Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

<double posted>
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 03-09-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Default I need some way to keep all of this in one place

"He was like the cool uncle that every gamer had. He shaped an entire generation of gamers."
    - Mike Mearls, lead developer, 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons (Wired)

The DDO community mourns:

Ghallanda memorial Twenty One Fireball Salute
    HolyWarrior's video of the Sarlona memorial
    Caelan's video of the Sarlona memorial
    Kerr's Petition for Monument is at 650 signatures and counting, including devs Quarion and Tolero

But the DDO community is not the only one seeking to diffuse grief by sharing it.
    Gygax's Wikipedia page has been edited hundreds of times since March 4 as everyone
    tries to get it "just right" (or vandalizes it, depending on one's alignment).

Gary Gygax on Wikipedia

As difficult as it is to make changes to large commerical websites overnight, at least two did:

Turbine
    WotC

At least seven webcomics have produced a tribute issue

OOTS
    Penny Arcade
    xkcd
    GUComics
    Dork Tower
    User Friendly
    Goblins

There are hundreds of video tributes

WotC D&D staff tribute
    Colbert Report
    YouTube search "Gygax"

His death made news all over the world

London
    Sydney
    France
    China

And caused us to examine his impact on ourselves and also on today's culture:

Edmonton Sun
    New York Times
    Salon
    Time
    San Francisco Chronicle
    Toronto Star

These are my two favorites. Both are recalling a 2005 trip to Lake Geneva to meet Gary
    and play D&D with him. This one by Paul Laforge is written before he died, this by Wayne Chambliss
    after. I recommend them both.

There's even a song

Uncle Monsterface plays Thank you, Gary Gygax .
    Listen to the end, when the singer announces that he's going to go play D&D right now,
    "for real seriously", describes his character (a monk) and talks about how cool it will be.
    He then thanks Gary, as we all do.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 03-09-2008 at 03:13 PM.

This is the only thread I've done that actually mattered. I don't want it to be purged.

/signed

Dalailama/Sauraman/Faldordadink/Icce/Dadink/Faldor/Faldora

Holy necro, let this thread like gygax live in our memory. No need to resurect it. I think purposly necroing threads is also against forum rules FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracolich View Post
    Holy necro, let this thread like gygax live in our memory. No need to resurect it. I think purposly necroing threads is also against forum rules FYI.
    Nope.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=27

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    90 day forum maintenance is nothing new. We've had them in the past (on multiple occasions). There are some forums that we never prune, such as the user guides, announcements, release notes, and achievements. If you feel a discussion is still relevant, feel free to keep discussing in it. If there's a character build you're in love with, feel free to mention in the build that it is still a good build for the current game. You're only going to have a run in with the Cube if you're bumping for the sake of bumping and creating spam.
    Ok I am trying to find the reference you are looking for here. The thread is not relevent anymore no offense. Its not a build somone is fond with. He admits he is bumping it because he doesnt want it purged. A noble gesture for sure for a great cause but I am sorry I cant see the coorilation to anything Tolero pointed out.

It doesnt matter, not even the cube would give somone points for bumping a Gyugax thread. Then again I am bumping it too blast it all the paradoxes!!! haha move along.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Ok I am trying to find the reference you are looking for here. The thread is not relevent anymore no offense. Its not a build somone is fond with. He admits he is bumping it because he doesnt want it purged. A noble gesture for sure for a great cause but I am sorry I cant see the coorilation to anything Tolero pointed out.

It doesnt matter, not even the cube would give somone points for bumping a Gyugax thread. Then again I am bumping it too blast it all the paradoxes!!! haha move along.
    What she said was that you would only get in trouble if you were bumping to create spam...that was not the purpose of this bump. In the same thread she said that others said they were going to bump every thread they wanted maintained and she didn't say anything to the negative so apparently they are ok with that.

Expect to see a heck of a lot more necros in the next few days. It will make the forums a bit hard to read I'm afraid... Dumb move all around turbine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KIELBASEE555 View Post
    Look to the DDO game news. just today there is a addvertizement for a invasion in the market. BUT nothing about a real life news awareness of D&D games. those who tell us about game news almost every day have NOTHING to say about gary gygax?
    Why would there be?

I [am trying hard to not] see the coorilation [sic] to anything Tolero pointed out.
    Fixed it for you.

Default Motion to hold an annual EGG memorial service:

The passing of E.G.G. has most assuredly touched us all.

As an item of note, the anniversary of his passing IS fast approaching…
    in fact it is only around 30 days away...
    Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008)

What we could do to mark the Anniversary is resurrect this thread as a way to arrange
    For a Multi Server World Wide event to pay our respects.

We could petition for guilds to host, agree to a time, and get some of our best vid makers to coordinate
    and film the event, and hold a memorial service for the anniversary of his passing.
    That way this does NOT become a flame fest on whether or not this is a justified necro.
    For I fear that it could quickly get ugly, And I wouldn’t want to see this thread become “Cube” bait…or worse.

For it is fast heading in that direction, and I for one would be deeply saddened
    to see this thread go away like that. Not this thread; and Please, PLEASE…Not THAT way.

Let us instead, use this as a way to arrange something to honor a man
    who has greatly touched ALL of our lives in a way that can NEVER be forgotten.

What say all?

I would be Honored to host on Thelanis…
    Last edited by Bekki; 01-30-2009 at 06:49 AM.
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
    ... I wouldn’t want to see this thread become “Cube” bait…or worse.

For it is fast heading in that direction, and I for one would be deeply saddened
    to see this thread go away like that. Not this thread; and Please, PLEASE…Not THAT way.

Let us instead, use this as a way to arrange something to honor a man
    who has greatly touched ALL of our lives in a way that can NEVER be forgotten.

Well said, Bekki.

I know we're deep off into the mid-mod grumbles, but geez...
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

"Here take my +1 Mace" Gary Gygax (Futerama episode) I still keep a +1 mace in my Ranger's bank as a tribute .
    This is awesome I am sorry I missed it.

Community Member jonathansample85's Avatar

Default A Fantastic Tribute for the Archmage of Fantasy Gaming!

I'm new here, so apologies if this reply is long after the post. I've been playing D&D for well over a decade now, and, because of my love for the game, I decided to go digital and give DDO a try. What a great experience thus far!

This tribute, the fact that it occurred and the fact that so many paid respect, furthers my appreciation of this incredible game.

Thank you, to Mr. Gary Gygax, for the rules you set forth, the worlds you helped create, and the enrichment you provided to so many lives.

Glad to know that I game online in good company!

-Sturnn Halfbadger, of Argonessen.

This thread is made of win. Has anyone linked it to the official D&D forums yet?

Also, I believe I saw a wallpaper of what I believe is a memorial to Gygax, where is that?
    Last edited by Sebiale; 01-08-2010 at 03:08 AM.
    Flying is not inherently dangerous, crashing is. -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post
    This thread is made of win. Has anyone linked it to the official D&D forums yet?

Also, I believe I saw a wallpaper of what I believe is a memorial to Gygax, where is that?
    http://www.ddo.com/media/galleries/w...g-1024x768.jpg

I meant where is the memorial in-game.
    I know how to find the wallpapers.
    Flying is not inherently dangerous, crashing is. -unknown

Delera's Graveyard.
    THELANIS - Chief Scientist of DARPA
    Ravinex: Bard 18/Fighter 2 - Krotus: 20 Fighter - Hemium: Ranger 18/Fighter 2 - Stema: Favoured Soul 11 - Hemios: Ranger 15/Fighter 1/Monk 1

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post
    This is the only thread I've done that actually mattered. I don't want it to be purged.
    You made the hall of fame geuss it wont get purged now

Havent seen this thread since it was first posted great tribute and still brings a tear to my eye

RIP Gary
    Gemdeath (Gimp Completionist)
    Wolfclan Wharfrat Furios and others. Yes my grammer sucks

Thanks for necro'ing this. This was my first time seeing the pictures of the memorial service and it was touching, even three years later. I still think about all my years of D&D every time I start the Delera's chain and hear his voice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast