Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I found as a cleric when I soloed him (at level 5 or 6, been a while) that searing light was reasonably okay, as was nimbus of light. If you have the SP for it, suggest MM, then nimbus while MM is cooling down). Or MM/SG/nimbus. He hit so hard, if you arentable to range him, you're going to need to drop him as quicky as possible. potency/efficacy items work well for all of those spells.

Quote Originally Posted by uncus2 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    The "Jump, cast" in particular sounds interesting...
    We've killed him before that way when we didn't have a caster or cleric in the party... Someone had an adamantine returning throwing ax, or something along those lines. Took quite a while, but it eventually worked. Jump, throw, jump throw, etc...
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

Community Member

Uncus,

I am not sure that it is because he is more susceptible to lightning but rather that shocking grasp has no saving throw. The General mentioned his saves, so maybe he is more susceptible. The problem you are going to run into is because of only having one caster level your shocking grasp won't do nearly the same damage as a maximized 5th level caster. I would turn towards the clerics who have more expertise on the effectiveness of the searing lights/nimbus of light.

I died on him on my first attempt (didn't have shocking grasp up in my spells, quickly fixed that problem) and the worst part of it is having to clear the way back down to him again. Silly giant.

Community Member genericearthling's Avatar

disco balls from festival dont work but have not tried the disintegrate ones.

he is a giant, correct? why construct bane? i have a lvl 6 no rr adamantine mace of smiting if construct bane works.

Quote Originally Posted by Solmage View Post
    As for how to solo him, that depends:

on normal, cast 1 disintegrate.

on elite, cast 1 disintegrate.

=)

Seriously, the shocking grasp approach is your best bet, or if you want the non magic approach you will have to get a construct bane melee weapon, he has a pretty high AC. Failing that, at least get a +4 or +5 adamantine weapon. Also use heroism pots, haste pots, and just about any other boost you could possibly come up with, including a fighters to-hit boost.

I have soloed him several times starting at lvl 4 (normal) and up on all difficultys and highly recommend dealing with the two earth elementals first...their earthgrab can get you killed extemely fast.

High DC Niacs/Strafing skills come in handy if you are a squishy caster on the run...and fire does hurt him (I believe).

With a tank (expecially a dwarf with the AC bonus against giants) your armor class will save your life(round 32 minimum on normal). Your best bet is to buy barkskin pots (the +2 pots can be used at any lvl) Grab a sharp addy weapon and a quick prayer never hurts either....Last but not least unless you are under a rules format (once you die the quest is over)dont give up.

I have yet to be lucky enuf to kill him the first time but its very doable.

Good luck and I hope I helped.
    Google Celebrity Dungeons & Dragons Acquisitions Inc, podcast and youtube videos ,you wont regret it

Quote Originally Posted by genericearthling View Post
    he is a giant, correct? why construct bane?
    Good question for the devs. He looks like a Giant, but you fight him like a construct. Who knows?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Talon Moonshadow View Post
    soloing him at any where near the lvl of the quest, is almost impossible IMO.
    1 Rogue/3 Rng, 4 deaths, so yeah, everything TM said. You've reeaalllyyy gotta wanna.
    Last edited by VonBek; 06-01-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    So, I hear that one day we may get Familiars...
    ....I want a Velociraptor!

He looks like a fire giant, but if you hit the z button, he is listed as construct. Only thing I can suggest is buff yourself as much a possible, then hit him as hard as possible with whatever dmg spells you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I'm not really sure why hes a Construct at all to tel ya the truth.
    Because a Giant would starve to death in that cage =P

He's a construct, when the quest was designed they didn't have a decent model for one so they simply used a giant. At this point they should go back and re-skin him. Unless of course its intended to be a lesson to newer players to look at monster descriptions?

Community Member

If you are soloing, dont even bother with MM. It takes too long. That said it is entirely possible to solo him by kiting and hitting with maximized niacs. At level 3 he should go down in about 3-4 hits. Just make sure you have expedious retreat and maybe some striding boots. When the elementals pop out you just have to get lucky and down him before you get grabbed.

With your character though, I doubt you'd have much luck with soloing him without dying repeatedly. You definitely dont have enough HP, dont have the stats to land niacs effectively meaning you would have to stick with lower damage spells, and without twink gear you dont have the AC to survive more than a couple swings.
    Last edited by richieelias27; 06-23-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by uncus2 View Post
    Can anyone offer any useful advice on how to solo the "Giant" at the end of STK?
    Acid Arrow. From the spell, or wands, or even the named clicky found in Waterworks. Cast it on him, then find a way to stay alive until it's done. Shield blocking and buffing your own AC to over 30 can help there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12