Default Fred and feat chains

I have a level seven Barb that I built as a two weapon fighter. I took two handed fighting and improved two handed to help me get through the first few levels more easily and went to Fred to switch these feats out at level seven. The only choice it gave me was to switch ITHF for TWF. So now I have THF and TWF. (Waiting for the three days to pass.) My issue is that I don't think I will be able to switch THF for ITWF. Am I right and am I screwed? Re-rolling is not an option. I used three tomes on this guy and they are three of the few tomes I have picked up in nearly two years of playing. (And I play a lot.) Why is there no way to swap out comparable feat chains such as THF and TWF. Is there any way I can get this fixed?

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

Shelve him till Monkey grip makes it into the game and dual wield greataxes!!!
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreaper View Post
    I have a level seven Barb that I built as a two weapon fighter. I took two handed fighting and improved two handed to help me get through the first few levels more easily and went to Fred to switch these feats out at level seven. The only choice it gave me was to switch ITHF for TWF. So now I have THF and TWF. (Waiting for the three days to pass.) My issue is that I don't think I will be able to switch THF for ITWF. Am I right and am I screwed? Re-rolling is not an option. I used three tomes on this guy and they are three of the few tomes I have picked up in nearly two years of playing. (And I play a lot.) Why is there no way to swap out comparable feat chains such as THF and TWF. Is there any way I can get this fixed?
    Aye, the problem is you should have not switched ITHF for TWF since you really want to end up with TWF where THF is/was and IRWF where ITHF was... This is a problem with changing out entire feat chains for another feat chain. You have to back them out top to bottom which very much means you must substitute a feat for something you do not want at the top - as a place holder - in the wait time of getting down to the bottom... It is more costly but is really the only way to do it because the system holds the chains, levels to DnD rules.

ie. switch out ITHF for something like dodge, then 3 days switch out THF for TWF, then in 3 days after that switch out dodge for ITWF. <- total of three switches...

Now you must do three switches still... you need to switch out TWF(where it is now) for something else... then 3 days THF replace with TWF ... then in 3 days where something else(where TWF was before) replace it with ITWF. <- a bit more cost and wait time but gets you there.

If you need some more explaination feel free to ask me... and if you're on Khyber and need a shard or something just let me know.
    Last edited by Emili; 01-26-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

One way to try and think about things is that every feat change must meet the following criteria. The feat you are replacing must be replaced with something you could have taken at the time you took the orignal feat. So if you changing out a feat you took at 3rd character level, you can only replace it with another feat you could have taken when you were 3rd level.

I ran into this kind of issue with my capped Ranger. Wanted to take Imp:Crit Pierce and drop it in the slot I had for Precision (taken at 3rd level IIRC). I had available: Precision (3d level), Weapon Finesse (9th level). I wanted to keep Weapon Finesse, so I had to do the swap for the 9th level slot (Weapon Finesse - which has no level requirement, for Improved Crit: BAB 8), which a 9th level Ranger meets. Then three days later and not a lot of questing, I then swapped the 3rd level feats Precision for Weapon Finesse. I ended up with what I wanted, but had to make two switches to meet all the requirements.

This ensures that you cannot bork the system and end up with more high level feats than you should be able to. It can be a royal pain with feat chains, but at least it is doable now. You can also get a free respec by starting the Dragonmark quests too IIRC and just not taking a Dragonmark.
    Sarlona - The Ko Brotherhood :Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8+4E; Hennako-Human Cleric22; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15; lots more

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Yes, you need a threeway feat switch.

ITHF to (place holder feat)
    THF to TWF
    (place holder feat) to ITWF.

On the plus side, you can get a free feat respec from completing the Hall of the Mark. So, you still only need 2 dragonshards.

Well that is pretty much what I thought. What a poorly planned system.

The bad part is that I hit level 8 today and took ITWF so now I am looking at a week or so to get this resolved.

Thanks for the help. And thanks for the offer Emili but I am on Argo. I have one more imperfect shard and the Dragon Mark test. I do have five or six high level shards. I guess the last feat change will have to wait until I can use one of them.

I guess that's what I get for trying to use the feats that benefit me more at the time. I had issues trying to refeat my mc Ranger's favored enemy also. Someone needs to shoot Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreaper View Post
    What a poorly planned system.
    I concur.
    Have a question about the Eberron Setting?
    Ask a Loremaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge View Post
    I concur.
    I agree also... and is in the way thier UI for respec is deigned to handle only one exchange at a time is the problem. Now of course they have the delema of keeping your feats within bounds of the rules. The way it should work is to list all the feats you have showing the class/level they were taken on one side of a form... and let you rebuild the entire thing on the other side of the form. Then given that it's ligit in DnD rules... show you the entire costs in both shards and money and then enable an acceptance button should you have the expenses covered.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour