C, then Ctrl-V that in a reply. It serves as spam on his end and if they look at it they might get into a bidding war with each other which could drive the profit out of the business. Shh don't tell them my plan though they might get wise.. In the least if every spam message that went out from them went right back it could make them more annoid than I get when I get the one and two every 10 min..

I know Turbine has a full plate and will be working on getting things right, I just hope its soon. Its the suxor to be in a raid and get distracted by the "Ding" tell message from [some spammer]

I'm still curious has to how they are getting names. I run all my characters on annoymous settings, yet I still get the tells. I assume the macro spammer they are using has some sort of memory and just go through all names they have reached at one point or another.

Or they could be using characters that park theirselves in high traffic areas and run some other macro that tabs through people then exports those names to a spam bot.

All I know when you get on the list you're on the list no matter how under cover you try to be.

Default anon.....

i was wondering how 1 of my toons names got to the spammers.....guildie told me bards were virtually useless no insta kill spells and not able to tank....so i created a war chanter whos gonna tank anything...from the moment he was created was anon,unguilded and in a quest everytime he was on so how do i get spam why im in kobolds new ringleader for over 5 mins. when my toons name appeared nowhere?????????????

Blackbetty,Ramjam,Urdlen,Mange,Lutehor,Lutetor,,In timitard,Shadough,Intimitard

Quote Originally Posted by GATORZ View Post
    i was wondering how 1 of my toons names got to the spammers.....guildie told me bards were virtually useless no insta kill spells and not able to tank....so i created a war chanter whos gonna tank anything...from the moment he was created was anon,unguilded and in a quest everytime he was on so how do i get spam why im in kobolds new ringleader for over 5 mins. when my toons name appeared nowhere?????????????
    all new toons have to show up in the newbie harbor tavern.

The Server Formerly Known As Aerenal ...and Cannith
    Legends of Aerenal: Officer - Gods and Heroes: Peon
    Allectus Siff, James Tiberius Kirk, Spanner Siff, Syphax Siff, Ulixes Siff, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GATORZ View Post
    You know that 'other' new guy, the total noob who was just sort of standing there on the dock, just off the boat to Stormreach? The one who looked like he was getting his screen all set up, hotbars, that kind of thing...............
    Thelanis; Strngrdanger, Likkerpig, Byrnt, Obgynkenobi, Severancepay, Buffystmarie.

Default wavecrest

i was level 3 b4 i recieved spam and as i said i was in quest for over 5 mins

Blackbetty,Ramjam,Urdlen,Mange,Lutehor,Lutetor,,In timitard,Shadough,Intimitard

What about disabling 'tells' from trial accounts? It would be a small concession. If the plat farmers want to pay for a real account let them. They can then be 'squelched'.

This might suck a bit for the person who actually wants to send legit tells on a trial account but I think it's more than worth it.
    Bellytwo - Ranger Jojo - Rogue Tummy Ranger/Fighter
    Tickles - Wizard Belly - Ranger/Fighter Cherry - Bard
    Bellybelly- Barbarian Yosh- Cleric Tummmy - Mutt
    Bellly - Mutt Ranger Supertummy - Pally Superbelly - FVS
    TA - Khyber

Disable tells from trial accounts is a good idea, but you may also allow them to tell 2-3 people per hour, that way a real friend could find you and let you know to enable tells from trial accounts.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MageLL View Post
    I'm still curious has to how they are getting names. I run all my characters on annoymous settings, yet I still get the tells. I assume the macro spammer they are using has some sort of memory and just go through all names they have reached at one point or another.

Or they could be using characters that park theirselves in high traffic areas and run some other macro that tabs through people then exports those names to a spam bot.

All I know when you get on the list you're on the list no matter how under cover you try to be.
    Even when you are on anon when you walk by people see your name. I wonder if that means you name is sent in the background to anyone in your instance and that they have hacked the code somehow to capture those names for everyone who walks through a highly trafficed area they park in like the market... Total guess mind you, but it is currious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrn Siff View Post
    That might be it. I seem to get less tells that most people, but I haven't rolled any new chars since the server merge except on my second server and I do get more tells on that char...

To the people getting 25+ tells per hour, are you on a newer char?

Oh, and if the plat farmers read these forums...what the heck are you thinking? What customer in their right mind would deal with a company who constantly harresses you? Damn stupid to be that annoying, you aren't even helping yourself. Go away. People who want you will find you without bothering the player base like that.
    Last edited by Lorien the First One; 04-28-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    What about disabling 'tells' from trial accounts? It would be a small concession. If the plat farmers want to pay for a real account let them. They can then be 'squelched'.

This might suck a bit for the person who actually wants to send legit tells on a trial account but I think it's more than worth it.
    Don't disable tells from trial accounts completely, it will make the game too unfriendly. New ppl need help!

But, limit them to a small number of tells/hour (unlimited to guildies, people in your party, and people who have you on their friend's list). Also stop tells until they have finished the first quest for Sigmond. That should substantially slow the plat farmers (say 5 or 10 tells and then they have to recreate a char...which will take 10 min to do)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    Don't disable tells from trial accounts completely, it will make the game too unfriendly. New ppl need help!

But, limit them to a small number of tells/hour (unlimited to guildies, people in your party, and people who have you on their friend's list). Also stop tells until they have finished the first quest for Sigmond. That should substantially slow the plat farmers (say 5 or 10 tells and then they have to recreate a char...which will take 10 min to do)
    I tend to agree with that. Don't limit it completely from trial accounts but put a random and reasonable number of tells per minute/hour. Whichever would work best. I doubt many of us send out 100 tells in an hours time, so it generally would not effect us at all since we are on payed accounts. But, I'd take it a step further. Once this is done, the farmers will go about spamming us as quickly as they can then log off. Knowing full well a GM does not look into an offline toon. To combat this dirty trick, allow gm's to look into offline toons to investigate further. If they are using credit cards to make trial accounts, ban that number and any account attached to it. The plat farmers for a long time felt safe once they logged offline, make it where even offline they are no longer safe.
    Proud Leader of the Shadowhand.

A is A. -John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    I wonder if that means you name is sent in the background to anyone in your instance and that they have hacked the code somehow to capture those names for everyone who walks through a highly trafficed area they park in like the market... Total guess mind you, but it is currious.

I often wondered the same thing. Before MOD6 I would never get tells from platt farmers because I was always annon. Then a couple weeks after the new mail system came out I started getting tells on all my toons. Even my mule gets spamm tells and I'm never on him for more than a min or two at a time. Seems to me they now have a way to see you online even tho you are annon.

go to their site ask for your chars to be removed from their list. List the chars they already know about and the server.

problem moved if not solved

edit: my english was as bad as theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrn Siff View Post
    I have created several characters recently (to reserve Monk names) and each time there has been at least one "player" just standing there on the pier where we first appear. Since I usually stand there for a few minutes myself, re-arranging the screen windows to my preferred layout, I never thought anything about it.

I know that at least one of these was a seller as I was looking directly at the name over the alt when I got their tell.

You aren't anonymous until you change your settings, which prompts an idea... The devs should be able to alter the initial character settings to where "anonymous" is default. In real life people don't know you until you introduce yourself anyway, right? While suggesting changes it would also be nice if a "default settings.ini" file could be implemented to save your preferences locally and have them deployed to each new alt, so you don't need to stand around making adjustments.

Any opinions on this helping the situation?
    Last edited by Hambo; 04-28-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Clicking on anon in the who panel doesnt always make you anon either. Click the anon button, then search for your name in the who panel, i am almost always there. This i found, because i would almost always still get tells from whoever, even when i have anon clicked.

i have to click on anon, find me in the who panel, uncheck and check anon again, make sure i cant see me on the who list, log out, switch toons, and log back in. If when i log in anon is checked, then i seem to be really anon.

This is just what i noticed has happened several times. Just ask someone to tell you if they see you on the who list (although that kinda defeats the purpose of being anon lol).

FWIW

RIch
    ---------------------
    Faskin-Lorich-Lorichae-Lorichei-Loriches-Lorichh-Lorichha-Lorichie-Lorichies-Lorichiette-Lorichisoul-Lorricch-Lorrich

Quote Originally Posted by Ardanroth View Post
    go to their site ask for your chars to be removed from their list. List the chars they already know about and the server.

problem moved if not solved

edit: my english was as bad as theirs
    Uh....no.

Turbine do something about it already. I average a plat seller spam about every ten minutes, it's ridiculous.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearle Harbor?

Talking PVP by all mail areas

This may cause more problems than it solves, but would be a fun way to deal with plat sellers. Nothing would be more satisfying than placing a +5 flaming battle axe in the head of Asdfsasdfs. Ah... good times.

P.S. sorry to Asdfsasdfs if you are a legit player.

Community Member

I will never understood why a simple filter can't be added. The spammers have to include their web address or the tell/email will be useless. Any tell/email that contains an address on the list gets deleted and generates a report to a GM just like you hit the harassment button. Also send a reply to the sender in case something innocent was accidentally blocked. Sure they can register new addresses but how many times can they do that if the new address is blocked within a few days. Somehow I just can't see spam saying "Come to www.asdfg345345.com for the best deals!!!"

If there's something I missed and a filter can not be added then put tell/email limits on trial accounts. Most people expect a trial account to have restrictions so I doubt it would even be noticed. From what I read in the past this may be more of a programming headache than the filter since DDO currently has no tag for trial accounts outside of billing.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucky View Post
    I will never understood why a simple filter can't be added. The spammers have to include their web address or the tell/email will be useless. Any tell/email that contains an address on the list gets deleted and generates a report to a GM just like you hit the harassment button. Also send a reply to the sender in case something innocent was accidentally blocked. Sure they can register new addresses but how many times can they do that if the new address is blocked within a few days. Somehow I just can't see spam saying "Come to www.asdfg345345.com for the best deals!!!"

If there's something I missed and a filter can not be added then put tell/email limits on trial accounts. Most people expect a trial account to have restrictions so I doubt it would even be noticed. From what I read in the past this may be more of a programming headache than the filter since DDO currently has no tag for trial accounts outside of billing.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Devs: Make a regular expression filter!!!

Players: don't send the plat farmers tells back at them. If you do that, they can legitimately report you and get you a three day ban.

Garth

Garth 20/ftr (Kensei) Haeson 20/clr Cairis 12/ftr 6/rgr 2/rog Xortan 20/wiz
    Tinosa 20/brd Garthbot 20/fvs Gaarth 18/ftr 1/rgr 1/rog (Stal Def)
    Tibetan 20/mnk Automatic DDO raid timers Haezon 20/sor (Conj)

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast