Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much should I invest into healer's friend?

I am playing a WF fighter and currently approaching level 7.

I was planning on taking all three levels of healer's friend, especially as I didn't spec into any WF armor (at least not yet -- if I can respec into it, I'd consider that) and am spec'd TWF (so rarely if ever use a shield, i.e. AC not the greatest).

I was surprised to hear from a cleric in a pick-up group the other day that "going beyond Healer's Friend I isn't worth the healing efficiency gained". Now I can't recall if they knew anything at all about my toon (I might have been playing a different one at the time), but it got me thinking. Am I wasting those points? I certainly could use them elsewhere.

What do you think? What do you usually take: I, II, or III?

Smile One is fine

Okay , I have a healer and many Warforge characters and I am a firm believer that Healer's friend 1 is the only one you should take. 2 Action Points for 15% more healing is worth it, but 4 Action Points for 20% healing is only a 5% increase which I don't believe is a wise investment. Most Clerics can heal in the 250-300 range without criting at high levels.

It depends on your build. If you are a wiz, then the first healer's friend is fine. If you are a 700HP WF barbarian, please take all of the healer's friend enhancements. Most builds are fine with at least the first one and if you have extra enhancement points lying around feel free to throw them in to it. I do notice a difference when healing WF who do and do not have it, especially when scroll Healing, and to my line of thinking, anything that helps get my HP back up faster after getting them knocked down is a good thing. Those 15 or however many HP extra per Heal could mean the difference between killing the pit fiend or being killed by the pit fiend. Also, if you commonly group with arcanes from your guild, their repair spells are not affected by those enhancements, but they also don't lose out on 50% of the spell right off the top either.

About the only time I'd say don't worry about them is if you take the worst feat in the game(you know, the one that makes you immune to divine healing spells). And please, do not do that.
    Ghallanda - Active Duty: Sotiris Halfling 20 Monk, Decimus Atreius Halfling 8 Fighter/6 Rogue/3 Paladin, Dimicron Drow 17 Cleric, Scaldus Halfling 15 Cleric/2 Monk, Anselus Halfling 6 FvS, Lanistae Halfling 7 Ranger, Iterum Human 2 Fighter/1 Paladin - Semi-Retired: Dimi Halfling 17 Fighter(Beta Survivor)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimicron View Post
    About the only time I'd say don't worry about them is if you take the worst feat in the game(you know, the one that makes you immune to divine healing spells). And please, do not do that.
    Ah, if only that feat made you immune to inflict/harm spells as well...then it might be worth taking in some cases

So the answer so far is from I to III, with one of the posters thinking it is build specific.

The build specific point is what is making me question the PUG Cleric's advice about only taking one. That was my initial thought, as well. If I was an adamantine-clad, sword and board type fighter who has 50-70AC, one might very well be enough. I just am not sure whether I fall into that category or the squishy Wizard category, well as my Con/Dex is fairly high and I wear max-plus-Docents, I am probably better off then that, but how much better?

Take no healer's friend enhancement and take improved fortification. Travel at all times in the company of an arcane with reconstruct memmed (or the highest available repair spell). Problem solved.

Death to all fleshlings!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milamber69 View Post
    Please forgive my personal attack, I was high on Platypus Venom at the time.

A mobile construct citadel in the Mournland where I plot fleshling death.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselKing View Post
    Take no healer's friend enhancement and take improved fortification. Travel at all times in the company of an arcane with reconstruct memmed (or the highest available repair spell). Problem solved.

Death to all fleshlings!!
    Oh good times...Belvic did that just for the sake of confusing clerics. NEVER, not once when I was in a group with him could the cleric ever figure out why he couldn't heal Belvic. Just kept on trying over and over. "Immune? Why does it say you're immune when I try to heal you?!!" Lol, frickin hilarious!
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Ok for almost all warforged Healers Friend I is plenty.

Lvl 1 gives you 65% or 2/3 of normal healing from clerics. It costs 2 points.

Lvl 2 costs 4 points and onlyl boosts your healing by 5% more. Even clerics don't use 4 points to increase their healing by 5%.

If you have a choice between healers friend 2 and 3, or improved DR 2 and 3 (both cost the same), I suggest going with improved DR 2 and 3. You will be immune to crit hits and sneak attacks later on with just a moderate fort item and the 2 points of DR will probably save more of the clerics mana over time then healers friend II or III would.

The cost for healers friend II and III should be the same as for lvl 1 (2 ap a pop) and then it might be worth it. In truth each should increase your healing by 10% instead of 15% 5% and 5%. Then it could cost 2, 4 and 6 and make sense.

I'd also suggest going with Healer's Friend 1 only at endgame.

Until you start grouping consistently with Clr11s, however, you may want to take HF2 to help at the mid levels, when clerics are unable to cast Heal. Once they get Heal, respec out of HF2 as it isn't really necessary any more.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    Oh good times...Belvic did that just for the sake of confusing clerics. NEVER, not once when I was in a group with him could the cleric ever figure out why he couldn't heal Belvic. Just kept on trying over and over. "Immune? Why does it say you're immune when I try to heal you?!!" Lol, frickin hilarious!
    ive said it once, and ill say it again......man i wish i was on ghost's server!!

and weasleking, i love yer advice too. DEATH TO FLESHYS!!! lol. thats pretty much what i try to do. i have no healers friend, and i try to get a wizy in the group. or hand out wands. im so happy...i just found out at lvl 12, where to buy repair crit wands!!! yay!!!

anyway, on topic....ive always been told that if you were to invest into healers friend, dont waste your points past II. all the wf i used to party with before they were cool ( :P ) had all invested in II and thats it.

Nothing.

Community Member

I took III. Maybe a waste, but I basically swapped out trip enhancements for it, as trip was rarely landing anyway.

Mike

Community Member

Depends how you play. If you are in a static group where everyone plays their "role"(healbot/tank/etc) you can prolly get away with none. If you pug alot and like dont want to dump your build decisions on other players shoulders then I would go to the second tier, especially if you are playing a high hp character. Third is too many APs for the payoff imo.

If you are playing an arcane, definitely none.

Um still take 1 even if playing an arcane unless you don't start with a decent con at all, use false life spells, equipment boosts etc.

Even without any toughness feats (Not worth it for mine) my wizard will still end up with (20+60+90+30+26)= 226 hp at least by lvl 16 and it'll probably be higher then that actually. 2 ap in my opinion is low enough cost to increase any clerics healing you by 15% (allowing the use of lower heals spells to top you off etc instead of using a wand yourself etc, and making heals max you out when low instead of only adding 120 hp or something).

Only WF that should not take healers friend I in my opinion is a one that takes improved fort for theme reasons or a WF who solo's only (and is not a cleric hehe) or only parties with other WF.

Any other WF should take a universal 15% increase to all healing for only 2 ap point.

Again in my opinion even Barbarian WF should spend AP in other places then healers friend II or III. 5% increase is just not worth it, and to get a 10% cumalitize increase from both costs 10 AP!! 10 ap for only a 10% increase in healing is just not worth it in my opinion at least.

If the WF has DR and especially if they have DR AND displacement then they are already saving hp from most other fighters which ends up being much more useful then just boosting healing by another 10%. Instead use the 10 AP to increase your constant DR by 2...making each and every hit you take do 2 points less dmg.....which shoudl save far more health in the long run then boosting healing by 10% (especially since often you'll over cap on healing spells anyway and can still be healed normally by repair spells).

None if you can self-repair/reconstruction.

One rank if you can't self-repair/reconstruction.

Two ranks if you are really worried.

Three ranks only if they give us an enhancement that requires it down the road.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    None if you can self-repair/reconstruction.

One rank if you can't self-repair/reconstruction.

Two ranks if you are really worried.

Three ranks only if they give us an enhancement that requires it down the road.
    I can self-repair reconstruct and I still take 1 rank because when tensored I can't self repair anymore and I want to be healed fairly well (Even though I still have DR, Displacement etc).

2 ap is worth it for me and just being able to tell clerics you have Healers Friends is worth it because they are more likely to heal you in a pinch.

I've been saved many times because of clerics healing me, so I definatly think healers friend I was a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris P. Letus View Post
    and weasleking, i love yer advice too. DEATH TO FLESHYS!!! lol. thats pretty much what i try to do. i have no healers friend, and i try to get a wizy in the group. or hand out wands. im so happy...i just found out at lvl 12, where to buy repair crit wands!!! yay!!
    If I wanted to play cleric, I'd roll a cleric. If you take the no healing feat so you can get only repaired by wizards, I hope you also took 1 level of wizard and are prepared to self heal only with your new found wands. I have better things to do with my mana unless you happen to be my best friend. Then I'll only let you die half the time.

Back to the main topic, the best advice was 'depends on build' - if you're a high hitpoints (500-700) paper 'tank' take it all. If you are high AC 300 hps build, 1 is fine. (As an aside of what a high AC is: 40 AC is really good.. for level 6. Not for level 16)
    Last edited by Solmage; 04-17-2008 at 12:28 AM.
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Solmage View Post
    If I wanted to play cleric, I'd roll a cleric. If you take the no healing feat so you can get only repaired by wizards, I hope you also took 1 level of wizard and are prepared to self heal only with your new found wands. I have better things to do with my mana unless you happen to be my best friend. Then I'll only let you die half the time.
    heh. i hope you have good enough ac for me to not pull agro off you half the time then. even with no healers friend, clerics are happy as **** to heal me, seeing as how im pulling the raged minotaurs and regening trolls off them. hmmmm...cleric to mana greedy, or cleric "wasting" his mana to keep me alive....who am i going to save?

My WF Rogue and Cleric have Healers Friend II, while my WF Wizard and Bard do not have it at all.

At most, don't go past two, as it is a waist to go healers friend III, and no where near as useful as it was pre-enhancement change.

On my Barb, I took one level to say I had it, and reduce prejudice. After that, I took 2 levels of Sorc and with repair crit wands available at the vendor in the Twelve, I do almost all of my own repairing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast