Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

I'd personally love a smarter filtering system that looks at a combination of characters like $, plat, USD, www, @, etc, and simply disconnects the sender from the game entirely without sending the tell. Of course after a few weeks we'd be looking at completely unintelligible random spam, but there's other things to look at. Account age, trial, amount of people /told to, amount of tells that go unanswered, etc.

If they trip a few indications they could easily be booted.

Of course I'm sure filtering tells like that would add a lot of overhead
    Last edited by Vagabond; 07-25-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    Khyber
    Rowse Holytoes
    5 wiz/4 rng/2 rog
    <I'm Not Really a Wizard Really>

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Face it. We don't have the will to fight plat sellers anymore. Reporting them has no result. We're getting more plat sell spam than ever. We even have the super-annoying-double-plat-spammer who hits you twice in rapid succession. It's not even shocking anymore. We're numb to it. There is nothing in our future that indicates progress. They win. We lose. But what if...

Turbine gave them a service-station where they could operate with immunity. They would be required to pay Turbine a set fee and within a specific instance, off the beaten path, they could advertise and operate. A service guild hall if you will. So long as they operated only there with no tells to the general population, Turbine would allow it, and collect fees that help support development activity.

It's a crappy solution, but when you surrender, it's on their terms. Anything is better than getting bombarded every session.
    Okay, so a few plat selling companies go along with this....while all the others continue as normal...this would make it worse...

Since plat farming companies do not follow ANY rule within the game now, what makes people think they will start following the rules if Turbine makes it ok to sell? In fact the spam will be worse since they would be free to sell, they would want to spam everyone to grab away any potential customers from their competiors. I for one have no desire to give the plat farming companies an inch, nor am I going to listen to others tell me we all should just give into them. If they rest of you want to give up, please leave your backbones at the door.
    Proud Leader of the Shadowhand.

A is A. -John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'd personally love a smarter filtering system that looks at a combination of characters like $, plat, USD, www, @, etc, and simply disconnects the sender from the game entirely without sending the tell. Of course after a few weeks we'd be looking at completely unintelligible random spam, but there's other things to look at. Account age, trial, amount of people /told to, amount of tells that go unanswered, etc.

If they trip a few indications they could easily be booted.

Of course I'm sure filtering tells like that would add a lot of overhead
    This sounds like something turbine might actually do, a big complicated new system to fix something that's very simple, and takes valuable developer time away from things like content

Face it. We don't have the will to fight plat sellers anymore. Reporting them has no result. We're getting more plat sell spam than ever. We even have the super-annoying-double-plat-spammer who hits you twice in rapid succession. It's not even shocking anymore. We're numb to it. There is nothing in our future that indicates progress. They win. We lose. But what if...

Turbine gave them a service-station where they could operate with immunity. They would be required to pay Turbine a set fee and within a specific instance, off the beaten path, they could advertise and operate. A service guild hall if you will. So long as they operated only there with no tells to the general population, Turbine would allow it, and collect fees that help support development activity.

It's a crappy solution, but when you surrender, it's on their terms. Anything is better than getting bombarded every session.
    well, the tells are annoying. But I only get about 10 when playing.

What I would like is to stop those moron spam players who fill up the LFMs with their 'trades'.... that directly is annoying and in the way. One day I saw five...the first five...all trades. I had to scroll down further to find a party lfm.

To deal with plat farmers is enough, but to have our own turn into even more annoying people...well... trade this.
    Cannon fodder build The Stalwart Defender, Raid Tank
    Worst Shroud PUG EVER!!!!!! Epic Fail (started 1/13/10, necro'd 3/9/10, 4/20/10, raised dead 3/ 9/11, necro'd 4/9/11, 5/28/11, fame petition necro 8/5/11, necro'd 9/30/11, KIA 10/3/11, True reincarnated famed (by cleric Cordovan) 10/4/11,

I haven't recieved plat-sell-mail in a long time. The plat-sell-tells however, I get at least five on a short session. I think those that aren't bothered by it are just numb. Like chronic pain, your brain tries to block it out. I know it's a horrible idea. It's not a serious proposition. It's just my way of asking someone to think about this and show some will to fight it. As a player, I feel powerless. Frustrated. I report the tells all the time, but it does nothing. Like a trained rat; Get plat-sell-tell, press button. Get another, press button. Except there's no cheese and the button just brings on another sell-tell.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Default Dear Dev's

What happens when I report a character for sending plat tells?

I know I get a submission number and it says the issue is registered. But what is the follow up to those reports? The reason I ask is because I am getting the same spammed plat tell, multiple times per session, over multiple days after using your reporting feature (which will not let me submit 1 report for each tell within a session, only 1 per plat spam character).
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

ya take the submission number and you go play the lottery...sheesh!!
    Done.

I'll go against the grain here and say, "Sure, sounds like it could be worth a try."

But then, I'm not morally opposed to plat sellers. I don't like when they intrude on my game with spam e-mails or tells, but I have no problem with them exchanging plat and items for cash with other players.

To me they are just another "power gamer" out there who spends an exorbitant amount of time playing.

I haven't recieved plat-sell-mail in a long time. The plat-sell-tells however, I get at least five on a short session. I think those that aren't bothered by it are just numb. Like chronic pain, your brain tries to block it out. I know it's a horrible idea. It's not a serious proposition. It's just my way of asking someone to think about this and show some will to fight it. As a player, I feel powerless. Frustrated. I report the tells all the time, but it does nothing. Like a trained rat; Get plat-sell-tell, press button. Get another, press button. Except there's no cheese and the button just brings on another sell-tell.
    No those of us that are not bothered by it know that all it is is a little ding announcing you got a tell and then 3 to 5 lines of text that most of the time go away quickly. Its like literally 2 seconds of annoyance ... ding (announcing you got a tell) glance down and oh its just a plat tell (minor grumbling) then back to business at hand. I really don't see how it is that big of an issue.

Milolyen

Quote Originally Posted by tenga View Post
    the yellow sentences shouldn't bother someone, but when you get multiple tells at once, it gets ridiculous, heres a vid of me getting 6 in less than 15 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU
    Ahhh, touche sir! I bow to your skillz.
    Officer of SABBAT
    Mheet Jylian Callisto Rakio Kristoff

Quote Originally Posted by vano View Post
    This sounds like something turbine might actually do, a big complicated new system to fix something that's very simple, and takes valuable developer time away from things like content
    Except that the team that would work on coding that type of system would most likely be a different team from the one working on content. So content would still flow in at the same pace while they work on something like this

Community Member

Just like email spam, there is no solution except to ignore it.

Any other 'simple' solution is ineffective or unimplementable (or it would already be in every game).

If you think of one, please tell me. I will code it and we can sell it to every online game company.

If Turbine allows plat farmers to sell items/plat then Turbine puts a real world value on virtual items.

If you lose a character/item due to a bug, then you could seek redress.

If another character 'steals' your item, could you call the police?

What if the thief says it is part of the game for him to 'steal' your items?
    Jesus saves but only Buddha makes incremental backups.

I think those that aren't bothered by it are just numb.
    you act as if being able to ignore or deal with minor annoyances is an affliction...

it's not.
    if i couldn't deal with minor annoyances, i wouldn't be able to attend family functions.

as it's been stated: plat farmers will never play by the rules, and they seem to be doing business just fine without the help.
    Last edited by Laith; 07-25-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Seriously how hard is it to avoid a tell? You act like it's the end of the world when it comes up. Maybe we should ban players that send mistells as well. I mean i can't avoid those either.

If a game like WoW with tons of money and developers can't stop their gold spam problem, you think that it's possible for Turbine to do it with DDO?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnblade View Post
    Except that the team that would work on coding that type of system would most likely be a different team from the one working on content. So content would still flow in at the same pace while they work on something like this
    resources are resources, maybe we could get more than, what was it, 10 or so new spells per mod, opposed to the 30-something new spells per mod back when the focus of our $15/month was 'fun for the subscriber' not 'we're gonna stop the plat farmers no matter what!' if they hadn't removed static loot drops, like there used to be, there wouldn't have been any plat farmers to begin with. Even if would be a different team working on the type of system that would stop plat farmers at every turn, for my money, it would be much better spent doing something else, (assisting the content team perhaps) than fixing a problem that was created, by trying to fix a problem that was created, by removing static loot drops (which is initially trying to get out of the work it takes to create new content)

I have to say reporting plat sellers is clearly not working. I hate to agree with this, the only part I would change is; turbine should sell the plat directly... and cheaply enough to shut the black market down. Another option would be to enforce a limit on the exchange of plat... make it impossible for any one account to give or receive more than 1,000,000 plat in any 24 hour period.

Quote Originally Posted by query View Post
    it literally froze and killed one of my PC's. That was the line.

They must be controled no matter what, and one day, there's going to be a big backlash when a programmer type figures out a macro to stop them, but is then targed for TOS violations......unless Turbine acts before some n00b decides to take actions into theirm own hands. I'm just a bit too wise and cynical to do that.
    You need to get a new computer or move out of the mountains than, huh.

I like getting tells from plat farmers. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside cuz I know that someone, somewhere is thinking of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

Quote Originally Posted by MissErres View Post
    I like getting tells from plat farmers. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside cuz I know that someone, somewhere is thinking of me.
    You're warm and fuzzy anyway.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast