Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default The Plane of Spammerwrath

Welcome to the Plane of Spammerwrath!

Here in the Plane of Spammerwrath, we will discuss all things spammer related. From suggestions, discussion, or just general frustrations, let's bring all the spam talk together so that we aren't spamming the forums with.... spam. You need to remember only 4 things during your visit here in the Plane of Spammerwrath...

1. No naming names
    If you're going to talk about the spammers, remove any reference to their names.
    2. Do not provide any spam website URLs, site names, phone numbers, email addresses, or messenger information.
    Don't do their advertising for them!
    3. Forum guidelines still apply
    Remember, the Cube is watching! Keep those discussions within the rules
    4. Spam related discussions will be brought to the Plane of Spammerwrath
    Let's keep the spam discussions in the related thread. Spam about spam is...well... spam.

Other things of interest in the Plane of Spammerwrath

• Read the recent Letter to the Cube about spam (for more letters from the cube, visit the First and Second edition of the Dear Cubie series)
    • Our In-game support team is still actively banning spammers
    • You can still report spammers using the help panel or one-click reporting tools

Default As I was saying

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    TehSilence, I believe you had the floor when we left off ^^
    Um.. Yeah. So, uh... anyway...

My uberlong post is over here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=145260&page=22

To sum up:

1) Adding the switch to stop tells from trial accounts that aren't from your friend or guild list will limit spammers and will not hurt new players. See my former post for my reasons, as long as it is implemented correctly with the windowed OK box.

2) Block tells that refer to blacklisted websites (and keep a blacklist!) will stop the tells from paid accounts and tells to trial players, and would be effective if done right. See my former post for reasons.

-Silence
    Last edited by TehSilence; 07-02-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people

Don't like the idea of blocking tells from new players. If one person who doesn't realise what is happening walks away telling people how rude and unhelpful the player base is they could put off another 10 and so on down the line.

I still think the best option is to put a text on block on websites that appear in reported tells. It would have to be done manually by a GM and would be a big job to start but would not take much to maintain after that. It won't take long for all possible workarounds such as plat-farmers-r-idiots.com (please remove all - marks to access site or send email) to be added to the blocked list. If someone attempts to send a tell with these blocked sites it could automatically be reported. This would mean
    A) Pretty soon, no more annoying tells from farmers
    B) New players are still able to ask for help when needed
    C) The plat farmers would be effectively be reporting themselves by sending a tell and saving us all trouble.
    Last edited by Falco_Easts; 07-02-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

Unguilded of Orien

blocking tells are bad. when i was new, i used it to talk to people and to ask people. sure you can get the friends list to help but again not all people have friends in their friends list!

but i do like the idea of preventing trial accounts from sending out tells after they have finished the tavern quests. is this going to help? while not much, it is going to make it easier for them to start work (prolly like 15-20 min of effort). it makes them more visible since they can only send tells from stormreach rather straight at the island. this ensures the chance of discovering them to be higher and the likelihood of them being reported will be higher.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the gms NEED TO ACT ASAP the moment they are reported. i have reported plat sellers and still see them standing in the same place for 3-4 hrs. this is not acceptable if you truely want to wipe them from this game
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Falco_Easts View Post
    Don't like the idea of blocking tells from new players. If one person who doesn't realise what is happening walks away telling people how rude and unhelpful the player base is they could put off another 10 and so on down the line.
    I hear ya, but if it was done with the windowed OK message box, there would be no reasonable excuse for someone not to realize what is happening. If someone still didn't get it after getting the windowed message, then they will likely also misinterpret other parts of the game. For example, I find it far more likely for a new player to mistype the command "/tell", get an error message, and then tell their friends you can't do /tell communication in DDO than for someone to get the windowed message I described and not understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    blocking tells are bad. when i was new, i used it to talk to people and to ask people. sure you can get the friends list to help but again not all people have friends in their friends list!
    True, it would prevent the blind tells, if that's what you are talking about. It would be up to the veteran player to uncheck their checkbox if they saw someone posting on the General chat and wanted to carry on a /tell conversation with them.

Actually, this may be turn out to be better for new player PR, because in my experience, most of the people I've sent a blind /tell to as a new player in a game ignore me. I have to go through maybe 2-3 no-responses before I find a helpful soul. At least in this case the newbie will get a nice message explaining why they can't talk to the person, and won't think the person themselves is rude.

Regarding the complete /tell blocking until after the Tavern quest, I don't like that. It would prevent the new player from communicating with people who want to communicate with them, whereas the other methods I like don't. I want to be able to have my friend start up a trial account and communicate with them through /tells if they need any help, without having them join my guild and clutter up guild chat. The solutions above would both protect me from spam AND allow me to talk with my friend, all I have to do is add him to my friends list.

-Silence
    Last edited by TehSilence; 07-03-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Default spammers beware

Hi, I would like to start my 2 cents worth with a "Good Job" on the mailbox spam, It was why I left the game because of the mailbox issue and I came back when it was fixed. Now to the problem at hand. I have a few ideas, and I think that any of them or any part of them may prove useful.

One idea would be to make sure that ALL ddo trial accounts had to dish out real life money, in order to actually use the game, and that if after a week trial they dont like it, they simply email Turbine for a full refund which freezes the account and makes it inactive. Also, if a trial account gets reported by more then 5 people then it automatically gets frozen, and the paid amount gets forfeighted until it is disproved that they were spamming. If at any time they are found to be spamming, the account is forfeight, turbine keeps the purchase price, and the owner gets reported to a government agency for whatever they can be done for automatically in an email.

My other idea is this: Restrict tells, to 1) people on the friends list (like mail) or their accounts whos characters you have tagged for tells. or, to 2) people in the same raid or group as you , hence you could communicate with all of them in private without any problem, 3) tells from other people , if you recieve A TELL, from a player, instead of the tell coming to you if NOT on your Friends list, or raid or group it AUTOMATICALLY sends you a tell from ddo saying "Xxxx" is trying to communicate with you via a tell, and you click either ACCEPT or REJECT, (WITH a toggle to either "Automatically accept non friendly tells" so that in a dungeon or raid you could switch the ability of others to send you tells without having to click accept or reject mid fight. IF you have the
    Automated Accept / Reject toggled to ON, then you press accept, too bad for you if you cop the spam tell, for those who want to pay for plat, this gives them the option to buy to their hearts content. If you click Reject, ddo Automatically sends the Spammer a tell in reply saying "xxxx" rejected your tell, please try again later. If you have it switched off due to raid "xxxx" is in a raid or instance, and has this feature turned off. Please feel free to contact them again later.

Just a couple of starter ideas. Perhaps you could work on these as a base for keeping alive the fun of the game instead of copping a tell every hour or two. It would be like "xxxx" has cast greater teleport to Gianthold, click Accept to teleport or cancel to reject, you could even put a timer on it for say 10 seconds, in case people want to RAID and accept spammer tells.

Vorpalsword (khyber)
    Vorpalmonk (khyber)
    Dragonmonk (khyber)
    Yamantaka (khyber)
    Trapdoor (khyber)
    Fabled (khyber)
    Lazybones (khyber)
    Royalpain (khyber) and so on...
    Vorpalsword , Yamantaka , Battlelord , Deathsbreath
    Guild Leader of: Loot Gods.
    'Loot Gods - Where the Sacrafices just keep coming...'

Default Comments

Thanks for the tuppence! Some good input there.

While charging for a trial account would definitely slow down the spammers, it also makes it less likely that the same number of people will try the game. Not sure how I feel about this. You want everyone who would like to try the game to be able to do so with the least amount of hassle. Maybe most of the trial users never buy and implementing something like this wouldn't affect recruiting, but who knows.

Personally I think that the other measures would do well enough to stop spammers that we wouldn't need to charge the trial accounts. Also, it would take a lot of effort to have Turbine managing all these refunds. Turbine also gets charged for the transaction, if it's a credit card purchase, so they would be paying money out to allow people to play trial accounts.

I like your /tell idea of automatically accepting from the group you are in. As long as it factors in the squelch command, I think that should be a part of any tell schema implemented.

I don't like the accept/reject thing, though. I don't want to hear from spammers at all. Even though their message might not get through, it's just as annoying to get a message SAYING they are trying to send me a tell that I have to accept or reject. Although, as I re-read your message, it seems you may be trying to say that you can somehow set this to stop all tells, but I can't be sure. Also, I don't think we want whatever switching-mechanism that gets set up to be too complicated. Too much and people will get frustrated about how to set it properly.

-Silence
    Last edited by TehSilence; 07-07-2008 at 11:02 AM.

I like the idea of preventing tells from trial accounts unless they are on your friends list, guild, etc. It seems the biggest problem with that is alienating actual trial players. I have a idea how to help them. First set up a channel for new player help. A channel anyone can monitor or chat in and one that new characters automatically are entered into. Second is to set up a mentor system. I would certainly be willing to flag myself as a mentor at times, and take tells from new players. I know most of the people in my guilds would probably flag themselves at times as well. This could be a window that new players look at and see a list of available mentors. Maybe this would even show how helpful the community can be here.

I am sure if a nice thoughtful message was given to trial accounts explaining how the tell system works, and why they can't send tells to random players they would understand. DDO isn't the only game with gold seller problems.

Community Member

Spam is pretty awful lately. I seriously question whether there is any work being done to curb the activity.

Default STOP!!!!Plattfarmer tells

Well it's time to renew this topic, again.

Maybe one of these days turbine will get a clue....
    I know this has been talked about (alot) and many many ideas have been thrown out there as to how to stop the tells from trial accounts. ALL i ask is: turbine please pick one and put it in to game, soon!!!

BTW best idea out there right now is: make it so tells can only go to one person at a time and put a 30 sec/ 1 minute cool down timer on tells. (like you have on the forums) This will still let noobs send tells to get ?s answered but it will slow down the platframers so much it wont be worth the time.

what ever way you choose just PLEASE pick one and put it in game.

Community Member ShadowDragon665's Avatar

I laugh at PlatFarmer tells. I mean, come on .. just when I thought there was nothing lower than a telemarketer .. along come these losers.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon665 View Post
    I laugh at PlatFarmer tells. I mean, come on .. just when I thought there was nothing lower than a telemarketer .. along come these losers.
    LMAO!! Good point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

Aranticus did that thread on conversational chinese...maybe we should see if he'll translate something rather rude for us to respond with (assuming chinese/chinese speaking platfarmers, this may or may not be the case).

I could put up the phrase I would like, but it would probably show up all in asterisks/giant flashing "Hey Cube! Over here"

Haven't been getting huge numbers of these, and they rarely really bother me.
    Near useless builds for those who want a challenge: The True(ly Useless) Necromancer - The Abuse Sponge Paladin
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Y'know, I share the non-love for plat farmers. I really do.

But a timer on tells? Really? >> I send upwards of, like, 8 tells in 30 seconds sometimes. Sometimes to the same person. . . That would really kinda bite. . .

Just ignore them. It isn't the greatest solution, but ignoring does help. . . Soon as I see that random letter name, I look back to what I'm doing. Yes, a filter on, say, websites would be great. Maybe say you can't put websites in chat (Allow them to still have it in mail. Which then works because plat farmers are Unconfirmed mail.). If a friend really, really, really wants you to see a site, maybe they could link it to you on MSN Messenger. Or send it in a mail.

A timer on tells would hurt everyone more than it'd help. . .

-D
    Thelanis - Warforged Shield of the <Fellowship of the Golden Night>

Community Member

Have you ever organized a Raid amongst 3 guilds before?

A timer on /tells would kill our inter-guild madness, as Ventrilo gets way too crammed with 18 people in it.

mIRC + Vent + DDO would be too much latency on things too. Of course, this combo would work well for organizing Serverwide Raid flagging and running......

OP suggests cooldown timer on tells for TRIAL ACCOUNTS. This in no way shape or form would inhibit your raiding experience, unless you purchase plat while beating down portals in shroud part 1

Seriously, OP brings up an important topic that just keeps on coming up. This weekend has been an all time worst for plat farmer tells for me personally logging over 15 during part one of the shroud. This nonsense has to stop and there have been a large number of great suggestions on how to stop them since almost all these tells come from trial accounts. I would personally bring back up my favorite, a text filter on trial accounts that instantly bans the account if the names of any of the plat websites comes up or certain key phrases such as gold as low as...
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Community Member

I would like them to stop as well. Their bots cause lag spikes that literally lock me up or freeze me when I get chained /tells.

I like my most recent idea.

1. Platseller Spams you
    2. You use that handy dandy 1 click report Spam button
    3. Turbine determines thaqt this person truly is a a Platseller and nukes his/her account
    4. Turbine send you a 1000 Plat Reward

and remember folks have your Platsellers Spay or Neutered
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

Didn't you all know that "simply" by ignoring the spam tells, the problem is solved? That by ignoring them, they will go away? At least that is what many others keep telling me over the last two years of them spamming players. Strange, how ignoring them has not changed anything nor stopped the plat spam. Well, I guess maybe someday if we keep "ignoring" them that by magic they will somehow go away on their own?
    Proud Leader of the Shadowhand.

A is A. -John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by Tomalon View Post
    Well it's time to renew this topic, again.

Maybe one of these days turbine will get a clue....
    I know this has been talked about (alot) and many many ideas have been thrown out there as to how to stop the tells from trial accounts. ALL i ask is: turbine please pick one and put it in to game, soon!!!

BTW best idea out there right now is: make it so tells can only go to one person at a time and put a 30 sec/ 1 minute cool down timer on tells. (like you have on the forums) This will still let noobs send tells to get ?s answered but it will slow down the platframers so much it wont be worth the time.

what ever way you choose just PLEASE pick one and put it in game.
    no, the best way to get them is to fry their farming accounts. i caught 2 farmers in riedra (pre merge). for the whole month after they were banned, i did not recieve any tells. a check on the site also showed all items to be out of stock for the server. that is the best way to get them

and yes, turbine does go after them
    If you want to know why...

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast