Hybrid View

*squish*splash*squish* The_Mighty_Cube's Avatar

Default Turbine Mailbag: Dear Cubie, 2nd Edition

For more letters from the Dear Cubie series, visit the Turbine Mailbag 1st Edition
    ---

Hello Mighty Ooze!

I've read over other letters sent in, and I'm scared now! There are so many rules, how am I ever going to remember to follow them all? I don't want to get banned, I just want to talk about DDO with my friends and other players on the forums.

Thanks for your time,
    Walking On Eggshells

Dear Walking,

The two biggest things to remember are:

Rule 1. Be nice to your fellow posters.
    Rule 2. If you can't be nice to them, then the forum has two nifty features: an ignore (available by clicking on their name to view their profile and selecting "Add [them] to your Ignore List") and a reported post function (it's in the lower left corner of posts and looks like this ).

Do these things so that you avoid my oozerific attention.

Your friend,
    The Cube
    Last edited by Fiendish Cube; 04-09-2008 at 12:20 PM.
    Do not cross The Mighty Cube!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge
    Everyone knows Gelatinous Cubes are Weapons of Mass Digestion.

Dear Jiggly One,

I hate exploiters. I think they're all dirty cheaters, and I want to see them punished to the full extent of the Code of Conduct! It's wrong, and I think everyone should learn the difference between strategy and exploiting. Everyone is doing it and it's wrong, and I want to say so... I didn't use any details, why did I get punished? They are the ones cheating!

Respectfully,
    Concerned Citizen

Dear Concerned,

We are very pleased that you abide by the Code of Conduct. We're also glad that you want to take action against exploits. However, making threads on the public forums about exploits is not the right action. The forum rules state very clearly to not talk about exploits. Posting to denounce it doesn't make talking about the exploits ok; there is no "acceptable" or "excusable" reason to talk about exploits. The best way you can help instead is the following:

1. When you see exploiting in game, use the in-game help system to open a ticket. Select "cheating" and give the GMs a description of what is happening.
    2. If you're not sure that Turbine is aware of the bug or exploit, contact us privately to let us know. You can do so using the in-game bug reporting system
    3. If you see something, and you're not sure if it's a bug or an exploit, either submit a bug report, or a cheating report, in game.
    4. Don't make threads about exploits on the forums, for good or bad, just don't do it. Period.

Your Friend,
    The Cube

To The Gelatinous Cube,

I got a warning from you. I'm a good poster and I'm never out of line, but the poster right above me is always being a troll, but I don't see him getting in trouble. Why is that?

- Annoyed In Argonessen

Dear Annoyed,

If you're generally a good poster, and you've received a warning, it means we're trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and that you should just be more careful. Warnings don't go against your infraction total. There are two times that you're liable to get a warning: if there's been a pattern of poor behavior from you lately, or if we've been reminding the community against certain behavior repeatedly. Just keep being the good rules-abiding poster that you normally are, and you'll be fine. As for the resident troll? Just use the reported post icon on the post to draw my attention to them. Trolls are my favorite food.

Your friend,
    The Cube

Hello Cube,

Are you a male or a female?

From,
    Just Curious

Dear Curious,

I'm an ooze.

Your Friend,
    The Cube

Hey Cube,

Some clown over in this thread is going on and on about really erroneous data for a character built. I told him how it was: WRONG! Apparently that's not allowed? Is it a crime to tell people that they're wrong? I just wanted to show this guy that he's being a moron, and there are better ways to build the character.

Thanks for your time,
    Character Builder

Dear Builder,

If you're going to try to help someone with their information, think very carefully about what descriptive adjectives you want to use in regards to the other person, if you'd like to avoid your post being a candidate for cube food. Take your letter for example:
    "Some clown"
    ... if you're referring to Bozo, It, or Krusty, that's perfectly acceptable. To another user? Not so much.
    "he's being a moron"
    ... something tells me you wouldn't like it if someone said that about you, so it's best to leave that sort of talk out of your discussion.

The best help you can offer is respecting other posters. You don't have to agree with them, just don't sprinkle insulting remarks in your points, as it's garnish for my meals.

Your friend,
    The Cube

CUBE!!

FREE SPEECH YOU [edit: big] PIECE OF [edit: ooze] WHY DID YOU EDIT MY [eaten by cube] POST!!!111!1

I HOPE [eaten by cube] WHEN [eaten by cube]

[eaten by cube]
    [eaten by cube]

Dear eaten by cube,

If you would like a forum of complete freedom of expression, this is not the place. On these forums, you have to follow the rules. Those rules are easily found sticked to the top of the forums. There are lines, and when you cross them, your post or comments are going to get closed or removed. If you continually walk up to the line and stick your toes over, those toes will get eaten by the cube. We're happy to provide a place for you to chat and hang outside of the game, but this is still a commercial forum with guidelines that you are required to follow.

Your friend,
    The Cube.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Hello Cube,

Are you a male or a female?

From,
    Just Curious

Dear Curious,

I'm an ooze.

Your Friend,
    The Cube

Everyone should know any kind of ooze, Like an amoeba, is asexual

(I hope that stick I used was everbright or i'm probably in big trouble)
    Jasperheart, Flintfingers, Elyanna, Llyana, Illianos, Arienna, Beldagarde, Bostjan, Cammie.
    Collectively known as Team Flint.
    Just a note to those who knew Flintheart. I am no longer in possesion of the name.

*Pokes Mr. Cube again.

Ouch!!!!!!!!1
    Hands you a Cupcake One of Many of the O'Rum Ferretus's

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Signed,
    OMG, I'm an exploiter!
    Sig worthy.

Nice post Cubie...as for the sarcasm, well, Id prefer it over an iron fist, wouldnt you?
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

Default Suggestion

If possible, GC should make this thread appear in the Dev Tracker. I don't know about anyone else, but that's the first place I usually hit when I come to the forums.

reported post function (it's in the lower left corner of posts and looks like this ).
    [/QUOTE]

Might want to corect that its in the top right corner of posts, not lower left
    "Every scar is a lesson, every battle, a test of what you have learned"
    Bio Hazard - Sorcerer
    Cathal the Holy Warrior - Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by NKspeed View Post
    reported post function (it's in the lower left corner of posts and looks like this ).
    Might want to corect that its in the top right corner of posts, not lower left[/QUOTE]

No intent to burst any bubbles or create a problem here, but they are in the lower left corner of the posts for me. Maybe there's a way to change the settings so they have appeared in your upper right?

Default Letters to the Cube

Dear Engulfer of Stuff...

Can you please engulf the spammers too? I. hate. spam. HATE spam. When I log in my game, I don't want spammers spamming up my play time! I got spam from a guy named [eaten by cube] and his message said

Quote Originally Posted by Eaten by Cube
    Sorry to bother! Come to [eaten by cube].com for best deals low prices, just call [eaten by cube]
    but when I make a post about it, you ate it!? NOW what did I do wrong, I'm just trying to tell you about the spam!?

From,
    Spaminator in Sarlona

-----------------

Dear Spaminator,

I hate spam too, but there are a few things to keep in mind when you deal with spammers...

First things first, don't post the message the spammer gave you. By doing so, you're providing the spammer with free advertising, which effectively makes you a vehicle for the spam as well. You don't want that, do you? I know I don't, and I know you hate the spammers too, but don't accidentally do their work for them.

Next, while it might seem harmless to post a screen shot or a name of someone spamming, it's harmful to others. Some players get VERY hostile towards spammers, and if you've posted a name or screenshot of someone who has a name similar to another player, that player can become the target of harassment. Not everyone with a name that seems like gibberish is a spammer, and there are plenty of players out there with guild mules, inside jokes, or even players who just don't care much about their name who aren't spamming or doing anything wrong, but receive hateful and inappropriate messages as a result of such screenshots/singling out. Sending such messages could get you in trouble with the in-game support team! If you are the recipient of spam, report them, but leave it at that.

The final thing to remember is... don't spam the forum about spam. No one likes spammers in game, so it's definitely not a good idea to carry that behavior over onto the forums. We're going to make a thread where we can all come together to discuss the topic so that opinions and discussions are still engaged, but without letting the spam talk bog down everything else we want to talk about here on the forums. Meet me over in the general forum in the Plane of Spammerwrath...

Community Member

Default Dear Cubie...

What would happen to your kind if attacked by one of the following: +2 Vorpal Shamwow, +4 butter knife of spreading ooze on toast or the most dreaded weapon of all... the Squeegee!

dear gelatinous one,

why are you so awesome?

one in awe
    "May the flamin' force be with you!"

Long Live the CUBE!!!!!!!!

P.S. Cube, would the incantation to summon you be similar to summoning cthulu?
    Xeper, Ellistraee, Arcaenium, Adaddon, Whitesonja...etc Warriors of the Arcane Flame = Champions of Faerun = Undying Legions. I'll see you around.