Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Community Member

I has gotten better, no question.

Great to see it too.

Still getting it, but the frequency seems to be down dramatically...

Maybe the lack of high level content has reached the point that even the plat farmers cant take the repetition any more...

IM JUST TEASING! Thanks Turbine for whatever you've been doing to minimize the annoying mid quest "ding" of a plat tell!
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Looting's our business and business is good.
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

Default what they did

well i may be mistaken, but has anyone tried to find a link to the trial progrom reicently?

suer it will be back eventually, but who knows/cares ive got an account thats paid off till next june, and i will surely be buying annother year at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by TehSilence View Post
    Um.. Yeah. So, uh... anyway...

My uberlong post is over here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=145260&page=22

To sum up:

1) Adding the switch to stop tells from trial accounts that aren't from your friend or guild list will limit spammers and will not hurt new players. See my former post for my reasons, as long as it is implemented correctly with the windowed OK box.
    Good idea but howabout this instead: trial players can't send tells to anyone higher than their own level and levels 1-5 can only send tells to players no more than 3 levels above their own. That pretty much limits spammers to spamming each other.

2) Block tells that refer to blacklisted websites (and keep a blacklist!) will stop the tells from paid accounts and tells to trial players, and would be effective if done right. See my former post for reasons.
    Bad idea. Redirect webpages are trivial to create: Spammers would simply create these and redirect you to their "banned" websites. The blacklist would fill up almost immediately with dead URLs. Way too much trouble to implement.

Here's a better idea: Periodically run sting operations to catch players buying gold and ban them en mass, being very public about the bannings and why they were banned. A couple of sweeps like that and gold buying will become very unpopular: W/O a market to sell to the gold spammers will go look for some other game to infest.
    --
    "Experience" is Navajo for "need more bandages"
    Code:
                                       <==>
                                    {\ (\/) /}
                                    { \{~~}/ }
                                    { /{><}\ }
                                     ~  **  ~
    Angel Bunny is watching you!

Quote Originally Posted by Quanefel View Post
    Didn't you all know that "simply" by ignoring the spam tells, the problem is solved? That by ignoring them, they will go away? At least that is what many others keep telling me over the last two years of them spamming players. Strange, how ignoring them has not changed anything nor stopped the plat spam. Well, I guess maybe someday if we keep "ignoring" them that by magic they will somehow go away on their own?
    They don't understand that spammers WANT to be ignored: they make their living off the 2% of players who respond favorably. If the other 98% ignored them they'd be perfectly happy to keep spamming and filling up chat windows with spams, creating lag spikes, etc.
    --
    Code:
                                       <==>
                                    {\ (\/) /}
                                    { \{~~}/ }
                                    { /{><}\ }
                                     ~  **  ~

Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    So Turbine should cancel accounts from paying customers and receive less money?
    Do you buy farmed platinum? Do you know anyone who does? That's because only a tiny, tiny fraction of the player base actually does. It's freak'n EASY to make money in-game w/o buying it from spammers so only a handful of players bother. But that tiny number of customers is why we all get spam-bombed.

I'd argue that whatever revenue Turbine loses by disconnecting these idiots would be more than offset by the increase in retention rate of the rest of the playerbase.
    Last edited by Orion; 10-22-2008 at 10:26 AM.
    --
    Code:
                                       <==>
                                    {\ (\/) /}
                                    { \{~~}/ }
                                    { /{><}\ }
                                     ~  **  ~

Community Member

My view on this is that Turbin is in on the deal. I had two accounts permantly baned because this made me so mad that I was harassing the online DMs, which by the way I see them doing nothing about the spammers! I say make items more availble and cheaper in the market. Bring back scrolls like wall of fire and the others they got rid of because this is also feeding the black market. I know some will say that makes wizards to powerful but that is D&D and if you do not like that person you do not have to group with them. By banning tells, from the new people, will only hurt the game. It is also like punnishing some one for a crime they did not commit. Not a good idea. The only way to fight a black market is not ban items and to make items more aviable and cheaper.
    Last edited by spellrat; 12-02-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    couldnt resist so i have to post

"ni hao, qing ni bang wo xiang ni mu qing wen sheng hao." = hi, please help me send my regards to your mother

this is as "polite" as a rude remark it can get. i can post the really disgusting ones...... unless you are willing to absorb the infractions for me
    now that is funny...it may take me awhile but i'm gonna send this to all the plat farmers that /tell me
    Bluntt,Proud Officer of the Truth Seekers
    Adapt or Die,or be a ddo'er and /whine
    Blunttphorse,Madkill,Mait Manic,Ewak,Holmez,Rollin,Axeme Acers

Default Fun with spammers

Come on, why not make the spammers flag PVP anywhere? Once someone has been reported for spamming and verified, just have the GM label them pvp enabled instead of banning them. Then watch the public take care of it. It's like conceal carry laws in real life, the smart criminals will walk more carefully while the not so smart are getting killed.

Actually if Turbine really wanted to be rid of plat sellers I am sure they could. But they want the money those accounts used for farming the plat brings in, and they want the numbers of accounts active to stay up.

So since its not really in their interest to get rid of them, then use them in a different fashion and just create a Turbine run, RMT plat exchange system, similiar to what secondlife uses. You have plat you wanna sell you post it in something like an AH that logs the amount in a website based system. People who actually wanna buy plat go to that site, they order a certain amount of plat, the system figures up an amount based on what Turbine or the community sets it at per 1000plat. The system gathers the plat from the combined stores available, charges the buyer and issues a credit to the person or persons whos plat was used in the transaction via paypal or a credit card payment, minus a fee for themselves, and the plat is sent in mail to the buyer.

This would stop the spams, and even help regular players who just want to get a bit of extra money by letting them sell their excess plat, etc. Plus, helps Turbine regulate and see what kind of plat is changing hands and pretty much puts plat sellers out of business in DDO. Downside could be increased prices on items in teh AH, however, arent we already dealing with retarded prices in the AH on alot of things as is?
    Last edited by Ninevrise; 12-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Sarlona Native

*scratches head*

I can't speak for everybody but since the new mod I've gone from getting 4-5 plat farm tells in an hour to getting 1 tell and email in a week. Its not completely gone but I can say they have made a SERIOUS dent in cutting it down to something pretty manageable.
    Sarlona: Dymondd Sar Tennith: lvl 15 Human Paladin/Fighter - Rusty Pick Guild
    Khyber: SparrHawk Instellius lvl 17 Human Paladin, Storrmyy Instellius lvl 16 Drow Cleric, Teknikal SuhPoort lvl 16 Dwarf Barbarian, Falcynn Instellius lvl 8 Halfling Ranger - Elite Noobs

There's got to be security holes in the clients allowing chat/plat spammers to run their programs. Close them and we'll get rid of them.
    Kirwin Hansel - Human Cleric
    Eloric Foecleaver - Dwarven Barbarian

I've stated this before. The spammers are using the trial program for all their spamming. It's simple. Remove use of mail and tells from the free trial. When they pay for an account then they would be activated. Alot of free trials are like that. You don't get the full use of the game until you pay for it. As for naming spammers in this forum. Well they just hit random keys send their spams and then delete the toon. Also if you find someone in the game buying from a spammer then remove what he or she bought. This way they paid for nothing. I've been warned by GMs not to cuss the spammers. I look at it this way they don't pay for they game and they ruin the economic balance of the game. My favorite thing to ask a spammer is " Does That Come With A Happy Ending?" Because that's what they're basiclly doing is screwing you.

Community Member

Talking They did a good job killing spammers off

When I started I would get at least 15 spam tells a day!After my 1st week I started sending them tells in form of death threats and what not I still go to thier sites and threaten them!Now days it comes to my mail boxes when I see it I report it...I'm in agreement with the free trials not having those rights...its abused by RMT(real money trading)groups all the time in every mmorpg..the more u let them do with a free trial the more they spam!Nice job killing it off though I get bout 1 mail a week now thank you!

Default thanks tolero heres my thoughts

Here is my thought

There are two ways to look at Farmers/spammers

1) they are a part of mmo life just learn to ignore it

or

2) why do players need the money so bad that they are willing to use plat farmers and thus build the need for them to continue spamming us in game?

I see it both ways

they are a part of mmo life and the reason they are part of mmo life is cause of the costs PLAYERS put on there items.

I play every day for at least 4 hours thankfully i have a wife who is understanding of my video game addiction and I am smart enough to get her puzzle games for my ps3 so she too can be kept entertained till i am ready to get off DDO.

That being said i have only ever seen more then 2 million gold on any of my characters twice in my life and needless to say it didnt last long between buying mana pots for my cleric or wiz or heal pots and wands for cleric wiz and fighters who need them in daily supply costs in ddo are what makes plat farmers seem like the easy way out for alot of gamers in alot of games.

I personally am against it and will run missions till i either out level the loot i wanted or find something that will suffice. But when i look at the AH and people want multiple millions for devil scales or 10 million or more for 25 dragon scales and wounding puncturing weapons (which means if they are on the AH the person already has two or more on multiple toons) .

We all know Turbine points wont buy plat out right ... and even if they did it would have to be dirt cheap to compete with farmers. And then we would have to much money going around the game causing other problems.

Here is my three step solution to getting rid of plat farmers once and for all

1) cap the AH highest price possible to 2 million gold aka 200,000 plat.

- what this does is lower the value of plat to the player and though it may make
    some resort to the forums for sales of what they think are uber items ... and if
    they choose to do that they should know that they are not helping the issue
    they are directly the cause of the issue.

2) Make named non bound loot more frequent in chests ... this will like with vorpals bring down there AH value in plat while still making them worth purchasing if you dont want to run missions multiple times out of dislike (pop is sooooo boring to me) and still not cheap at 2million plat if you dont plat farm yourself (loot *****s is what plat farmers are at the end of the day they just sell it off for cash).

3) make more named loot bound to person who picks it up .... this will like IR vestments make people have to get it in the mission and not let them sell it in AH.

if IR was in AH it would go for stupid millions of plat and its not even that great really I have one and i never wear it since i got my Dragoncraft armor from RR finished. (which is also the reason i think the price of 25 scales is silly DC armor from RR is 80% of the time much better overall)

The problem is you wonderful people at turbine prolly wont follow steps two and three leading to people turning to Plat farmers for items

and the people of stormreach are too greedy to follow step one ... so ....

in the end blame yourself for plat farmers existance

if your not part of the solution your part of the problem.
    SITH HAPPENS
    [])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████████
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1 View Post
    drfirewater... thanks for being the voice of reason!

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drfirewater79 View Post
    1) cap the AH highest price possible to 2 million gold aka 200,000 plat.
    not true, limit is 2mil plat

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    not true, limit is 2mil plat
    at 2 million plat it doesnt work that is why i said cap the AH at 2 million gold

that lowers the need for high amounts of plat and thus lowers the need to buy plat from farmers thus lowering the need for farmers thus no more spam
    SITH HAPPENS
    [])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████████
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1 View Post
    drfirewater... thanks for being the voice of reason!

Quote Originally Posted by samagee View Post
    Come on, why not make the spammers flag PVP anywhere? Once someone has been reported for spamming and verified, just have the GM label them pvp enabled instead of banning them. Then watch the public take care of it. It's like conceal carry laws in real life, the smart criminals will walk more carefully while the not so smart are getting killed.
    That would be awesome....
    Jeets said he wouldn't tell Turbine. ;(

Community Member

Default You go Khyber

Recently I got 2 mails from two diffrent people at the exact same time.
    Mail A: Dumb plat farmers selling plat to nerds etc.
    Mail B: (You got the mail to so check the name.) frauded us and stole plat from us. He used &^%&%^ email? What do you use emails for?
    Buying plat.
    So he frauded a plat farmer to try and clean up the server and keep them off Khyber shut em down etc.

Then thats stupid why would the plat farmers boost his popularity working on a screen shot of the stupid mails right now going to have to blur out the names and ugh..

.......the hell?
    Ultimega - Ultimegus - Uggolla - Intell

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast