Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default The Central L...ag thread.

Just trying to keep this all in one place. We're still looking into it, and I'll bring more info as soon as it's available

so the server is back up but it's not fixed?

I think someone in accounting forgot to buy enough hamster feed is all this week, they just don't want to spill the beans just yet...

From my amateur observations, it just appears to me that whatever you did patching creature AI was a big failure. It seems like whatever calculations the creatures are doing (primarily those that shift aggro randomly) bog down the system. The creatures in question move in slow motion, and given enough of them, they bog down the server itself.

Run the Reaver, Air elementals move in slow motion as soon as they see more than a few different targets.
    The titan can take upwards of 5 minutes just to move from one laser position to the next.
    Orthons and Bearded devils in the shroud can bring the system to a standstill.

But it seems like the randomly aggroing creatures are at the root cause. Particle effects and AoEs don't seem to help as much, but I don't think they're the direct cause. We can throw down as much crowd control as we want in most places, but it's not until we try to drag 20 things back to a central location that the servers go haywire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyllie View Post
    so the server is back up but it's not fixed?
    As far as I know the Monday bit is just administrative - reset servers, do character moves.. so if the lag is either because of a code change, networking equipment, or another server, the downtime wont address it.

Speaking as an IT person, albeit an uninformed outsider with no privileged information about Turbine's operations.
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

of the darkness within my own soul's desire

Arrow Han Solo Time

Quote Originally Posted by bobbryan2 View Post
    From my amateur observations, it just appears to me that whatever you did patching creature AI was a big failure. It seems like whatever calculations the creatures are doing (primarily those that shift aggro randomly) bog down the system. The creatures in question move in slow motion, and given enough of them, they bog down the server itself.

Run the Reaver, Air elementals move in slow motion as soon as they see more than a few different targets.
    The titan can take upwards of 5 minutes just to move from one laser position to the next.
    Orthons and Bearded devils in the shroud can bring the system to a standstill.

But it seems like the randomly aggroing creatures are at the root cause. Particle effects and AoEs don't seem to help as much, but I don't think they're the direct cause. We can throw down as much crowd control as we want in most places, but it's not until we try to drag 20 things back to a central location that the servers go haywire.
    The solution is simple until they patch it -- SOLO RUNS FOR ALL! WOOT!! Well, what are you waiting for? Start soloing quests everyone!!!

Community Member Yvonne_Blacksword's Avatar
    in the dark...cold...UnderWater places...

I did that...
    I soloed...
    then got in trouble.

and was forced to do 3 Invaders! (lol)
    runs...just so my forged backside could dance...and get feared... and lag out...

and get ham.

I didnt die...due to WF durability and the kind healing hand of Juiced...and others...
    but there was a 5 minute period in which we nearly wiped and I could a sworn I swung my axe 50 times while surrounded by MOBs and never even got a die roll.

so...

I /dance

might as well!

If you cant hit em?
    /dance em.
    Last edited by Yvonne Blacksword; 04-28-2008 at 12:07 PM.
    Rogues:Sheillea & Sheilleah Noonscense, Yarrelle Clerics: Juin Muddawber Bards: Sequestria Isolatine & Gheorghe Zamfir Ranger: Eloah Farfletcher Fighters: Yvonniva, Ocksocks & Goodgame The Improper Sorceress: Blastrine Meanase Barbarians: Espresso Breve & Mkthirtyfour, Boomshakalak Wizards: Clairity of Merk & Misstickle Fingersofdeath

Default Getting old fast

Sadly running solo is not the answer - been soloing Devils all weekend and the instance is very choppy and the end battle has had crazy lag in it.

So its not just in groups this is happening.......
    Illinar | Draconion | Starrloom | Ling | Microwave | Charnel | Scorcher
    PESTILENCE

Community Member

Sorry Tolero, but I can not (Or refuse, however you choose to look at it) believe that not one person who is in the correct position to have done anything regarding a completely ruined weekend of relaxation due to the Turbine Lag, which had been being reported almost as soon as the servers were brought back online from the hotfix to the patch had checked the forums during the weekend.

If you have internet, it is ENTIRELY feasable for the rest of us to ASSUME (Yes, I know what occurs when one does this) that if anyone cared, they would have at least monitored the forums. There is NO WAY that all the threads could be missed. It is on all servers, in every instance, maybe not every time, but every quest has reports of lag.

You even admitted to logging on Friday, not seeing it, and then, evidently, everyone went home to allow us to suffer through the weekend.

This isn't a bashing in any way, more of a point to show what the players are feeling. Now, I do NOT speak for ALL players, but I DO speak for more than myself. I greatly appreciated you seeing my post Friday, and logging in, but it seems that your log in must have been breif, and no one else logged in to verify or negate the allegations of lag.

Just a side note, I Love the game, and have really enjoyed MOST of what you guys do, but am extremely disapointed at the service that we recieved, there is no solution and no way for it to be made up to us. It only takes one bad thing to take away from all the good things that get done.

Further, locking all the threads regarding lag is a bad idea as well, it tends to lead to the impression that the locked thread will get buried and forgotten about, they wont. There are plenty of links to point to them.

It happens in our favor as well. I casted a cloudkill and lag hit. Then I saw a message that I hit a knoll for 21 points of con damage.

Just as we have command and greater command; dispel and greater dispel, the monster AI was upgraded to include:

Greater Lag: AoE effecting 2-12 player characters. effect include but are not limited to: heals not landing, buffs ticking off, movement rubberbanding and the effect - gameplay disillusionment to actually prevent heroic parties from forming in the first place.

Last night trying to get to Tempest Spine for a taxi ride to Twilight Forge I could barley move in House J. It took forever to get from the teleporter to the entrance of TS. I would take a step and stop, take a step and stop. Other people in party with me had the same problem. Got into the quest finally and started working the green side. Got in one of the room and the intire instance lagged out....at least for a the PC's...all the NPC keep moving fine and proceded to pound on me the entire time. Went from full health to no health and could not do a thing about it. Could not move, could not cast, could not swing.

Every quest I was in last night would have anywhere from a 10 to 15 sec delay from casting a heal to the effect actually going off.

I'm on Argo and the lag made the game almost unplayable.
    Last edited by alans240; 04-28-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moorewr View Post
    As far as I know the Monday bit is just administrative - reset servers, do character moves.. so if the lag is either because of a code change, networking equipment, or another server, the downtime wont address it.

Speaking as an IT person, albeit an uninformed outsider with no privileged information about Turbine's operations.
    I've held microsoft and cisco certifications for years and know for a fact that a server error resolution as well as a routine maintenance would be combined or I would fire people.

Community Member juniorpfactors's Avatar

Lag.. shroud is unplayable...why are there any threads other than this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lag.. shroud is unplayable...why are there any threads other than this...if you cant play the game ... on Thelanis... the shroud lag is so bad the entire group cant cast spells NOR move... Acknowledge this and unpatch the mistake...

I propose we not have any other threads ....until the Lag has been adressed....its not even Lag its pure frozen toons and toon STOPAGE!!!!

fix it .....remove the patch NOW

jrp

I just want to add that the lag is not just in higher end quests, but lower as well.

We had trouble in waterworks and tangleroot. Slayer and quest wise.
    Hands you a Cupcake One of Many of the O'Rum Ferretus's

Well, I spent most of my play time this weekend running my newest soloist, who is currently making her way through the level 2 quests. I didn't see much of the lag issue. Every once in a while the MOBs would lag a half second or so (and then jump forward), which for certian is more lag than I'm used to seeing, but nothing that was game breaking.

Not saying that there is no problem, I'm just saying I didn't really see it under my (admittedly somewhat unique) playing conditions this weekend.

So, just another data point. Call it a negative control, if you like

My dedicated group is running VON 5-6 tonight, so we'll see how that goes...
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Quote Originally Posted by JTsays View Post
    Just as we have command and greater command; dispel and greater dispel, the monster AI was upgraded to include:

Greater Lag: AoE effecting 2-12 player characters. effect include but are not limited to: heals not landing, buffs ticking off, movement rubberbanding and the effect - gameplay disillusionment to actually prevent heroic parties from forming in the first place.
    ROFL!!
    Sarlona Roving Guns
    Bitsi ~ Lyriccal ~ Twynkerbelle ~ Cadaia ~ Marajayd ~ Morael ~ Vieirna ~ Karilth ~ Jevvy ~ Hvee ~ Djina ~ Moanah ~ Angeliccal ~ Leimei ~ Myriccal ~ Tyranniccal ~ Itsi ~ Imouto ~ Museiccal ~ Electriccal ~ Metalliccal ~ Popsiccal ~ Jeniece

Community Member

Obviously there is no lag. Does any one think untested code would be thrown on production servers and then it would be followed by an untested hotfix. Cmon now, no one would do that. Thats why we have Mournlands and Risa... Well Mournlands anyway.

I will let you in on the secret but don't tell anyone.....

They gave the mobs the Timestop spell.....

Now the lower lever mobs have a hard time with it because they are lower level. Notice less player deaths there.

You note the higher level mobs are using it with a great deal of skill.

Now lets keep it a secret....

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Just trying to keep this all in one place. We're still looking into it, and I'll bring more info as soon as it's available
    Thanks for the update.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Lyllie View Post
    I've held microsoft and cisco certifications for years and know for a fact that a server error resolution as well as a routine maintenance would be combined or I would fire people.
    I, on the other hand, would fire people for trying to shoe-horn a bug fix into a scheduled maintenance before the fix has been through QA. Must be my UNIX background.
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast