Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nice guide. Just thought that I would add something. The attack speed of 2 handed weapons has been equalised now. So anyone rolling a paladin should seriously considers using falchions as you main weapon. This is an especially good weapon for a paladin once you start using your smites and divine sacrifices.

The reason is the large critical range. This means that you have a much better chance of a critical smite. For new players check the auction house regularly for keen falchion. With luck you will find this weapon with a level 2 minimum level. Keen of pure good is even better (level 4 weapon). With a keen falchion you will critical hit on a roll of 15-20 if you are lucky you will critical smite fairly often.

As you level up and get more enhancements in the exalted smite and sacrifice line you will regularly critical smite for big damage. The higher smite enhancements increase the critical threat range and multiplier. I.e. that 15-20 critical range x2 multiple can end up as 13-20 x4. This will almost guarantee regular critical smites. If you factor in power attack and say a bloodstone you are looking at some serious damage output.

My level 16 elven paladin critical smites start at 400 damage and I have seen over 1000 with my greater giant bane thundering falchion :O)
    "Player testers have done an excelent job and I really do appreciate the testing done by the players that report the issues which then get ignored ......."

Community Member Dworkin_of_Amber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hirosue View Post
    Nice guide. Just thought that I would add something. The attack speed of 2 handed weapons has been equalised now. So anyone rolling a paladin should seriously considers using falchions as you main weapon. This is an especially good weapon for a paladin once you start using your smites and divine sacrifices.

The reason is the large critical range. This means that you have a much better chance of a critical smite. For new players check the auction house regularly for keen falchion. With luck you will find this weapon with a level 2 minimum level. Keen of pure good is even better (level 4 weapon). With a keen falchion you will critical hit on a roll of 15-20 if you are lucky you will critical smite fairly often.

As you level up and get more enhancements in the exalted smite and sacrifice line you will regularly critical smite for big damage. The higher smite enhancements increase the critical threat range and multiplier. I.e. that 15-20 critical range x2 multiple can end up as 13-20 x4. This will almost guarantee regular critical smites. If you factor in power attack and say a bloodstone you are looking at some serious damage output.

My level 16 elven paladin critical smites start at 400 damage and I have seen over 1000 with my greater giant bane thundering falchion :O)
    This is a VERY good point. With the balancing of most all the weapons, Falcions are a VERY good options for newer players without the gobs of hoarded loot and ingredients for crafting. Falcions are a bit expensive on the AH because of this (not as bad as Rapiers), but careful shopping will always lead to a few gems to purchase out there.

And for those THF builds, never ever ever forget Carniflex... that is one AMAZING weapon for mid levels
    Benedict, Beldin, Dworkin... too many to list
    Founder: Guild of Amber (Mabar/Argo)

Quote Originally Posted by Dworkin_of_Amber View Post
    Mithran,

Looks like a solid build. How are you liking KotC? I like that PrE, on paper, but the Enhancement requirements seem VERY stiff to me, and seem like they could limit the options of the build... but I haven't looked that deeply into it.

I think she should be a good competent build at Level 20, but I do wonder if CE is really worth it, if you are primarily TWF? I don't know your gear loadout, so I am not sure what kind of AC you are looking at (but it should be 55-ish "around town", and low to mid 60's self-buffed with CE)... Of course, what Feat do you really need? I don't know that +3 Intimidate is really that big of a deal for you.

I think that any Evasion Paladin that is primarily TWF (and has good weapons to play with) should be in good shape for Mod 9 and the foreseeable future. I do have concerns for the SnB builds (including my own), as the Damage output just isn't there...
    I haven't really even begun to work on her A/C, but she's next in line after Nellas. At the moment, she's all dps. Her Dragontouched Outfit has the Sovereign Levik's which was lucky and I haven't really worked out what I'm gonna do with her gear setup. The Circlet of Hatred will eventually take the place of the Intimidate ring that she has, but she's still a relatively new roll. The Seven-Fingered Gloves she pulled on like her second run of the Titan. She's been very lucky, so far.
    The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Mithran View Post
    I haven't really even begun to work on her A/C, but she's next in line after Nellas. At the moment, she's all dps. Her Dragontouched Outfit has the Sovereign Levik's which was lucky and I haven't really worked out what I'm gonna do with her gear setup. The Circlet of Hatred will eventually take the place of the Intimidate ring that she has, but she's still a relatively new roll. The Seven-Fingered Gloves she pulled on like her second run of the Titan. She's been very lucky, so far.
    Glad to hear that it has worked out for you.
    Good Luck, and Good Hunting!

-Dworkin

Community Member

So you sprinkle in a little rogue for UMB, and jack up the INT to just 10, and...sacrifice what?
    Don't talk to me about realism, you're posting in a fantasy role-playing game forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Komitulek View Post
    So you sprinkle in a little rogue for UMB, and jack up the INT to just 10, and...sacrifice what?

The poster who maintained this thread has since left DDO.

I created this thread to replace it:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=218542

Giving up paladin 19 and 20 costs you 3 heavily damage-focused enhancements, though its capable to be an excecllent damage dealer without them, pure paladins built around them are tops in the game quality damage dealers.

wrong thread, wierd

Community Member

Wasn't intending on ever getting remotely close to 19 or 20 Pal, as I was looking at the 7ftr/7pal intimitank (extended to the 20 level limit) when I got to the "ZOMG YOU MUST GET UMD" post.
    Don't talk to me about realism, you're posting in a fantasy role-playing game forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Komitulek View Post
    Wasn't intending on ever getting remotely close to 19 or 20 Pal, as I was looking at the 7ftr/7pal intimitank (extended to the 20 level limit) when I got to the "ZOMG YOU MUST GET UMD" post.
    This is a pretty old post; generally, multiclasses split that evenly will drastically under-perform one that takes mostof its levels in either class.

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    This is a pretty old post; generally, multiclasses split that evenly will drastically under-perform one that takes mostof its levels in either class.
    Pretty strong language there. Some of the very nice 12/6/2 or 12/8 builds are very competitive and fun to play.
    Last edited by Anthios888; 12-18-2009 at 03:27 AM.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    Well my 12 ftr 6 pally 2 monk (kensi/HotD) performs just fine thank you
    "Be good, if you can't be good then be good at it."

#MakeDDOGreatAgain

Community Member

Most appreciated for this, greatly helps me with my current AC pally im building. Didnt take combat expertise though has roughly 32-34 ac standing.

Not quite dead and gone...
    Still lurking a bit in the forums! (my sub doesn't run out until Feb)

But yes, the game has changed considerably since most of this was written, and many of the basic build templates here are no longer competitive at end-game. Primarily the introduction of Monk and the new PrE's have changed the game completely. I would suggest looking at SteeleTrueheart or Junts threads to see what is a better and more viable build, and go from there.

Community Member

Default too much importance on CON

For classes the rely on mulitiple stats like Palindins and Rangers I think too much importance is placed on CON.

Ie. Paladins need WIS for spell points. Yet one guy on here recommends an 8 WIS in favor on CON.

The reason why CON is not as important is that the Toughness feat is cheaper. upto 40pts by lvl4-5 extra taking Toughness yet many builds choose to save it for later levels. I even take if for Rangers that only get 20 pts out of it.

The reason is u die less!

Wisdom is more important because you can heal back the points u are lacking from CON.
    Also Cure Light Wound wands are cheap. Paladins also have Layonhands. In the middle of combat adding 50 to 150 hit points instanaeously is a huge advantage for a tank. Making CON even less important.

For Paladins and Rangers take less INT. Get the STR upto 14-16. The DEX upto 14-16. Pallies need the CHR upto 15-16. Then WIS upto 12-14. (12 is best). I wouldn't do more than 1 for in in WIS, CON, INT.

Rangers can take less CHR and more STR or DEX depending on melee or ranged, weapon finese, bow str.

Pallies should be melee. STR16, DEX12-14, CON10, WIS12-14, INT8, CHR15-17
    depending on how u play it. Using 3pts for 1 stat pt is not good.

Community Member

There are a lot of good things said about evasion pal, especially in end-game.

I don't have a 32 point build, so I've set dex as my dumps stat.

So, my choices right now are to either:
    splash 2 lvl of rogue to get evasion, wear light armor despite of my lack of dex bonus and be of low AC.
    or
    forgo evasion, wear heavy armor, and have high ac.

Which one of the two choices above do you think is more suitable for a frontline melee pal?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimzin1 View Post
    There are a lot of good things said about evasion pal, especially in end-game.

I don't have a 32 point build, so I've set dex as my dumps stat.

So, my choices right now are to either:
    splash 2 lvl of rogue to get evasion, wear light armor despite of my lack of dex bonus and be of low AC.
    or
    forgo evasion, wear heavy armor, and have high ac.

Which one of the two choices above do you think is more suitable for a frontline melee pal?
    This thread is about 2-3 years old and isn't maintained anymore, you'd probably have more luck with the current paladin guide thread, which is also on the first page of this forum, and covers a lot of the tradeoffs involved in this kind of situation.

Junts would you like to explain what "three damage enhancements you skip by not being straight 20 paladin.
    I am aware of the capstone but I am not sure which other two enhancements you are refering to thanx
    Also the synergy with pally/ 2 rogue is nice, 2 monk is nicer (dependant on playstyle) and 2 fighter is a great combination that seems to outperform a capstoned paladin. Also am curious if you have multiclassed a paladin as your statement isn't entirely accurate at all.
    Yes I am insane whats it to you

Quote Originally Posted by Djimonte View Post
    Junts would you like to explain what "three damage enhancements you skip by not being straight 20 paladin.
    I am aware of the capstone but I am not sure which other two enhancements you are refering to thanx
    Also the synergy with pally/ 2 rogue is nice, 2 monk is nicer (dependant on playstyle) and 2 fighter is a great combination that seems to outperform a capstoned paladin. Also am curious if you have multiclassed a paladin as your statement isn't entirely accurate at all.
    In the right thread, yes, I would.

Both of my paladins were 18/2 until very recently, when I used a lesser recarnation to move one of them to pure 20 (about a week and a half ago).

Divine Might 4 is paladin 20
    Divine Sacrifice 3 is paladin 19

Both are fairly significant damage-adders.

I will not respond to further posts in this thread, its a dead thread and I'm not going to continue to necro it and lead to people reading the OP and thinking its current advice.

At the top of tempest spine drinking my big ole beers:)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball241 View Post
    For classes the rely on mulitiple stats like Palindins and Rangers I think too much importance is placed on CON.

Ie. Paladins need WIS for spell points. Yet one guy on here recommends an 8 WIS in favor on CON.

The reason why CON is not as important is that the Toughness feat is cheaper. upto 40pts by lvl4-5 extra taking Toughness yet many builds choose to save it for later levels. I even take if for Rangers that only get 20 pts out of it.

The reason is u die less!

Wisdom is more important because you can heal back the points u are lacking from CON.
    Also Cure Light Wound wands are cheap. Paladins also have Layonhands. In the middle of combat adding 50 to 150 hit points instanaeously is a huge advantage for a tank. Making CON even less important.

For Paladins and Rangers take less INT. Get the STR upto 14-16. The DEX upto 14-16. Pallies need the CHR upto 15-16. Then WIS upto 12-14. (12 is best). I wouldn't do more than 1 for in in WIS, CON, INT.

Rangers can take less CHR and more STR or DEX depending on melee or ranged, weapon finese, bow str.

Pallies should be melee. STR16, DEX12-14, CON10, WIS12-14, INT8, CHR15-17
    depending on how u play it. Using 3pts for 1 stat pt is not good.
    You sir do not have a clue on how to roll an effective paladin. A 12 base con is low, but required for twf paladins. A 10 base con is just not smart. You only need a 14 wis to cast your top spells. So 8 base +2 tome +6 item. You cannot effectively main tank end game bosses with a 10 base con. You do not have enough time in the game to give such bad advice.
    Toons are in a constant state of flux. Khyber server.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    Maybe your forum name should be lord_of_halfling_rage then...

Default Sticky!

removed didnt know this was old until i read further down.
    Last edited by coldname; 08-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Free Aranticus!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast